Phil "Nobody Wants VR" Spencer calls Half Life Alyx "amazing"; HoloLens creator: "most immersive/inspiring VR game ever"

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

- Half-Life: Alyx Is "Amazing," Says Xbox Boss Phil Spencer

- Microsoft HoloLens Creator: ‘Half-Life: Alyx is the most immersive VR game I’ve ever played’

Even an Executive VP/GM at Blizzard (Mike Ybarra worked at Microsoft for 20 years prior to Blizzard) bought an Index in anticipation for Half Life Alyx:

https://twitter.com/Qwik/status/1200588877154537473

For those saying "That's unpossible! He didn't actually try it!!", MS is about 10 minutes away from Valve's office. Many developers are in this area in Washington. It's not that crazy to think Phil "Nobody Wants VR" Spencer dropped by Valve to try it out.

(pic from Resetera thread)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46513 Posts

Quote please where he said that nobody wants VR.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70120 Posts

The obsession with Phil Spencer from the Sony faction is disturbing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

You see you're dealing with a VR nut job.

See he/she doesn't know the difference between "no one is asking for VR for their next gen machine" and "nobody wants VR"

But he/she's username is a true reflection of the posts produced by this person LOL.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I don't remember him saying nobody wants VR. I remember him in all his years as head of games at MS as Phil 'nobody wants videogames on their videogame console' Spencer.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

whats a VR?

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WhatAFailure
@R4gn4r0k said:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/372206/microsoft-nobody-is-asking-for-vr-on-xbox

As Stevivor reports, Phil Spencer, Microsoft's Head of Xbox, has confirmed that virtual reality isn't something we should expect to see supported on the next generation Xbox. In fact, he doesn't seem to like VR very much at all, explaining, "I have some issues with VR — it's isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience. We're responding to what our customers are asking for and… nobody's asking for VR."

Spencer does admit that some people do want VR experiences, but, "The vast majority of our customers know if they want a VR experience, there's places to go get those. We see the volumes of those on PC and other places."

@i_p_daily said:

See he/she doesn't know the difference between "no one is asking for VR for their next gen machine" and "nobody wants VR"

But he/she's username is a true reflection of the posts produced by this person LOL.

@Pedro said:

Posted the full quote. It still amounts to him being close-minded, hypocritical and all over the place ("VR so isolating but Half Life Alyx AMAZING). And the funny part is him "asking his customers what they want and they said they didn't want VR."

Hey, Phil, you're dealing with Xbox Nutjobs who hate everything Sony does, with a pitifully small consumer base where you don't even have as many customers.

Maybe you shouldn't listen to only 40 million people. You didn't even deliver on promises to them outside of VR, forced them to have Kinect when nobody wanted that shit, causing your console to fall further behind and get laughed at. So what makes Phil the expert on where VR will be in the next 5 years?

And MS has partnerships with WMR manufacturers on the PC side (not to mention an early stake in Facebook..which means they actually do have a tiny tiny tiny stake in Oculus), so they are in VR anyways.

If you are a visionary and have a set of principles you abide by, and actually get continued success from it, I can admire that. I don't have much to criticize.

But if you are all over the place with your messaging, act like a hypocrite who speaks with close-minded absolutism but have shitty ass results, you get called out (and maybe the word 'dumb' might get whispered knowwhatimean). Stop crying. Phil Spencer ain't the Pope.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WhatAFailure

@i_p_daily@Pedro @R4gn4r0k

My my my, here's Phil Spencer not that long ago proudly saying the Scorpio (which would become Xbox One X) would have VR, which was a bullet point feature for a long time:

"...the next step change for gamers and developers must deliver true 4K gaming and high-fidelity VR"

https://twitter.com/PMS_Jordan/status/1199786201412259843

Like I said. All over the place, not clear in what they want, lame excuses about "asking their customers", shitty results = I dont gotta respect you that much

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

This is what happens when you stop talking sh_t and actually try a good VR game. You realize it's amazing. If the jealous anti-VR brigade on this forum would actually try out a solid VR game instead of bombarding every thread with their brain dead fanboy nonsense they would be saying the same thing as Phil. Good VR is amazing, indeed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@whatafailure said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

As Stevivor reports, Phil Spencer, Microsoft's Head of Xbox, has confirmed that virtual reality isn't something we should expect to see supported on the next generation Xbox. In fact, he doesn't seem to like VR very much at all, explaining, "I have some issues with VR — it's isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience. We're responding to what our customers are asking for and… nobody's asking for VR."

