Playing console games online vs PC games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

I'm not a big gamer anymore. Pretty much the only games I've played recently are starcraft 2, ducktales remastered, Batman Arkham games and Grand Turismo on my PS3 I remember when the original Fallout came out and I've loved those games ever since so I'll probably pick up Fallout 4.

Is there any reason to pick up one of the new consoles vs just playing games on the PC? I was thinking about it if there is a great black Friday deal in case I want to play some of the console exclusive games or want to use the media features, but don't understand how internet play works on these consoles.

Do you have to pay a monthly fee for the system in order to access internet contenent or is it for each game or program? On my PS3 I just plug in the ethernet cable or connect to Wifi and it works for all games and media. I don't understand why I saw some kinds of internet cards for sale at the store. Also, for the PC you obviously just buy the game and play. How if at all are these consoles different?

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

If you're primarily a fan of online/multiplayer games just stick with PC so you don't have to pay the bullshit PSN/Live fee.

Also a mouse is best for the majority of multiplayer games, best to keep the widest range of controls for multiplayer gaming.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Yeah you pay about $60 per year and you do get some (older) games every month to play for free.
Strictly money-wise, I can't recommend it. I do have a PS4 now (I know) and I enjoyed 2 games on it and now it'll collect dust again for a year or so.
Meanwhile, keep paying for online.

You should really look into the Wii U. Even if you don't like Mario, you'll likely find (a few) very fun games that are not huge investments, and there is no monthly fee. It connects through wifi.
The only dealbreaker could be that you hate colorful games, or are very into sports games that are not on the PC.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

If you want to play online, you have to pay for Xbox LIVE or PS+. There are a few games that don't require the online subscription on PS4, but no point in talking about those, since they are a tiny minority of games.

The use of media features is no longer hidden behind the paywall but if you already have a PS3, there is no reason to buy an Xbox One or PS4 for media features.

To be honest, buying an Xbox One or a PS4 now a days is not worth the cost if you already own a PC. The exclusive lineup is really small. You will be spending hundreds of dollars to play a few games. Is it really worth it? Especially if you aren't a big gamer anymore? I don't think so.

But up to you. If you are going to buy a console, I suggest a Wii U since it compliments a PC just fine.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Maxpowers_32

Thanks everyone. I'm really shocked by that subscription for online gaming. Seems very strange to me. I saw Forza at the store and have heard good things about that, but I'm not buying a console and paying a subscription fee just to play that.

I bought a Wii one year and really enjoyed the super mario game and had some fun with the sports, but haven't used it in a while. Maybe I'll take a look at the new Nintendo I can get it for a big discount

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Maxpowers_32 said:

Thanks everyone. I'm really shocked by that subscription for online gaming. Seems very strange to me. I saw Forza at the store and have heard good things about that, but I'm not buying a console and paying a subscription fee just to play that.

I bought a Wii one year and really enjoyed the super mario game and had some fun with the sports, but haven't used it in a while. Maybe I'll take a look at the new Nintendo I can get it for a big discount

I think you're having a lend of us, I mean how could someone with and account on here from 2006 not know how gaming works on consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

The PC communities for shooters not named Counter Strike are dead within weeks of release. For this reason I buy the console version or double-dip and play the console versions for multiplayer.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@i_p_daily said:
@Maxpowers_32 said:

I think you're having a lend of us, I mean how could someone with and account on here from 2006 not know how gaming works on consoles.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Yeah, i would never pay a middle man for online, PC has was better online and its free.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah if you already have a decent PC then there really is no point picking up a console unless you just see some exclusives that you really like.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maxpowers_32

@i_p_daily said:
@Maxpowers_32 said:

My first console was the Atari 7800 and I bought consoles up till the PS3, which I played for a few years and haven't touched it recently except for Grand Turismo. As I said I've played a few PC games here and there, but never thought about one of the new generations of consoles until I saw one at the store and have seen them mentioned in black Friday deals.

