Platinum Games is being invested by... *hint* remember Blizzard's controversy last year?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 36900 Posts

Gamespot

Prolific action game developer Platinum Games announced that the Chinese tech giant Tencent has invested in the studio. While details about the capital investment remain unknown, Platinum confirmed that Tencent's invested money doesn't affect the developer's independence.

Platinum's president and CEO, Kenichi Sato, said the investment will help "strengthen our foundation as a business and expand from game development into exploring self-publishing." Last year, Platinum revealed plans to self-publish two brand-new IPs, alongside the continued development of Babylon's Fall and Bayonetta 3. The studio also promised multiple announcements for later this year.

Tencent placing money in Platinum Games marks another knot in a string of acquisitions and investments by the company. At present, the Chinese tech conglomerate has a hand in a number of video games studios, including Activision Blizzard, Epic Games, Riot Games, Ubisoft, and more.

While Platinum nor Tencent has announced the investment amount, Sato assured that no amount of money will have any sway in company leadership. "This partnership has no effect on the independence of our company, and we will continue operations under our current corporate structure," Sato in the statement. "We also hope that this partnership can give us a wider global perspective, while still creating high-quality games that stay true to our name."

The studio's last effort, 2019's Astral Chain, launched to extremely positive reviews. We awarded the action-adventure game an 8/10 in our Astral Chain review, saying, "Astral Chain's shortcomings don't overshadow what it does best. It's an incredible execution of a fresh take on Platinum Games' foundation, standing among the stylish-action greats. And its own anime-inspired swagger makes fights all the more exhilarating."

Uh oh... this will surely go well after what happened with Blizzard late last year.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 14063 Posts

Well maybe Platinum should stop signing deals to make games for one or two platforms at a time, that way they may make more money, but no they've sold out again, but this time they will probably be swallowed whole within a couple of years.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5834 Posts

@i_p_daily: They seem to be doing well, maybe they should stick to what's been working and not listen to a rant from an angry little troll.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 14063 Posts

@vfighter said:

@i_p_daily: They seem to be doing well, maybe they should stick to what's been working and not listen to a rant from an angry little troll.

Yeah so well they can't even publish what they make, and constantly signing deals with other devs/publishers limiting games to certain platforms and thus taking in less money. Oh and now they're taking in money from another company known for some shady shit, yeah they're doing so well lol.

The only rant from an angry troll was your post. Get a clue moo moo.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19712 Posts

I just hope this doesn't affect them creatively... because their last couple of games have been awesome. And looking forward to Bayonetta 3!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36364 Posts

Platinum makes good games, they just can't seem to make any money. Sad as it is, I am sure it was not an easy choice and they're probably struggling. Aside from Nier Automata, they haven't made a decent game since Bayonetta 2. They made three unremarkable licensed shovelware titles for Activision, botched Star Fox on Wii U, even neglect Scalebound until MS canceled it. And despite praise Nier Automata got, the studio is no better off for having made it. Sad too see such talent wasted. Maybe it's time they go crawling back to Capcom, if they'll still have them, might be a stretch too as Capcom is at its best since all that shit between them and Clover went down.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 29225 Posts

I just hope that they can continue to make excellent games. Absolutely loved Bayonetta 1 and 2, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, and Astral Chain.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 61993 Posts

Tencent invests in a lot of companies, Blizzard's controversy is a completely different issue from someone investing in their company, especially when Tencent doesn't exactly have massive shares in their company, and Blizzard makes money hand over fist from WoW to this day.

Platinum still stays an independent studio, for now, the end goal here is for Platinum to have enough money to self publish their own IP (all their other IPs they don't own the rights to), so what Tencent offers is a glorified loan. Because this just in Tencent has also invested in projects with Riot, Epic Games, n *gasp* even someone like Microsoft.

In conclusion: nintendoboy being an idiot as usual, being way too into the word "controversy' continues to not understand basic shit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45413 Posts

They should just crowdfund then self-publish on PC, then take the money from those sales and port it to console.

Their games don't exactly look particularly advanced, and game engines are a significant chunk of the initial capital of game development.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jg4xchamp

@mrbojangles25 said:

They should just crowdfund then self-publish on PC, then take the money from those sales and port it to console.

Their games don't exactly look particularly advanced, and game engines are a significant chunk of the initial capital of game development.

How many successful crowd funded 3D action titles are there?

While the games have limited scope in terms of cutscene production n shit, their top of the line action games run at 60 frames, usually have all sorts of effects on screen and in the background with towering monsters n shit, and more importantly are some of the best animated games on the market.