Spencer does admit that some people do want VR experiences, but, "The vast majority of our customers know if they want a VR experience, there's places to go get those. We see the volumes of those on PC and other places."

@i_p_daily said:

@Pedro said:

Posted the full quote. It still amounts to him being close-minded, hypocritical and all over the place ("VR so isolating but Half Life Alyx AMAZING). And the funny part is him "asking his customers what they want and they said they didn't want VR."

Hey, Phil, you're dealing with Xbox Nutjobs who hate everything Sony does, with a pitifully small consumer base where you don't even have as many customers.

Maybe you shouldn't listen to only 40 million people. You didn't even deliver on promises to them outside of VR, forced them to have Kinect when nobody wanted that shit, causing your console to fall further behind and get laughed at. So what makes Phil the expert on where VR will be in the next 5 years?

And MS has partnerships with WMR manufacturers on the PC side (not to mention an early stake in Facebook..which means they actually do have a tiny tiny tiny stake in Oculus), so they are in VR anyways.

If you are a visionary and have a set of principles you abide by, and actually get continued success from it, I can admire that. I don't have much to criticize.

But if you are all over the place with your messaging, act like a hypocrite who speaks with close-minded absolutism but have shitty ass results, you get called out (and maybe the word 'dumb' might get whispered knowwhatimean). Stop crying. Phil Spencer ain't the Pope.

Notice the word I put in bold? its asking, no one is asking, not that nobody wants it, know the difference.

I'm going to change your title to VR cow alt nut job.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

So if you're a customer and you want VR, go ask for VR.

Maybe its best to do it somewhere else, though. GS forums only has SW and Political Discussion to keep it going at the moment, and, being honest with ourselves, which of those boards is good for making serious suggestions?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@whatafailure said:

@i_p_daily@Pedro @R4gn4r0k

My my my, here's Phil Spencer not that long ago proudly saying the Scorpio (which would become Xbox One X) would have VR, which was a bullet point feature for a long time:

"...the next step change for gamers and developers must deliver true 4K gaming and high-fidelity VR"

https://twitter.com/PMS_Jordan/status/1199786201412259843

Like I said. All over the place, not clear in what they want, lame excuses about "asking their customers", shitty results = I dont gotta respect you that much

So he said it was going to be and then they've changed their mind over VR, and they're right as its selling like shit so why waste money on it.

But people change their minds all the time, some for the good in not investing on VR like MS, or the bad like Sony saying GT Sport wouldn't have microtransactions and then months after release putting them in on the sly.

No got put that shit on your face and fry what little brain you have left little moo moo alt lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56311 Posts

This thread looks like the one I made several weeks ago but anyways, in Phil's case, he's talking about "Xbox fans not interested in VR," he never said "Nobody Wants VR" in the first place. Phil has a point, VR has a long way to go being mature enough to take a huge investment and this is coming from a guy who owns PSVR.

If I was Phil, I would at least install 3rd-party VR device to be supported onto Xbox Series X so MS doesn't need to have their own VR device. Let it support Oculus at the very least and then, you'll have HL: Alyx on a console.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Yeah, Phil never said that. Asking for and wanting are two different things.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Xbox fans only want halo, gears and forza anyways. Phil jumped on the vr bandwagon then pulled out when team Xbox realized they cant manage projects properly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@subspecies said:

This is what happens when you stop talking sh_t and actually try a good VR game. You realize it's amazing. If the jealous anti-VR brigade on this forum would actually try out a solid VR game instead of bombarding every thread with their brain dead fanboy nonsense they would be saying the same thing as Phil. Good VR is amazing, indeed.

Brain dead coming from a VR nut job is funny thanks for the laugh lol.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@pdogg93 said:

Xbox fans only want halo, gears and forza anyways. Phil jumped on the vr bandwagon then pulled out when team Xbox realized they cant manage projects properly.

