Pirates annihilate this PC exclusive said developer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

So much damage control....Look if a dev says it happened then it happened. Piray is a serious problem for the PC platform wether Hermits admit it or not, and there needs to be something done to stop it.

ShadowMoses900

This goes for everything else, including console and handheld.

Yes true, but it's a much bigger problem on PC. DRM doesn't seem to help either.

Actually DRM can make it worse

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46218 Posts

Nah. It will be my goddess. freedomfreak

Aphrodite, the goddess of beauty ?

or Dayna, the goddess of cosplay ?;)

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#103 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

lostrib

Yes true, but it's a much bigger problem on PC. DRM doesn't seem to help either.

And at least most western countries aren't selling bootleg console games and consoles in the market, unlike a vast portion of other countries.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]Nah. It will be my goddess. R4gn4r0k

Aphrodite, the goddess of beauty ?

or Dayna, the goddess of cosplay ?;)

They're one and the same :3
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
That's not what he said.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 R4gn4r0k

lostrib

But companies will never admit that.

Ubisoft: "Our DRM is a success, we are getting more sales"

a couple of months later

Ubisoft: "Our DRM will no longer be present in any games"

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Correct. People who decline to do business with them, yet feel entitled to the benefits of that transaction anyway.lowe0

Okay, so who loses anything in this?

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#108 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

lostrib

So what's the solution? PC is too open of a platform this is why there is no real way to solve this.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 R4gn4r0k

They're one and the same :3freedomfreak

But it's not her in your current sig/avatar right ? (with all that cosplaying I still don't know what she actually looks like, haha)

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]They're one and the same :3R4gn4r0k

But it's not her in your current/sig avatar right ? (with all that cosplaying I still don't know what she actually looks like, haha)

No :P Her name's Jenn Croft
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 R4gn4r0k

So what's the solution? PC is too open of a platform this is why there is no real way to solve this.

ShadowMoses900

Are your proposing to make PC a close platform ?

You do know there is piracy on closed platforms too, right ?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 R4gn4r0k

No :P Her name's Jenn Croftfreedomfreak

Perfect name for Tomb Raider cosplay:P

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]No :P Her name's Jenn CroftR4gn4r0k

Perfect name for Tomb Raider cosplay:P

Right? That is a good name
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

R4gn4r0k

No because that would kill competition on the PC. However PC has bigger piracy than consoles do, so what's the solution then? No hermit never has an answer.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#115 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]"Struthers said he is not aware of specific piracy figures for Hotline Miami, but regardless, he is not particularly perturbed by the illegal downloading. In fact, developer Jonatan Söderström even released a legitimate patch for pirated versions of Hotline Miami because "he didn't want people playing the buggy version of his game however they got it."" True developer support, what a great guy! Any pirates you should be ashamed, support gaming and esp great devs!

Of course, the TC conveniently left that bit out.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 R4gn4r0k

No because that would kill competition on the PC. However PC has bigger piracy than consoles do, so what's the solution then? No hermit never has an answer.

ShadowMoses900

Of course no hermit has the answer. Even smart people, tasked by big companies to come up with solutions for piracy can't think of one. You expect people on a gaming forum to ?

What do you propose to stop piracy once and for all ?

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

Struthers said he is not aware of specific piracy figures for Hotline Miami, but regardless, he is not particularly perturbed by the illegal downloading. In fact, developer Jonatan Söderström even released a legitimate patch for pirated versions of Hotline Miami because "he didn't want people playing the buggy version of his game however they got it."

So they dont really have any figures, and the makers of the game dont really care. This is destroying PC gaming how?
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

Most of the piracy happens outside of the United States

PCgameruk

:lol:

This is true, most people here have no idea how easy it is to get a modded 360 or PS3 outside of NA(not hard to do it yourself but thats another topic). As I said before when Ubisoft said their piracy rates were in the upper 90%s; Consider the populations that have potentially better financial situations and more importantly culturally adverse to piracy compared to the populations of emerging gamers that don't have the cultural taboos of piracy. Looking at the numbers and seeing 500k sold and 5000k pirated seems totally legitimate to me. Not that I am saying piracy is good in any manner but when you open your wares to markets you should cater to the people who will purchase your product.

That being said, I haven't played the game yet. Is it worth $10 or should I wait for a sale and probably forget about it all together?

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

R4gn4r0k

Of course no hermit has the answer. Even smart people, tasked by big companies to come up with solutions for piracy can't think of one. You expect people on a gaming forum to ?

What do you propose to stop piracy once and for all ?

