Persona 5, SP niche JRPG sold more than 2.2 million worldwide

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

"Last December, Persona 5 had sold two million copies worldwide, making it the highest-selling game in the series so far. The latest milestone sees the title surpass 2.2 million copies sold worldwide.

The figures come from Sega’s latest financial results."

https://www.vg247.com/2018/05/15/persona-5-golden-hits-another-milestone-with-2-2-million-units-sold-worldwide/

I thought the days of SP JRPGs were doomed and here we are, niche titles selling more than some "popular" titles...

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

It's great news for the jrpg genre hopefully more get translated and released.

Agg07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 Agg07
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts

I wish it had sold more, it’s truly a fantastic game. I’d like the next one to be on consoles as well.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

So... Forza 7 is now lagging behind a niche JRPG? What a mess, not even lems buy their own flagship titles anymore.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

2 million sold on a 70 million sold console...that is the very definition of niche. Barely 3% of owners bought the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Is that across both PS3 and

PS4?

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

Online coverage does way more for games' sales figures than any amount of traditional advertising. All the Youtubers and reviewers giving as much attention to Persona 5 as they did definitely had an impact on the game's sales. For instance: Do you think that indie games such as Minecraft or Undertale would've became as popular as they did without the large amount of Let's Players or content creators in general making videos about it? Not like those games had huge conferences at E3 or TV ads before they got popular...

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bread_or_Decide

@toonlonk said:

Online coverage does more for games than any amount of traditional advertising. All the Youtubers and reviewers giving as much attention to Persona 5 as they did definitely had an impact on the game's sales. For instance: Do you think that indie games such as Minecraft or Undertale would've became as popular as they did without the large amount of Let's Players or content creators in general making videos about it?

Online coverage helps already popular games. AAA titles have ads and PR to sell the game for them. Look at Nintendo and the Switch, their youtube policies have not changed and they are doing fantastic without the "help" of youtube tabloid sensationalist videos.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bread_or_Decide

@boycie said:

Is that across both PS3 and

PS4?

Shhhh you're going to ruin their pony party.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Persona 5 was nominated for GOTY making it the first ever JRPG game to be nominated gives it a reason why it's popular game on PS4. (PS3)

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@toonlonk said:

Online coverage does more for games than any amount of traditional advertising. All the Youtubers and reviewers giving as much attention to Persona 5 as they did definitely had an impact on the game's sales. For instance: Do you think that indie games such as Minecraft or Undertale would've became as popular as they did without the large amount of Let's Players or content creators in general making videos about it?

Online coverage helps already popular games. AAA titles have ads and PR to sell the game for them. Look at Nintendo and the Switch, their youtube policies have not changed and they are doing fantastic without the "help" of youtube tabloid sensationalist videos.

I know and was just using a few indies that wouldn't have become otherwise popular without the online coverage. I mean, Nintendo's surely benefiting a lot from the world of the Internet. Their main Mario Odyssey trailer somehow got 28 million views. BotW's come along with 14 million. Even their Parental Controls video scored 21 million. Those are higher numbers of audiences then what Nintendo's used to seeing, and it's coming from them knowing how to use hype and feed into Internet culture.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

TC pulling out the victim card again. Good games sell well, no need for an angle the extra spin.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@davillain- said:

Persona 5 was nominated for GOTY making it the first ever JRPG game to be nominated

Many JRPGs got GOTY nominations before P5.

@toonlonk said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@toonlonk said:

I know and was just using a few indies that wouldn't have become otherwise popular without the online coverage. I mean, Nintendo's surely benefiting a lot from the world of the Internet. Their main Mario Odyssey trailer somehow got 28 million views. BotW's come along with 14 million. Even their Parental Controls video scored 21 million. Those are higher numbers of audiences then what Nintendo's used to seeing, and it's coming from them knowing how to use hype and feed into Internet culture.

