Platinum Games Tease a New IP. Should Xbox Be a Priority?

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-593cdba6e9a93
deactivated-593cdba6e9a93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-593cdba6e9a93
Member since 2017 • 78 Posts

According to Anaba, PlatinumGames' new IP is "formless and shapeless" right now, but he did hint that the studio will look at new abstract technologies for ideas.

"One thing we want you to really be aware of is that there's a new formless, shapeless IP, but we can't talk about that right now. But it's really important to us," PlatinumGames exec Atsushi Anaba said during BitSummit 2017's keynote speech

"Every single year we're thinking about new technology, new formless and shapeless and abstract technologies and we take advantage of events like GDC to really show off what we've learned and where we're headed."

Anaba's words at BitSummit echo those he spoke in a 2010 interview with Develop: "The whole point of Platinum Games is to create our own IP, that's what we do."

Anaba confirms that the new IP will have a fresh new director helping bring their vision to life.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57638/platinumgames-teases-new-ip-under-director/index.html

Considering how much development time and money Platinum Games was given while still being unable to produce an acceptable product for the Xbox One (Scalebound), should they be making sure that this new IP materializes on the Xbox/Windows 10 platform. Not as an olive branch to MS, but to the xbox fans who were patiently waiting for Scalebound.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

If this forum is anything to go by, Xbox fanboys don't care.

Nah, seriously though, Platinum should be targeting all the platforms they can.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@nitropd:

Does anyone actually know the details of the cancellation?

I see posts everywhere about platinum/scalebound/MS/cancellation with opinions as fact.

Is there a link detailing it or is it all just assumption that blows in the wind toward the direction of ones favored console in this all mighty war?

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

@metalslimenite:

Yep! Otherwise, game would be canceled.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner

This is gonna be a great thread.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Well I would most certainly appreciate it if they bring this, and other games, to the Xbox One.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: I saw maybe one or two Xbox fans say they don't care about Scalebound's cancellation. I've seen more Sony fans call the game crap before its cancellation, then after it was confirmed to be cancelled it's like they all cared about it.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lrdfancypants

This game has been way more entertaining canceled then it could ever have been if it launched

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner

@primorandomguy said:

@ConanTheStoner: I saw maybe one or two Xbox fans say they don't care about Scalebound's cancellation. I've seen more Sony fans call the game crap before its cancellation, then after it was confirmed to be cancelled it's like they all cared about it.

Correct on the latter, all kinds of cows came out to white knight for Scalebound after it was cancelled.

On the former, you must not have been paying much attention, almost every lem on this board was like "good riddance" lol.

Both factions completely flip flopped on this one, which honestly, I would've been surprised if they didn't. That's just how SW always works.

-

But of course in the real world none of this means shit. I'm sure there's some hard feelings at Platinum about it, but definitely not good reason to turn their nose up at the X1 install base.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-593cdba6e9a93

@mowgly1 said:

@metalslimenite:

Yep! Otherwise, game would be canceled.

The only reason it would get canceled is if Platinum fails to produce a product again

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-593cdba6e9a93

@metalslimenite said:

They should avoid Xbox at all costs.

Why would a studio making a new IP want to avoid a whole platform?

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@nitropd said:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/57638/platinumgames-teases-new-ip-under-director/index.html

Considering how much development time and money Platinum Games was given while still being unable to produce an acceptable product for the Xbox One (Scalebound), should they be making sure that this new IP materializes on the Xbox/Windows 10 platform. Not as an olive branch to MS, but to the xbox fans who were patiently waiting for Scalebound.

Lol no, what joke logic. Because their previous arrangement with Xbox fell through, they should somehow voluntarily make their next game with Xbox in mind?

In recent years it's clear that multiplat is the way to go for Platinum Games. Quality games have no difficulty finding an audience on multiple platforms.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@nitropd said:

The only reason it would get canceled is if Platinum fails to produce a product again

Yeah i guess holding back payment is a good way to speed up development.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-593cdba6e9a93

@GhoX said:
@nitropd said:

Lol no, what joke logic. Because their previous arrangement with Xbox fell through, they should somehow voluntarily make their next game with Xbox in mind?

In recent years it's clear that multiplat is the way to go for Platinum Games. Quality games have no difficulty finding an audience on multiple platforms.

Considering all the time and money they've already taken developing an Xbox game they should not have an issue getting it on the platform

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Primorandomguy

@ConanTheStoner: You make a good point. I just hope it's a multiplat we can all enjoy. And I probably ignored the lems saying good riddance and the like because I'll admit I'm a lem lol, and I'm apparently one of the few that loves Japanese games, as well as western ones. Bayonetta is life as you know lol. I was hurting by Scalebound's cancellation. So I'm guessing the cows comments struck out most to me. But yeah the lems that said good riddance is ignorant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-593cdba6e9a93

@tormentos said:
@nitropd said:

Yeah i guess holding back payment is a good way to speed up development.