I don't have an answer either, some suggest making better games but that doesn't really work. People are simply going to pirate, the best devs can do I think is try to put some anti-piracy software in their games. I remember a long time ago if someone pirated a game, the devs would do something to it where a certain feature didn't work right.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"]Correct. People who decline to do business with them, yet feel entitled to the benefits of that transaction anyway.N30F3N1X

Okay, so who loses anything in this?

The paying customer, actually. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_rider_problem
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 R4gn4r0k

I don't have an answer either, some suggest making better games but that doesn't really work. People are simply going to pirate, the best devs can do I think is try to put some anti-piracy software in their games. I remember a long time ago if someone pirated a game, the devs would do something to it where a certain feature didn't work right.

ShadowMoses900

Yeah a more recent example of that was Batman: Arkham Asylum where you couldn't fly or something with the pirated version, so you couldn't advance. But that, just like DRM, can be removed by the hacking scene. So in the end it doesn't even bother most pirates. It's an inventive system, but I don't know if it'll stop many from pirating.

I think a service like steam is a good way to fight piracy. It allows for a lot of ways to pay for games and there are a lot of sales, so people can buy games at the price they want to. Just make it as easy as possible for people to buy your game (no jumping through hoops), and at the right price they will.

And than there are people that will never, ever buy the game no matter how good the service or how low the price. We can't change the industry for them.

edit: or developments like the F2P model, thats a good way to fight piracy too.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#122 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
I bought on last steam sale, still need to play it ...blue_hazy_basic
So did I, it's really fun! You should play it, like rite nao
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

R4gn4r0k

Yeah a more recent example of that was Batman: Arkham Asylum where you couldn't fly or something with the pirated version, so you couldn't advance. But that, just like DRM, can be removed by the hacking scene. So in the end it doesn't even bother most pirates. It's an inventive system, but I don't know if it'll stop many from pirating.

I think a service like steam is a good way to fight piracy. It allows for a lot of ways to pay for games and there are a lot of sales, so people can buy games at the price they want to. Just make it as easy as possible for people to buy your game (no jumping through hoops), and at the right price they will.

And than there are people that will never, ever buy the game no matter how good the service or how low the price. We can't change the industry for them.

Honestly, without Steam I think PC Gaming would be dead in this day and age. It generates the most revenue for the PC gaming market. Unfortunately there is little anyone can do. Piracy is going to happen, the best devs can do is to estimate how much they think it will get pirated and try to compensate for that.

Fortunately there are good people who don't pirate. But I don't think people that pirate games are bad per se, I know a couple people who pirate and while I hate what they do, they are good people in real life.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 R4gn4r0k

Honestly, without Steam I think PC Gaming would be dead in this day and age. It generates the most revenue for the PC gaming market. Unfortunately there is little anyone can do. Piracy is going to happen, the best devs can do is to estimate how much they think it will get pirated and try to compensate for that.

Fortunately there are good people who don't pirate. But I don't think people that pirate games are bad per se, I know a couple people who pirate and while I hate what they do, they are good people in real life.

ShadowMoses900

"It generates the most revenue for the PC gaming market in the US" you forgot to add that important part I think. Steam and DD in general has overtaken PC retail in the US, to the point where some games like sleeping dogs don't even get released in brick and mortar stores. In the rest of the world, this is not the case however.

The only thing a dev can do is create a great game really. I don't think I know anyone that has touched a computer that hasn't downloaded a game or a song or a movie or a TV series in their life.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

Lol @ consolites condemning PC gaming due to piracy.

Used game sales are just as bad, if not worse. People who buy used games are actually willing to pay for the games (buying a $60 game for $55 used), unlike pirates who would probably not play a game at all if it were not up for illegal download. Plus, buying used games is very legal and widely accepted, so it is FAR more widespread than piracy.

And remember that console games are pirated, too.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Used game sales + Console Piracy = PC Piracy (in money lost)

Only you guys end up with much worse..well...everything (less games, less exclusives, worse gfx, no mods, closed online, much worse performance, less everything)

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

Only you guys end up with much worse..well...everything (less games, less exclusives, worse gfx, no mods, closed online, much worse performance, less everything)

Jankarcop

Nicely said, it's pretty convenient how console users forget that used game sales aren't helping their side much either.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 R4gn4r0k

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

menes777

Nicely said, it's pretty convenient how console users forget that used game sales aren't helping their side much either.

They hide behind the fact that its legal and piracy is not. Forgetting that it hurts developers about the same as pirating.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#129 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I bought it and I don't like it. So tick one off the piracy counter, my money wasn't earned.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#130 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

BTW it really looks like piracy drives sales. 130.000 copies sold is absolutely massive for an indi title.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

There's plenty of illegal activity out there... and there's laws, yet people still do it... so what's the next step you propose for these people ?

