SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45088 Posts

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-17/playstation-chief-criticizes-activision-response-to-allegations

Sony Group Corp.’s PlayStation Chief Jim Ryan admonished Activision Blizzard Inc. Wednesday for an inadequate response to allegations that Chief Executive Officer Bobby Kotick was aware of sexual misconduct and harassment claims at the game publisher for years and that he had mistreated women.

In an email to employees reviewed by Bloomberg, Ryan linked to the Wall Street Journal’s Tuesday report. He wrote that he and his leadership were “disheartened and frankly stunned to read” that Activision “has not done enough to address a deep-seated culture of discrimination and harassment.”

“We outreached to Activision immediately after the article was published to express our deep concern and to ask how they plan to address the claims made in the article,” he wrote. “We do not believe their statements of response properly address the situation.”

As one of the video game industry’s biggest console manufacturers, Sony has long had a close relationship with Activision, which produces hits like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft. In addition to publishing most of its games on PlayStation consoles, Activision has worked with Sony on elaborate marketing deals. The last few entries in the Call of Duty series, including this year’s Call of Duty: Vanguard, have featured exclusive modes and content for the PlayStation.

What do you think, SW? Will Sony go further with this if they're not happy with Activision's actions? Go as far as to pull their games from the service? That would be a pretty bold statement.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Its just a PR move, but I approve of it. Bobby Kotick is a garbage human being.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10587 Posts

Considering how Sony and Activision have several exclusivity deals with each other, I think Sony just have a vested interest to keep their noses clean while Activision is imploding.

That's how I read it. I dunno, not really following this whole ActiBlizz mess. Just hope they can sort themselves out and the people affected get what they deserve.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

PR

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Yay! Jim Ryan does something good. Very nice. The clock has definitely got to be ticking down for Bobby Kotick.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

If they actually cared they'd pull all Activision-Blizzard-King content from their stores.

I mean FFS they pulled Cyberpunk and gave refunds when it was a buggy mess, but when a company has a culture that essentially forced a girl to commit suicide because a picture of her vagina was circulated at work, the CEO literally called a subordinate and said "I will fucking kill you", and has repeated abuses of rape and sexual assault, what does Sony do?

Wag their finger? Give me a break.

MS should do their part as well.

I think all these companies need to remove their products from their respective stores. It would be a good first step, and frankly get the ball rolling because I think a lot of players would follow suit as well.

@Archangel3371 said:

Yay! Jim Ryan does something good. Very nice. The clock has definitely got to be ticking down for Bobby Kotick.

Unfortunately it looks like he gets a $250 million termination bonus in the event he is fired or laid off.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#8 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15910 Posts

Yeah will be surprised if the activision guy still in the CEO role by morning.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

Execs are offering these empty platitudes after Activision's been exposed like they haven't been letting shit slide for years. This is an industry-wide problem and more companies need to be cleaning house. The shit that went down at Activision was gross, but I'm sure Sony has some atrocious shit in their HR files as well.

Don't pat yourself on the back for doing the bare minimum because assholes like Kotick and Guillemot are taking the heat. Use this as a true opportunity to restructure. Actions, not words, go a long way.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

PR move lol.

If Sony actually cares, they'd stop all the COD/sony exclusive deals anyway they can.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:

PR move lol.

If Sony actually cares, they'd stop all the COD/sony exclusive deals anyway they can.

Yep. that's why I'm not impressed by this at all.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Woa playstation calling out the big dogs whos the big dog now wow

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

If they pull Activision games. DO IT! Seamus Blackley hates Kotick's ass too!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371

@mrbojangles25: Hopefully there’ll be some clauses in there that will prevent him from getting such a termination bonus. From the sound of it though he should probably get more then simply fired or laid off.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

@sakaixx said:

I'd be more shocked if he WASN'T. The board of directors already said they still support Kotick. As long as the company is gonna turn a profit, they're gonna still let him cook.

The comments from Jim Ryan is just empty lip service meant to placate the public, and give the illusion that they're doing something to take a stand, while doing nothing at all. If Sony wants to truly take a stand, end business ties with Activision Blizzard until Kotick resigns or is removed. Want to REALLY send a message? Remove their products from their digital storefronts until he's gone.

It'll never happen, though. It's a business, after all.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:
@sakaixx said:

I'd be more shocked if he WASN'T. The board of directors already said they still support Kotick. As long as the company is gonna turn a profit, they're gonna still let him cook.