Especially given that they are action games and everything revolves around hit boxes n hurt boxes, and you gotta have proper animation blending n shit, shit takes time n resources. Their best games also are beloved for technical play with a lot of sub systems n command moves players use to express themselves, which isn't easily done, and ranges from design lead to design lead even within Platinum's studio.

It's why Bayonetta has all the depth it has from a gameplay standpoint, and those licensed titles with Activision on the flip side look stiffer. Crowd funding might work for an IP/studio whose games are liked for maybe the story, but a studio whose best works are loved for deep gameplay? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh in the 3D space that costs time n money.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 1460 Posts

Well that's not good.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nintendoboy16

@jg4xchamp: Champ, I referenced an actual controversy involving Blizzard in the title. And one that, if I go any further in mentioning, I'll get in trouble for referencing anymore. (The P word and it has an oddly better forum than here in games)

Look up Tencent's history. I don't give a damn if it's loaned money.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2197 Posts

Might be a big blow for Sony, was thinking Platinum might be a studio they would acquire to boost up 1st party. Probably will go hard at aquiring From Software now.... if Sony is looking at going the XGS/Gamepass route.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jg4xchamp

@nintendoboy16: I know the reference, your shit is not exactly subtle or obscure, but you fundamentally misunderstand the reason for the issue at blizzard versus what this is.

Tencent has invested in a bunch of companies that have remained independent.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nintendoboy16

@jg4xchamp said:

@nintendoboy16: I know the reference, your shit is not exactly subtle or obscure, but you fundamentally misunderstand the reason for the issue at blizzard versus what this is.

Tencent has invested in a bunch of companies that have remained independent.

"Loaned from Tencent, but Independent" is damage control and you know it. As Tencent has ties to the highest order in China, and given that Platinum never has great sales to begin with, they're screwed.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2833 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

Might be a big blow for Sony, was thinking Platinum might be a studio they would acquire to boost up 1st party. Probably will go hard at aquiring From Software now.... if Sony is looking at going the XGS/Gamepass route.

LMAO this is all cows seem desperate for these days. "I think Sony should buy [this company] / Sony should buy [that company]."

What's the matter, does the PS4 not have enough games for you to enjoy?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nintendoboy16

@jaydan said:
@BigBadBully said:

LMAO this is all cows seem desperate for these days. "I think Sony should buy [this company] / Sony should buy [that company]."

"A monopoly is only good in MY company does it..."

Even I don't like the idea of a Nintendo only monopoly.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jg4xchamp

@nintendoboy16: Zero damage control, that’s an actual factual on how they have done business before and with other companies. You have zero idea of what you are talking about as usual.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16471 Posts

I won't be worried for the moment ... Platinum has always delivered great games (at least, their main projects) and as of now, there is no reason to doubt they will continue with their original work flow.

In other words ... i will give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Bayonetta 3, i think, is going to be key in how this new investment will work from now on.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2197 Posts

@jaydan: not that it doesn't have enough but it can def. Do more. Look at what XGS is doing and the amount of content coming in 2020 with 1st party. Sony hasn't really been that diverse and sticking to 3rd person action adventure. I would like to see Sony branch out and take more risk with multiplayer/co-op games, buy/create studios and build up PlayStation ecosystem and make PSNow more attractive, like Gamepass. Sony would be able to take more risk along with keeping player base strong for games that might dwindle quickly after launch (ability to keep games alive and growing).

Gamepass/XGS seems to be working, constantly seeing the individual studios growing and forming more teams creating more projects. So what would be so bad about Sony buying more studios and promoting growth within its established 1st party and having more output/content/varierty?

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40070 Posts

@jaydan said:
@BigBadBully said:

I personally been saying this as well for awhile. Sony buying Platinum Games would give them more diversity in their 1st party and not just an all-out cinematic games Sony is known for. Not having enough isn't the word, just looking for more diversity.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 25050 Posts

@davillain- said:
@jaydan said:
@BigBadBully said:

I personally been saying this as well for awhile. Sony buying Platinum Games would give them more diversity in their 1st party and not just an all-out cinematic games Sony is known for. Not having enough isn't the word, just looking for more diversity.

