Persona 5 not being on Switch proves there is incompetence at Sega(or Atlus)

Avatar image for Juub1990
Juub1990

9920

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 9920 Posts

Which shouldn't be surprising, really.

Why isn't this game on Switch when it's the perfect candidate? It has everything that would make it an amazing Switch port. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if it outsold the PS4 version.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

3467

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 3467 Posts

Persona 5 has been port-begged to hell and back. I agree it would be a perfect candidate for the Switch, but business among these companies are a lot more complicated than just releasing games that look compatible on certain consoles.

Xenoblade Chronicles is almost here. If you haven't played it, it's a truly fantastic JRPG. I know it will more than satisfy that JRPG itch.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

14741

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 216

User Lists: 0

#3 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14741 Posts

A Switch port would be a no-brainer. Especially for the Japanese market. The vast majority of Persona 5 sales (not including Royal) came from overseas, with Japan accounting for less than 20% (just over 580,000) of the game's worldwide sales (3.2 million). A Switch port would boost Japan sales considerably, since the Switch is more popular than the PS4 in Japan.

However, it's likely that Persona probably has some kind of exclusivity deal between Sony and Sega, so that PlayStation has exclusive rights to the Persona franchise. If Sony are paying Sega for the exclusivity, then that's just business as usual.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

3467

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 3467 Posts

@Jag85: Funny thought, but I feel like Nintendo has done a better job promoting the game than Sony, thanks to its inclusion in the Super Smash Bros. series. If it came out on the Switch, something tells me it would sell exceptionally well in the west.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

26525

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 26525 Posts

Japan is weird. For example, other Shin Megami games come on Nintendo platforms but not Sony.

Avatar image for ajerbijan
Ajerbijan

1

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 Ajerbijan
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

@Jag85 said:

However, it's likely that Persona probably has some kind of exclusivity deal between Sony and Sega, so that PlayStation has exclusive rights to the Persona franchise. If Sony are paying Sega for the exclusivity, then that's just business as usual.

There isn't...I've searched high and low ever since 2017 when Persona 5 came out and there's zero evidence of any kind of exclusivity deal or rights. Switch technically just came out when Persona 5 was released and Xbox had too small of an install base to justify porting it.

Now that the Switch is outpacing both the PS4/Xbox a port is inevitble. Most likely the game will hit Game Pass eventually just like Yakuza did. Even now Yakuza (another franchise) exclusivity is pretty much out the door with Like a Dragon releasing day and day on Xbox and Playstation, not even a timed exclusivity deal.

Playstations third party hand outs are drying up.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
nintendoboy16

37442

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 37442 Posts

Eh... I'd hardly call it incompetence. Like Jag said, Atlus probably has a huge investment from Sony on the IP.

That and many non-Pokemon JRPG's tend to be preferred on PlayStation, even if there is a Nintendo version.

Avatar image for lamprey263
lamprey263

36934

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36934 Posts

The game was under development before Sega acquired Atlus. I have heard it said that Sony locks down exclusivity through marketing arrangements, so they might not be able to even if they wanted to. If so, that might explain why Atlus has never bothered porting these games outside of the PlayStation hardware. The license is fair game, hence why spin-offs like P4: Arena or Persona Q have released on other systems, but hardly a substitute.

Interesting though, there's some good videos on YouTube of the history of the Shin Megami Tensei games and spin-offs and Atlus trying new things out trying to find a game with wider market appeal. They finally found it with Persona but failed to grow from that. Part of its failure might be the very Japanese-centric target audience of releasing games on handheld hardware, but not being a viable medium worldwide. Persona 3 and 4 released worldwide on PS2 after PS3 released, and they never kept it relevant to 7th gen hardware with a re-release on PS3, only much later adding it to their PS2 classics digital BC catalog, but mostly just focusing on Persona 3 and 4 ports on Sony handhelds.