The comments from Jim Ryan is just empty lip service meant to placate the public, and give the illusion that they're doing something to take a stand, while doing nothing at all. If Sony wants to truly take a stand, end business ties with Activision Blizzard until Kotick resigns or is removed. Want to REALLY send a message? Remove their products from their digital storefronts until he's gone.

It'll never happen, though. It's a business, after all.

If Kotick resigns or is removed, he should not get any "golden parachute" (generous payment to compel him to resign) or receive any pension. His resignation or removal means nothing if he receives either or both of these things. He needs to leave the company in disgrace, not with honor.

As for the board of directors, its members need to be removed and shareholders need to replace them with members who will take Activision Blizzard in a new direction.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8197 Posts

Well what do you expect them to say? That what they did was awesome?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38800 Posts

Everyone is just piling in lol Bobby will lost his job. I think we have reached a point that him making Activision a shitload of money doesn't matter anymore. Fire this worm and find another one🤭

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

If they actually cared they'd pull all Activision-Blizzard-King content from their stores.

I mean FFS they pulled Cyberpunk and gave refunds when it was a buggy mess, but when a company has a culture that essentially forced a girl to commit suicide because a picture of her vagina was circulated at work, the CEO literally called a subordinate and said "I will fucking kill you", and has repeated abuses of rape and sexual assault, what does Sony do?

Wag their finger? Give me a break.

MS should do their part as well.

I think all these companies need to remove their products from their respective stores. It would be a good first step, and frankly get the ball rolling because I think a lot of players would follow suit as well.

@Archangel3371 said:

Unfortunately it looks like he gets a $250 million termination bonus in the event he is fired or laid off.

The issue with pulling the games is that it doesn't address the actual issue. All who are involved in these behaviors should be dealt with accordingly but potentially tanking the company by delisting their games would hurt the most vulnerable people in the company.

Folks like Bobby can be fired with a huge severance package that would undermine being fired as a punishment. The manner in which these things are dealt with is so counterproductive when they are not criminally handled.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2563 Posts

Both are probably in the bed together laughing; And even if any action is made and hurts a big company like Activision the ones that would be fired will be the employees that are being mistreated.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

You ppl saying Sony would remove their games from psn are out if their mind lol, COD makes Sony a shit ton of money

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@howmakewood said:

You ppl saying Sony would remove their games from psn are out if their mind lol, COD makes Sony a shit ton of money

Yeah, that's why I said this is a PR move. No way they're gonna let Acti/Blizzard off their stores. Money > morals for these corporations.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46223 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Hopefully the board of directors lets him go.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34594 Posts

Yeah, distancing Sony from Activision's crap. Guess it's a smart move. I don't see how this is doing something about the problem, as opposed to just caring for his own and his company's skin, though. They're still gonna take all the cash they get from cooperating with Activision.

"We don't approve of your actions, but we support them". Is pretty much what I get from this.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23902 Posts

Normally I dont like saying positive things about the playstation department. But I approve of what Sony is doing here.

But it ultimately comes down to virtue signalling in the end. Sony needs to go further. A step in the right direction though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

Bollocks masquerading as morality.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Jim is a liar

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Hopefully the board of directors lets him go.

They won't.

Meet the Board Members Supporting Bobby Kotick

Yes, I know, It's a Kotaku article (*groan*) but it has some good information if you can get through the self-righteous indignation.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46223 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

They won't.

Meet the Board Members Supporting Bobby Kotick

Yes, I know, It's a Kotaku article (*groan*) but it has some good information if you can get through the self-righteous indignation.

Got some spare time, definitely reading up on the worst company in gaming. Thanks!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44047 Posts

Eh, that's all I got for this. lol :P

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Grand standing, nothing will come of this. If I’m wrong, everyone wins.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Archangel3371

@SecretPolice: That’s all I needed. Thanks. 😅

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44047 Posts

@Archangel3371:

You sir are more than welcome. ;)

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Well, if he feels sure enough on the matter to circulate internal communications on Kotick, then he's in the rare position of being able to act meaningfully on those convictions...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

While certainly a valid criticism I can't imagine the CEO of a large company like Sony hasn't been aware of sexual misconduct allegations at their own company that have been swept under the rug.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

To those who say it's just a PR move: everything a CEO does or say is a PR move, whether it's sincere from the heart or just a line fed up by his PR department.

