Peter Molyneux: Gaming is being reborn on the PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Instashot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Instashot
Member since 2010 • 665 Posts

Peter Molyneux has told Switched that when he first started creating games for consoles, he compared it to being imprisoned in a box.

Speaking with the site at SXSW in Austin, Molyneux said that over time his view of consoles changed, and lately he's noticed that games are being reborn on PC.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/20/molyneux-gaming-is-being-reborn-on-the-pc/

But the PC is dying? :lol:

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
It's a general fact that we should taken nothing Molyneux says seriously...why should this be an exception?
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

Why do people say PC gaming is dying? I see no such thing. Infact games like WoW and Starcraft profit immensly from PC as well as BATTLEFIELD series. Piracy is strong but mostly against corporations who overprice their games or do this crap DRM.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Wait, did he just say faceook and farmville were the new front in PC gaming. I think I'm about to give up hope on a PC port of Fable 2.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

The fact that people say PC gaming is dying and yet it still has the most developers creating for it just astounds me. PC gaming has been and always will be here and has so many possibilities it's ridiculous. It's not being reborn, it's being realized by people who were unaware of it before.

Diametraphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Diametraphine
Member since 2010 • 1148 Posts

Well, there is your proof. Pc gaming is screwed.

Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

.. He's still talking..?:?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Gaming was dieing? :|

Nokitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Nokitch
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

God .. I just want Molyneux to shut up right now . Fable this , computer that .. OH MY GOD PLEASE JUST SHUT UP MOLYNEUX !

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

He also said that Fable would have depth.....whoops.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
[QUOTE="hexashadow13"]Wait, did he just say faceook and farmville were the new front in PC gaming. I think I'm about to give up hope on a PC port of Fable 2.

Believe me you dont want it anyway.... its a very average game.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
I'd rather gaming didn't go the direction of Farmville.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Lionhead and Microsoft are on the move to get their PC public back. Why? Project Natal is coming and Fable 3 is rumored to be released on PC as well. :lol:

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#14 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

Peter Molyneux has told Switched that when he first started creating games for consoles, he compared it to being imprisoned in a box.

Speaking with the site at SXSW in Austin, Molyneux said that over time his view of consoles changed, and lately he's noticed that games are being reborn on PC.

Instashot

Then why doesn't he go back to making PC games? why hasn't fable 2 been put on PC yet? Oh yeah he signed a stinken contract for his soul and his teams soul over to m$, one of the most restrictive publishers in existence outside of activision. Seriously lionheads (and Peter's previous work was great on PC before he sold out) Remember Black and white? That and its sequel were phenomenal!!! I had so much fun with that game. Then there was dungeon keeper most likely where overlord got its influence from. Before that you have Populous, the originator of the "god game".... They made great games on the PC, if he hates console so much he should find a loop hole and be free of the chains, but its not going to happen.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Why do people even read what Molyneux says, let alone go out on a limb and make a thread on SW about it :|.

Dataleak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dataleak
Member since 2010 • 1737 Posts

Well, there is your proof. Pc gaming is screwed.

MrJono789

The first thing I thought when I read the thread topic.

You heard it here folks. Whatever Peter Molyneux says, the opposite happens so... :( ... :cry:

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Developer Handbook 101; Get rich? Start making games on consoles. Get hated by console gamers? Crawl back to us PC gamers whispering sweet nothings. Do not want good sir. You lost your chance.
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Midnightshade29

[QUOTE="Midnightshade29"]

Then why doesn't he go back to making PC games? why hasn't fable 2 been put on PC yet? Oh yeah he signed a stinken contract for his soul and his teams soul over to m$, one of the most restrictive publishers in existence outside of activision.

ohthemanatee

one word: Psygnosis

Seriously lionheads (and Peter's previous work was great on PC before he sold out) Remember Black and white? That and its sequel were phenomenal!!! I had so much fun with that game. Then there was dungeon keeper most likely where overlord got its influence from. Before that you have Populous, the originator of the "god game".... They made great games on the PC, if he hates console so much he should find a loop hole and be free of the chains, but its not going to happen.

Midnightshade29

Peter Mollyneux was widely criticized for the Black and White series, much the same way he's criticized for Fable.

IGN even called Black and White one of the most overrated games ever.

And i'm sure if people had actually bought black and white 2 then maybe he wouldn't have needed microsoft finacial security.