These are all great games but their release planning and strategy is some of the worse. The success they enjoyed with Persona 5 is the success they could have enjoyed years earlier had they released these on more relevant hardware. They even had an opportunity during 7th gen while they developed Catherine instead, a good game no doubt, but such a wasted potential to capitalize on 7th gen consoles starved for JRPGs, especially while Square Enix was dragging its feet on FFXIII, and people had to settle for those generic Tales games.

Maybe Sega's involvement might complicate things, but the failure to capitalize of previous Persona entries the way Persona 5 did largely falls on Atlus's mismanagement of the series over the many years before Sega acquired them. Who knows if Sega will do right by the series. They apparently thought Bayonetta and Vanquish weren't worth investing any more of their own money into.

Avatar image for Willy105
Willy105

25344

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#9 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 25344 Posts

Joker should never have been in Smash.

Avatar image for adsparky
adsparky

1753

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 1753 Posts

There is a reason behind that, that we'll maybe never know, but it is not as if Atlus have ignored Nintendo, and no, it wouldn't outsell the PS4 version, it has been proved that a late port particularly a JRPG, won't outsell the original one, even Dragon Quest XI that get the definitive edition haven't sold 1 million copies worldwide, and it almost sold that just in its first week for the PS4 in Japan only.

Avatar image for DocSanchez
DocSanchez

5491

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5491 Posts

Quit begging and get a system that isn't last gen tech.

Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4077

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#12 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4077 Posts

Shin Megami Tensei is a much better series tho.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

14741

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 216

User Lists: 0

#13 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14741 Posts

@jaydan said:

@Jag85: Funny thought, but I feel like Nintendo has done a better job promoting the game than Sony, thanks to its inclusion in the Super Smash Bros. series. If it came out on the Switch, something tells me it would sell exceptionally well in the west.

For sure. Switch games sell great in both the West and Japan. Whereas PS4 games sell great in the West but not-so-great in Japan. Even FFXV, which has sold nearly 9 million worldwide, barely managed 1 million in Japan, which accounted for under 20% of the game's sales (like with Persona 5). To pull big sales numbers in Japan, a game needs to be on the Switch.

@lamprey263 said:

The game was under development before Sega acquired Atlus. I have heard it said that Sony locks down exclusivity through marketing arrangements, so they might not be able to even if they wanted to. If so, that might explain why Atlus has never bothered porting these games outside of the PlayStation hardware. The license is fair game, hence why spin-offs like P4: Arena or Persona Q have released on other systems, but hardly a substitute.

Interesting though, there's some good videos on YouTube of the history of the Shin Megami Tensei games and spin-offs and Atlus trying new things out trying to find a game with wider market appeal. They finally found it with Persona but failed to grow from that. Part of its failure might be the very Japanese-centric target audience of releasing games on handheld hardware, but not being a viable medium worldwide. Persona 3 and 4 released worldwide on PS2 after PS3 released, and they never kept it relevant to 7th gen hardware with a re-release on PS3, only much later adding it to their PS2 classics digital BC catalog, but mostly just focusing on Persona 3 and 4 ports on Sony handhelds.

These are all great games but their release planning and strategy is some of the worse. The success they enjoyed with Persona 5 is the success they could have enjoyed years earlier had they released these on more relevant hardware. They even had an opportunity during 7th gen while they developed Catherine instead, a good game no doubt, but such a wasted potential to capitalize on 7th gen consoles starved for JRPGs, especially while Square Enix was dragging its feet on FFXIII, and people had to settle for those generic Tales games.

Maybe Sega's involvement might complicate things, but the failure to capitalize of previous Persona entries the way Persona 5 did largely falls on Atlus's mismanagement of the series over the many years before Sega acquired them. Who knows if Sega will do right by the series. They apparently thought Bayonetta and Vanquish weren't worth investing any more of their own money into.

The Nintendo Switch has proven itself to be a great middle-ground between the handheld-centric Japanese market and the console-centric Western market. The Switch caters to both markets just as well. Which is why a Switch release would make a lot of sense.

