Phil Spencer acknowledges Amazon and Google as long term gaming competitors next decade, sidelines Sony.

• 57 results
#1 Edited by Daniel_Su123 (963 posts) -

Yeah, you know, when I think about who I see as our long-term competitors over the next decade in this gaming category, I think you're going to see the big tech companies that Microsoft competes with in many different areas entering. And you see it. Amazon has

Amazon Game Studios. They have for a while. AWS has a very large workload in the gaming space. Google has just started working on Project Stream. And they are -- you can see the work that they're starting to do to enter this category. Tencent is a huge gaming company.

https://view.officeapps.live.com/op...?version=65af4809-9575-21b7-784d-aaf4da3823c6

There should be no surprise of this, both companies have the Cloud infrastructure to scale globally, both have the money and platforms to allow Cloud gaming to happen. Sony has none of this other than PS4. The fundamental fact is, you need data centers in physical locations in other to reduce latency. Microsoft, Google and Amazon are investing aggressively in this field and Sony hasn't anything.

If you want to know why PSNow has a very small availability, lack of global data centers is why.

#2 Posted by pdogg93 (1210 posts) -

Oh yes google really has a proven track record of executing outside of their bread and butter. And lolxbox

#3 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8271 posts) -

Yes, the company with the 2nd largest gaming revenue in the world is not a competitor, much higher than theirs and with more growth than theirs per year. There's a degree of hubris, or "head-in-the-clouds" given by this. I wouldn't be celebrating it if I were a fan of him; I'd be concerned. But sure, cheer him on.

#4 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1969 posts) -

What a guy. Always searching for bigger, better ways to get his ass kicked lol

#5 Posted by ProtossRushX (4706 posts) -

Hes right sony isn't competitor Sony is in a different league all together microsoft is the atari jaguar of the generation

#6 Posted by Steppy_76 (2350 posts) -

Things change and sometimes very quickly. Once internet latency drops to "local"levels the won't be a need for dedicated hardware. Blockbuster is a great example. They went from ginormous to virtually nonexistent almost overnight.

#7 Edited by X_CAPCOM_X (8271 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:

Things change and sometimes very quickly. Once internet latency drops to "local"levels the won't be a need for dedicated hardware. Blockbuster is a great example. They went from ginormous to virtually nonexistent almost overnight.

These are based upon material developments, like major technological shifts or advancements. For this market, not one significant shift of the same magnitude is on the horizon -- unless it is forced ala 2013 drm fiasco, which all companies seem to be gravitating towards.

The point remains though: Sony looks poised to even conquer the market they are entering with game subscription services for some time. He absolutely should mention Sony if he's talking about this market, because they're losing in that one as well.

#8 Posted by Steppy_76 (2350 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X: not if Sony doesn't start building f some infrastructure. They aren't looking for the next 2 to 3 years... they're looking at the next 2 to 3 decades.

#9 Posted by Mandzilla (2110 posts) -

@Steppy_76: That Blockbuster comparison is an interesting one. Man, I do miss Blockbuster though.

#10 Posted by kuu2 (10934 posts) -

Blockbuster and Sears were once on top of their prospective markets. They are now in the dustbin of history.

Who will be next? Place your bets in the market.

#11 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42367 posts) -

I don't think he is excluding SONY from being competition, only saying that there are others to worry about. I think maybe he did it purposefully, in fact, to mention non-gaming entities as possible competition due to their unique infrastructure, while one could argue that the SONY and Nintendo competition is implied.

And keep in mind he said "a decade". We will see two generations of consoles over that period of time if history is any indicator of how things will go. A lot can happen between now and ten years from now; SONY and PS4 could lose their dominance, their next console could be defective or a flop or too expensive or any numbers of things.

Furthermore, Microsoft gaming is bigger than just the Xbox, as they have their hands in a lot of different platforms and so on. SONY, gaming-wise, is pretty much solely PS4.

#12 Edited by artillery77 (61 posts) -

@daniel_su123: I'll believe it when I see it. Like MS has learned you can't just through money at it. You have to get the pulse of the industry. Money helps but it takes time and experience.

#13 Edited by Daniel_Su123 (963 posts) -
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@Steppy_76 said:

These are based upon material developments, like major technological shifts or advancements. For this market, not one significant shift of the same magnitude is on the horizon -- unless it is forced ala 2013 drm fiasco, which all companies seem to be gravitating towards.

The point remains though: Sony looks poised to even conquer the market they are entering with game subscription services for some time. He absolutely should mention Sony if he's talking about this market, because they're losing in that one as well.

Unless you have data centres around the globe to help reduce latency, then Sony isn't poised to conquer anything. You need the whole stack to compete, Amazon, Google have potential to fill in those gaps, Microsoft already has the whole stack covered.