But looking at your posting history I shouldn't be surprised for such a fanboyish remark

(waits for midnightshade to leave the thread like he always does)

How is my post fanboyish? i love pc gaming , playstation gaming and handheld gaming. I support every console except the 360, as i don't like ms or the console, but i will admit that some of its games are good. And for people enjoying them thats a great thing. Look at my list of platforms, I am hardly a one system person. But even before I owned a ps3 i was against ms since around 2005 when i started to notice pc devs no longer focusing on the pc, or devs being pushed to console or straight out killed (RIP Ensemble, FASA, , ACES, Freelancer dev, Asherons Call dev, etc..killed by MS.) Lionhead made great games (so did bullfrog i believe was the name before them) I bought populous , dungeon keeper and both black and white games and loved all of them. The only game I couldn't stand from that dev was Fable. As it wasn't a real rpg , it felt very restricted and consolish. Being a die hard on Wrpgs with the baldur's gate, torment, vampire, theif , deus ex series etc... it was a let down. I just think they made way better games before ms and were allowed plenty of time to make them. I will admit my disdain for MS due to how they kill devs without a care .. Do I need to post Shane Kim's quote on why 3 pc studios were killed outright? In fact I probably would of never bought a ps3 this gen if pc gaming was what it was like before the 360 came around. I am happy i did because I forgot how good games on the PS consoles were, but I still wouldn't mind more pc games. I am just thankful that Sid Meier's Civilization Series isn't owned by ms or that wouldn't be seeing a 5th one either. (which it looked like was going to happen after revolutions... glad it didn't sell well on console!)

Is that a good enough response for you othemanatee? Sorry but a lot of time I post from my ipod touch or at work or when my girl is in the other room. I don't always have time to keep track of every thread i post in till later. Just so we clear this up. i support all consoles except the 360 , but think it has some good games, but I don't own one because I don't support the company who abandoned pc gaming and made online a pay to pay service (and tried it on pc but failed) I don't support that, online service to pay for optional benifits sure. Online to even play online games or to get demos no, that to me is just wrong, but that's off topic. Now you know how I stand Manatee, I hope you are not disappointed.

1zenron1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 1zenron1
Member since 2010 • 672 Posts
Reborn? It wasn't dying in the first place. I don't like that guy...
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#21 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49600 Posts
He should bring Fable 2 and Fable 3 to the PC, and also make a Movies 2. That would be brilliant.
too_much_eslim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 too_much_eslim
Member since 2006 • 10727 Posts
[QUOTE="hexashadow13"]Wait, did he just say faceook and farmville were the new front in PC gaming. I think I'm about to give up hope on a PC port of Fable 2.

Um you should have done that some time ago
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts

[QUOTE="hexashadow13"]Wait, did he just say faceook and farmville were the new front in PC gaming. I think I'm about to give up hope on a PC port of Fable 2.too_much_eslim
Um you should have done that some time ago

Shut up :'( *cries*

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

Why do people say PC gaming is dying? I see no such thing. Infact games like WoW and Starcraft profit immensly from PC as well as BATTLEFIELD series. Piracy is strong but mostly against corporations who overprice their games or do this crap DRM.

RadecSupreme

I think it has to do with the lack of genres they prefer which wouldnt make the PC a viable alternative to them even if it's greatest advantage is superior hardware.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts
PC gaming will never die, indie developers always make games for PC.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Developer Handbook 101; Get rich? Start making games on consoles. Get hated by console gamers? Crawl back to us PC gamers whispering sweet nothings. Do not want good sir. You lost your chance.Vandalvideo

Hahahaha oh man you are funny..."Get hated by console gamers?". That sir is a good one. Fable sells great and gets good scores. Just becouse you see people on forums such as this complaining means nothing. We are a whiny, nerdy, trolling, loud minority. Most gamers dont post on forums, becouse they simply play the games they like without having to justify their choices to strangers. Mixed feeling surround Fable just as it was with Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper 2, Black and White 1 and 2, The Movies....So stop being bitter and enjoy the fact that a great mind has no forgotten about the PC.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Make Dungeon Keeper 3 and all's forgiven.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Make Dungeon Keeper 3 and all's forgiven.

jun_aka_pekto

You should ask EA to make Dungeon Keeper 3 cause they have the rights to Bullfrogs games not Molyneux.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

You should ask EA to make Dungeon Keeper 3 cause they have the rights to Bullfrogs games not Molyneux.

