Phil Spencer: "I know we have to take risks [after Scalebound cancellation]"

• 167 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Per GameSpot:

Now, Spencer has spoken up again about Scalebound's cancellation. Writing on Twitter today (via DualShockers), Spencer vowed that Microsoft will continue to take "risks" with the game's it greenlights.

"I know we have to take risks," he said. "I realize right now probably sounds hollow but I agree."

In another tweet, Spencer said the cancellation of Scalebound won't stop Microsoft from signing third-party games in the future. At the same time, you can expect Microsoft to of course continue to invest in projects from its own studios as well.

"I won't abandon signing independent studio projects but I agree first-party internal studios are critical," he said.

Spencer also personally apologized for cancelling Scalebound. "It hurt me as well and to the community I apologize. I want everything we start to turn out great, to take risks, create diversity," he said.

The problem is... you've been saying that since you took the helm, and that was three years ago. Three years is a long time to start building some studios, release some new games, but you have nothing to show for it. A new Gears and Halo, and three(!!!) new Forza games, sure, but what else? You shut down Fable Legends. You shut down Scalebound. Crackdown 3 is nowhere to be seen. Quantum Break is from the Mattrick era, and it turned out disappointing anyway. ReCore, sure, but it sucks.

I'm sure Phil Spencer is trying the best with what he has... but why do I give him more chances until he delivers tangible results consistent with what he claims to want to do?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

They had better have the best E3 ever this year or people will Switch to another console that delivers.

A game console without exclusives is like a hydrophobic diving instructor. It's a sick joke that you have a 100 million dollar controller and a 50 cent lineup of games.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@charizard1605: since when did you become such an angry little troll.

Do you even have a Xbox One?

If not why do you care and create bash Xbox threads like all the rest??

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

At least he is saying the right things. That's a start I guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@xxyetixx said:

@charizard1605: since when did you become such an angry little troll.

Do you even have a Xbox One?

If not why do you care and create bash Xbox threads like all the rest??

Where's the anger or the trolling here, exactly? I posted a thread on what he said, and my response to that, which as a matter of fact is perfectly reasoned, considering and conceding to both sides of the situation the best that I can.

Why are you taking this so personally?

@Shewgenja said:

They had better have the best E3 ever this year or people will Switch to another console that delivers.

A game console without exclusives is like a hydrophobic diving instructor.

Right, no matter how much people want to claim otherwise, exclusives are ultimately important. The sales of Nintendo handhelds and PlayStation consoles proves this- hell, a system as shitty as the Wii U managed to sell 14 million on the back of nothing but exclusives.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

it took sony way more than 3 years to recover from their disastrous ps3 launch and they had a lot more first party studios

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Phil talks. Problem is, that's all he does. As has been mentioned above, MS better have one helluva good E3 showing or even lems are going to start moving on.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

He's a business man not a charity.

Most of PlatinumGames games sell poorly, you bet on the winning horse.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@charizard1605: Spencer apologizing for a game cancelation isn't news. You spewing your opinion on what Spencer has done or hasn't done doesn't make this thread any better.

You are no lumped into the "crazy ass fanboys" category. The people that take the slightest bit of information, twist it for their agenda, and try to create doom and gloom. It's sad, and mods around here allow these non topics that add nothing to continue to exsist and then wonder why system wars isn't what it was. ?

Try harder

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shewgenja

@xxyetixx: LEAVE BRITNEYBOX ALONE!!!

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Im not happy, Phil.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mems_1224 said:

it took sony way more than 3 years to recover from their disastrous ps3 launch and they had a lot more first party studios

Not really. They had recovered by 2009, with the launch of Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, and PS3 Slim.

Also, Microsoft having less first party studios is an indictment on them, a self inflicted handicap that they get no concessions for since that is precisely the thing they are being criticized for here.

@xxyetixx said:

@charizard1605: Spencer apologizing for a game cancelation isn't news. You spewing your opinion on what Spencer has done or hasn't done doesn't make this thread any better.

You are no lumped into the "crazy ass fanboys" category. The people that take the slightest bit of information, twist it for their agenda, and try to create doom and gloom. It's sad, and mods around here allow these non topics that add nothing to continue to exsist and then wonder why system wars isn't what it was. ?

Try harder

I have absolutely no idea why you're getting so angry at what might actually be the least provocative and inflammatory thread on Xbox One I have made in months, but hey, have at it.

If you don't think Spencer's official statement on the Scalebound cancellation is news, that's your lookout, not mine. If you think that newly created threads should just copy paste shit, and not have any interesting commentary or input from the thread creator to induce some manner of meaningful discussion, then that is again your lookout, not mine.