I give Jim a thumbs up for what he did, not going to cheer for him or anything but he could've just as easily stay quiet.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

At least they put some pressure on them i am sure ms will too, you know the saying goes “Sony leads and MS follows” Holy Book of PlayStation verse 1:23 😘

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

@sheep99: Not sure about that. Sony has realistic leverage, since they were (presumably) shovelling extra cash or special favours Acti's way in exchange for exclusive content. Fingers crossed they'll end that if they're not satisfied with the response, as, by the sound of things, Jim seems to have some inside knowledge or sth on the accusations. I highly doubt any major platform's about to pull the plug on Activision completely though.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4364 Posts

First, take a big step back... and literally, (censored) YOUR OWN FACE! I don't know what kind of pan-pacific bull(--) power play you're trying to pull here, but Asia Jack is my territory. So whatever you're thinking, you'd better think again! Otherwise I'm gonna have to head down there and I will rain down an un-Godly (censored) firestorm upon you! You're gonna have to call the United Nations and get a (-----) binding resolution to keep me from(----)destroying you. I'm talking scorched earth, (censored) ! I will massacre you! I WILL DUCK YOU UP!

i had fun edit this a bit. i never thought i be able to use this with a meme of the character.

thank you. you made my day!

@SolidGame_basic said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-17/playstation-chief-criticizes-activision-response-to-allegations

Sony Group Corp.’s PlayStation Chief Jim Ryan admonished Activision Blizzard Inc. Wednesday for an inadequate response to allegations that Chief Executive Officer Bobby Kotick was aware of sexual misconduct and harassment claims at the game publisher for years and that he had mistreated women.

In an email to employees reviewed by Bloomberg, Ryan linked to the Wall Street Journal’s Tuesday report. He wrote that he and his leadership were “disheartened and frankly stunned to read” that Activision “has not done enough to address a deep-seated culture of discrimination and harassment.”

“We outreached to Activision immediately after the article was published to express our deep concern and to ask how they plan to address the claims made in the article,” he wrote. “We do not believe their statements of response properly address the situation.”

As one of the video game industry’s biggest console manufacturers, Sony has long had a close relationship with Activision, which produces hits like Call of Duty and World of Warcraft. In addition to publishing most of its games on PlayStation consoles, Activision has worked with Sony on elaborate marketing deals. The last few entries in the Call of Duty series, including this year’s Call of Duty: Vanguard, have featured exclusive modes and content for the PlayStation.

What do you think, SW? Will Sony go further with this if they're not happy with Activision's actions? Go as far as to pull their games from the service? That would be a pretty bold statement.

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

All you have to do is look at the guys face (kotick) and see that somethings is wrong there. Anyways, good for Jim.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

Hollow words. What's Jimmy going to do about it? He's "disheartened" all the way to the bank.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6861 Posts

Pulling games is stupid and does nothing but hurts your consumer. Maybe end some of the exclusive and bundle deals if you like. Regardless Activision/Blizzard has been trash for awhile and it will without question get worse.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts
@fedor said:

Its just a PR move, but I approve of it. Bobby Kotick is a garbage human being.

I agree with this. Kotick is a garbage human being.

https://www.businessinsider.com/activision-ceo-bobby-kotick-reportedly-threatened-former-assistant-killed-2021-11

https://wccftech.com/activision-board-supports-bobby-kotick-playstation-ryan-xbox-spencer-concern/

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: https://www.techtimes.com/articles/268247/20211119/playstation-secretly-removes-call-duty-vanguard-removal-possibly-linked-allegations.htm

They actually did something this time. I’m honestly shocked.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

Bobby Kotick isn't the problem, its the whole damn Board of Directors that all needs to be Fired! Until they all go, Bobby will still be in power,

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Activision can burn down in flames for all I care, and I won't shed a tear.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38800 Posts

Andrew Wilson The Cyborg and Bobby Kotick The Demon are two very special individuals. Don't let them bread.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

So now Sony, MS, and Nintendo have all sent internal memos about this, all of which have leaked. That can't be a good look for Kodick, since he still refuses to step down.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@techhog89 said:

So now Sony, MS, and Nintendo have all sent internal memos about this, all of which have leaked. That can't be a good look for Kodick, since he still refuses to step down.

This is all great news to me; more industries and people with high influence need to start doing stuff like this: singling out the bad actors.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#50 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@jaydan said:
@techhog89 said:

This is all great news to me; more industries and people with high influence need to start doing stuff like this: singling out the bad actors.

Honestly, GabeN and Sweeney need to say something too.