rzepak

Really? Never mind.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

RadecSupreme

Basically people say it because PC gaming isn't the powerhouse it was 5-10 years ago. People basically said the same thing about Nintendo before the wii came out.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

How is my post fanboyish? i love pc gaming , playstation gaming and handheld gaming. I support every console except the 360, as i don't like ms or the console, but i will admit that some of its games are good. And for people enjoying them thats a great thing. Look at my list of platforms, I am hardly a one system person. But even before I owned a ps3 i was against ms since around 2005Midnightshade29
You answered your own question. Owning all systems does not exempt one from being a fanboy and you most certainly are one

when i started to notice pc devs no longer focusing on the pc, or devs being pushed to console or straight out killed (RIP Ensemble, FASA, , ACES, Freelancer dev, Asherons Call dev, etc..killed by MS.) Lionhead made great games (so did bullfrog i believe was the name before them) I bought populous , dungeon keeper and both black and white games and loved all of them. The only game I couldn't stand from that dev was Fable. As it wasn't a real rpg , it felt very restricted and consolish. Being a die hard on Wrpgs with the baldur's gate, torment, vampire, theif , deus ex series etc... it was a let down. I just think they made way better games before ms and were allowed plenty of time to make them. I will admit my disdain for MS due to how they kill devs without a care .. Do I need to post Shane Kim's quote on why 3 pc studios were killed outright? In fact I probably would of never bought a ps3 this gen if pc gaming was what it was like before the 360 came around. I am happy i did because I forgot how good games on the PS consoles were, but I still wouldn't mind more pc games. I am just thankful that Sid Meier's Civilization Series isn't owned by ms or that wouldn't be seeing a 5th one either. (which it looked like was going to happen after revolutions... glad it didn't sell well on console!) Midnightshade29

Remember Psygnosis? that Amiga only developer that sony bought and butchered? And that now are doomed to make nothing more then rehash after rehash of wipeout? They created over 30 different ip's before being bought by sony and for the last 10 years they have only been making wipeout games.

And you want to talk about dead studios? then how about:

Psygnosis (shadow of the beast, agony)

989 studios (Syphon filter) (don't confuse them with 989 sports, they only kept the name)

Free Radical (Time splitters) dead thanks to sony

Factor 5, also dead thanks to sony

Singletrack (twisted metal)

I just love how hipocritical you are, indeed in my opinion you are the absolute worst fanboy here in system wars, your hate is simply irrational

Is that a good enough response for you othemanatee? Sorry but a lot of time I post from my ipod touch or at work or when my girl is in the other room. I don't always have time to keep track of every thread i post in till later. Just so we clear this up. i support all consoles except the 360 , but think it has some good games, but I don't own one because I don't support the company who abandoned pc gamingand made online a pay to pay service (and tried it on pc but failed) I don't support that, online service to pay for optional benifits sure. Online to even play online games or to get demos no, that to me is just wrong, but that's off topic. Now you know how I stand Manatee, I hope you are not disappointed.

Midnightshade29

Am I supposed to be impressed...or care? or even believe that? for all I know you're just a 13 year old kid with too much time on your hands and not enough logic on your head

Yes, because sony and intendo have always been such supporters of the PC gaming scene

Dreamcast says hi, Nintendo DD also says hello

Oh you never fail to disapoint

Edit: Oh and I love the fact that you gave the 360 version of FF 13 a 1.0 but you gave the PS3 version a 9.0 and yet you claim you are not a fanboy, bitter much? :lol:

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts
PC would have to be dead to be reborn.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Basically people say it because PC gaming isn't the powerhouse it was 5-10 years ago. People basically said the same thing about Nintendo before the wii came out.

jrhawk42

If that were true why would it matter? It's still out performing consoles; even in its current state.

When new developers have to compete with A) 1st/2nd party titles that don't have to account for the conditions the 3rd party deal with and B) publisher backed big budget cross platform games that can afford to target three platforms at once to accommodate their development costs, PC becomes desirable to mid size/starter/indie developers who don't want to/cannot afford to compete under those conditions.

Sure it means there won't be many blockbuster exclusives on PC; but consoles aren't doing good in that area either. The ones they do get are far more often than not 1st or 2nd party with Sony/Microsoft financial backing. When comparing 3rd party to 3rd party; PC is doing far better.