I am afraid I won't be losing much sleep over being put on the 'crazy ass fanboys' list of yours, however, since you were already on mine a while back.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Lol. Console wars. Pc and a nintendo system is all i need.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

He may win the looking out for the shareholders award but wouldn't there be more prestige in the better system to game on award and lead to sales further on? He is right about needing to take risks but I don't expect them to actually do it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I still have faith in Phil plus I very much enjoyed the games that have come out for the Xbox One so far even if they are already established franchises. I also very much appreciate what they have done and continue to do with the backwards compatibility for 360 games.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mems_1224

@charizard1605: so 3 years to launch one good game? pretty sure xbox one already has more than that.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shewgenja

@mems_1224: That's just silly. MGS4 came out in 07, I do believe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Shewgenja said:

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mems_1224

@Shewgenja said:

so they got the worst mgs game 2 years later? yay?

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#21 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

Well they are probably putting alot of eggs in one basket and that basket is Sea of Thieves.

Seeing how weird open world games like Minecraft and ARK do on Xbox, I would not be surprised if Sea of Thieves turns out to be a massive hit.

And then Phil Spencer looks like a hero and lines his pockets at the same time.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@charizard1605: "Three years is a long time to start building some studios, release some new games, but you have nothing to show for it."

In all those 3 years he couldn't convince the suits at MSoft to give him and the Xbox division more funding? =(

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

A game console without exclusives is like a hydrophobic diving instructor. It's a sick joke that you have a 100 million dollar controller and a 50 cent lineup of games.

Dosent matter what they announce at E3 this year... it will all be cancelled eventually lol

MS's E3 2014? all games that were announced that year ended up being cancelled fyi

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Philly, you need to calm down, Philly. Your fanbase is starving to play something else but halo gears forza but all you're doing is cancelling original new IP's.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I see what you did there...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@finalstar2007 said:
@Shewgenja said:

Dosent matter what they announce at E3 this year... it will all be cancelled eventually lol

MS's E3 2014? all games that were announced that year ended up being cancelled fyi

No, that is factually false. Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break, ReCore, Sunset Overdrive all released.

There is enough factual information to give Microsoft shit for, you don't have to make nonsense up.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@mark1974 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

He may win the looking out for the shareholders award but wouldn't there be more prestige in the better system to game on award and lead to sales further on? He is right about needing to take risks but I don't expect them to actually do it.

Certainly not, his job it to puff his chest and act like a totally unrealistic prick regardless of the reality.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By finalstar2007

@charizard1605 said:
@finalstar2007 said:
@Shewgenja said:

No, that is factually false. Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break, ReCore, Sunset Overdrive all released.

There is enough factual information to give Microsoft shit for, you don't have to make nonsense up.

Fable Legends, Phantom Dust, Project Spark & Scalebound.. all these games got cancelled/shutdown......... Halo: The Master Chief Collection was a messed up collection that was unplayable.

My point is, whatever they announce this year i doubt anyone will care anymore plus didnt both Quantum Break and ReCore flop both financially and critically?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

As much as i think Phil is great, he's been saying that for the past couple of years ... they just can't nail it.

@Shewgenja said:

A game console without exclusives is like a hydrophobic diving instructor.

Right, no matter how much people want to claim otherwise, exclusives are ultimately important. The sales of Nintendo handhelds and PlayStation consoles proves this- hell, a system as shitty as the Wii U managed to sell 14 million on the back of nothing but exclusives.

Because their exclusives are mostly unique and better than their counterparts (You can't find Mario Kart like game anywhere else, but UC4 type of games are everywhere)

And PS4 hasn't been strong in terms of exclusives so far, yet it has garnered tons of sales ..... i'd argue that in the end, it's the multi-plats that define the success of a console (this gen)

i don't wanna downplay the exclusives tho, they do matter, but not as much as it seems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@finalstar2007 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@finalstar2007 said:
@Shewgenja said:

Fable Legends, Phantom Dust, Project Spark & Scalebound.. all these games got cancelled/shutdown......... Halo: The Master Chief Collection was a messed up collection that was unplayable.

My point is, whatever they announce this year i doubt anyone will care anymore plus didnt both Quantum Break and ReCore flop both financially and critically?

Your original point was:

'MS's E3 2014? all games that were announced that year ended up being cancelled fyi'

To which I responded that you were wrong, that statement is factually incorrect. Multiple games shown off and announced that year were ultimately released. Them being good or not, successful or not, was never a consideration or parameter brought up in your original post- or should I start discussing how every single game Sony showed off until E3 2015 - Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, DriveClub, The Order, inFamous Second Son, LittleBigPlanet 3 - ended up flopping critically or commercially, or in most cases, both?