No lol. The realized that it wasn't cheap enough for consumers, they still develop them for military applications.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WhatAFailure
@i_p_daily said:

So he said it was going to be and then they've changed their mind over VR, and they're right as its selling like shit so why waste money on it.

But people change their minds all the time, some for the good in not investing on VR like MS, or the bad like Sony saying GT Sport wouldn't have microtransactions and then months after release putting them in on the sly.

No got put that shit on your face and fry what little brain you have left little moo moo alt lol.

He said that in 2016 E3 (promised VR as a feature), and Xbox One X came out in 2017. He hardly gave it time, and VR at that time was very expensive with the PSVR not out yet and no Oculus Quest in existence. Why would he be so proud of VR in 2016, then in 2019 make that dumb excuse "nobody wants to be isolated since gaming is a communal experience." If you believed that, Phil, you wouldn't have made that "we will have VR hee hee!" statement in 2016! Sounds more like nutjob goalpost moving and excuses from the losing team ("I never liked this sport of hockey anyways. I was always more a football guy. More a man's game. My daddy paid for the wrong lessons.")

You make an insult about brains and can't even type like a normal person. Maybe you should work for MS marketing since you don't make any sense.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WhatAFailure
@subspecies said:

Right, a lot of these posts are from those who never tried VR. They speak from ignorance, basically, but then call people who have more experience with the subject "nutjobs".

@davillain- said:

This thread looks like the one I made several weeks ago but anyways, in Phil's case, he's talking about "Xbox fans not interested in VR," he never said "Nobody Wants VR" in the first place. Phil has a point, VR has a long way to go being mature enough to take a huge investment and this is coming from a guy who owns PSVR.

If I was Phil, I would at least install 3rd-party VR device to be supported onto Xbox Series X so MS doesn't need to have their own VR device. Let it support Oculus at the very least and then, you'll have HL: Alyx on a console.

I would agree with that idea. I'm not begging MS to make their own VR device. But if they left it open to other devices at least, one could potentially be playing Half Life Alyx (and the rumored Left 4 Dead VR) on the next gen Xbox console. But it seems like Phil is striking out that possibility for 2020 when VR is gaining serious traction, and yet he was very open to it in 2016, when VR was newer and hugely expensive with far less content. Seems kinda backwards to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Asking for and wanting are two different things...

Oh and you sound upset...lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@whatafailure said:
@i_p_daily said:

He said that in 2016 E3 (promised VR as a feature), and Xbox One X came out in 2017. He hardly gave it time, and VR at that time was very expensive with the PSVR not out yet and no Oculus Quest in existence. Why would he be so proud of VR in 2016, then in 2019 make that dumb excuse "nobody wants to be isolated since gaming is a communal experience." If you believed that, you wouldn't have made that VR feature statement in 2016! Sounds more like nutjob goalpost moving and excuses from the losing team ("I never liked this sport of hockey anyways. I was always more a football guy. More a man's game. My daddy paid for the wrong lessons.")

You make an insult about brains and can't even type like a normal person. Maybe you should work for MS marketing since you don't make any sense.

Oh no I put a T where I wasn't supposed to and that's all you got, how about addressing this little beauty below huh?

@i_p_daily said:
@whatafailure said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

@i_p_daily said:

@Pedro said:

Notice the word I put in bold? its asking, no one is asking, not that nobody wants it, know the difference.

Notice how he says asking and by that he means on Twitter as that's where he answers questions I think, if you want to know for sure though go ask a fellow cow in benjibanklin as he stalks Phil on there. and then he goes on to say he knows some people want it, and NOWHERE did he say NOBODY wants it like your claim, whatafailure :(

Move along little moo moo alt your thread has blown up in your face, but with VR nut jobs its par for the course LOL.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WhatAFailure

@i_p_daily said:

Oh no I put a T where I wasn't supposed to and that's all you got, how about addressing this little beauty below huh?