So I don't get people who say PC isn't what it used to be, they make it sound like PC is doing badly now; when clearly it is not. Note I'm not directing that to you, it's at people like what's his name with the Doom avatar.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Midnightshade29

ohthemanatee -- Glad I have a fan... j/k.. Anyway Pysignosis, made Lemmings (which was re-released on the PS3 and multiple other systems), Colony Wars (i belive 3 games on the PS1) and a gazillion wipeout games over the years.. Which are all awesome!!! I love wiepout pure and pulse on the psp and the Wipeout HD/Fury game on the PS3 (best $20 I spent on a game in a long time!! It has a platinum trophy too.) 989 studios went on to become San Diego studios and Sony Bend... The guys who made the 3 syphon filter games on the PS1 and the few on the PS2 as well as the great Dark mirror and logan's shadow on the PSP + twisted metal 3, 4, coolboarders 3,4 and jetmoto. (plus there is rumor of Syphon filter coming from Sony Bend for the PS3) The San Diego studios went on to make more sports games nfl gameday, Nba the inside and the highly accliamed MLB the show. They are also working with united front games on Mod nation racers. So how are they a dead studio? Factor five and Free Radical was not Sony owned devs, they just did a 3rd party exclusive for Ps3 in its infancy and just so happened to make 2 very bad games. Lair and Haze, and how is that Sony's fault? you are going to blame Sony for Haze? A game made by a 3rd party publihsed by Ubisoft? These two devs died but they weren't killed by Sony.... Try again.

I stated pure fact... ACes, FASA, Ensemble were all PC devoted devs that were killed off last year by MS, it was news here on GS. heres a good article for you on why I don't like ms being a pc gamer: (and btw.. 13 years old come on now... Switch those numbers around and you will have your correct answer.)

linky: http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/2009/01/24/end-of-an-era/

Since Xbox was announced we've often heard Microsoft reps assuring us PC gamers that they are still committed fully to PC gaming. Maybe we should have been less trustful, but when MS was shipping games like Rise of Nations or Freelancer we really had no reason to expect the worst. Then came the whole Games for Windows initiative. And we were once again assured how much MS is into PC gaming, we were promised a lot, what did we get? Let's see what MS has done with their PC gaming division in the last few years.

* Moved FASA franchises (Battletech, CrimsonSkies and Shadowrun) to Xbox, when they flopped there MS closed down FASA studios and sold the IPs. Not to mention that they didn't extend the relationships with independent PC developers who worked on those franchises in their PC forms (especially Zipper is a good example, they went in to Playstation 2 where they created the popular SOCOM franchise and eventually got bought by Sony)
* Moved Links and Midtown Madness to Xbox, they flopped there, so Access Software was sold to 2K
* Let go of Digital Anvil teams who worked on PC Conquest: Frontier Wars and Loose Cannon. The remaining team was switched to Xbox to work on BruteForce, it flopped, MS as always closed them down.
* Got rid of Ashersons Call franchise by selling it back to Turbine
* Let Big Hug Games go (despite owning part of it), the company was bought by THQ
* Canceled the MMORPG Mythica
* Canceled MS Train Simulator 2 (it's developed KUJU eventually restarted the project and released it as Rail Simulator through Electronic Arts)
* Got rid of Marvel Online MMORPG, the devs went to Take2 where it became Champions Online
* First switched Ensemble (their most successful PC dev and one that specialized in games that do not work all that well on consoles) to 360 to make Halo Wars and then when the game was almost done they announced the studio will be closed down when the game ships.
* Zoo Tycoon IP is no longer in MS portfolio as the developer Blue Fang has switched publishers to THQ
* They bought PC-centric Lionhead Studios and from that moment there's just sound of crickets when asking about any upcoming PC projects they have.
* Even some ports of console games MS published (namely Jade Empire and Mass Effect) weren't published by Microsoft

Basically since MS announced their newly restored commitment to PC gaming they've systematically been wiping it out, switching whatever they could to Xbox and whatever they couldn't switch they've closed down, sold or just let go.

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

Oh Mr Molyneux who hasn't made a good game since Dungeon Keeper, how i don't believe a word you say. Go back to your Milo.