#14 Posted by Shewgenja (20816 posts) -

Plecty of department stores came and went before Sears shuttered. Is XBox a Macys or is it Montgomery Words?

#15 Posted by Daniel_Su123 (963 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:

Plecty of department stores came and went before Sears shuttered. Is XBox a Macys or is it Montgomery Words?

What makes you think Sony isn't Blockbuster or Sears? Though, Sony will likely become Sega before becomes Sears

#16 Posted by Steppy_76 (2350 posts) -

@Shewgenja: or is MS amazon? The e- company that put most of those brick and mortar stores out of business because they didn't adapt to a rapidly changing marketplace?

#17 Posted by tormentos (27974 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:

Yeah, you know, when I think about who I see as our long-term competitors over the next decade in this gaming category, I think you're going to see the big tech companies that Microsoft competes with in many different areas entering. And you see it. Amazon has

Amazon Game Studios. They have for a while. AWS has a very large workload in the gaming space. Google has just started working on Project Stream. And they are -- you can see the work that they're starting to do to enter this category. Tencent is a huge gaming company.

https://view.officeapps.live.com/op...?version=65af4809-9575-21b7-784d-aaf4da3823c6

There should be no surprise of this, both companies have the Cloud infrastructure to scale globally, both have the money and platforms to allow Cloud gaming to happen. Sony has none of this other than PS4. The fundamental fact is, you need data centers in physical locations in other to reduce latency. Microsoft, Google and Amazon are investing aggressively in this field and Sony hasn't anything.

If you want to know why PSNow has a very small availability, lack of global data centers is why.

Nice trolling..

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/sony-to-try-to-get-their-cloud-infrastructure-goin-33442142/

Hahahahaa you were arguing the exact opposite argument just 2 months ago on a thread you make,how you claim now that sony is not investing in that field when you your self reported that they are building their own cloud..Hahahahaa

#18 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (17940 posts) -

We all know the future of gaming is going to be cloud-based... it won't be for a while, but it'll happen.

And if you had to pick between MS, Google, Amazon & Sony in regards to which companies will be the most successful in the "cloud-based future of gaming", I know which company I wouldn't be placing my bets on...

Sony might have the content, but their infrastructure sucks (or is non-existent). If I was Google or Amazon and wanted to make a big splash in gaming, I'd be buying PS from Sony (for their studios).

#19 Posted by tormentos (27974 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

We all know the future of gaming is going to be cloud-based... it won't be for a while, but it'll happen.

And if you had to pick between MS, Google, Amazon & Sony in regards to which companies will be the most successful in the "cloud-based future of gaming", I know which company I wouldn't be placing my bets on...

Sony might have the content, but their infrastructure sucks (or is non-existent). If I was Google or Amazon and wanted to make a big splash in gaming, I'd be buying PS from Sony (for their studios).

Hahahhaa... They are doing now for some years what MS is starting now..lol

Is just freaking servers there is nothing out of this world about a damn cloud,and certainly sony has the capital to invest in it is a more than 70 billion dollar company in sales yearly dude.

This so call argument that sony somehow can't compete on the cloud busyness is just a joke.

#20 Posted by rmiller365 (722 posts) -

Imagine the cluster of crap when this cloud gaming takes off. It's going to be exactly like streaming shows now. You have Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Disney, dc, Comcast direct tv, star, and 20 other content providers all with similar content and a handful of original content all after a slice of the pie.

The library will constantly shift due to licensing like streaming does, you will have zero ownership for your buck, eat even more of your data cap, AND get to create a user name and password and download a client for every single game service! (Don't forget to put your credit card in all of them for automatic withdraws!)

Really, I does seem like the gamer comes out ahead in every aspect!

#21 Posted by Daniel_Su123 (963 posts) -

@tormentos: I never said that they have absolutely no data centers. Of course they do, but to really get PSNow going, they should invest globally, this would help their Streaming service availability.

#22 Edited by Shewgenja (20816 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:@Shewgenja: or is MS amazon? The e- company that put most of those brick and mortar stores out of business because they didn't adapt to a rapidly changing marketplace?

You act like Alibaba isn't a thing, and Sony is so much closer to the East Asian and Southeast Asian distribution model with Playstation than MS is with XBox. Ya'll keep going for the high scores but business thrives by simply meeting the needs of a target market. Ya'll be like "Microsoft, Amazon, Blockbuster is dinosaur" but consumer trends rule the day and Playstation is sticking and moving. Ya'll thought the meteor struck and the dinosaur died with 4D processing and inferior online... That dinosaur already rose up and ate you this gen. I ain't trusting your crystal ball for shit.