Not only YouTube, but social media in general, whether it's YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, etc. If a game can get trending on social media, then it's a sure-fire hit. A good example would be PUBG, which sold tens of millions because of social media trending.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReCloud

@Bread_or_Decide: @boycie: both, I believe, and that's really good news, if anything, it means persona 6 is coming.

And, duh, persona IS a niche title, Captain obvious.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@rafaelmsoares said:

So... Forza 7 is now lagging behind a niche JRPG? What a mess, not even lems buy their own flagship titles anymore.

They are too busy playing bargain bin 360 games cause they wasted 500 bucks.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I think the series could have done far better if they put it in last gen consoles, instead since the localization delay it got put out on PS2 around same time PS3 released, and Persona 4 well after, and other ambitions with IP were for PSP, Vita, and 3DS, and they made Catherine last gen, still good, but I think Persona could have done well after the disappointment many had with the Final Fantasy series last gen. Just goes to show what the IP can do being put out on a more relevant system at a better time.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Persona 5
God Of War

Soon to be Spiderman
The Last Of Us 2

Gonna be a good year for games:)

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ReCloud

@lamprey263: they put p5 on ps3 and PS4, how are those two systems not relevant?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts
@rafaelmsoares said:

It's an embarrassment.

Flopza can't even break a million on Xbox/PC while a niche JRPGs is selling over 2 million on PS4/PS3. With all the marketing and gaming media hype Flopza gets it should be killing it in sales.

? Lems don't even buy their own shit, they just love to come on the internet and talk about how Sony exclusives are overrated, bunch of clowns.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rafaelmsoares

@Bread_or_Decide said:

2 million sold on a 70 million sold console...that is the very definition of niche. Barely 3% of owners bought the game.

About 4% of the X1 userbase bought Forza 7... is it niche too, then?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Decent I guess, but this is one of the most highly regarded JRPGs in existence, I wonder how lesser caliber JRPGs sell

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ReCloud

@Alucard_Prime: they sell really poorly, enough for them to keep launching sequels though and their budget is really low.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

Niche is Rabid Xbox Fanatic code for it's not on my box.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

Decent I guess, but this is one of the most highly regarded JRPGs in existence, I wonder how lesser caliber JRPGs sell

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/disgaea-5-complete-sales-top-200000

And yet they are making Disgaea 1 remake for the Switch.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

So it's been out for like a year and a half on two platforms and it just reached 2+ million?

May be a larger niche than the previous titles, but still seems niche

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide

@rafaelmsoares said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

About 4% of the X1 userbase bought Forza 7... is it niche too, then?

Yes. Although it has a smaller user base.

Who cares about xbox and forza? We're talking about sony and Persona 5 right now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Would love to see this come to the Xbox One. If not then I’ll just get the PS4 version when I get around to picking up the system.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jag85

@drlostrib: It crossed 2 million last year. Now it crossed 2.2 million.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Very good sales figures for a niche Japanese RPG. If future games in the series continues to sell very well, then Persona may no longer be a niche franchise but a mainstream one in the likes of Pokemon, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrLostRib
@Jag85 said:

@drlostrib: It crossed 2 million last year. Now it crossed 2.2 million.

I'm aware

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ReCloud

@Bread_or_Decide: persona is a niche franchise, a low budget one at that. What are you getting at? And sells more than M$ flagship. And it's not owned by Sony, neither is payed by the exclusivity. What are you talking about?

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ReCloud

@drlostrib: yes, it is niche and sells more than some flagships of some consoles.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DrLostRib
@recloud said:

@drlostrib: yes, it is niche and sells more than some flagships of some consoles.

which ones?

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ReCloud

@drlostrib: sold more than forza 7 lol

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DrLostRib
@recloud said:

Forza 7 has only been out since october, how much did it sell?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Persona 5 launched in Sept. of 2016 in Japan and April of 2017 WW, on 2 platforms and it has sold 2.2 million to date. There are over 150 million PS3 and PS4 consoles out there. That sure sounds niche to me...