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

Those sales are good considering it's a niche indie game but it's a shame it's been pirated so much. Hell it sold more than the original Crysis did in it's first mont and that went on to sell 3.5 million copies.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#133 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
The rise of gated, dedicated app stores will continue to gain steam...
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
It also was quite a success for the indie developer, with 130k sales, which, for a PC-only indie game with 2D graphics, is quite a lot. It also is one of the best games of this year, so do try this game out. It's only 10 bucks, really.
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Probably why the free to play model is taking off
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

Jankarcop
Source for numbers to compare?
MSXBOX4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 MSXBOX4EVER
Member since 2012 • 604 Posts

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

lowe0

Source for numbers to compare?

His imagination.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

Nobody knows a solution, the nature of personal computers and reverse engineering makes it impossible to stop. nobody cares, the platform is still by far the biggest single gaming entity.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

It's disgusting that it was pirated so much, but it still did well. Steam generally helps lessen the effects of piracy.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#140 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
Hotline Miami sold well enough considering it's a niche indie game without any marketing behind it, otherwise it wouldn't be getting a sequel scheduled to be released next year. If it were released on consoles the developers would prabably be looking for another line of work as of now.
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

BUY THIS GAME. Really. Its dirt cheap and its awesome.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I never pirated anything, but pirating something like this is ridiculous.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Most shocking thing to me is that he made a patch for the pirated copy. That's basically telling people that having bootleg copy is totally ok with him and he'll even go out of his way to enhance the pirated experience. Why bother buying his next game if he's so cool with piracy?
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#143 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

this happens not just on pc , lol , if any one has seen the servers on many cod 007 games lately , ,

cheaters and scammers everywhere , and your surprised ?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

this happens not just on pc , lol , if any one has seen the servers on many cod 007 games lately , ,

cheaters and scammers everywhere , and your surprised ?

mariokart64fan
cod 007? That's a new game?
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

Most shocking thing to me is that he made a patch for the pirated copy. That's basically telling people that having bootleg copy is totally ok with him and he'll even go out of his way to enhance the pirated experience. Why bother buying his next game if he's so cool with piracy?Senor_Kami

He specifically addresses this, and states that he doesn't want people to pirate the game, but states that he's been broke before, and that he still wants them to enjoy the game.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#146 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Sold 130k copies, I am sure the two guys that made the game will cope.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#147 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Lol @ consolites condemning PC gaming due to piracy.

Used game sales are just as bad, if not worse. People who buy used games are actually willing to pay for the games (buying a $60 game for $55 used), unlike pirates who would probably not play a game at all if it were not up for illegal download. Plus, buying used games is very legal and widely accepted, so it is FAR more widespread than piracy.

And remember that console games are pirated, too.

Riadon2

Takes one person to pirate a game to give to hundreds or thousands of people who DL pirated stuff.

Takes more than one person to buy then sell a "used" game so hundreds if not thousands of people can play it.

People who say used games hurts the industry more than pirating are just stupid as hell, yes buying used games hurts the industry but no where near on the lvl people claim it does. Game stores have been selling used games for a good 2 decades if not more, hell I remember going into my local Gameforce (R.I.P. Gameforce) and seeing used Snes,Sega Saturn and regular Nintendo games when I was 10 (which was 16 years ago).

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Most shocking thing to me is that he made a patch for the pirated copy. That's basically telling people that having bootleg copy is totally ok with him and he'll even go out of his way to enhance the pirated experience. Why bother buying his next game if he's so cool with piracy?Senor_Kami
It's nothing to do with that actually. It's about a few things:

- Getting on the good side of the pirates. Maybe he will get a few sympathy purchases from the pirates, this game is cheap so it's more likely than with a $60 game.
- If people are going to play his game, he wants them to play a good version not a buggy version. Maybe in the future some pirates won't be broke and will want to buy his next game because they enjoyed this game.
- Free publicity. Because he gave support to pirates this story came up on a lot of gaming sites, which can only help sales (and piracy of course) of his game.

You can't stop the cheapasses who pirate for the sake of it though.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

look at it.... choice of art style from what i seen i wouldn't give a dollar to... BUT i keep hearing it's quite good. but there is noo way to try it out through a demo. SO what do you think i am going to do if i want to play it?

~ game looks don't look appealing IMO

~ BUT people say it is good

~ no demo to try it out

= pirate

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#150 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

[QUOTE="DontGetBigIdeas"][QUOTE="Loegi"] That isn't proof, and like he said himself, the pirate bay isn't accurate at all for this game especially.Loegi
What exactly are you arguing. That this game wasn't attacked by piracy, or his claim of how many times it was pirated?

That he's making baseless claims. Like almost every article about piracy.

That's the problem with PC games. Piracy is rampant, and hermits refuse to admit it's a problem. Then they blame devs for consolization.