The greatest achilles hill from MS and it's fan base is that ya`'ll get trigger happy at at literally the first sign that your situation is improving. The "fake it til you make it" mentality is a bit... on the nose, to be frank. You guys simply have to get over the fair weather fanboyism phase. Nintendo may be understated to a fault but they steadily chip away at the market. Sony kind of bides its time before roaring like the last lion in the forest. Microsoft... kind of flings poo the second they feel the zookeeper is looking away.

Dont take what I am saying as criticism for the sake of criticism, it's an observed pattern. You guys get overhyped for arbitrary reasons and then shift gears to being dictatorial. It would work if y'all had a fraction of the legitimacy that you play up. Until then? You're rubbing Crystal balls and fooling all of nobody. Every time a Lem says "It's the future" an Xbox exclusive scores a 7 or below. Please understand karma. If y'all insisted on being its prison bitch for this long, it's not unreasonable to beg that something is learned from it.

#23 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17940 posts) -

@tormentos: Lol, of course you'd say that.

#24 Posted by General_Solo76 (492 posts) -

R.I.P. Xbox

#25 Posted by tormentos (27974 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@tormentos: Lol, of course you'd say that.

Well is true sony has money and cloud servers are not by any means MS,google or amazon exclusives,any company with the cash can built them,there is nothing fancy about the clouds is just a fancy name for several cluster of servers.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#26 Edited by Blackhairedhero (2343 posts) -

@daniel_su123: And they can all fall behind Sony because thats exactly what's going to happen.

#27 Posted by phbz (3822 posts) -

They can't even make a decent retro console. They just get it right with PS but everything else is... complicated.

#28 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (17940 posts) -

@tormentos: Lol, if you say so.

#29 Posted by speedytimsi (714 posts) -

Amazon is too busy amassing a legion of airplanes.

#30 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8271 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Unless you have data centres around the globe to help reduce latency, then Sony isn't poised to conquer anything. You need the whole stack to compete, Amazon, Google have potential to fill in those gaps, Microsoft already has the whole stack covered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaikai

There ya go buddy.

#31 Posted by Shewgenja (20816 posts) -

@phbz said:

They can't even make a decent retro console. They just get it right with PS but everything else is... complicated.

Is that why this is Sony's most profitable year since the 90's? Because they are just so lost... ?

#32 Posted by That_Old_Guy (668 posts) -

He’s saying this bc of cloud gaming. Both Google and Amazon have theirs in the works as well.

Don’t be surprised if Sony goes all software if they have no cloud network in place.

I keep telling you all that it’s the future.

#33 Posted by DrLostRib (4366 posts) -

@that_old_guy said:

He’s saying this bc of cloud gaming. Both Google and Amazon have theirs in the works as well.

Don’t be surprised if Sony goes all software if they have no cloud network in place.

sony bought gaikai a while ago, it powers Playstation Now

#34 Edited by Daniel_Su123 (963 posts) -
@drlostrib said:
@that_old_guy said:

What does Gaikai have to do with anything? Gaikai doesn't magically make data centers appear all around the world and expand PSNow availability. literally no Sony fan has shown an actual map of Sony's data center reach.

#35 Posted by DrLostRib (4366 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:
@drlostrib said:
@that_old_guy said:

What does Gaikai have to do with anything? Gaikai doesn't magically make data centers appear all around the world.

just pointing out they have their own cloud gaming network

Whether it's good or not is another issue

#36 Posted by That_Old_Guy (668 posts) -

@drlostrib: that was the point. MS, Amazon and Google are well into their plans with very good network abilities.

I don’t think Gaiku or whatever is on the same level.

MS wants to bring gaming, any game, to any device. Next gen Halo on your iPhone 13 or whatever....Forza on your Android tablet.

I don’t Sony is planning for such a massive change.

#37 Posted by phbz (3822 posts) -

@Shewgenja: Because they are doing exceptionally well with the PS4. But I'm just stating facts, every attempt outside of a traditional console has been underwhelming.

#39 Posted by Steppy_76 (2350 posts) -

@Shewgenja: 99%off the posters on this board from all factions change their minds and stances as the wind blows... lems,cows, hermits... we ALL do it.

As for the streaming cloud gaming future...I don't think it is too outlandish to predict that one of the players so are heavily investing in the cloud(ms happens to be the one who recently overtook apple for a short time as the world's most valuable company largely due to its azure cloud investments) would pose a dire threat to Sony when the shift happens. Hell apple was helped out big time by Ms one the 90s when they were on the verge of going out of business. Nobody is safe, and apple rebounded to where they are now. The ps3 nearly dragged Sony down for quite some time. Sony could Getty that infrastructure in place as well, but like the console market it ain't easy to break into an established market and the longer you wait the harder it gets.