If anything, Sega's involvement played a significant role in Persona 5 selling as much as it did. Before the Sega buyout, Persona was a niche franchise. But after the Sega buyout, Persona became one of the biggest JRPG franchises, pulling millions of sales worldwide. Sega deserves credit for the massive success of Persona 5.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

30759

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30759 Posts

Well whether it be incompetence or a deal with Sony, it’s unfortunate because I’d love to buy this game on the Switch.

Avatar image for iambatman7986
iambatman7986

3098

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#15 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3098 Posts

@briguyb13 said:

Shin Megami Tensei is a much better series tho.

This

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

16799

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#16 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 16799 Posts

Do you think Sony somehow money hatted it perhaps?

I mean if either MS/Sony/Nintendo aren't putting cash into it then it makes no sense for any third party game to not reach all platforms.

Not that I care (I do love rpg's) as playing a game with school children is more than a little bit weird.

Avatar image for nintendoboy16
nintendoboy16

37442

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 14

#17 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 37442 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

Quit begging and get a system that isn't last gen tech.

This reads less like begging, more like "why isn't this on X" in a curious way. I sure as hell don't care if it's on the Switch or not (Dragon Quest XI, Skyrim, and Witcher are filling my RPG needs right now, maybe Pokemon down the line as well).

Avatar image for Planeforger
Planeforger

18339

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18339 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

Quit begging and get a system that isn't last gen tech.

To be fair, Persona 5 is a PS3/PS4 multiplat. It's a last-gen game that would easily run on the Switch.

Avatar image for ellos
ellos

2303

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2303 Posts

They had there shot, either sony money hatted this or they don't like money. At this point the ship has sailed. People will have to triple dip on the switch. Unless nintendo can guarantee pokemon like sales these games don't sell as much as they should.

Avatar image for Dark_sageX
Dark_sageX

3472

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 236

User Lists: 0

#20 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3472 Posts

Exclusivity all together is stupid and not beneficial to gamers, yet there are gamers out there who support it anyway, smh.

Avatar image for DocSanchez
DocSanchez

5491

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#21 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5491 Posts

@Planeforger said:
@DocSanchez said:

Quit begging and get a system that isn't last gen tech.

To be fair, Persona 5 is a PS3/PS4 multiplat. It's a last-gen game that would easily run on the Switch.

Fair point.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

14741

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 216

User Lists: 0

#22 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14741 Posts
@ellos said:

They had there shot, either sony money hatted this or they don't like money. At this point the ship has sailed. People will have to triple dip on the switch. Unless nintendo can guarantee pokemon like sales these games don't sell as much as they should.

Why compare to Pokemon though? That's the biggest franchise on Earth. A game doesn't need to pull Pokemon-like numbers to be a success.

Persona 4 barely sold 1 million, yet its sequel Persona 5 is now almost approaching 4 million. A Switch port should push it past 5 million. Especially after Joker appeared in Smash, introducing the franchise to a large base of Smash players.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

56027

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 56027 Posts

Yeah, no idea what backroom dealings took place, but the Switch would be perfect for P5, or even P5R. It's a shame, as i'm sure a number of people who lean toward Ninty would love to play this game, as it's incredibly solid.

Avatar image for ellos
ellos

2303

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2303 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@ellos said:

They had there shot, either sony money hatted this or they don't like money. At this point the ship has sailed. People will have to triple dip on the switch. Unless nintendo can guarantee pokemon like sales these games don't sell as much as they should.

Why compare to Pokemon though? That's the biggest franchise on Earth. A game doesn't need to pull Pokemon-like numbers to be a success.

Persona 4 barely sold 1 million, yet its sequel Persona 5 is now almost approaching 4 million. A Switch port should push it past 5 million. Especially after Joker appeared in Smash, introducing the franchise to a large base of Smash players.

You misunderstood me I'm not comparing with Pokemon. I'm saying at this point it will take pokemon like sales guarantee for them to jump in. I'm pointing that out as an unrealistic insensitive.