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Midnightshade29

Here is more to the article. Being a PC gamer for as long as I have, i think my dislike of ms is justified. I don't want to dislike MS, in fact I used to like their "PC Games" Freelancer and Mechwarrior series were excellent as well as Age of Empires and Flight sim!!! Every pc gamer needs to read this article:

http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/2009/01/24/end-of-an-era/

It's ironic that the company who has a monopoly in OS market, one that is creating tools that every PC developer uses has moved out of PC gaming market. I have troubles thinking of any important publisher who actually has as little support for PC gaming. Yep, even Japanese console-centric publishers like Square Enix, Koei or Tecmo have stronger line-up of PC games than Microsoft does.Heck… Sony has a lot stronger upcoming PC line-up, you can almost taste the irony
PC gamers who are old enough probably still remember Origin, Bullfrog and Westwood, when Electronic Arts closed them down they got a widespread reputation of an "Evil Empire". Well, I think it's safe to say that now we've seen Microsoft climb upon that iron throne, threw the emperor out and put the crown on their own head.

To be fair they did more than just destroy, but even this ended up badly.They've tried to make us PC gamers give up free online gaming on dedicated servers, something we love so much and instead make us pay for playing through P2P, just like 360 users are. Then they tried cross-platform play, which also crashed and burned. Both of those have failed and we can be really thankful for that.
The only project of theirs that somewhat succeeded was the GamesforWindows branding, except in reality all it did was add an ugly bar on top of PC boxes and as it was a campaign aimed at increasing retail sales while looking as NPD's data for sales of retail pc games in US last year it's obvious they've failed at this.

On one of the sites I regularly visit I saw somebody comment that to Microsoft every PC gamer is a lost 360 gamer and it's probably close to the truth as evident by this interview

If we launch a game that is on 360 and PC simultaneously, we basically shoot ourselves in the foot by allowing the German market to choose to play the PC version – because they are more likely to buy that than spend their money on the Xbox 360. (…) If we launched a Halo game on PC and 360 in Germany simultaneously, 80 per cent of sales would be on the PC

Closing down developers isn't anything new and unfortunately it's also not something that happens rarely. But the reason why it happens are almost always weak sales. In this case though it's different. MS didn't just get rid of some under performing PC devs. Age of Empires franchise sold over 20 mln copies (Age of Empires 3 sold well over 2mln copies alone), Zoo Tycoon franchise has sold over 5 mln copies and finally Flight Simulator franchise was taken up in the Guinness Book of Records with 21 million copies sold per June 1999 and who knows how much more it sold since then considering Flight Simulator X sold over million copies in USA alone.
Those were very successful and popular franchises. And from financial standpoint putting Ensemble on console RTS project just didn't make any sense.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ohthemanatee

Ah yes the "bu-bu-bu the games are awesome" excuse. By that logic who needs the bullfrog games? after all "f-f-f-fable is awesome".

Also notice how I said in the last 10 years, Psygnosis has only created wipeout games since the start of the PS2 era with the odd lemmings exception

"989 studios went on to become San Diego studios and Sony Bend... The guys who made the 3 syphon filter games on the PS1 and the few on the PS2 as well as the great Dark mirror and logan's shadow on the PSP + twisted metal 3, 4, coolboarders 3,4 and jetmoto. (plus there is rumor of Syphon filter coming from Sony Bend for the PS3) The San Diego studios went on to make more sports games nfl gameday, Nba the inside and the highly accliamed MLB the show. They are also working with united front games on Mod nation racers. So how are they a dead studio?"

Part of the studio broke off from sony, the other part was assimilated into other studios... you know like Ensemble and Fasa, like I said, your hipocrisy is a shining beacon to us all

"Factor five and Free Radical was not Sony owned devs, they just did a 3rd party exclusive for Ps3 in its infancy and just so happened to make 2 very bad games. Lair and Haze, and how is that Sony's fault? you are going to blame Sony for Haze? A game made by a 3rd party publihsed by Ubisoft? These two devs died but they weren't killed by Sony.... Try again."

