Place your bets on the next Sony acquisition

• 52 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Edited by SolidGame_basic (24455 posts) -

I'm thinking if Death Stranding sells well (which it probably will, doesn't matter if the gameplay is walking on ladders all day), Kojima Productions may get bought out. So that's my choice! I kinda wish Platinum would get bought out by Sony so we're not forced to play on inferior hardware, but I think they're better off being independent and doing projects for other publishers.

What say you, SW? What will be the next Sony acquisition?

#2 Posted by Pedro (35597 posts) -

I don't think they will be a rush to acquire much more after Insomniac. Its not like they have a shortage of studios to begin with.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#3 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4995 posts) -

Whatever it is, it should be a Japanese studio. They have plenty of great western devs under their belt already.

#4 Posted by UItravioIence (1236 posts) -

Bluepoint

Remedy

House Marque

Kojima Productions

#5 Edited by R-Gamer (617 posts) -

BluePoint is probably up next.

#6 Posted by Ant_17 (12856 posts) -

@uitravioience said:

Bluepoint

Remedy

House Marque

Kojima Productions

#7 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19247 posts) -

@Pedro said:

I don't think they will be a rush to acquire much more after Insomniac. Its not like they have a shortage of studios to begin with.

#8 Posted by Subspecies (730 posts) -

Probably Remedy.

#9 Posted by Random_Matt (4317 posts) -

Please be remedy, laugh at alan wake sequel not being on Xbox.

#10 Edited by sakaiXx (6051 posts) -

Either bluepoint or From Soft. Imagine Bloodborne 2 from From Soft and Bluepoint remake Demon's Souls. That's awesome!

#11 Posted by phbz (4654 posts) -

Remedy for the lols.

#12 Posted by R-Gamer (617 posts) -

@Pedro: Jim Ryan said they are looking at studio acquisitions. So I expect about two more.

#13 Posted by I_P_Daily (12500 posts) -

Maybe...

Warner Bros

Universal Pictures

Paramount Pictures

20th Century Fox

Lionsgate Films

Dreamworks Pictures

MGM

There's plenty to choose from

#14 Posted by Basinboy (13926 posts) -

Let's get freaky:

Square-Enix.

#15 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Ready At Dawn, Supermassive Games, Quantic Dream, High Impact Games, Idol Minds and Sanzaru Games would all benefit from being acquired by Sony. Especially QD. Let’s face it. They’re going nowhere now that they’re parting ways with Sony.

#16 Posted by warmblur (2972 posts) -

Remedy

#17 Posted by ProtossRushX (5693 posts) -

Capcom since there japanese they can buy a japanese studio. Capcom really helped ps4 with street fighter 5 and sony is big into Evo.

#18 Posted by watercrack445 (1821 posts) -

Bioware, Supermassive Games, Cloud Imperium Games

#19 Edited by sakaiXx (6051 posts) -

@ProtossRushX: Every fighting game is ps4 focused. EVO uses ps4 for all of its tournaments except for smash ultimate.

#20 Posted by cainetao11 (36807 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

I'm thinking if Death Stranding sells well (which it probably will, doesn't matter if the gameplay is walking on ladders all day), Kojima Productions may get bought out. So that's my choice! I kinda wish Platinum would get bought out by Sony so we're not forced to play on inferior hardware, but I think they're better off being independent and doing projects for other publishers.

On Death Stranding I feel the same as Blair Witch. I don't know enough about GAMEPLAY to be excited.

As for Next acquisition? REMEDY

#21 Posted by xhawk27 (11371 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

On Death Stranding I feel the same as Blair Witch. I don't know enough about GAMEPLAY to be excited.

As for Next acquisition? REMEDY

Yeah except one doesn't have the hype level beyond the moon. lol

#22 Edited by WitIsWisdom (5355 posts) -

Well, since they said next generation they are going to push a lot stronger for exclusive multiplayer games they need to just open a new in house developer that creates SOCOM V, or purchase one of the next three and give the franchise to them...

If they are going to purchase a new developer or two I wouldn't mind seeing Yager Development, 4A Games, or perhaps Bonfire Studios.

I know this one may seem strange, but I think with more backing and a larger team (with plenty of development freedom) that Hello Games would be cool as well.

