PikminManiac would hate the Last of Us.

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Sorry, Pikmin you'll probably hate this game if you ever do decide to pick it up. I got it on Black Friday, and I'm 5 hours into it. The change of setting, characters, and story from the Uncharted trilogy is much needed. The scavenger and equipment making adds a nice exploration element, even if you cannot explore the environments to an extreme degree, and the characterization and story is so well done, even though it's been fairly predictable, that I don't even mind the cinematic naughty dog flair that began to annoy me in Uncharted 3.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

GOAT of all GOATs of All Time

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

There's a PM system.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

Top 5 of ALL time. Thank you Sony.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

Uhh, #Xaero4King?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Minishdriveby
@freedomfreak said:

There's a PM system.

I'd rather call users out in a public manner.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
@Minishdriveby said:
@freedomfreak said:

There's a PM system.

I'd rather call users out in a public manner.

@Pikminmaniac

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Do people still play the multiplayer? Looked interesting

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I don't know, he has fairly bad taste, chances are he wouldn't.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xaero_Gravity

@Blabadon said:

Dem's fighting words.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Well he does have terrible taste in everything so yeah

@lostrib said:

Someone on GAF recently posted it was the best MP game of the year but from what I played it was so so. Didn't have the staying power

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm just not a fan of something that sacrifices good gameplay solely for the purpose of telling a story like a movie... That's what basically causes my extreme dislike for Uncharted. If The Last of Us does that then I won't bother with it. Although, I have a friend who desperately wants me to play it...

I'm just super focused on gameplay mechanics and/or level design. Those engage me and satisfy me more than anything else and the best reason I can come up with to explain this is that these elements are exclusive to this medium. These aspects are something that ONLY video games can supply. A well paced story is something movies do best. An intricately woven narrative with subtle details is a novel's best territory.

Uncharted 2 was something that tried to merge movie and video game into one package and I felt it failed on both sides.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xaero_Gravity

Yikes, you guys weren't kidding.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

I'm just not a fan of something that sacrifices good gameplay solely for the purpose of telling a story like a movie... That's what basically causes my extreme dislike for Uncharted. If The Last of Us does that then I won't bother with it. Although, I have a friend who desperately wants me to play it...

I'm just super focused on gameplay mechanics and/or level design. Those engage me and satisfy me more than anything else and the best reason I can come up with to explain this is that these elements are exclusive to this medium. These aspects are something that ONLY video games can supply. A well paced story is something movies do best. An intricately woven narrative with subtle details is a novel's best territory.

Uncharted 2 was something that tried to merge movie and video game into one package and I felt it failed on both sides.

But Pimin 3 has that imagaination. It lets your mind wander with unorganized level design that is somehow perfect because Nintendo made it. It also is the Best Pikmin game because it managed to take the good out of one and 2 and spread it across the whole game. The variety as you go longer into the game stays consistent and addictive. Something only games can do. I can't watch a movie 4 times in a row and watch it four more times tomorrow.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

Sorry, Pikmin you'll probably hate this game if you ever do decide to pick it up. I got it on Black Friday, and I'm 5 hours into it. The change of setting, characters, and story from the Uncharted trilogy is much needed. The scavenger and equipment making adds a nice exploration element, even if you cannot explore the environments to an extreme degree, and the characterization and story is so well done, even though it's been fairly predictable, that I don't even mind the cinematic naughty dog flair that began to annoy me in Uncharted 3.

Where do the guns enemies were firing at you go after you shoot them dead? Joel and Tess could've gone home and said **** it after two or three shootouts if they wouldn't magically disappear.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Blabadon

@seanmcloughlin said:

No @Xaero_Gravity...

Dem's Irish words.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xaero_Gravity

@Blabadon said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

No @Xaero_Gravity...

Dem's Irish words.

You know I don't speak Spanish.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Who gives a fvck about what PikminManiac likes or hates? That guy has sh*t taste

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Minishdriveby

@Pikminmaniac said:

I know bud! I'm not upset with your choice. You know what you like. I remember you said in a recent thread friends were trying to get you to play the game. This is just a PSA directed at you saying that you have probably a 99% chance of not liking the game.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Minishdriveby

@cainetao11 said:

@Minishdriveby said:

Where do the guns enemies were firing at you go after you shoot them dead? Joel and Tess could've gone home and said **** it after two or three shootouts if they wouldn't magically disappear.

My girlfriend is playing through the game simultaneously on a separate save file, and she asked the same question. I just shrugged and said, 'videogames?'. Why doesn't Joel constantly wear a mask? You can see spores in the air and when they escape the city and are in that skyscraper, joel kicks open a door that has a dead body and fungi all over it and spores fly all around him. I'm not sure if they reasoned this in the game.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I would love it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

And he should.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Who gives a fvck about what PikminManiac likes or hates? That guy has sh*t taste

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24  Edited By timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

The game actually has pretty decent gameplay. It's just nothing I'd call outstanding or new. The slow, heavy feel the shooting has is nice though. The focus of the game is certainly more on the story and the characters though which isn't really the most important part for games for me. Which is why I would take Metal Gear Rising or 3D world over last of us any day. :P

Edit: What's with all of the attacking in this thread? :/ I know this place is pretty bad sometimes but jeez.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@FinalFighters said:

@Vatusus said:

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

The Last of Us is a horrible game.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gue1

@lostrib said:

one of the best ever if it weren't because it only has like 4 maps and only 2 modes (3 now but 2 are nearly identical), so it gets boring fast... In like 2 weeks maybe 3 at most.