This is about a new Platinum IP, they're responsible for any cancellation or failures in development

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner

@primorandomguy:

Yeah, fanboys are idiots, what can ya do? lol. It's like when FFXIII went multiplat last gen, the flip flopping opinions were unreal.

But yeah, I hope whatever Platinum is cooking up is multiplat. Better for gamers, better for Platinum, win win all around.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

You can thank Microsoft for the cancellation of scale bound.

The dev doesn't owe MS or Xbox users anything and frankly, Xbox users should be thankful that their next game is on their system at all. Quit being entitled.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Primorandomguy

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah for sure. It just has me worried that Nier Automata didn't make its way to X1. And apparently never will. So I would say Platinum's new IP is far from guaranteed to come to X1.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I doubt it will come to the XB1/Scorpio, and here's why I think that.

First we go to a game called Nier Automata, a game that was stated by Platinum if successful it would get an XB1 port, and as you can see from this article the game has been very successful, only for Platinum to say this, which would be a good excuse if the XB1 was only for sale in Japan, but we all know it's not, so very much a pathetic excuse. Why would you not put a game on a console with 30 million sales? the Scalebound situation that's why.

I used to love Platinum, but have lost respect for them and think anything they make in the near future won't be on Xbox consoles. I can live with that, and they can live without my money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-593cdba6e9a93

@Telekill said:

You can thank Microsoft for the cancellation of scale bound.

The dev doesn't owe MS or Xbox users anything and frankly, Xbox users should be thankful that their next game is on their system at all. Quit being entitled.

Were MS supposed to wait another 3 years for platinum to make something?

Why should xbox users "be thankful"? And were you this critical of fanboys "being entitled" when all the PS4 fans got up in arms when Rise of the Tomb Raider was announced as Xbox exclusive. I seem to remember the fanboys of the internet acting like they were owed that game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-593cdba6e9a93

@metalslimenite said:
@nitropd said:
@metalslimenite said:

Why would a studio making a new IP want to avoid a whole platform?

See my other comment for the answer. If they couldn't come to an agreement on Scalebound, why should they attempt to work together in the future?

This isn't the same situation as Scalebound. Scalebound was an exclusive owned by MS that Platinum wasn't able to meet expectations.

This is about a new IP they are creating on their own so why would they want to avoid an entire consumer base?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ConanTheStoner
@primorandomguy said:

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah for sure. It just has me worried that Nier Automata didn't make its way to X1. And apparently never will. So I would say Platinum's new IP is far from guaranteed to come to X1.

Ah, right, didn't even think about Nier 2. That does suck. Kinda weird seeing as SE is the publisher and they bring plenty of other games to X1.

I wonder if Platinum really just thinks their X1 user base is truly that limited. It's an odd time for gaming when Japanese games are heading to PC and skipping a console.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Primorandomguy

@ConanTheStoner: Right. I don't like it either. Here's hoping Phil really is trying to get Japanese devs on board. Maybe Scorpio will help, IDK.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

No. Why should they target the Xbox? PS and Nintendo is where they base is.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lrdfancypants

@i_p_daily:

What racing games do platinum make?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@lrdfancypants: Bayonetta was one of my favourite games on the 360, I know this might come as a shock, but yes I do play other games with different kinds of fancy pants.

How about a serious response to my comment???

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@nitropd: Hmmm.... New IP that was never released or...... 20 year multiplat franchise with millions of fans worldwide.

HHHHHhhhhhhmmmmmmm

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ConanTheStoner

@primorandomguy said:

@ConanTheStoner: Right. I don't like it either. Here's hoping Phil really is trying to get Japanese devs on board. Maybe Scorpio will help, IDK.

Yeah, would be cool if he sees some success. Ninja Gaiden had a strong Xbox identity before, and a damn loyal user base on Xbox consoles. I'd love to see another great Ninja Gaiden game, even if it happened to be an Xbox/Win10 thing. Shit, even if it was X1 exclusive, I'd buy a Scorpio for that.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Primorandomguy

@ConanTheStoner: That's one game I haven't played yet is Ninja Gaiden. I heard it was exceptional though. I'd love to try it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner

@primorandomguy:

Yeah, Ninja Gaiden Black is pretty much perfection. Ninja Gaiden 2 has an amazing combat system, even better than the combat in Black, but other aspects of the game are rough around the edges. The game needed more development time, but there was drama between the director and the company, so it had to ship without the proper polish.

