Peter Molyneux tells you how to play Fable 3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 akira2465
Member since 2004 • 1194 Posts

Peter Molyneux was smarting last week from the fact that half of the people who played his studio's last game, Fable II, didn't bother with half of its depth. People didn't even change their (virtual) clothes. His fault. Molyneux's got a plan to fix things, and to induce more wardrobe changes. The butler will do it — or, at least, endorse it. We're talking about the Fable III butler, voiced by Monty Python's John Cleese, appearing in the game when it launches late this year on the Xbox 360. Molyneux explained: "The butler can say, 'Sir, you are wooing this girl. I can tell you the word on the streets is that you're just a hippie,' or whatever. 'Wear this and you're going to find out it's much better.' It doesn't come across as a tutorial. It comes across as a butler. And it's John Cleese anyway, so it's naturally funny."

The butler solution being implemented by the Fable III team at Molyneux's Lionhead Studios is the latest attempt to fix a problem gamers and game makers suffer from in different ways. That problem is the neglect of parts of a game that have been toiled over but then left unexplored in the shadows. Gamers don't mess with the ability to change clothes in Fable II and X number of hours implementing a clothes-changing system in the game are essentially wasted. And the gamer misses out of something that might have been fun, interesting or even useful for their virtual quest. "Thetragedy of it is there were these machines of [artificial intelligence] all running, anticipating you changing your clothes," Molyneux recalled, reflecting on the results of Microsoft's research into how people played the hit 2008 Fable II. "You could change people's attitude of you from good to evil, from kind to cruel, depending on how you looked. All of this stuff was running ..." And people didn't use it. "We had done all this engineering but no one knew about it at all." Molyneux dismissed the suggestion that maybe players just don't care about changing their character's clothes as they venture to save the world with guns and magic spells. He thinks they would, if they knew they could and if they knew the consequences. So he finds the fault with Lionhead. "We did an atrocious job of making people realize that you could change your clothes."

The problem propelled Lionhead to a new system of in-game menus, ditching a two-dimensional pause menu that enabled text-based clothes-changing for three dimensional private quarters through which your character can walk to find his outfits. The John Cleese butler will hang out in those quarters, suggesting the player try different outfits and, perhaps, informing them of other elements of the game that are being neglected. Molyneux showed Kotaku that navigation through this virtual chamber will be swift, as it mixes character-walking with some eye-blink-fast teleporting from room to room. (Cleese may be the announced voice actor for the butler, but Fable III gamers better hope Molyneux is the role model. A demonstration of a Fable game is always improved by his presence as he points out features, makes under-the-hood calculations sound fascinating, or, as was the case last week, overrules the other Lionhead people in the room and lets Kotaku watch a flythrough of Fable III's new and improved Bowerstone that bears the marks of urban improvement and expansion.)

The Fable III butler won't be the first video game character who is included in order to direct the player's attention to in-game stuff that matters. The fairy Navi in The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time was used by Nintendo's designers to direct player's attention. She was a welcome aid in in the first Zelda that occurred within a three-dimensional space. Various voice-in-the-ear partner characters inform players of Metal Gear or Splinter Cell what they should do to get through a game level alive. Previous helper characters, though, were seldom, if ever, included to draw player's attention to the periphery the way the Fable III butler seems made to do. If the butler really does compel players of a big action-adventure like Fable III to change their clothes, that might be more akin to a Japanese role-playing game that convinces the average player that it is worthwhile to indulge in the game's deep but optional cooking system. Or it would be the fix that could diminish the kind of neglect for side stuff that leaves side quests in adventure game unexplored, that leaves secondary weapons in an action game unused. Imagine if all we neglectful gamers need is a nudge from a butler. With a butler, gamers will know better. And if Fable III gamers change their clothes a little more often, everyone, from the players to the creators will be the better for it. Maybe, virtually, they'll even smell better, not that a Fable game is ever going to keep track of that.

Source :Kotaku (sorry it won't link)

Why doesn't Peter just come over to my house and I'll just watch him play the game?

akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 akira2465

http://kotaku.com/5493244/peter-molyneux-wants-fable-iii-players-to-change-their-clothes

Fixed

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I'm getting really sick of this guy and his ideas.
TheDogout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheDogout
Member since 2010 • 807 Posts

God.

This guy is the hitler of RPGS

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I'll play the way I want :evil:

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
John Cleese = instant win, even if he is pestering me every 5 minutes.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

chikenfriedrice
I'm probablly not gonna play it all lol
Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]

killerfist

maybe I would have liked Fable 2 more if I just changed my damn clothes!!

