Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 in 2014

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

This is about as good as a confirmation we are going to get on Planetside 2 on the Playstation 4.

https://www.planetside2.com/ps2onps4

I've been playing Planetside 2 since the closed alpha back in mid 2012. Most people ended up giving up on Planetside 2 weeks after launch due to performance issues and a general lack of polish. While this was true for launch, the game has gone through massive overhauls. This year they are going to be adding quite a bit of new content to further the experience.

John Smedly, the CEO of SOE, has stated they are shooting to run Planetside 2 at the highest graphical settings on the Playstation 4. Before you scoff, know that the "ultra" settings on Planetside 2 can be run on 3 year old GPUs, so it's really not an outragous goal. I can even see ultra settings at 1080p @ 60fps if they can sort through the CPU heavy requirement of the game.

Since launch Planetside 2 also went through a massive engine overhaul to better utilize multi-core CPUs. This year they are ditching DX9 on the PC and going to DX11 as well as ditching the 32 bit client and going for 64 bit. On the Playstation 4 they've had to rebuild a large amount of the game engine to use all of the cores of the Playstation 4. A lot of this work is coming back to the PC version to really help with optimization.

This is a great thing for the Playstation 4 as the port will be the exact same as the PC version with its own interface built around the controller. Since the Playstation 4 makes it much easier for developers to update their games, updates should flow from the PC version of the game to the Playstation 4 version of the game quickly.

For those worried about the PC version, know that the SoE team only has a small group of people within them building the PS4 version from the content created for the PC version, not the other way around. They aren't trying to squeeze features onto the PS4 because there is nothing in Planetside 2 that can't be done on a game controller.

So this is good news for PS4 owners. Another AAA quality F2P shooter is on its way.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Wasdie: That will be the game that forces me get a PS4.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

Just out of curiosity...Why?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wasdie  Moderator

@StormyJoe: Can't play it on your PC?

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Most people ended up giving up on Planetside 2 weeks after launch due to performance issues and a general lack of polish.

Well that, and the game is pretty boring.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@StormyJoe said:

i'd also like to know this

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StormyJoe

@Animal-Mother said:

@StormyJoe said:

I have a lot of PC gaming friends who play it all the time. I don't like gaming on a PC, but i have played it several times and loved it.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wasdie  Moderator

@treedoor: It takes a bit more time to appreciate it and getting into the game is a bit slower. It's also a slower paced game than other shooters. However I would not call it boring at all. If you know what's going on it's one of the most rewarding and fufilling shooters out there.

Nearly every play session you see something just a little different. Rarely do battles ever feel the same due to the crazy amount of changing variables you can't get in a traditional match-based FPS.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StormyJoe

@lawlessx said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@StormyJoe said:

i'd also like to know this

I have a lot of PC gaming friends who play it all the time. I don't like gaming on a PC, but i have played it several times and loved it.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

amazing the game's taking as long as that. i thought it was going to be a ps4 launch game. hell, some people predicted it might come preinstalled on every ps4.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@StormyJoe said:

Ahhh Ok, it's a pretty solid F2P game. Never got too deep into it but what I played I enjoyed.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wasdie  Moderator

@CrownKingArthur said:

amazing the game's taking as long as that. i thought it was going to be a ps4 launch game. hell, some people predicted it might come preinstalled on every ps4.

I was kind of hoping it did, but at the time the PC version was going through some seriously needed changes that needed to get done before they could do an effective port to the PS4. It's better that they delayed it. Should be a much stronger game on the PS4 now.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@Wasdie: i remember the game was poorly optimized for AMD cpu's for quite some time.

yes, it would have been a great game for ps4 at launch. but to be fair - given the ps4's runaway sales, it did really well without it, and they can still release it later. probably going to fit in with their overall release strategy really nicely.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lawlessx
@Wasdie said:

@treedoor: It takes a bit more time to appreciate it and getting into the game is a bit slower. It's also a slower paced game than other shooters. However I would not call it boring at all. If you know what's going on it's one of the most rewarding and fufilling shooters out there.

