Phil Spencer says E3 isn't as good without Sony

• 67 results
Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#1 Edited by BenjaminBanklin (4752 posts) -

Appearing on GameSpot sister site Giant Bomb's livestream at E3, Spencer spoke about the ongoing relevance of E3, and he suggested that the show's profile is hurt by Sony and Activision not being there. "I wish Sony was here," Spencer said. "E3 is not as good when they're not here," Spencer said about Sony and Activision dropping out of the big annual gaming show.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-is-not-as-good-without-playstation-xboxs-phil-s/1100-6467765/

Well, you're certainly right about that, Phil. Because Microsoft certainly didn't hold down the fort. Was the Xbox conference so bad that Phil rather watch a conference from a more successful platform holder? Anyway, Sony's above this show now. I just kind of hope they would break away from E3 and do their own thing. I personally like news spread out throughout the year.

#2 Posted by Archangel3371 (28146 posts) -

Well of course because unlike some people Phil Spencer is a real class act.

#3 Posted by Pedro (34941 posts) -

I guess dominating E3 makes him uncomfortable. LOL

#4 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4752 posts) -
@Archangel3371 said:

I guess. Phil's been getting beat up all gen by these people, then misses them when they're not around. I think he's getting a big case of Stockholm syndrome.

#5 Posted by cainetao11 (36595 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Yup. E3 is more entertaining when I get to see my conferences. Sony bailing sucked.

#6 Posted by jaydan (2305 posts) -

He seems like a pretty decent guy and gives ovations to his "competitors". He gave Banjo-Kazooie to Nintendo as well as Cuphead and overall is calling for unity among the industry.

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Archangel3371 said:

I guess. Phil's been getting beat up all gen by these people, then misses them when they're not around. I think he's getting a big case of Stockholm syndrome.

Ehh. I wouldn't say that too much. I think Xbox got owned during the DRM fiasco but overall, I don't think the Playstation brand is vindictive against the Xbox brand as much as the toxic fanbase.

#7 Posted by Archangel3371 (28146 posts) -

@cainetao11: Yep. Although seeing cows having a meltdown here is highly entertaining. 😂

#8 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4752 posts) -
@jaydan said:

Ehh. I wouldn't say that too much. I think Xbox got owned during the DRM fiasco but overall, I don't think the Playstation brand is vindictive against the Xbox brand as much as the toxic fanbase.

They've been getting owned all gen in sales and marketshare. It's not the fandom he needs to be concerned with. This is a weird defeatist thing for him to say anyway, considering how aggressively they've been trying to run Sony out of the market. If it were up to them, there wouldn't be much choice in the gaming field.

#9 Edited by Fedor (5152 posts) -

Phil needs to be pushed in order to perform. With no competition you get a mediocre show like they had this year. Good on Phil recognizing this fact.

#10 Edited by jaydan (2305 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@jaydan said:

They've been getting owned all gen in sales and marketshare. It's not the fandom he needs to be concerned with. This is a weird defeatist thing for him to say anyway, considering how aggressively they've been trying to run Sony out of the market. If it were up to them, there wouldn't be much choice in the gaming field.

1. That is not getting "owned". That is a derogatory term placed by the fanboys. Business is business, and it does not carry feelings or sentimentality the same way fans project onto these companies.

2. I personally have not seen them trying to run Sony out of the market, at least not in a very long time. For the majority of this gen they seem to have been pretty content with their efforts in pushing Xbox further into the service industry, and they still seem overall content and not even "trying to run Sony out of the market".

#11 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4752 posts) -

@jaydan said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

1. That is not getting "owned". That is a derogatory term placed by the fanboys. Business is business, and it does not carry feelings or sentimentality the same ways fans project onto these companies.

2. I personally have not seen them trying to run Sony out of the market, at least not in a very long time. For the majority of this gen they seem to have been pretty content with their efforts in pushing Xbox further into the service industry, and they still seem overall content and not even "trying to run Sony out of the market".

If they're at the point when they no longer want to share sales numbers of consoles and games, then that means they're currently in a position were they no longer want to show inferiority. Business is business, and MS wanted to have the majority share of it. To them, Xbox can't thrive if they have to reveal just how much ground they lost against the other platform holders this gen.

Just like with Windows, MS was never here to play footsie with competitors, they were in it to steamroll. That's why I never really bought into the "nice guy Phil" act. He's an exec. It's their job to gain on their rivals. He's singing kumbaya out of one side of his mouth while just recently being quoted that he wants to be number one. I know they're falling back into other spaces to sell Xbox games now, but they didn't come into the gen with this mindset.

#12 Edited by jaydan (2305 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: Honestly, I just think Microsoft is pivoting into a new direction, kinda the same way Nintendo declared years ago they're no longer directly competing with these companies and just doing their own thing.

With that said, what this pivot is which I see: Microsoft is going the service route. I don't think it will necessarily mean they're going to stop making consoles, but consoles will no longer be the focal point of their brand. I think it makes perfect sense for them to go this route because - let's face it - Xbox's greatest achievement is by far Xbox Live, as it paved the way for online gaming and it was a service.