88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

i think Peter could learn from other rpg's that the easiest way to give players an incentive to change the way their character looks is to make the default character look boring as hell or give clothing attributes so they'd want to change the way they look

dealing with an NPC just means another character you want to kill

Parasomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Parasomniac
Member since 2007 • 2723 Posts
I got tricked by Molyneux twice. I'm not falling for his crap any more.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
No Peter, I'm pretty sure I really just didn't give a **** about changing my clothes!
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
I just wanna ask this, will there be things like "destructable trees" this time? :P Seriously this guy is hyping his games like their gonna be the next coming of jesus with the amount of content oblivion had. But the truth is that they are very simplistic rpgs and they realyl lack content.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
Fable II was a pretty good game. It didn't have much depth and wasn't a good RPG but it was still an enjoyable game. I'll probably get Fable III when the price goes down.
akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 akira2465

[QUOTE="chikenfriedrice"]

killerfist

But you'll make Lord Molyneux a sad panda :( he needs fable 3 to hit 5 million sold so he can introduce a talking frog sidekick in Fable 4 that tells you that you can't use your sword against certain creatures

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

I got tricked by Molyneux twice. I'm not falling for his crap any more.Parasomniac

G4 giving this guy GOTY and a satellite interview was one of the worst things I have seen.

You know how to play Fable? Close your eyes andimagine the game he described instead of looking at your TV.....

Scar_Finger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Scar_Finger
Member since 2010 • 197 Posts
peter molyneux, gabe newell, and tom mcshea should all go shove it
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
peter molyneux, gabe newell, and tom mcshea should all go shove itScar_Finger
WHy tom mcshea? What? I can understand the hate for molyneux but newell is ok.
Scar_Finger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Scar_Finger
Member since 2010 • 197 Posts
[QUOTE="Scar_Finger"]peter molyneux, gabe newell, and tom mcshea should all go shove itAnimal-Mother

he reviews every ps3 exclusive. Uncharted 2 won recod awards and has 80 000 ppl playing online daily and he only gives it a 9.5? give me a break.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
peter molyneux, gabe newell, and tom mcshea should all go shove itScar_Finger
Peter maybe. Gabe....nah.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Scar_Finger"]peter molyneux, gabe newell, and tom mcshea should all go shove itScar_Finger

he reviews every ps3 exclusive. Uncharted 2 won recod awards and has 80 000 ppl playing online daily and he only gives it a 9.5? give me a break.

LOL. And so why did it deserve a 10?
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Scar_Finger"]peter molyneux, gabe newell, and tom mcshea should all go shove itScar_Finger

What???

So you must be mad at Gamespot as well...

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

Hmm, sounds like another Resetti (Animal Crossing) fiasco.

thebaronmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 thebaronmoo
Member since 2007 • 246 Posts

I guess I'm the only person not opposed to this. If it isn't as annoying as Na'vi or whatever that thing was, I could quite enjoy this. It could open up new parts of the game I never saw, and come on, it's John Cleese, of course there's going to be some charm to it.

akira2465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 akira2465

This isn't about UC2, it's a good game and it's a 9.5 DONE stay on topic or start your own thread complaining about UC2 which your a few months late on

mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

sure as hell he's not talking about me

i play which ever way i want

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

[QUOTE="Scar_Finger"]peter molyneux, gabe newell, and tom mcshea should all go shove itArach666
Peter maybe. Gabe....nah.

yeah really gabe is awesome. Im a big ps3 fan but idk why everyones panties are al in a bunch about him not making games for it. Its pretty stupid :/

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts
Classic ^^ Heavy Rain does something similar with the 'thoughts wheel' so its not like its new :roll:
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
im still waiting for features he promised from Fable 1 to show up in any game now
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
I'm getting really sick of this guy and his ideas. AAllxxjjnn
Seriously. Especially since half of it is wasted on superfluous, unnecessary crap like the character's wardrobe. That type of crap is just icing on a game, it's like "oh cool, you can ______ in this game, neat". It's not something to get worked up over, devote extra time to, make a selling-point of the game, etc. Molyneaux needs to spend more time developing new ideas and less time shoving them in our faces like we're too dumb to grasp how awesome they are. "LOOK - CLOTHES!" dude, we had The Sims years ago, we've had RPGs allowing us to dress our character for well over a decade. John Cleese doing VO is WIN, but Molyneaux is a bum. Hopefully they pull an Assassin's Creed and Fable 3 is everything the previous game(s) should have been.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

crazy cow, or fakeboy? due the ban seems to be the last
WWIAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WWIAB
Member since 2006 • 4352 Posts
Sounds interesting Hopefully John Cleese will be good in it And less annoying than the Forza 3 commentator
CaptainHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 CaptainHarley
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

why not just put in meaningful features that make the game good instead of piles of boring filler content

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Fable III: Runway Designer.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

I haven't read his instructions yet, but I'm assuming it can be boiled down to: "playable with your eyes closed".

Nokitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Nokitch
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

Coming up next ,Peter Molyneux shows you how to change your stances while battling to have an upper edge and how to properly explore the world of Fable III . All this is happening Live on channel 42 ; on WWGN (WorldWide Gaming News) in 2 more hours time . In the meantime Peter Molyneux will show us how to properly win a fight against a wasp from his almost-out strategy guide for Fable III which is crazy because Fable III isn't even released yet but nonetheless , he will read 2 chapters of it which is an hour in length per chapter .

Ladies and gentlemen , please welcome Peter Molyneux !