Bioware would be cool... I can think of a few others if I tried, but any or more than one of those would be bad ass.

#23 Posted by cainetao11 (36807 posts) -

I find it funny that Cows outside SW (Twitter) don't remember how they downplayed the acquisition of Playground games because they already made multiple Xbox games. Funny that, huh?

#25 Posted by UItravioIence (1236 posts) -

@watercrack445: Cloud Imperium owned by Sony? That would be amazing. Star Citizen on PS5 yes please!

Speaking of Cloud Imperium. Do yall think star citizen will even be able to run on next gen hardware based upon the leaks and rumors we've heard?

#26 Posted by ButDuuude (1426 posts) -

Greenland

#27 Posted by Nike_Air (19348 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

I find it funny that Cows outside SW (Twitter) don't remember how they downplayed the acquisition of Playground games because they already made multiple Xbox games. Funny that, huh?

The difference being Insomniac has made multiple multiplatform games and multiple exclusives that compete against PlayStation . Throw in the fact that Microsoft has been buying studios and many of thier fans wanted Insomniac . Throw in that some also thought Phil might fund Sunset Overdrive 2.

#28 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

@cainetao11: Playground Games has only ever made Forza games for Xbox. IG has made games for all the PlayStation consoles plus Xbox 360, Xbox One, VR systems and Windows. Plus quite the variety in IPs.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#29 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4995 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

I mean, if we're being honest. They've never made a game for any other platform. On top of only making only one game series... that's a racer. That's not a big reason to pop champagne over an acquisition. Uncle Phil seems to tend to buy studios out of PR as opposed to function. There was no fear out of Playground venturing elsewhere just because their portfolio was so limited.

#30 Posted by Pedro (35597 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

@cainetao11: Playground Games has only ever made Forza games for Xbox. IG has made games for all the PlayStation consoles plus Xbox 360, Xbox One, VR systems and Windows. Plus quite the variety in IPs.

20 Playstation Games

3 Xbox Games

7 Windows Games

2 IOS Games

1 Magic Leap

#31 Posted by Ant_17 (12856 posts) -

@ButDuuude said:

Greenland

#32 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

@Pedro: okay but they haven’t consistently and exclusively worked with Sony since...2013?

#33 Posted by Pedro (35597 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

@Pedro: okay but they haven’t consistently and exclusively worked with Sony since...2013?

I was just giving the numbers based on what you stated. It was not for or against anything. You listed the platforms, I gave the numbers. Nothing more nothing less.

#35 Edited by cainetao11 (36807 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

Playground games(founded 2010) as a company isn't as old as Insomniac (founded 1994). Its an absurd comparison. Its like comparing the number of championships the Anaheim Ducks hockey team has won (1)with the Montreal Canadiens (22). Guess who has been a team longer?

@Nike_Air

Who thought Phil would fund a SO2? All Ive ever read/heard is "Come on Spencer!! Make SO2 already!!" not "He's gonna do it!!"

LOL did Insomniac make more games that compete with Sony or more games for Sony?

@BenjaminBanklin as I already pointed out, one company is 16 years older than the other so it stands to reason the older one has A) made more games; B) worked for themselves and others.

The point stands. Fanboys are hypocrites as always.

#36 Posted by cainetao11 (36807 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@jcrame10 said:

20 Playstation Games

3 Xbox Games

7 Windows Games

2 IOS Games

1 Magic Leap

LOL right?

#37 Posted by Nike_Air (19348 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:
@Pedro said:
@jcrame10 said:

20 Playstation Games

3 Xbox Games

7 Windows Games

2 IOS Games

1 Magic Leap

LOL right?

Very misleading . Since Fuse , Insomniac had been a very different kind of company than they were in the past. Things changed. Cows knew it , Lemmings knew it , everyone knew it. Both sides wanted Insomniac.

Now if Sony bought Insomniac after A Crack in Time and Resistance 3 , then it would have been similar to Playground in a sense.

But some Lems and Hermits got thats Insomniac taste and are upset now and damage controlling.

#38 Posted by shellcase86 (4521 posts) -

Supermassive Games seems like a good fit, natural addition.