#40 Posted by ReCloud (4423 posts) -

You ALL claim ps now is a failure, but...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/psn-now-has-70m-monthly-active-users-ps-plus-hits-/1100-6450250/

LMAO

#41 Posted by robert_sparkes (1749 posts) -

Who would want to play halo on a phone or tablet couldn't think of anything worse.

#42 Posted by SecretPolice (34153 posts) -

Phony's doomed... Doooomed I tellz ya. Prolly Nintendont as well. :P

#43 Edited by Shewgenja (20816 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:

@Shewgenja: 99%off the posters on this board from all factions change their minds and stances as the wind blows... lems,cows, hermits... we ALL do it.

As for the streaming cloud gaming future...I don't think it is too outlandish to predict that one of the players so are heavily investing in the cloud(ms happens to be the one who recently overtook apple for a short time as the world's most valuable company largely due to its azure cloud investments) would pose a dire threat to Sony when the shift happens. Hell apple was helped out big time by Ms one the 90s when they were on the verge of going out of business. Nobody is safe, and apple rebounded to where they are now. The ps3 nearly dragged Sony down for quite some time. Sony could Getty that infrastructure in place as well, but like the console market it ain't easy to break into an established market and the longer you wait the harder it gets.

Sounds like you're holding it over their head for not taking on a massive investment to compete in a crowded market. Outside of console gaming, and perhaps to support their other products with some type of cloud integration, what would Sony have to gain by entering that market? The answer is pretty much nothing, and datacenters are not cheap to stand up or maintain. I guess I just don't get it. MS has cloud and they are free to bang a gong on it, but what that means for gamers or any other customer base for an electronics giant is nebulous at best. It's not the what, it's the why. Hell, they can't even leverage the Vaio brand for servers, even. It's a conceptual dead-end.

#44 Posted by tormentos (27974 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:

lol.

Blockbuster wasn't kill because of streaming,it was killed by piracy and netflix but not netflix like you know it now,when netflix started it was exactly like Blockbuster but without late fees and the movie would arrive by mail,that is how netflix started,it was a huge hole for Blockbuster who loved to charge people late fee daily.

People think that streaming actually kill Blockbuster lol it was already dead when Netflix started to take off.

@kuu2 said:

Blockbuster and Sears were once on top of their prospective markets. They are now in the dustbin of history.

Who will be next? Place your bets in the market.

Again sears has been in trouble for years and isn't because of amazon,is because of Walmart and other companies putting pressure on sears.

By 2004 when Sear and kmart joined already sear and kmart were facing problems,on 2004 online shopping was on infancy.

Streaming for now will not have the quality of stand alone hardware,not everyone has a very fast internet connection.

@phbz said:

Sony has a STREAMING service for some years now,i wonder how fanboys actually believe they can't compete.lol

#45 Edited by dzimm (5068 posts) -

Phil Spencer acknowledges Amazon and Google as long term gaming competitors next decade, sidelines Sony.

I think this is kind of like University of Michigan football fans claiming that Ohio State University isn't a rival because Michigan hasn't been able to consistently beat OSU for years.

#46 Posted by FLOPPAGE_50 (4461 posts) -

Sony is stuck in the 90s

The future is streaming and digital

#47 Edited by dzimm (5068 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:

Blockbuster died because they refused to change with the times and simply kept doing what had made them successful in the past. Things like Redbox vending machines and the original Netflix service where they sent you DVDs in the mail were what did Blockbuster in, not streaming.

#48 Posted by Steppy_76 (2350 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Sounds like you're holding it over their head for not taking on a massive investment to compete in a crowded market. Outside of console gaming, and perhaps to support their other products with some type of cloud integration, what would Sony have to gain by entering that market? The answer is pretty much nothing, and datacenters are not cheap to stand up or maintain. I guess I just don't get it. MS has cloud and they are free to bang a gong on it, but what that means for gamers or any other customer base for an electronics giant is nebulous at best. It's not the what, it's the why. Hell, they can't even leverage the Vaio brand for servers, even. It's a conceptual dead-end.

This is all conjecture, nobody knows what the future holds. All I'm saying is if the markets do lean that way Sony could be in trouble without adjusting what they do/making the right partnerships(maybe teaming up with someone else, who knows). I'm just saying that NO company is safe and standing still could be deadly.

#49 Posted by Shewgenja (20816 posts) -

@Steppy_76: Well, that's a reasonable point. I must have misunderstood, earlier.

#50 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3593 posts) -

I think long ago ( could be around the time early last gen.) I saw some type of chart from Sony about cloud gaming. So pretty sure every combines will headed that way soon or later.. we’ll, not sure about Nintendo lol