Lets be clear about what niche means, because it seems like some folks are confused.

adjective

1. denoting or relating to products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rafaelmsoares

@onesiphorus said:

Very good sales figures for a niche Japanese RPG. If future games in the series continues to sell very well, then Persona may no longer be a niche franchise but a mainstream one in the likes of Pokemon, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

I don't know if that would be that beneficial for the franchise... as it's now owned by sega and we know damn well they don't treat their biggest money makers kindly (just looks a sonic)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@recloud: i'm not talking about Persona 5, I am talking about Persona 3 & 4, I am saying that while many could have considered such games niche because of their sales, I think it's inability to achieve the success of Persona 5 with Persona 3 &4 was because they released on PS2 as things were slowing down on that end, then followed up with PSP and Vita releases which I am sure we're great foe the sysyems but did little to help exposure of the series, I am sure if Persona 5 released just on PS3 in 2017 people would still consider it niche

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rafaelmsoares

@goldenelementxl said:

Persona 5 launched in Sept. of 2016 in Japan and April of 2017 WW, on 2 platforms and it has sold 2.2 million to date. There are over 150 million PS3 and PS4 consoles out there. That sure sounds niche to me...

Lets be clear about what niche means, because it seems like some folks are confused.

adjective

1. denoting or relating to products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population.

Who implied it's not niche, tho?

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ReCloud

@lamprey263: maybe, I don't know, the game is way too Japanese though and I love it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jag85
@goldenelementxl said:

adjective

Where do you draw the line between what's niche and what's mainstream? Even a game that sells 10 million copies could be considered niche, since that's still a relatively small, specialized section of the population.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

So a franchise that was 6 million strong prior to P5 coming out is "niche"?

A game that sells 2 million is niche?

amazing.

Another attempt to say "buh buh SP is more important than Phil Spencer makes out, please pay attention to it!" ... and then claiming a multi million seller is niche.

Cool Story.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ReCloud

@kali-b1rd: persona always sold little games, yes it is niche, whether you like it or not.

Extremely Japanese with date sim elements, turn based battle is way niche, I'm sorry if it sells more than your beloved M$ games and if it's kicking Phil's ass.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

@recloud said:

@kali-b1rd: persona always sold little games, yes it is niche, whether you like it or not.

The friggin P4 Golden sold 1.14 million on the friggin VITA of all things for gods sake, the original PS2 sold 800k (at least).

Not to mention the franchise has successful dance spin offs and a 2 fighting games.

What is your source on niche, how are you quantifying it? Please remember, definitions pulled from ones rectum are not valid.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ReCloud

@kali-b1rd: oh please sweetie, is not only about sales, is about the game itself.

Are you meaning to say a jrpg turn based game with sim elements is not niche, in 2018, in a world where most devs moved away from turn based system? Lol @ delusional Lem. Sorry bud, your flagships flop more than niche titles.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

A niche title is one that is based on demographics, not based on sales.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts
@drlostrib said:
@recloud said:

Sold like shit. Still hasn't broken a million yet.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rafaelmsoares

@kali-b1rd said:
@recloud said:

The friggin P4 Golden sold 1.14 million on the friggin VITA of all things for gods sake, the original PS2 sold 800k (at least).

Not to mention the franchise has successful dance spin offs and a 2 fighting games.

What is your source on niche, how are you quantifying it? Please remember, definitions pulled from ones rectum are not valid.

You can't quantify how niche something is, it's about what the general public likes... and turn-based japanese RPGs with dating sims elements are not among the GP likes by any stretch of the imagination and has not been for the last decade and a half. It could've sold 25 million copies, it would still be a very successful niche game.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DrLostRib
@quadknight said:
@drlostrib said:
@recloud said:

Sold like shit. Still hasn't broken a million yet.

where are the sales figures?