Playing Sekiro on consoles is truly awful

#1 Posted by misrespect (84 posts) -

Imagine parrying in sub 30-40fps. What a terrible thing to endure in a game that gives you no room to screw up. Which leads me to this question. If next gen consoles don't guarantee 60fps, will you go PC only?

#2 Edited by KungfuKitten (26414 posts) -

I have almost finished the game with an Xbox One controller with the crap shoulderbuttons. If I can do that, you can get through an unstable 30 fps :P

I already game a lot on PC so I am outside the target audience of your question. But for me I won't buy a PS5 if the load times are not significantly improved. That's my major gripe with the PS4. (How long does it take to die and go back to playing in Sekiro? It isn't like Bloodborne I hope. I literally played small puzzle games while waiting for Bloodborne to load.)

#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (27570 posts) -

Haven’t played Sekiro yet but when I do it’ll be on console specifically the Xbox One. Not being able to play it at 60fps isn’t ideal but I’ll manage. As for next gen consoles and whether they guarantee 60fps or not won’t factor into if I decide to go PC or not because I’m just not interested in gaming on PC for a number of reasons so I’ll be sticking to consoles regardless.

#4 Posted by lundy86_4 (52666 posts) -

@KungfuKitten: I'm annoyed cos i've busted one of the bumpers on my Elite. I've had to order a replacement part. I've since switched the bumpers and triggers, because slamming the triggers all day long is fine.

#5 Posted by glez13 (9915 posts) -

The problem isn't the framerate, the problem is the awful frametimes and that has been a problem with every single of their games/engines since Demons Souls, the game basically freezes on the big spikes, and if it isn't that it's an awful stutter every now and then. There are plenty of games that deliver close to proper frametimes even when the framerate is variable, From has always failed at this.

#6 Posted by Ant_17 (12124 posts) -

@lundy86_4: the biggest flaw since the 360. And I always break the left bumper so I can't swap it.

#7 Posted by robert_sparkes (2914 posts) -

Crazy how fast these consoles have become dated technology has moved incredibly fast in the past decade.

#8 Posted by Pedro (33921 posts) -

If only consoles were the problem with this game if only.

#9 Posted by briguyb13 (2956 posts) -

Not interested in gaming on PC.

#10 Edited by MirkoS77 (14050 posts) -

Sekiro is best on PC. Aside the solid 60 frame rate, it allows me to use Cheatengine, which I’ll need if I ever hope to finish it. I can at least change the damage done with each enemy strike because 1-2 hits to death is ****ing bull****.

#11 Posted by Pedro (33921 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Sekiro is best on PC. Aside the solid 60 frame rate, it allows me to use Cheatengine, which I’ll need if I ever hope to finish it. I can at least change the damage done with each enemy strike because 1-2 hits as is is fucking bull.

Be careful there buddy. You don't want the brain dead git gud army coming for you. :P

#12 Edited by MirkoS77 (14050 posts) -

@Pedro: eh, I’ve heard enough from them already. :) No shame here.

#13 Posted by Pedro (33921 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

The hit boxes in the game is also less than diserable. Its without a doubt the lameness in their combat design has not changed.

#14 Posted by lamprey263 (36041 posts) -

My only issue is button mapping, using triggers and bumpers for attacks feels pretty shit.

#15 Posted by XVision84 (15786 posts) -

Gonna do same thing I did this gen. PS5 + PC. Did the same thing last gen too ;).

#16 Posted by TheEroica (18384 posts) -

This is rubbish... Weak willed gamers who complain about framerates would've never been able to handle legacy games.... Its rubbish.

#17 Posted by MirkoS77 (14050 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@MirkoS77 said:

The hit boxes in the game is also less than diserable. Its without a doubt the lameness in their combat design has not changed.

Yea, hitboxes are pretty questionable. I like FROM's combat, but believe a lot of gamers are attributing poor/imbalanced design to the fault of the gamer and not the designer. I've played plenty of games that are very hard but fair, and FROM's games don't feel that way. They a lot of the times feel cheap.

#18 Posted by pmanden (586 posts) -

I am not interested in PC, and frame rates are not going to change that.

#19 Posted by pyro1245 (4920 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Sekiro is best on PC. Aside the solid 60 frame rate, it allows me to use Cheatengine, which I’ll need if I ever hope to finish it. I can at least change the damage done with each enemy strike because 1-2 hits as is is fucking bull.

Be careful there buddy. You don't want the brain dead git gud army coming for you. :P

Eh it's a single player game so who cares? Cheat away, I say!

#20 Edited by pyro1245 (4920 posts) -
@glez13 said:

The problem isn't the framerate, the problem is the awful frametimes and that has been a problem with every single of their games/engines since Demons Souls, the game basically freezes on the big spikes, and if it isn't that it's an awful stutter every now and then. There are plenty of games that deliver close to proper frametimes even when the framerate is variable, From has always failed at this.