#39 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2512 posts) -

They should buy Square Enix and make 3 solid, turn-based Final Fantasy games like the PS1 days. Or a Xenogears remake on PS5.

#40 Posted by mojito1988 (3702 posts) -

@sakaixx said:

Either bluepoint or From Soft. Imagine Bloodborne 2 from From Soft and Bluepoint remake Demon's Souls. That's awesome!

This. It seems like a natural fit for Sony.

#41 Posted by cainetao11 (36807 posts) -

@Nike_Air said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Pedro said:
@jcrame10 said:

20 Playstation Games

3 Xbox Games

7 Windows Games

2 IOS Games

1 Magic Leap

LOL right?

Very misleading . Since Fuse , Insomniac had been a very different kind of company than they were in the past. Things changed. Cows knew it , Lemmings knew it , everyone knew it. Both sides wanted Insomniac.

Now if Sony bought Insomniac after A Crack in Time and Resistance 3 , then it would have been similar to Playground in a sense.

But some Lems and Hermits got thats Insomniac taste and are upset now and damage controlling.

Then why does Insomniac head say its like a homecoming? Its on Gamespot's front page.

#42 Posted by jcrame10 (5204 posts) -

@cainetao11: because for the first 20 years that the company was in business their games were exclusively on PS consoles. 1994 - 2014. SO released in 2014 and was their first game not available on Playstation

#43 Posted by Blazepanzer24 (213 posts) -

If Sony bought Namco Bandai and they continued producing SAO, Digimon, Senran Kagura, and Ace combat games as exclusives for the PS5, Then, and about only then, would I consider buying a PS5. Assuming the Micro-transactions for those games stayed reasonable. Some of ole NB's titles had some highly questionable micro transactions during their time * Glares daggers at Ace Combat 6 and especially Beautiful Katamari *

#44 Posted by Nike_Air (19348 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:
@Nike_Air said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Pedro said:
@jcrame10 said:

20 Playstation Games

3 Xbox Games

7 Windows Games

2 IOS Games

1 Magic Leap

LOL right?

Then why does Insomniac head say its like a homecoming? Its on Gamespot's front page.

Because they were away from that point to where they were when their history was only PlayStation exclusives. PlayStation exclusives is where they started (home) and they journeyed beyond that into the wild blue yonder of multiplatform and exclusives for non-PlayStation systems. And now they are back to that point again in a sense. So it is like a homecoming to them.

Think about when people move or change careers or paths , but then decide to go back to something or someplace.

#45 Posted by omegaMaster (1318 posts) -

Square Enix

#46 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10412 posts) -

My guess is BluePoint too and they'll suffer a life of remaking old games. Hope they'll remake Legend of Dragoon and Acrc the Lad :D

#47 Posted by phbz (4654 posts) -

This is huge, no one saw this coming. Insomniac was a completely independent company with absolutely no connection with Sony. The fact that everyone saw this one coming is definitive proof of hive mind psychic powers.

#48 Posted by cainetao11 (36807 posts) -

@Nike_Air said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Nike_Air said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Pedro said:

20 Playstation Games

3 Xbox Games

7 Windows Games

2 IOS Games

1 Magic Leap

LOL right?

Because they were away from that point to where they were when their history was only PlayStation exclusives. PlayStation exclusives is where they started (home) and they journeyed beyond that into the wild blue yonder of multiplatform and exclusives for non-PlayStation systems. And now they are back to that point again in a sense. So it is like a homecoming to them.

Think about when people move or change careers or paths , but then decide to go back to something or someplace.

I don't need to put any thought into this. I posted that fanboys are hypocrites with an example. @Pedro just illustrated how much they worked with Sony in past. People doing gymnastics to pretend my comparison doesn't work are really kinda proving the point about fanboys. Even the head of Insomniac calls it home, mentioned they worked with Sony closest and most since 1994. Its a great move for both. But my point stands, fanboys are hypocrites.

#49 Posted by Daredevils2k (2117 posts) -

I’m thinking that if the Xbox division keeps failing like it has for the last 5 years. , Sony will buy it .

#50 Posted by Jag85 (13627 posts) -

@i_p_daily: Sony can't afford Fox. They'd have to pay Disney a huge sum to acquire Fox.