Every console or PC I've had with multiplayer you just buy the game and you can play single player or some of them you can play online. Aside from these subscription MMO games on the PC I never heard of paying extra to play online. I saw these cards for online subscriptions at the store and was curious about it.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#13 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

The PC communities for shooters not named Counter Strike are dead within weeks of release. For this reason I buy the console version or double-dip and play the console versions for multiplayer.

the pc communities for shooters not named counter strike, or battlefield, or call of duty, payday, planet side, arma, or any arma mod or source engine game

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?l=portuguese

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

Why lie like that? did you think nobody would notice such BS?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Pc multiplayer games tend to hold their communities longer. They also tend to offer more variety as things like counter strike have been modded to hell and back on private servers (Most the new modes in the last few call of duties are taken directly from old source engine mods of multiplayer shooters like counter strike or half life). Hell even the argument hackers are all over the place, is bullshit as good taken care of servers are generally policed by the community, something which if you end up in a hacked console lobby of call of duty you can not do at all. I honestly besides playing with people who own those systems which I don't do anyway as non of my friends play games, see no reason to game multiplayer on a console. Seems inferior.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@lawlessx said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

@leandrro said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

the pc communities for shooters not named counter strike, or battlefield, or call of duty, payday, planet side, arma, or any arma mod or source engine game

There are 162,000 people playing CS Go right now and 15,000 people playing Blops 3. Clicker Heroes is beating Blops 3. It's time to come to grips with the real world folks........

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@GoldenElementXL: I see three shooters above call of duty black ops 3. Did you ever stop and think that maybe they are all up there because they are better pc games then black ops or that call of duty generally has horrible match making systems that people on pc hate to deal with? That list also doesn't house any of the EA shooters which in this case houses a larger pc following then the call of duty series of games. Battlefield, Battlefront which I'm sure as of right now would be higher then black ops 3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@ribstaylor1: I just shut my PC down and am headed to bed. I will post those numbers tomorrow. From my experience there have been more console players in BF4, Hardline, COD AW, Titanfall within weeks of launch. PC gamers flock to DOTA, League, CS GO, TF/Garry's Mod and Other games that cost less than $15.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 leandrro

@GoldenElementXL said:
@lawlessx said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

@leandrro said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

There are 162,000 people playing CS Go right now and 15,000 people playing Blops 3. Clicker Heroes is beating Blops 3. It's time to come to grips with the real world folks........

how can 15.000 people at the same time at the servers be "dead"

i could not find a decent match for battlefield bad company 2 in my ps3 in 2013, the servers were almost empty i i kept playing with 10-12 people on the map, the game had been released in 2010,

on the PC i can join a match full of people at any time any day in 2015, there is only like 500 people in this game on PC but all i need is 32

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 leandrro

@GoldenElementXL said:

@ribstaylor1: I just shut my PC down and am headed to bed. I will post those numbers tomorrow. From my experience there have been more console players in BF4, Hardline, COD AW, Titanfall within weeks of launch. PC gamers flock to DOTA, League, CS GO, TF/Garry's Mod and Other games that cost less than $15.

saying people leave battlefield or call of duty to play DOTA on PC is the same as saying people on console leave to play minecraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@leandrro: So you're telling me if I want to play BF4 online, the largest community right now is the gen 8 leading PS4? Got it.

And why do I care which platform has the most BF3 and Bad Company players? Buy a new damn game for crying out loud.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By leandrro

@GoldenElementXL said:

@leandrro: So you're telling me if I want to play BF4 online, the largest community right now is the gen 8 leading PS4? Got it.

And why do I care which platform has the most BF3 and Bad Company players? Buy a new damn game for crying out loud.

no if you check the numbers right, the top PC player count is bigger than PS4, PS4 is mostly on north america, PC is worldwide

because some really uninformed console fanboy said PC comunities die faster, its the opposite,

because PC has backwarsds compatibility forever, and if BF3 and BFBC2 were released on PS4 on a "definitive edition" cows and reviwers would give it a 9/10 score

because i can play BFBC2 (2010 game) on max settings 120fps 1440p today and it looks better then 90% of PS4 games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-583e460ca986b

http://swbstats.com/

Well this is embarrassing.

30k on PC