Yeah this is the real issue.... From games don't 'lock' at any frame rate... they dance around it. Makes me wonder if the game would run smooth at 60fps if they lowered the settings for consoles. This game should probably have a 'performance' mode like Nioh did. Or maybe it is just a CPU bottleneck issue, who knows.

Horizon Zero Dawn didn't bother me nearly as much as Bloodborne, and they both supposedly run at 30fps.

#21 Posted by VFighter (4794 posts) -

Oh look another insecure PC gamer, how cute.

#22 Posted by XVision84 (15786 posts) -

@MirkoS77: That can't be the case, otherwise no hit runs wouldn't be possible

#23 Edited by MirkoS77 (14050 posts) -

Oh yeeaaaaah, infinite healing gourd. Come at me bitches. Game’s still hard with this though as if you back off to heal the enemies recover their posture. At least I’ll be able to see the rest of the game though.

#24 Posted by MirkoS77 (14050 posts) -

@XVision84: alright, well.....then I just suck.

#25 Posted by lundy86_4 (52666 posts) -

@Ant_17: They only have a small piece of plastic to actually allow it to click in and out, so if it breaks, then you either buy new or replace it. Annoying that a $200 controller uses the same mechanism for the bumpers. This is what I grabbed:

#26 Posted by XVision84 (15786 posts) -

@MirkoS77: Everybody does when they start. Part of the fun is getting good! I know it isn't for everyone though, some of my friends don't enjoy it.

#28 Edited by lundy86_4 (52666 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Sekiro is best on PC. Aside the solid 60 frame rate, it allows me to use Cheatengine, which I’ll need if I ever hope to finish it. I can at least change the damage done with each enemy strike because 1-2 hits to death is ****ing bull****.

Yeah, but seriously, it's stupidly difficult. I got to Genichiro's final form at the top of the castle, and at that point had zero Gourds left to heal... Those lightning attacks are brutal.

The multiple stages for already tough bad guys is dumb... People's reaction to the Guardian Ape's second form is just being purely dumbfounded.

#29 Edited by MirkoS77 (14050 posts) -

Difficulty is a balance for me and a very fine line to walk for developers. I get a great feeling of accomplishment when I’ve defeated hard enemies in Sekiro, but that’s always weighed against frustration that’s built up through redundant attempts. And that redundancy gets worse the further in the game I progress. If the bosses remained around the same difficulty throughout I wouldn’t have an issue but they don’t. They build up until they quickly enter the realm of the absurd and unenjoyable.

I won’t disagree it’s a matter of skill as in a few weeks I’ll be able to watch a no hit/no upgrade Sekiro run on YT, but I don’t believe that absolves the game’s design of all fault. The punishment vs. payoff balance is off.

#30 Edited by lundy86_4 (52666 posts) -

@MirkoS77: I can't even imagine what is needed to properly scale difficulty... Some enemies offer a good sense of satisfaction once you get them down. The Long-Arm Centipede was a pain, until I learned that his perilous attack leaves him open to jumping on his head and causing decent posture damage. I will forever think two-stage bosses with no moment of reprieve, are just stupid.

There will always be some people who can do the most ridiculous things, but obviously it takes crazy skill, along with trial and error.

#31 Posted by pyro1245 (4920 posts) -

What did the Sculptor say?

"Seems to me if someone needs killing, there's a proper way to kill them"

Certain abilities and strategies can make certain fights much more manageable.

#32 Posted by lundy86_4 (52666 posts) -

@pyro1245: Definitely true. Though there aren't many ways to "cheese" an enemy... I did it with Genichiro's first form, as I couldn't be bothered learning every nuance of his attacks. You can just use Shadowrush to whittle him down. Once that second lightning form hit, it was just too much.

#33 Posted by misrespect (84 posts) -
@vfighter said:

insecure about what? All your precious games will be featured on PC in the future

#34 Edited by Zaryia (8178 posts) -
@vfighter said:

Ad-hominem attack in a very clear SW win thread. If this isn't valid subject matter nothing here is.

You're so bad at debating.

#35 Posted by Pedro (33921 posts) -

I am so annoyed with the camera and the lock mechanism which is trash. I have died and continue to die from the stupid camera and lock on. Why is lock on and reset camera on the same freaking button? This problem is amplified with any fast enemy where I am battling the shit camera trying to lock on to the enemy and if I don't lock on my stupid avatar would not attack the nearest enemy. However, enemy literally lock in on you mid attack. The death from camera ratio is currently too damn high on my end.

#36 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25195 posts) -
@Pedro said:

I am so annoyed with the camera and the lock mechanism which is trash. I have died and continue to die from the stupid camera and lock on. Why is lock on and reset camera on the same freaking button? This problem is amplified with any fast enemy where I am battling the shit camera trying to lock on to the enemy and if I don't lock on my stupid avatar would not attack the nearest enemy. However, enemy literally lock in on you mid attack. The death from camera ratio is currently too damn high on my end.