The best part is that it doesn't require twitchy gameplay or being good at aiming, it's more about being smart and working as a team. If not you'll lose no matter how much you cry about the game being unbalanced.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

All non ps3 owners hate the game cause of jelly. :D

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

A first class survival horror/action game with a rock solid storyline and characters that I care more about than any hollywood movie made in the last 15-20 years?

Yeah, according to lemmings that shit is overrated.

Meanwhile Titanfall (aka CoD in mech suits) is supposedly going to be the bees knees in addition to God's gift to mankind.

LOLZ

Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Gun-Unit
Member since 2003 • 9866 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

What?!?! Gameplay is the reason Last of Us is soo awesome. It is what RE5 and RE6 should have been.The pacing is well done,there is lots of survival goodness gameplay. Comparing Last of Us to Uncharted is like comparing two completely different games.It offends me as a fan of survival horror to compare the two when they both focus on different elements of gameplay.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pffrbt

@Gun-Unit said:What?!?! Gameplay is the reason Last of Us is soo awesome. It is what RE5 and RE6 should have been

The gameplay is the primary reason The Last of Us is such a horrible experience and it's nothing like what RE5 or RE6 should've been. It's slow, it's tedious, it's clunky, it's generic, it's badly designed trial and error bullshit and it's one of most miserable experiences I've have playing a game this year, beating out Beyond which is a fucking David Cage game.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pffrbt

@Zelda187 said:

A first class survival horror/action game with a rock solid storyline and characters that I care more about than any hollywood movie made in the last 15-20 years?

TLOU fails as a survival horror game because outside of the 20 minute long intro none of it is remotely tense or scary.

It fails as an action game because it's yet another monotonous as shit cover shooter with painfully awful stealth segments.

There's one character worth caring about in the game.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gue1

@Pffrbt said:

@Zelda187 said:

TLOU fails as a survival horror game because outside of the 20 minute long intro none of it is remotely tense or scary.

It fails as an action game because it's yet another monotonous as shit cover shooter with painfully awful stealth segments.

There's one character worth caring about in the game.

And that's why the game has a 90+ Meta score and GOTY contender everywhere... It sold well too.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pffrbt

@Gue1 said:And that's why the game has a 90+ Meta score and GOTY contender everywhere... It sold well too.

Because people have shit taste and care more about high production values than whether or not the game is legitimately good. This also explains Bioshock Infinite, a game where the writing has no idea where it's going or what it wants to do and the gameplay is a mindless unending grind with some of the wimpiest feeling guns around, but because it's such a hyped up bloated piece of "AAA" hot garbage it gets instant praise.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Blabadon said:

lol says the God of War fan.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

@Bigboi500:

Rofl replied the Animal Crossing fa* rofl

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bigboi500

@Cheleman:

- gets upset and resorts to name-calling

- gets upset online

- gets upset

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

@Bigboi500:

But I didn't call you anything :(

I let you decide what you wanted to be. A fan or... the other one. And it looks like you chose latter, not me xD

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Blabadon

Anone who likes Animal Crossing has no place in a video game discussion.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bigboi500

@Cheleman said:

@Bigboi500:

I let you decide what you wanted to be. A fan or... the other one. And it looks like you chose latter, not me xD

Nobody puts an (*) when spelling "fan". You just got angry.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Blabadon

Lol, now we're at the "Hurr, u angry brah?" stage

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

I'm just not a fan of something that sacrifices good gameplay solely for the purpose of telling a story like a movie... If The Last of Us does that then I won't bother with it.

Thing is TLOU actually has decent gameplay

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bigboi500

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

I'm just not a fan of something that sacrifices good gameplay solely for the purpose of telling a story like a movie... If The Last of Us does that then I won't bother with it.

Thing is TLOU actually has decent gameplay

Agreed. If he was talking about Beyond Two Souls, he'd have a point.

mulalatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mulalatum
Member since 2013 • 83 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@Gue1 said:And that's why the game has a 90+ Meta score and GOTY contender everywhere... It sold well too.

Because people have shit taste and care more about high production values than whether or not the game is legitimately good. This also explains Bioshock Infinite, a game where the writing has no idea where it's going or what it wants to do and the gameplay is a mindless unending grind with some of the wimpiest feeling guns around, but because it's such a hyped up bloated piece of "AAA" hot garbage it gets instant praise.

''I didnt like the game, everyone who did is wrong''

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@Pikminmaniac said:

I agree wholeheartedly. It was a fun ride, but man, it felt so shallow mechanically and the characters essentially went nowhere and did nothing. They just were "along for the ride" and it saddens me that so many people think it's one of the "greatest games ever made".

Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By Gun-Unit
Member since 2003 • 9866 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@Gun-Unit said:What?!?! Gameplay is the reason Last of Us is soo awesome. It is what RE5 and RE6 should have been

The gameplay is the primary reason The Last of Us is such a horrible experience and it's nothing like what RE5 or RE6 should've been. It's slow, it's tedious, it's clunky, it's generic, it's badly designed trial and error bullshit and it's one of most miserable experiences I've have playing a game this year, beating out Beyond which is a fucking David Cage game.

Good for you, i happen to fully disagree.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Pikmin is one of the few guys on this board that I value the opinion of. He puts gameplay above everything else like any real gamer should, and since ND is all about flash over substance, I understand why he wouldn't like their games.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#48  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@Cheleman said:

@Bigboi500:

Nobody puts an (*) when spelling "fan". You just got angry.

lol. Yeah. Who's he trying to fool?

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Xaero_Gravity

Come on Chele, save this thread.

speedfog

Forum Posts