The gaming industry is at a weird point right now where it's splintering into different directions. Nintendo already molded its own pocket and they're doing well. Sony is doing good as ever with consoles. Microsoft seems to be having a rough time but I see the answer is truly in their services. Beyond that we have all these VR companies rising and cloud gaming with Google. It's an interesting time for sure where gaming is no long in a single camp; and I guess the question is: could all these camps coexist and flourish in their own ways?

#13 Posted by briguyb13 (3085 posts) -

Dude is awesome. Microsoft has been getting it right a lot lately.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#14 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12862 posts) -
@briguyb13 said:

Getting what right?

#15 Posted by DaVillain- (36923 posts) -

Phil Spencer is totally right about Sony's absent at E3 2019. Sony being there gives people great games to focus on and takes some of the heat off of any lackluster showing MS might have. Again he's right, more people at E3 trying to "out do" others helps the whole show IMO. I think it was a bad call for Sony to skip it. Not for them, because they will be absolutely fine and still way ahead in numbers, but for E3 and the community as a whole.

But in another way, E3 has become very, very expensive to host a show. It's not worth it anymore, people already know what's gonna happen before E3 even happens due to leaks on social media, so Sony did the right call, why waste money on big events when you can just make something small like a livestream or release a video on Youtube with the new games? PlayStation Experience is a good example and that's really cheap to do. You save more money and still have the same impact, no need for E3.

#16 Edited by briguyb13 (3085 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@briguyb13 said:

Getting what right?

Relationships with other gaming companies, bc, adding devs, game pass, putting their games on other systems, iterative hardware, customizable controllers, cross play, no censorship...

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#17 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12862 posts) -
@briguyb13 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@briguyb13 said:

Getting what right?

Relationships with other gaming companies, bc, adding devs, game pass, putting their games on other systems, iterative hardware, customizable controllers, cross play, no censorship...

Killing their own hardware business, $180 controllers that don't actually make a difference, and allowing pedo anime games on their console is a good thing?

And as far as adding devs go if We Happy Few and Bleeding Edge are a sign of what's to come from those devs then LOL

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
#18 Posted by Alexander2cents (248 posts) -

Oh what's Sony gonna show us? A over the shoulder interactive movie that will teach us the meaning of life or something? A shooder? Grand Turismo 10?

Bah! Give me a real game!

#19 Posted by sakaiXx (5700 posts) -

If Sony did it as last year, this E3 would be even worst snooze fest but somehow wins E3

#20 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18985 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

@cainetao11: Yep. Although seeing cows having a meltdown here is highly entertaining. 😂

Lmao, it sure is.

#21 Posted by mazuiface (898 posts) -

He's a guy who likes video games, and a he likes a variety of them. Good for him.

This reminds me of when he was playing God of War on PS4 and fanboys raged. His response was something like, "chill out guys this is a good game."

#22 Posted by briguyb13 (3085 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@briguyb13 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@briguyb13 said:

Getting what right?

Killing their own hardware business, $180 controllers that don't actually make a difference, and allowing pedo anime games on their console is a good thing?

And as far as adding devs go if We Happy Few and Bleeding Edge are a sign of what's to come from those devs then LOL

Making excuses for censoring games with the fallacy of them being "pedo" games means you already lost any credibility you might have otherwise had.

#23 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Pretty much this. You can still be competitive and respectful; in fact, I'd argue that is the ideal.

Too many pissy twerps on here forget that, I think.

#24 Posted by AJStyles (908 posts) -

Phil is begging Sony to comeback because Xbox has no games and it becomes painfully obvious when they have to do E3 by themselves.

#25 Edited by ronvalencia (28063 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@briguyb13 said:

Your assertion on "pedo anime" reveals you don't know anime's East Asian context where East Asian women holds on their youthful appearance longer than "whites" or "blacks".

#26 Edited by henrythefifth (2502 posts) -

I don't even know who this Phil person is... Or why people bother listening to him.

#27 Posted by getyeryayasout (12343 posts) -

Great interview, likeable bloke.

#28 Posted by Subspecies (563 posts) -

Phil's just doing what lems should do: he recognizes he is beaten by Sony. Lems should recognize they are beaten by Sony/cows. The war is long over. Lems lost. Take it with some grace, if you can.

#29 Posted by navyguy21 (15247 posts) -

Its amazing how people can still manage to spin this into a negative.

He is right, more big names mean it is more exciting.

Doesnt mean that MS sucked or that everyone else sucked? (unfortunately, everyone sucked except for Nintendo and MS)

Sometimes Sonys conferences arent the best, take last year for example.

Doesnt mean the whole E3 isnt more exciting when they are there.

#30 Posted by I_P_Daily (12031 posts) -

@navyguy21: How can you be amazed by the cows behaviour when you've been here for 16yrs? that in itself is the amazing part lol.

#31 Posted by BoxRekt (1768 posts) -
@ajstyles said:

Phil is begging Sony to comeback because Xbox has no games and it becomes painfully obvious when they have to do E3 by themselves.

