PlayStation VR is getting a huge price drop - is it struggling?

• 93 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

From Eurogamer.

‘Sony is slashing the price of PlayStation VR Starter Pack in Europe, from £349 down to £259.

If you live in a place which uses Euros, the new price is €299, down from €399.

The new price goes live from tomorrow morning - so don't buy one until then!

The PlayStation VR Starter Pack includes a headset, PlayStation Camera and a download code for PlayStation VR Worlds. All PSVR owners also get The Playroom VR free.’

Seems like a really big drop. Is this a desperation move?

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

It was always a gimmick. PSVR is Sony's Kinect. Nintendo traumatized MS and Sony so much that they're still trying to emulate the success of the Wii.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

All VR Headsets are dropping in price, especially now with new versions around the corner.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

The PS4 started at $399 and now retails for $249. Is it struggling? Stupid thread.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:

It was always a gimmick. PSVR is Sony's Kinect. Nintendo traumatized MS and Sony so much that they're still trying to emulate the success of the Wii.

It's objectively not a gimmick. VR has proven itself at this point. VR has likely been a topic of discussion at Sony before the Wii was even conceived.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blueberry_Bandit

PSVR is doing just fine. Sales projections have been consistently met, and Sony are overall happy with how sales are going. A price drop was expected to happen sometime this year.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

It only needs more games like RE7, **** that was great!

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

New VR headsets are coming, all headsets are dropping in price (Gen 1)

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Howmakewood  Online
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

It's a pretty great headset the downfall is the device powering it

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

No.

New VR headsets are on their way, the price drop is normal for a 1st gen device. It’s been out on the market for almost a year and half already.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Well it is a gimmick so yes, and for all those who say that the PSVR is a success, well Sony is quick to announce its PS4 sales, PSVR not so much.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Likely. It's a super niche thing. Should have come out at a mass market price in the first place like people were expecting.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44056 Posts

Like a fish outta water. lol :P

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blueberry_Bandit

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Likely. It's a super niche thing. Should have come out at a mass market price in the first place like people were expecting.

People weren't being realistic. Nothing comes out with a mass market price at first.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm really enjoying mine still but you need to figure out which games you personally like in the medium. Personally I don't like games with forward motion while walking as it gives me a headache.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

VR still infant...

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Current gen VR is amazing. Bought my PSVR for 200 euros last black friday and man, it's much more immersive than i thought it would be! It doesn't replace normal gaming, of course, but it's a game changing experience (in the best possible way).

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

The Oculus Go has everybody spooked into a price war on VR headsets. Good time to buy!

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FanboyMcTroll
Member since 2017 • 274 Posts

@boycie: The VR will be collecting dust by Christmas like the Guitar Hero instruments now that are in bargain bins. Just the latest fad like 3D Tv's, where are they now??

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

To be honest who is even talking about VR anymore aside from the small dedicated groups online?... We have yet to see a killer app on any platform for VR, seems as the industry has just moved on silently without even a second glance at VR.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

Going by cows logic.....absolutely. Why else would Sony drop the price of the "highest selling VR headset" if it weren't.

Cows have confirmed over and over and over again...... price drops == struggling. FACT

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@fanboymctroll said:

@boycie: The VR will be collecting dust by Christmas like the Guitar Hero instruments now that are in bargain bins. Just the latest fad like 3D Tv's, where are they now??

3D TVs are the worst comparison you could come up with regards to VR. Infact, there are no comparisons. It's unlikely anything humanity has ever produced. VR will continue to develop more and more until it becomes a teleportation device, and so much more.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blueberry_Bandit

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

To be honest who is even talking about VR anymore aside from the small dedicated groups online?... We have yet to see a killer app on any platform for VR, seems as the industry has just moved on silently without even a second glance at VR.

Gaming didn't have killer apps at the start. It took a while for those to pop up. That's how this will play out.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@blueberry_bandit: I hope so... Because I am waiting to pull the trigger but I don't wont to beta test hardware. I do that enough with software.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blueberry_Bandit

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@blueberry_bandit: I hope so... Because I am waiting to pull the trigger but I don't wont to beta test hardware. I do that enough with software.

We already know of 4 games that will likely be killer apps. 3 of them are the Valve games, and the other is Respawn Entertainment's big budget VR FPS game coming out in 2019. There will no doubt be more announced this year.

FanboyMcTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FanboyMcTroll
Member since 2017 • 274 Posts

@blueberry_bandit: VR is not selling, that is why there is a price drop. Real gamers aren't going to spend the money on a 15 minute gimmick, the price of the whole system is also a deterrent.

last I heard VR was going to be used in real estate for viewing homes for sale, I could see it in that application but for gaming no way, you could not fit enough memory to run a full 200 hour VR game. It's also too expensive for most people to afford, the head set, the computer to run it, the sensors, the controllers, it's cheaper to just buy the newest gaming console and play games in 4K

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@blueberry_bandit said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

We already know of 4 games that will likely be killer apps. 3 of them are the Valve games, and the other is Respawn Entertainment's big budget VR FPS game coming out in 2019. There will no doubt be more announced this year.

Interdasting...

I guess more wait. Still I have notice a HUGE drop off in media buzz and the industry in general seems to have just slipped slowly away from VR talk. I guess they only talk about pop items so that's nothing new but it is a little worrying hopefully VR sticks around I would love to see more high quality games for it that work and function with little to no immersion breaking VR trade offs.

Current state is still meh as a consumer though.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blueberry_Bandit
@fanboymctroll said:

@blueberry_bandit: VR is not selling, that is why there is a price drop. Real gamers aren't going to spend the money on a 15 minute gimmick, the price of the whole system is also a deterrent.

last I heard VR was going to be used in real estate for viewing homes for sale, I could see it in that application but for gaming no way, you could not fit enough memory to run a full 200 hour VR game. It's also too expensive for most people to afford, the head set, the computer to run it, the sensors, the controllers, it's cheaper to just buy the newest gaming console and play games in 4K

I'm not sure what you're talking about with regards to memory, but you can easily make a 200 hour VR game, something on the scale of Witcher 3 on current gen systems. It's a matter of budget and time, as well as design decisions.

And VR is selling. Every sales projection is being met.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Blueberry_Bandit

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Interdasting...

I guess more wait. Still I have notice a HUGE drop off in media buzz and the industry in general seems to have just slipped slowly away from VR talk. I guess they only talk about pop items so that's nothing new but it is a little worrying hopefully VR sticks around I would love to see more high quality games for it that work and function with little to no immersion breaking VR trade offs.

Current state is still meh as a consumer though.

That's how all new tech mediums work. It's called the gartner hype cycle. First there's a bunch of hype that no technology ever lives up to, and then over time it builds up to meet those expectations again.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@PAL360 said:

Current gen VR is amazing. Bought my PSVR for 200 euros last black friday and man, it's much more immersive than i thought it would be! It doesn't replace normal gaming, of course, but it's a game changing experience (in the best possible way).

yup.

combat in elite dangerous in VR is friggin awesome.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kingtito

@blueberry_bandit said:
@fanboymctroll said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about with regards to memory, but you can easily make a 200 hour VR game, something on the scale of Witcher 3 on current gen systems. It's a matter of budget and time, as well as design decisions.

And VR is selling. Every sales projection is being met.

Well according to cow logic(an oxymoron) it's not selling. Why else would there be a price drop.....cow logic :)

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#32 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@tryit said:
@PAL360 said:

yup.

combat in elite dangerous in VR is friggin awesome.

Man, i love Elite Dangerous but it's still not compatible with PSVR. Maybe it's too demanding....but i still have my hopes.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@PAL360: I like your perspective about it not replacing regular gaming. I don't think people grasp that concept. I love mine but only use it about once or twice a week now to mess around. 90% of my gaming is still going to be on the tv. But VR is still awesome to have around. And I know it's only going to get better.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TryIt

@joshrmeyer said:

@PAL360: I like your perspective about it not replacing regular gaming. I don't think people grasp that concept. I love mine but only use it about once or twice a week now to mess around. 90% of my gaming is still going to be on the tv. But VR is still awesome to have around. And I know it's only going to get better.

that is what he said, and I agree with him and so do you.

he said it will not replace traditional gaming and I think most people with VR experience would agree with that.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@kingtito: it's been out for almost a year and a half. It's due for a price drop. Struggling is when something gets a price drop very shortly after release. A new psvr is probably within 2 years away also. Tech is advancing fast.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@boycie said:

I'd don't think "desperation" is the right word to use here, but definitely a logical move.

The thing is as expensive as a console but you also need to console to play with the device, that's a bad combination if you ask me.

At that price point it's a all or nothing purchase. You'd have to be all in and sold on everything VR is or you'd pass on it as an optional gimick.