Sony owns the lair franchise, because of their so called god's gift on earth called "teh cell" we've lost two major studios with a rich history I can blame sony just as well. Do I hate sony for it? not really, it's all business, but then again i'm not a hypocrite like some people

"I stated pure fact... ACes, FASA, Ensemble were all PC devoted devs that were killed off last year by MS, it was news here on GS. heres a good article for you on why I don't like ms being a pc gamer: (and btw.. 13 years old come on now... Switch those numbers around and you will have your correct answer.) Since Xbox was announced we've often heard Microsoft reps assuring us PC gamers that they are still committed fully to PC gaming. Maybe we should have been less trustful, but when MS was shipping games like Rise of Nations or Freelancer we really had no reason to expect the worst. Then came the whole Games for Windows initiative. And we were once again assured how much MS is into PC gaming, we were promised a lot, what did we get? Let's see what MS has done with their PC gaming division in the last few years. * Moved FASA franchises (Battletech, CrimsonSkies and Shadowrun) to Xbox, when they flopped there MS closed down FASA studios and sold the IPs. Not to mention that they didn't extend the relationships with independent PC developers who worked on those franchises in their PC forms (especially Zipper is a good example, they went in to Playstation 2 where they created the popular SOCOM franchise and eventually got bought by Sony) * Moved Links and Midtown Madness to Xbox, they flopped there, so Access Software was sold to 2K * Let go of Digital Anvil teams who worked on PC Conquest: Frontier Wars and Loose Cannon. The remaining team was switched to Xbox to work on BruteForce, it flopped, MS as always closed them down. * Got rid of Ashersons Call franchise by selling it back to Turbine * Let Big Hug Games go (despite owning part of it), the company"

I find it hilarious that you are always bashing the 360 because many of it's exclusives (including first party exclusives) end up on the PC therefore negating the need for a 360 and now you're doing a 180 on your claim and saying that they don't support the PC enough. So which is it? :lol:

"Got rid of Ashersons Call franchise by selling it back to Turbine * Let Big Hug Games go (despite owning part of it), the company was bought by THQ * Canceled the MMORPG Mythica * Canceled MS Train Simulator 2 (it's developed KUJU eventually restarted the project and released it as Rail Simulator through Electronic Arts) * Got rid of Marvel Online MMORPG, the devs went to Take2 where it became Champions Online * First switched Ensemble (their most successful PC dev and one that specialized in games that do not work all that well on consoles) to 360 to make Halo Wars and then when the game was almost done they announced the studio will be closed down when the game ships. * Zoo Tycoon IP is no longer in MS portfolio as the developer Blue Fang has switched publishers to THQ * They bought PC-centric Lionhead Studios and from that moment there's just sound of crickets when asking about any upcoming PC projects they have.""

you mean Microsoft *gasp* bought devs to make games for their system? Yet i'm sure you don't hate sony when they bought devs to suddenly start making Playstation exclusives :roll:

Also from your post it seems most of microsoft's games were third party, if it's a simple matter of switching publishers I fail to see where is the big deal.

Oh and I love it how you didn't even comment on the fact that you gave a 1.0 to the 360 version of FF 13 while giving the PS3 version a 9.0. Let me guess... The xbox 360 ruined the franchise :roll:

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Midnightshade29
So before you go accusing me of being a fanboy, ohthemanatee, i wanted you to know, why I feel the way I do. I have no problem with people enjoying the 360, or its games at all. I think its great that gamers are enjoying gaming. the only reason I brought this up is that Lionhead was a predominately PC dev and this thread was about Peter Moleyneux commenting on PC gaming... PC gaming is something that I have been doing since the Mid 80's on my Apple IIc (yes it was the predominate pc for games at one point in time.) and later on to a IBM compat 8088 with a whopping 4 color cga display.. playing Ulitma 3 on that was as good as it got back then.lol... Then to a 386 wiht 2x speed cd-rom drive and windows 3.0 sound blaster compatible and one of the first super-vga cards.. Being able to buy Ultima underwolrd and wing commander on one disc with full voice acting for everything was amazing back in 1990!!!! PC gaming is a hobby I hold dear and its just laughable you think i am some 13 year old making thist stuff up.... You still think I am a 13 year old kid? Lol... And look there is 3 comments for you. Saying I drop out of threads...where's your response?
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

rzepak

This is a good thing, if Molyneux remade Syndicate id be very disappointed as it wouldn't bevery good.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ohthemanatee

So before you go accusing me of being a fanboy, ohthemanatee, i wanted you to know, why I feel the way I do. I have no problem with people enjoying the 360, or its games at all. I think its great that gamers are enjoying gaming. the only reason I brought this up is that Lionhead was a predominately PC dev and this thread was about Peter Moleyneux commenting on PC gaming... PC gaming is something that I have been doing since the Mid 80's on my Apple IIc (yes it was the predominate pc for games at one point in time.) and later on to a IBM compat 8088 with a whopping 4 color cga display.. playing Ulitma 3 on that was as good as it got back then.lol... Then to a 386 wiht 2x speed cd-rom drive and windows 3.0 sound blaster compatible and one of the first super-vga cards.. Being able to buy Ultima underwolrd and wing commander on one disc with full voice acting for everything was amazing back in 1990!!!! PC gaming is a hobby I hold dear and its just laughable you think i am some 13 year old making thist stuff up.... Midnightshade29

Once again... am I supposed to be impressed? or care?