It would suck if Sony bought them. Sony sells a shitload of consoles, so obviously people want their movie games, and Sony obviously don't need more diversity. Having PG's games exclusive to a console with an otherwise crappy library would just hurt us gamers. Unless you own a part of Sony, why would you care more about their 1st party diversity than you being able to play PG's games on PC?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2833 Posts

@BigBadBully said:

@jaydan: not that it doesn't have enough but it can def. Do more. Look at what XGS is doing and the amount of content coming in 2020 with 1st party. Sony hasn't really been that diverse and sticking to 3rd person action adventure. I would like to see Sony branch out and take more risk with multiplayer/co-op games, buy/create studios and build up PlayStation ecosystem and make PSNow more attractive, like Gamepass. Sony would be able to take more risk along with keeping player base strong for games that might dwindle quickly after launch (ability to keep games alive and growing).

Gamepass/XGS seems to be working, constantly seeing the individual studios growing and forming more teams creating more projects. So what would be so bad about Sony buying more studios and promoting growth within its established 1st party and having more output/content/varierty?

What a load of bull.

Sony would find it way more productive to challenge their in-house devs to make something greater than just movie games all the time. Sony dug themselves into this hole and they can dig themselves out of it.

You're tired of their lack of diversity? Blame Sony for it. Platinum or any other dev should not be responsible for their own trends. Sony is the ones that invested in this future.

They'll save a lot more money by investing in their currently existing studios than throwing away so much money just to add another studio to the pile.

Cows also need to get over this dream hysteria. I am mocking you and all the other cows that clamor to one studio to the next as a studio Sony has to buy. Sony does not need to buy any studio as much as they need to get their shit together.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2179 Posts

Tencent will slowly take the gripe of Platinum Games and make into cash-grab game filled with microtrantions. Also, they will likely release mobile games related to the game of Platinum Games.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 649 Posts

Goodbye console exclusivity lol.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nintendoboy16

@vaeh said:

Hello censorship!

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vaeh

@nintendoboy16 said:
@vaeh said:

Hello censorship!

Nintendo says hi.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nintendoboy16

@vaeh said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@vaeh said:

Hello censorship!

Nintendo says hi.

They haven't censored in major amounts in years. In fact, they encouraged Bayonetta to remain how she is. Tencent however... yeah, it reaches into Political Gamers territory.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vaeh

@nintendoboy16: Nintendo became known for their harsh censorship practices.

Path of Exile got bought by Tencent (80% ownership) almost 2 years ago and so far nothing changed.

Riot games is 100% owned by Tencent since 2011 and they've done just fine. I don't think they're going down anytime soon if their 10th anniversary announcements are any indicator.

Reddit literally boosted a lie about how that 5% tencent investment lead to the cencorship of HK subs from the searching function to the front page, visible to anybody. It’s hilariously ironic because not only the post made it to the top, if something derserves to be censored it’s this fake information garbage.

Platinum hasn't released a patch for the PC port of Nier Automata, nearly 3 years since release.

Tencent has a ton of successful investments more than 10 years old, capital investment is not nearly the same thing as an acquisition. It's on Platinum if they kill themselves by overstructuring after this.

No.1 game company for a reason.

SaltSlasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1437 Posts

I bet all those people who had accounts deleted just made new ones.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoboy16

@vaeh said:

@nintendoboy16: Nintendo became known for their harsh censorship practices.

Path of Exile got bought by Tencent (80% ownership) almost 2 years ago and so far nothing changed.

Riot games is 100% owned by Tencent since 2011 and they've done just fine. I don't think they're going down anytime soon if their 10th anniversary announcements are any indicator.

Reddit literally boosted a lie about how that 5% tencent investment lead to the cencorship of HK subs from the searching function to the front page, visible to anybody. It’s hilariously ironic because not only the post made it to the top, if something derserves to be censored it’s this fake information garbage.

Platinum hasn't released a patch for the PC port of Nier Automata, nearly 3 years since release.

Tencent has a ton of successful investments more than 10 years old, capital investment is not nearly the same thing as an acquisition. It's on Platinum if they kill themselves by overstructuring after this.

No.1 game company for a reason.

Yes, and then the ESRB happened. The censorships of the NES/early SNES era of Nintendo was slowly dying out, allowing for gore in Mortal Kombat II, fascist imagery in games like BloodRayne (GameCube) and Wolfenstein (Bethesda era; Switch). Hell, even they began publishing some more adult oriented games by the N64 era (but it's a debate on whether or not it's an N64 shooter or a GameCube survival horror).

As bad as censorship is, there is a difference between it on a corporate level (Nintendo) and a state level (China).

And that reason for being #1 is the most anti-consumer reason possible: MONOPOLY!