Also I feel it needs a big AAA spokesmen like game to push it into main stream. Something like the new Spiderman or something.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TryIt

@tgob89 said:
@boycie said:

I'd don't think "desperation" is the right word to use here, but definitely a logical move.

The thing is as expensive as a console but you also need to console to play with the device, that's a bad combination if you ask me.

At that price point it's a all or nothing purchase. You'd have to be all in and sold on everything VR is or you'd pass on it as an optional gimick.

Also I feel it needs a big AAA spokesmen like game to push it into main stream. Something like the new Spiderman or something.

your getting a few things wrong here.

1. .you dont 'need' the device. you only 'need' the device to play a game in an VR experience.

2. a porche is more expensive then a ford fesita. is a Porche better? well it depends on what you want to do doesnt?

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

PS5 with new VR headset confirmed.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

It was time for a price cut anyways since PSVR was release a year-in-a-half already.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

Cheaper production costs and all VR headsets are getting a price drop. Sony is actually pretty late for the PSVR price drop - so it's far from desperation.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kingtito

@joshrmeyer said:

@kingtito: it's been out for almost a year and a half. It's due for a price drop. Struggling is when something gets a price drop very shortly after release. A new psvr is probably within 2 years away also. Tech is advancing fast.

Whooooshhhh!!!!!! :)

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

VR is amazing. Anyone who tells you otherwise is salty because they own an xbone which promised them vr but that fell through obviously lol.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Plenty of devs and gamers are talking about VR. More developers were interested in VR than Xbox One at the beginning of 2017 indicated by surveys. The technology is rapidly developing, allowing lower production costs and increased competition; occulus go is an indication of this. I would say the industry is moving closer to VR, just as they are with mobile.

Sony is most likely preparing an answer to this. In the meantime, they will have to drop the prices on their current headsets. Sucks for early adopters, but that's the name of the game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#44 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

PSVR sales are poor but the Sony fannies say its doing great.

PSVR price drops are frequent and Sony fannies say that it doing great.

If you replace PSVR with any other device such a notion would be ridiculous but fanboys will be fanboys.

Eddie_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Eddie_2
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

Looking at the games that have been released recently, it doesn't seem to struggle at all.

The new price point is probably like the old PS3/PS4 price. Keep it high at first to get as much money from gamers as possible, then release it for a cheaper price (with minor changes to warrant a price drop) to get more people to buy it.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Blueberry_Bandit

@Pedro said:

If you replace PSVR with any other device such a notion would be ridiculous but fanboys will be fanboys.

Okay, lets do that then.

Replace PSVR with a PC from the 1970s. Now tell me, which PC in the 1970s even managed to reach a million lifetime sales? I'll await your answer.

How about the Magnavox Odyssey console which sold 350k?

How about the first smartphones that also happened to sell similar numbers?

And no, you cannot suddenly bring up Kinect, Wii, or other such devices because none of those are entire tech mediums.

PSVR has hit internal sales targets, so clearly it's doing fine.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kingtito

@blueberry_bandit said:
@Pedro said:

Okay, lets do that then.

Replace PSVR with a PC from the 1970s. Now tell me, which PC in the 1970s even managed to reach a million lifetime sales? I'll await your answer.

And no, you cannot suddenly bring up Kinect, Wii, or other such devices because none of those are entire tech mediums.

I'm sorry but THAT example is absolutely LOL worthy. I mean PCs from the 70s? Weren't those 1000s of $$$$$?

You think VR tech is new? I think you've spiked the VR kool-aid and drank the entire batch dude. It's not THAT impressive

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Blueberry_Bandit

@kingtito said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@Pedro said:

Okay, lets do that then.

I'm sorry but THAT example is absolutely LOL worthy. I mean PCs from the 70s? Weren't those 1000s of $$$$$?

You think VR tech is new? I think you've spiked the VR kool-aid and drank the entire batch dude. It's not THAT impressive

VR has never had a proper entry into the consumer market until now. It doesn't matter how long VR has been used in labs or in institutions. The consumer push didn't happen until the current batch of headsets.

This is the fairest comparison you can possibly make.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#49  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

@blueberry_bandit said:
@Pedro said:

Okay, lets do that then.

LMAO you are so desperate to make a point that you have to go to a timeframe where computers were a novelty. This is to funny, comparing modern sales to sales 48 years ago where the market was smaller and near non existent. LMAO. My point has been made.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#50 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

Probably the stupidest thread in awhile. That's like saying "Ps4 got a price drop it's struggling" everything gets a price drop at some point, psvr is almost 2 years old.