That's why I switched to mouse and keyboard. I'm finding a way easier time playing it now. It was a struggle with the controller for some reason, which is odd, because I played all of the Souls games with controller.

I also hate trying to jump up walls sometimes. Your character gets stuck or decides he can't grab on there, all while being pursued by enemies. Sprint being the same button as dash is also incredibly annoying. It worked in the Souls games, but they weren't nearly as fast paced as this.

#37 Posted by pyro1245 (4920 posts) -
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Pedro said:

That's why I switched to mouse and keyboard. I'm finding a way easier time playing it now. It was a struggle with the controller for some reason, which is odd, because I played all of the Souls games with controller.

I also hate trying to jump up walls sometimes. Your character gets stuck or decides he can't grab on there, all while being pursued by enemies. Sprint being the same button as dash is also incredibly annoying. It worked in the Souls games, but they weren't nearly as fast paced as this.

M&K controls and no lock-on sounds interesting. I had some issues with Gyoubu and the camera flipping out.

Also use quick item being on the left side of the controller is problematic when every fraction of a second counts. I've found myself reaching over for the up button with my right hand.

#38 Posted by Pedro (33921 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

That is also very annoying. I will be like "I am pressing X grab damnit."

#39 Posted by DrLostRib (4772 posts) -

From software does not have the best track record with console performance...or i guess performance in general, but at least on PC there's mods

#40 Posted by Yams1980 (3424 posts) -

I havent played this game, but i heard the PC version has some performance problems also.

#41 Posted by pdogg93 (1528 posts) -

Xboxone is truly the shittiest console

#42 Posted by I_P_Daily (11407 posts) -

@zaryia said:
@vfighter said:

Ad-hominem attack in a very clear SW win thread. If this isn't valid subject matter nothing here is.

And you're so bad at gaming that you have to fake being a PC gamer when you admitted to playing mobile phone games YUCK.

#43 Edited by MirkoS77 (14050 posts) -

Yea I think I’m about done, cheats or otherwise. Even with endless items the game gets beyond absurd later on.

Masochism isn’t enjoyable, it doesn’t give me a massive sense of accomplishment to fight an enemy thirty times to defeat it (especially when I have to kill five to ten lesser enemies around a boss, such as the Drunkard, before he kills me in a minute), all it does is make me feel relieved that it’s finally over when I do. Only to take a few steps and have to do it all over again. Yippee, remind me to try to convince myself of how much fun I’m having.

Being allowed only 1-2 hits in a fight (3-4 with healing items) with the stronger enemies when their moves are telegraphed with only a second of reaction time if that is stupid. FROM doesn’t need to make their games so difficult to be fun because there’s merit in them aside being able to overcome that single aspect. It feels like they make their games so hard just to make a point and not for the game’s benefit. It overrides everything else I’d like to gain enjoyment from: seeing new enemy designs and abilities (along with the unlocking and progression of my own), new environments, new characters, the story, music, mechanics, etc. I cannot get any of that without continually banging my head against the wall to “git gud”. I’ll bet that most people are going to drop this game halfway through. That is not good design IMO, as it’s compromising and locking all other aspects of the game behind a wall of incredible frustration and repetition most people aren’t going to persevere to get through. The very least FROM could do is provide difficulty options (and sure, put a pink ribbon around my ankle if you must, IDGAF) and while cheating is an option, at least on PC, it’s not incorporated in the core design so can contrast badly with other design choices.

Now I feel like I’ve wasted my money on a game I so desperately want to like and see a lot of brilliance in, but in all honesty I simply don’t have the time nor interest to bother with this anymore.

#44 Posted by Litchie (23698 posts) -

Yes, that would indeed suck. Just like how PS4 can't run Bloodborne. But sadly console gamers don't care. I predict 30 fps to continue being the standard on consoles.

#45 Posted by nethernova (5690 posts) -

@misrespect said:

insecure about what?

Your life obviously. The only reason to make silly alt accounts. Go out and do something worthwhile. How about a job?

#46 Edited by naazaniqua (8 posts) -

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is out now on consoles and PC, and it's really justified feeling this crappy 90 percent of the time I'm playing it.

#47 Posted by VFighter (4794 posts) -

@zaryia: Still delusional.

#48 Posted by Epak_ (10641 posts) -

Been doing fine, the enemy AI can be hilarious :D

#49 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (7102 posts) -

@MirkoS77: how did you feel about theor previous games?

#50 Posted by Zaryia (8178 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@zaryia said:
@vfighter said:

And you're so bad at gaming that you have to fake being a PC gamer when you admitted to playing mobile phone games YUCK.

I've played mobile phone games for less than 1 minutes. I've played primarily on PC for 10+ years.

What in the world are you going on about?