OH and by the way maybe you didn't read my first post but I did state that Molyneux has received a lot of flak for his PC games ever since he formed Lionhead. With games like black and white being called one of the most overrated games ever.

You still think I am a 13 year old kid?Midnightshade29
You certainly act like one

And look there is 3 comments for you. Saying I drop out of threads...where's your response?Midnightshade29

Last time I checked I have been responding, I can't be blamed if you prefer to hear the sound of your own voice rather then actually being coherent

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="Instashot"]

Midnightshade29

Then why doesn't he go back to making PC games? why hasn't fable 2 been put on PC yet? Oh yeah he signed a stinken contract for his soul and his teams soul over to m$, one of the most restrictive publishers in existence outside of activision. Seriously lionheads (and Peter's previous work was great on PC before he sold out) Remember Black and white? That and its sequel were phenomenal!!! I had so much fun with that game. Then there was dungeon keeper most likely where overlord got its influence from. Before that you have Populous, the originator of the "god game".... They made great games on the PC, if he hates console so much he should find a loop hole and be free of the chains, but its not going to happen.

yeah black and white...which after playing with it for a while most critics took back the high scores they gave it, and thought of it as an abysmal game, as well it didn't sell very well now did it. lol come back when you have more about microsoft being a restrictive game developer...till then all you have really is FASA studio claiming it AFTER the fact....and only a paragraphs worth of words no real proof. You've not worked at Microsoft, you don't work for bungie or any other studio owned by Microsoft.. so please drop the but but but microsoft is restrictive.

Edit: come back with better proof then adrian warner thank you very much. you whorship at the altar of Sony and try to claim microsoft is the one true satan with no proof, and ignore all the damage done by sony in the games industry.

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

Molyneux need to shut his cake hole. Its like he has a new statement every week.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="Midnightshade29"]

[QUOTE="Instashot"]

WilliamRLBaker

yeah black and white...which after playing with it for a while most critics took back the high scores they gave it, and thought of it as an abysmal game, as well it didn't sell very well now did it. lol come back when you have more about microsoft being a restrictive game developer...till then all you have really is FASA studio claiming it AFTER the fact....and only a paragraphs worth of words no real proof. You've not worked at Microsoft, you don't work for bungie or any other studio owned by Microsoft.. so please drop the but but but microsoft is restrictive.

Oh i don't think you understand the problem. The problem is that Microsoft bought gaming studios for... *gasp* developing games exclusively on their console... Microsoft is so evil and restrictive :cry:

SmokieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SmokieX
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts

Dude needs to stfu and start making good game's or stop completely. I don't usually say things like this, but Fable 3 is going to be a complete failure.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WilliamRLBaker

did any one even read the article? so many people are all Molyneux needs to shut up...blah blah blah....

why does Molyneux need to shut up in this instance? he said PC gaming is being reborn, I.E new ideas and methods of how games are made, and talked about are being done on PC. he never said PC gaming died, or is dieing, just that it is being reborn.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

[QUOTE="Midnightshade29"] Then why doesn't he go back to making PC games? why hasn't fable 2 been put on PC yet? Oh yeah he signed a stinken contract for his soul and his teams soul over to m$, one of the most restrictive publishers in existence outside of activision. Seriously lionheads (and Peter's previous work was great on PC before he sold out) Remember Black and white? That and its sequel were phenomenal!!! I had so much fun with that game. Then there was dungeon keeper most likely where overlord got its influence from. Before that you have Populous, the originator of the "god game".... They made great games on the PC, if he hates console so much he should find a loop hole and be free of the chains, but its not going to happen.

ohthemanatee

Oh i don't think you understand the problem. The problem is that Microsoft bought gaming studios for... *gasp* developing games exclusively on their console... Microsoft is so evil and restrictive :cry:

yeah how dare Microsoft shutdown any single studio or fire anyone. Sony never does that, the 1st ever janitor at Sony HQ is still there...hes 99 years old and can't work but they still pay him. Sony has never shut down a studio EVER.