Nearly every play session you see something just a little different. Rarely do battles ever feel the same due to the crazy amount of changing variables you can't get in a traditional match-based FPS.

i think i'll start playing again once they update with the new map or when it has continet locking

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

"This year they are ditching DX9 on the PC and going to DX11 as well as ditching the 32 bit client and going for 64 bit" i wish they would do this to gw2 :L. Good new for PS2 tho, i'll certainly try the game 'again' but i gotta say, i downloaded it on pc the first week game came out and disliked it

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

great, an online multiplayer focused, FPS multiplat, ported from last gen, to this one. now cows can hype it finally as if all the Titanfall bashing and DC didn't happen lol.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@Wasdie said:

This is about as good as a confirmation we are going to get on Planetside 2 on the Playstation 4.

https://www.planetside2.com/ps2onps4

I've been playing Planetside 2 since the closed alpha back in mid 2012. Most people ended up giving up on Planetside 2 weeks after launch due to performance issues and a general lack of polish. While this was true for launch, the game has gone through massive overhauls. This year they are going to be adding quite a bit of new content to further the experience.

John Smedly, the CEO of SOE, has stated they are shooting to run Planetside 2 at the highest graphical settings on the Playstation 4. Before you scoff, know that the "ultra" settings on Planetside 2 can be run on 3 year old GPUs, so it's really not an outragous goal. I can even see ultra settings at 1080p @ 60fps if they can sort through the CPU heavy requirement of the game.

Since launch Planetside 2 also went through a massive engine overhaul to better utilize multi-core CPUs. This year they are ditching DX9 on the PC and going to DX11 as well as ditching the 32 bit client and going for 64 bit. On the Playstation 4 they've had to rebuild a large amount of the game engine to use all of the cores of the Playstation 4. A lot of this work is coming back to the PC version to really help with optimization.

This is a great thing for the Playstation 4 as the port will be the exact same as the PC version with its own interface built around the controller. Since the Playstation 4 makes it much easier for developers to update their games, updates should flow from the PC version of the game to the Playstation 4 version of the game quickly.

For those worried about the PC version, know that the SoE team only has a small group of people within them building the PS4 version from the content created for the PC version, not the other way around. They aren't trying to squeeze features onto the PS4 because there is nothing in Planetside 2 that can't be done on a game controller.

So this is good news for PS4 owners. Another AAA quality F2P shooter is on its way.

hmmm......

that makes me wonder if team fortress 2 will come to ps4?

I mean, you can still link your psn account with steam,

and steam had a close relationship with sony at one time....

could it happen?

but to be on point planetside 2....

no idea what it is

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

i thought this had been confirmed ages ago, anyway its free so i will check it out when i get by ps4

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

On the Playstation 4 they've had to rebuild a large amount of the game engine to use all of the cores of the Playstation 4. A lot of this work is coming back to the PC version to really help with optimization.

This makes Heil68 Happy. :D

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tighaman
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts

this is a very CPU hungry game I can't wait to see how this game hold up but since battlefield did ok it should be fine.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
@tymeservesfate said:

great, an online multiplayer focused, FPS multiplat, ported from last gen, to this one. now cows can hype it finally as if all the Titanfall bashing and DC didn't happen lol.

its pretty much Titanfall but the game doesn't look like a ps2 title and isn't a laughable 6v6 corridor multiplayer, yes.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@tymeservesfate said:

Amazing! There were fifteen useful posts in this thread before you broke the streak with yours.

I've never played Planetfall 2, but a couple people have recommended it to me. I might give it a shot, it depends if I can get a few friends to try it with me.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Meh, just couldn't stay interested in the game

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tymeservesfate

@Dire_Weasel said:

@tymeservesfate said:

Amazing! There were fifteen useful posts in this thread before you broke the streak with yours.

I've never played Planetfall 2, but a couple people have recommended it to me. I might give it a shot, it depends if I can get a few friends to try it with me.

well you should play it bud. its coming out in 2014. or you can just play it now on PC...and get those crisp graphics.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@tymeservesfate said:

@Dire_Weasel said:

@tymeservesfate said:

well you should play it bud. its coming out in 2014. or you can just play it now on PC...and get those crisp graphics.

I have this thing where I really prefer to play online games with friends. If it's a PS4 game, especially a free one, there's a very good chance I can get a party going. Also it will be "new and shiny" even though it's just a port.

On my PC, my friends are a little less social. Not really sure why. I would have a hard time getting them to play it.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Planetside 2 > Titanfail.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tymeservesfate

@Dire_Weasel said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Dire_Weasel said:

@tymeservesfate said:

I have this thing where I really prefer to play online games with friends. If it's a PS4 game, especially a free one, there's a very good chance I can get a party going. Also it will be "new and shiny" even though it's just a port.

