GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 10576 Posts

"I think you're going to see lower-priced hardware as part of our ecosystem when you think about streaming sticks and other things that somebody might want to just go plug into their TV and go play via xCloud." - "You could imagine us even having something that we just included in the Game Pass subscription that gave you an ability to stream xCloud games to your TV and buying the controller."

Via Engadget

Will people finally buy in to streaming? They will only be upgrading the cloud to Series hardware in 2021, so this isn't a cheap way to experience the next gen for now. Sony had offered this via Smart TV app and PS3 controller in the past for PSNow, but the option was discontinued.

Microsoft's rumored hybridized solution could set Project xCloud apart, leveraging the strengths of both local and cloud gaming. Such a system could see inputs, image processing, physics, and other latency-sensitive components processed locally while demanding elements are handled by the cloud.

This isn't Microsoft's first attempt at offloading processing to the cloud, as demonstrated by "Kahawai," a Microsoft Research and Duke University collaboration. The project aimed to split processing between mobile devices and cloud servers, primarily aiming to reduce bandwidth requirements. Dubbed "collaborative rendering," this allows devices to create a "rough sketch," while GPU-intensive textures and shaders pull from the cloud.

Previously, it was speculated MS could be doing local processing to increase responsiveness. Will they use this idea or just make a basic video streaming stick?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 45145 Posts

They can also add an app for it on smart TVs. I expect both Sony and MS to push more in this direction.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 44631 Posts

Sounds like a smart move by MS. Samsung TV's will likely have the app preinstalled and remember, people need to remove the idea that Xbox is just a console, they want to grow the ecosystem. This helps achieve this and there's a reason why MS made the XSS in the first place.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 32922 Posts

Cool for those who want this and I’m sure that it’ll reach new consumers but streaming really isn’t my thing.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pedro

@Archangel3371 said:

Cool for those who want this and I’m sure that it’ll reach new consumers but streaming really isn’t my thing.

I just tried game streaming with Stadia for the first time with the demo of Immortals Fenix Rising. It was very convenient to get an email about the demo and be able to play it right in the browser. Not the best looking when streaming but very functional.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 32922 Posts

@Pedro: Yeah there’s definitely that convenience factor of just hopping into a game like that. I won’t say that it’s something that I’ll never use though.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ProtossRushX  Online
Member since 2007 • 8020 Posts

Nobody wants to stream this garbage we have consoles that play our games nobody wants a streaming stick

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13619 Posts

I feel its nothing but service news with xbox.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 57408 Posts

I don't doubt them releasing a dongle for xCloud. Also, like Pedro said, expect apps on TVs. No doubt MS will be partnering with manufacturers.

Still, this is game streaming, but the casual gamers may still go there atm.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2100 Posts

Sony has had PSNow on "Apps" several years ago, as early as 2013, but it seems support for the app itself dwindled somewhere in between.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2023 Posts

Selling Xbox services to play virtually any Xbox game for those who don't even own or can afford Xbox's? That's actually a brilliant business plan. I've used game streaming services before and found the experience to be nowhere near as bad as I thought it was. Play Xbox Series games on your TV without an actual Xbox will sell a lot of subscriptions.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2023 Posts
@rzxv04 said:

Sony has had PSNow on "Apps" several years ago, as early as 2013, but it seems support for the app itself dwindled somewhere in between.

I have it, and the reason the PSNow service is largely a failure is because most the games available on it are REALLY old. Only a few PS4 titles, most of it's PS3 and earlier stuff. If you were getting all the latest PS4 releases on PSNow, guaranteed it'd be a hell of a lot more popular. But Sony refuses to do that because they're trying to force people to go out and buy a new console to play the new stuff.

PSNow is okay for me because I am only interested in some of the older stuff, as I've deposited items into my toilet that were a lot more interesting than any of Sony's exclusives on the PS4.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tormentos  Online
Member since 2003 • 33580 Posts

I think after this gen xbox games will be on PS and nintendo hardware by the looks of what MS want to do.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2100 Posts

@eoten said:
@rzxv04 said:

I have it, and the reason the PSNow service is largely a failure is because most the games available on it are REALLY old. Only a few PS4 titles, most of it's PS3 and earlier stuff. If you were getting all the latest PS4 releases on PSNow, guaranteed it'd be a hell of a lot more popular. But Sony refuses to do that because they're trying to force people to go out and buy a new console to play the new stuff.

PSNow is okay for me because I am only interested in some of the older stuff, as I've deposited items into my toilet that were a lot more interesting than any of Sony's exclusives on the PS4.

Do we have the latest marketshare analysis? Weren't they the largest the last time around with PSNow?

I do agree that it would be nice to buff or transform the PSNow system though.

I feel like the New PS5 Collection from PSPlus is gonna have more timely stuff added to them but still probably won't be as good as Gamepass with new, day 1, triple A titles and if the promo is still on, the Gamepass is significantly cheaper with the upgrade trick.

I like it. The earlier big developers ditch last gen the better it is for me. Sounds like several of them are whining with multiple console SKUs already even though they're supposedly super easy to profile for.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 11329 Posts

@eoten: "Only a few PS4 titles"

Over 300 PS4 titles available is "a few"? Lol

They do look like a few years old though. Just noticed days gone is on there. Might give it a try finally.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 9127 Posts

@tormentos said:

I think after this gen xbox games will be on PS and nintendo hardware by the looks of what MS want to do.

I doubt it, the original premise of the Xbox is that MS were afraid Sony were going to take over the living room, too much direct competition. It might be on Nintendo though, as long as they can work something out. I think MS definitely want XCloud on the Switch.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14253 Posts

This is the endgame for Microsoft to make the Xbox brand a fire stick 😂🤣

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HalcyonScarlet

I think a streaming stick is a great idea. PS made a mistake in limiting the amount PSNow devices to PS and WIndows. They Should support the TV and macOS as well. Go all the way.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 10576 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: MS would like nothing more than to be a toll booth for subscription services and that would guarantee it if it becomes popular.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HalcyonScarlet

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

This is the endgame for Microsoft to make the Xbox brand a fire stick 😂🤣

Bit try-hard. :-S

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2060 Posts

which one of the options will you 1 system fannyboys use to play starfield, fallout,elder scrolls,doom and other highly rated games you just lost

or are you just gonna pretend all those games ate shit HaH

your MS bitches now

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14253 Posts

@bluestars said:

which one of the options will you 1 system fannyboys use to play starfield, fallout,elder scrolls,doom and other highly rated games you just lost

or are you just gonna pretend all those games ate shit HaH

your MS bitches now

It's really sad if you're older than 8 making posts like this. Yikes!

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3949 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Archangel3371 said:

I just tried game streaming with Stadia for the first time with the demo of Immortals Fenix Rising. It was very convenient to get an email about the demo and be able to play it right in the browser. Not the best looking when streaming but very functional.

Any lagging? What resolution? Also how fast is your internet if you don’t mind me asking.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ni6htmare01
@tormentos said:

Or maybe some other type of game pass that often older first party games?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@ni6htmare01 said:

Any lagging? What resolution? Also how fast is your internet if you don’t mind me asking.

1080p. I didn't experience lag. I forgot I was streaming while playing. 550MB up and down.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ni6htmare01

@Pedro said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

1080p. I didn't experience lag. I forgot I was streaming while playing. 550MB up and down.

Damn! 550 up and down? Shit! must be nice.. lol