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 finalstar2007

@charizard1605 said:
@finalstar2007 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@finalstar2007 said:
@Shewgenja said:

Your original point was:

'MS's E3 2014? all games that were announced that year ended up being cancelled fyi'

To which I responded that you were wrong, that statement is factually incorrect. Multiple games shown off and announced that year were ultimately released. Them being good or not, successful or not, was never a consideration or parameter brought up in your original post- or should I start discussing how every single game Sony showed off until E3 2015 - Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, DriveClub, The Order, inFamous Second Son, LittleBigPlanet 3 - ended up flopping critically or commercially, or in most cases, both?

No arguing with that i guess saying "All' wasn't quite correct but 50% of what was announced is hella major.

Knack may have flopped critically but in way did it flop financially (otherwise we wouldnt have seen a sequel announced) or any of the other games you stated but that is a whole different story not related to this topic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@finalstar2007 said:

No arguing with that i guess saying "All' wasn't quite correct but 50% of what was announced is hella major.

Sure, this is basically all I'm saying.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

We know and MS have almost no 1st party studios.

BluFalconUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BluFalconUltra
Member since 2014 • 459 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

You keep bringing Sony into MS screw ups. Uncharted, Resistance, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank Future, MotorStorm and MGS4 all released within the first year and half on the PS3 and all sold better than what MS has released on the XboxOne thus far. Hell even Lair outsold all XboxOne games except Halo and Gears lol. The PS3 also sold better in the first 3 years than the XboxOne and the PS3 outsold the 360. Nothing will change the fact that Sony is better than MS and so is Nintendo despite their flaws. Let's stop bringing up the past and talk about the present and future. Nintendo has Zelda and whatever they announce for The Switch, Sony has Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Horizon, Gran Turismo, God fo War, Death Stranding, Days Gone, TLoUP2 etc... and MS has nothing interesting except another Forza. No one cares about Halo Wars, Sea of Thieves or Crackdown 3. Those are just the facts and all of them are on PC anyway lol.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

@charizard1605: don't forget project spark closure charizard. Games once hyped up as a change in ecosystem of xbox games library are either shut down or cancelled

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

He's full of shit.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Ummm...someone better tell him that Scalebound was "teh risk" they should have been taking. You can't say you want to take more risks and then abandon ship when an actual risk arrives.

BluFalconUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BluFalconUltra

@trollhunter2 said:

@charizard1605: don't forget project spark closure charizard. Games once hyped up as a change in ecosystem of xbox games library are either shut down or cancelled

And another one lol. MS completely abandoned the game and also dropped Kinect when they claimed it would still be a big part of the Xbox family and get game support. Where are the Kinect games? Boy MS makes it so easy and their fanboys are so pathetic to keep defending them. Listen if Sony did all this crap I would sell my PS4 and just play PC or get a Switch. All 3 companies have their weaknesses and could do better, but Xbox is the worst. The Vita has more exclusives than the XboxOne wow lol. It did in the first year smh. The Dreamcast and Saturn are better consoles. I mean come on people. When is enough enough?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I think Spencer's right. He should take more risks.

One risk he took recently is canceling a high profile, Hideki Kamiya Platinum exclusive Xbone title and seeing how the fanbase reacts.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Drops Always online

Drops Kinect

Drops Scalebound

Drops Fable Legends

Drops Project Spark

Drops Phantom Dust(Seemingly)

Seems like they're playing it very safe and not taking any risks.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Flyincloud1116

If it's a studio, Microsoft can kill it.

Loading Video...

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

It's a bummer that Phil has to defend Microsoft for Platinum Games failures.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Flyincloud1116

@quadknight said:

Ummm...someone better tell him that Scalebound was "teh risk" they should have been taking. You can't say you want to take more risks and then abandon ship when an actual risk arrives.

So many were really looking forward to that game.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@flyincloud1116:

What you know about Predator? =(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Juub1990: Technically, Phantom Dust is still coming, it's just a remaster of the Xbox game now, instead of being a new entry in the series.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Flyincloud1116

@PSP107 said:

@flyincloud1116:

What you know about Predator? =(

One of the best action movies ever!

BluFalconUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BluFalconUltra

@kvally said:

It's a bummer that Phil has to defend Microsoft for Platinum Games failures.

So why is it that Platinum has released all their games except Scalebound? No problems until this game with MS.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@blufalconultra: Thats your logic? really? that is the best you can come up with...

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@charizard1605: Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Killer Instinct? Plus Sea of Thieves is coming.

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

It doesn't seem like they like taking risks. They rely on the same IPs and have cancelled several projects, dropped games like Project Spark, and console ideas like the Kinect. Nothing wrong with being safe, but you have to take risks otherwise the brand can get stale.