Still, both games are superb, you should definitely check them out if you get a chance.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

I like platinum overall . It doesnt make sense to focus on Xbox though.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Primorandomguy

@ConanTheStoner: I'll definitely check them out sooner or later. Sooner rather than later if Xbox OG games become BC on X1/Scorpio. I really hope it happens.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#38 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

I can safely say it'll be on the PC/PS4. It may or may not be on the Xbox One also.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

There is no business reason to prioritize Xbox over another platform without MS funding it.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Given the history between the two where MS ditched Scalebound because it didn't fit whatever mind-numbingly dull shit criteria they had in mind at the time I think Platinum's response to interest from MS in their new IP should be 'Take your interest, take your ass, creatively insert one up the other, thanks, bye'.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@blueinheaven said:

Given the history between the two where MS ditched Scalebound because it didn't fit whatever mind-numbingly dull shit criteria they had in mind at the time I think Platinum's response to interest from MS in their new IP should be 'Take your interest, take your ass, creatively insert one up the other, thanks, bye'.

So you know the inner dealings MS/Platinum had with Scalebound, if so post a link otherwise you should take your own advice

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#42 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69464 Posts

Its funny that MS paid for a game, didn't get the game but they are the bad ones. Fanboyism is a sad thing indeed.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@blueinheaven said:

So you know the inner dealings MS/Platinum had with Scalebound, if so post a link otherwise you should take your own advice

So you haven't been following the gaming media and press and noticed how MS have managed to completely **** up everything they touch since the inception and release of the Xbox One?

MS cancel Scalebound, Platinum release Nier Automata to universal acclaim, you somehow missed all this? I bet you 'called' the Kinect as the future of gaming.

lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#44 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69464 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

So you haven't been following the gaming media and press and noticed how MS have managed to completely **** up everything they touch since the inception and release of the Xbox One?

MS cancel Scalebound, Platinum release Nier Automata to universal acclaim, you somehow missed all this? I bet you 'called' the Kinect as the future of gaming.

lol.

So they canceled one game due to the developer not making the cut for whatever reason. They spent millions and got nothing. Can you please explain how Platinum is the victim and MS is the bad guy?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@blueinheaven said:
@i_p_daily said:
@blueinheaven said:

lol.

Again post a link not your fanbaby ramblings.

What does Kinect have to do with this? and I don't like Kinect, so in short you have ASSumed something about me and in the end you have made an ass out yourself, congrats.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@metalslimenite said:

Or Xbox should avoid Platinum at all costs...

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

The weirdest thing I find out the whole scalebound thing is how people are so quick to blame Platinum. Like they have a reputation for not releasing games they work on. Scalebound seems to be their one off here and yet for Microsoft this is just par for the course.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@doomdizzle said:

The weirdest thing I find out the whole scalebound thing is how people are so quick to blame Platinum. Like they have a reputation for not releasing games they work on. Scalebound seems to be their one off here and yet for Microsoft this is just par for the course.

Both are at fault but to varying degrees, and you're no better than the people you claim to be laying the fault at one (Platinum) company.

Both MS & Platinum entered into a deal to produce a game for the XB1, and had Platinum not got the amount of money & time they needed then they wouldn't have signed, that's a given, unless you believe MS held a gun to their heads.

If it was par for the course then we wouldn't have any games from MS this gen, but because there are a couple you want to hyperbole it, that is weird.

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@doomdizzle said:

Both are at fault but to varying degrees, and you're no better than the people you claim to be laying the fault at one (Platinum) company.

Both MS & Platinum entered into a deal to produce a game for the XB1, and had Platinum not got the amount of money & time they needed then they wouldn't have signed, that's a given, unless you believe MS held a gun to their heads.

If it was par for the course then we wouldn't have any games from MS this gen, but because there are a couple you want to hyperbole it, that is weird.

Its par for the course in the sense that MS has canceled a fair share of games this gen. Canceling games is something that happens though. Given Platinum's track record, I'm sooner to blame MS or at least put more of the blame on them.

My post was aimed at the folks laying the blame squarely on Platinum. I didn't say they were clean in this ordeal just that its unusual for them to not finish a game. Majority of your post is you projecting your feelings from other posters on to me. I'd appreciate it if you woudn't do that :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@doomdizzle said:
@i_p_daily said:
@doomdizzle said:

Its par for the course in the sense that MS has canceled a fair share of games this gen. Canceling games is something that happens though. Given Platinum's track record, I'm sooner to blame MS or at least put more of the blame on them.

My post was aimed at the folks laying the blame squarely on Platinum. I didn't say they were clean in this ordeal just that its unusual for them to not finish a game. Majority of your post is you projecting your feelings from other posters on to me. I'd appreciate it if you woudn't do that :)

Like I said you're no better then the people putting the blame on Platinum, because you're quick to blame MS. I said both have fault in this, we don't know the inner dealings here, so fault should lay at 50/50 unless proven otherwise, but it seems people like you have to blame one and can't let it go.