@i_p_daily said:

Notice how he says asking and by that he means on Twitter ask that's where he answers questions I think, if you want to know for sure though go ask a fellow cow in benjibanklin as he stalks Phil on there. and then goes on to say he knows some people want it, and NOWHERE did he say NOBODY wants it like your claim, whatafailure :(

Move along little moo moo alt your thread has blown up in your face, but with VR nut jobs its par for the course LOL.

On the very Twitter threads I linked, there ARE MS gamers asking for it (keep reading the comments there). In the IGN comments section as well as Youtube where this news is posted, there are MS gamers asking for it and asking for him to reconsider. Quite a few MS gamers are disappointed in Phil with his close-mindedness towards VR. In the clip I showed from E3 2016 with the Scorpio announcement, the Lemmings went "WHOO WHOOO!!" after he said VR.

The evidence clearly shows Phil is the nutjob and confused man. This is the same company that hyped up Whackdown 3 and CLOUD LIFE-CHANGING PHYSICS.

Also, the fact you think VR headsets fry brains really shows you never tried VR.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59231 Posts

I always liked Phil Spencer, except when he said things I didn't like.

It would make sense given how heavily it is influenced by Boneworks, a game that's probably not going to get the credit it deserves in the long run.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sancho_Panzer

For all we know, MS might already have an understanding with one of the big VR players that if they can prove a sufficiently lucrative market, there's a partnership waiting. Maybe that's been the case for some time. Who knows.

But what do you want us to do. If it's not a priority, it's not a priority. Personally, I'd like to see VR on Xbox too - my brother would love to play Flight Sim in VR, but then I don't make MS's investment decisions and I certainly don't hold FB shares. The question is, why do you care so much?

If your whole point is that one time Phil Spencer said x, then another time he said something you construe as y, then ok, but is that really worth a thread? In real life this stuff happens. Plans change, and It's not hard to find contradictions in things anyone says... well, anyone who has the balls to live their life on one "account", at any rate.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59231 Posts

@sancho_panzer said:

If your whole point is that one time Phil Spencer said x, then another time he said something you construe as y, then ok, but is that really worth a thread? In real life this stuff happens. Plans change, and It's not hard to find contradictions in things anyone says... well, anyone who has the balls to live their life on one "account", at any rate.

That and execs are largely posturing peacocks full of shit.

Phil puffs his chest out so far I worry his spinal cord might collapse in on itself.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sancho_Panzer

@uninspiredcup said:
@sancho_panzer said:

That and execs are largely posturing peacocks full of shit.

Phil puffs his chest out so far I worry his spinal cord might collapse in on itself.

Haha.

So why do you like him then? Didn't think he was buff enough for you, cup.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

whats a VR?

You know something new that doesn't run at 30fps at 720p in 2019... Of course a Nintendo fan finds it baffling. Oh maybe you would enjoy the VR cosplay porn they have a Zelda video.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@KBFloYd said:

whats a VR?

You know something new that doesn't run at 30fps at 720p in 2019... Of course a Nintendo fan finds it baffling. Oh maybe you would enjoy the VR cosplay porn they have a Zelda video.

Wait you watch Zelda porn through VR...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@whatafailure: Yawn you have failed in this thread, and you're mad as hell that a company which i'm sure you don't even support anyway is not pandering to a select few such as yourself to implement VR, he even says if you want VR there is other places to get it, so stop with the whinging as its getting old.

Go buy a PSVR, PC versions of VR, and leave us proper gamers alone you VR nut job :(

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@KBFloYd said:

whats a VR?

how are you supposed to grip your wank with that fucking football helmet blinding you? lol

closed eyes technique eh? guess vr is educational.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@KBFloYd: @i_p_daily: Welcome to 2019 boys... There a machines that will do the work for you while you sit back and hope you don't get a electric shock on your man hood.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

As a long time half-life fan i have no interest in VR Half-Life, i'm actually disgusted by it, Gaben spitting on past franchises again, hes going to turn a series once known for being the best of the best in PC gaming to being a glorified tech demo to move steam VR head sets.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11218 Posts

Xbox squad playing super dumb in this thread. Phil says you don't need VR, don't start whining about it now. When Uncle Phil says "Less games for you!"', you say "Sir, yes sir!" like you did with Scalebound.