#32 Posted by I_P_Daily (12031 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@ajstyles said:

#33 Posted by tormentos (29191 posts) -

Kudos he is a more sensire person than his fans will every be.

#34 Posted by tormentos (29191 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Hahaha yeah lets pretend nintendo wasn't there and kicked MS ass with real exclusives you can only get on 1 place.

This is same line of thinking of 2006 era lemming talking here,the same that pretend the wii didn't exist last gen to claim victory over sony...

Ah those were the good old days.

#35 Posted by Bluestars (165 posts) -

I missed the flute playing and the zero atmosphere in the Sony crowd

Get some new stuff to show and come back next year and try to stop MS making it 5 wins in a row

#36 Posted by I_P_Daily (12031 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

Hahaha yeah lets pretend nintendo wasn't there and kicked MS ass with real exclusives you can only get on 1 place.

This is same line of thinking of 2006 era lemming talking here,the same that pretend the wii didn't exist last gen to claim victory over sony...

Ah those were the good old days.

#37 Posted by tormentos (29191 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

Well the person i quoted was doing it NOW.lol

#38 Edited by BoxRekt (1768 posts) -
@navyguy21 said:

Its amazing how people can still manage to spin this into a negative.

He is right, more big names mean it is more exciting.

Doesnt mean that MS sucked or that everyone else sucked? (unfortunately, everyone sucked except for Nintendo and MS)

Sometimes Sonys conferences arent the best, take last year for example.

Doesnt mean the whole E3 isnt more exciting when they are there.

Before this E3 lemmings were saying Sony had nothing to show and claimed Sony only showed "CGI" and "pre-rendered movies" anyway to drum up fake hype. Yet ALL we saw from MS was non-gameplay CGI trailers and Sony wasn't there to cover for them by showing actual gameplay.

You guys said we'd see Playground Games new IP, You guys said we'd see amazing how amazing Halo Infinite graphics and gameplay were, you guys said Gears 5 would show better gameplay than any Sony exclusive this year. And MS delivered...on NONE of these things!

Even by lemming expectations It was a complete flop!

Lems are always lying about Sony not showing gameplay, now MS had been exposed to be the one using smoke and mirrors with tons of non-gameplay trailers.

How do you ONLY show CGI for Gears 5, a game releasing in 3 months time and your only AAA for the entirety of 2019 at E3 MS?

Also let's not forget:

Microsoft E3 will have most first party games ever

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/microsoft-e3-will-have-most-first-party-games-ever-33460607/

@speedfreak48t5p said:

The hype is real. Cows be scared.

And yet, I'd give a cookie to the lemming who can name me all those 14 xbox games lol.

The show was a complete bust without Sony and I'm glad they weren't there so this fact could be made clear for everyone in the gaming world to recognize.

#39 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4752 posts) -
@bluestars said:

I missed the flute playing and the zero atmosphere in the Sony crowd

Get some new stuff to show and come back next year and try to stop MS making it 5 wins in a row

You don't win anything when you cancel the games you show off at these things. 😂

#40 Edited by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@jaydan said:

I have to disagree with that.

1 - Sony is MS's client. Sony uses windows and other MS software to make their games, they'd lose a client if Sony went out of the market, Sony's existence is lucrative to MS.

2 - Now Sony that is going to use Azure's infrastructure it's mandatory that Sony thrives for MS to make more money.

MS is first and foremost a service company and Sony existing is good for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
#41 Edited by deactivated-5d1e44cf96229 (2814 posts) -

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Phil is too much of a nice guy for the position that he is in. He needs more ruthless aggression.

#42 Edited by FinalFighters (3197 posts) -

Great guy, i gained even more respect for him after watching that interview.

#43 Posted by Ant_17 (12544 posts) -

He just wants Sony to waste money so they can buy them.

#44 Edited by DaVillain- (36923 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Phil is too much of a nice guy for the position that he is in. He needs more ruthless aggression.

The last thing Xbox division needs is a ruthless businessman and while not all are truly dicks, MS doesn't need to repeat Don Mattrix.

#45 Edited by SecretPolice (35338 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

All part of the XStation plan...

Lol :P

#47 Posted by Ant_17 (12544 posts) -
@SecretPolice said:
@Ant_17 said:

You know if that happens, you are all cows. We will destroy the lem from withing.

#48 Edited by ThatDBFan (350 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@briguyb13 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@briguyb13 said:

Getting what right?

The controllers actually do make a big difference.

Also, I get the part about the games is your opinion, but to me personally, and many others outside of this forum, Bleeding Edge looks pretty good. No one thought Sea of Thieves would've been a success for Xbox, but here we are with over 4 million players xD.

#49 Posted by ThatDBFan (350 posts) -

Wow, it amazes me how Cows are spinning this into a negative..

Cows really are the worst type of gamers.

#50 Edited by SecretPolice (35338 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Ant_17 said:

You know if that happens, you are all cows. We will destroy the lem from withing.

Will just all go with the PlayBox and be called MasterRace's ... Mmk? :P