On my PC, my friends are a little less social. Not really sure why. I would have a hard time getting them to play it.

oh ok, that's understandable. so many cows seem to downplay that when lems, or whoever, mention Titanfall. usually its just posts of it being on PC, and that nobody will buy it on XB1 because they can play it at 1080p on pc with better framerate. its refreshing to see you go against the grain and admit that truth.some people just prefer playing on console.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Wasdie: I might have to check it out again after all these updates. The PC version was still fun. Since it will be free on PS4, it won't hurt to try it on there as well.

@Kjranu said:

Planetside 2 > Titanfail.

Completely different games. We'll have to see how well PS2 runs on the PS4. There were performance issues on the PC side, so....... let's wait and see.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

I heard during the "Planetside 2 for PS4 launch" rumors that it was a F2P game, this still going to hold true I presume? With Destiny in the same launch window I don't see myself spending $60 to try this, even though my copy of Destiny has been fully paid for 6 months now :P

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tymeservesfate

@silversix_ said:
@tymeservesfate said:

its pretty much Titanfall but the game doesn't look like a ps2 title and isn't a laughable 6v6 corridor multiplayer, yes.

so ur saying there's a difference...got it.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

I heard during the "Planetside 2 for PS4 launch" rumors that it was a F2P game, this still going to hold true I presume? With Destiny in the same launch window I don't see myself spending $60 to try this, even though my copy of Destiny has been fully paid for 6 months now :P

yea its free to play and wont require PS+ to play

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Great news. I've been holding off getting it on PC ever since I heard it was coming to PS4 due to the fact I prefer playing games like this on console. I can't wait for it.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Spartan070

@Flubbbs said:

@Spartan070 said:

Awesome, Love that the PS4 is embracing F2P titles as much as they are, some real gems in there.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

@Flubbbs said:

@Spartan070 said:

Awesome, Love that the PS4 is embracing F2P titles as much as they are, some real gems in there.

yes i agree.. Planetside 2 is one of the better F2P games out there imo

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lawlessx

@I_can_haz said:

Great news. I've been holding off getting it on PC ever since I heard it was coming to PS4 due to the fact I prefer playing games like this on console. I can't wait for it.

you held off downloading just because it was announced for the PS4? wouldn't it be great to just try the game first?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wasdie  Moderator

@Spartan070 said:

It's a F2P game. They have no intention on ever going retail.

Of course that hasn't stopped me from dropping roughly $300 on it. I didn't need to spend a penny on it, but I did...

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Spartan070

@Wasdie said:

@Spartan070 said:

Of course that hasn't stopped me from dropping roughly $300 on it. I didn't need to spend a penny on it, but I did...

I like the idea of F2P games but everytime I add up all the costs of "complete" ownership I get a little daunted. Still, there are many games that I would have happily sank $300 into so if someone likes the game then I totally get it.

Still cheaper than subscription MMOs anyway.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wasdie  Moderator

@Spartan070 said:

@Wasdie said:

@Spartan070 said:

I like the idea of F2P games but everytime I add up all the costs of "complete" ownership I get a little daunted. Still, there are many games that I would have happily sank $300 into so if someone likes the game then I totally get it.

Well it's totally possible to own everything in the game without spending a penny, unless you include cosmetics. Planetside 2 probably hast the best F2P model out there of all of the big F2P games.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

hell yeah add this to the growing ps4 library! ps4 library shits on every system right now thats why they selling out in every store still. cant wait for the definitive version on the ps4

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Spartan070

@_SWAG_ said:

hell yeah add this to the growing ps4 library! ps4 library shits on every system right now thats why they selling out in every store still. cant wait for the definitive version on the ps4

Actually it may be the worst right now, very promising though.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@Spartan070 said:

@Wasdie said:

@Spartan070 said:

Well it's totally possible to own everything in the game without spending a penny, unless you include cosmetics. Planetside 2 probably hast the best F2P model out there of all of the big F2P games.

especially now that they just give away points just for logging in

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Well if that means they'll keep optimizing the PC version that I'll be very happy.

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

Absolutely looking forward to it.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Love the PC version..... Cows are in for a treat if they can do a have decent job of the port :)

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Been hearing great things about this game for a long time now so awesome news having it on PS4.. man PS4 is packed with games and i dont even own one yet

steamistrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By steamistrash
Member since 2014 • 431 Posts

this is a free to play game on the pc if u gotta pay psn to play online thats rearded

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

@steamistrash said:

this is a free to play game on the pc if u gotta pay psn to play online thats rearded

Nope the game will be free to play on the PS4 and will not require PS+ to play.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

I spent a couple of months playing Planetside 2 on PC but then lost interest.. however its a fun game so I'm happy PS4 owners will get to enjoy this F2P shooter !!