People who say motion sensing is a gimmick

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

Do i think motion sensing is a gimmick? No.

Do I think the Wii is a gimmick? Yes.

I've stated this before, got alot of angry sheep posts, but the only thing the Wii mote does is replace several other game specific controllers. I've done everything in Wii sports and Zelda in other games before. I might have had to buy the game with a light gun, or a steering wheel or a mini fishing rod controller, but all of those provided similar if not superior experiences. The Wii mote is absolutely unecessary for Zelda, it doesn't matter which way you swing it, Link slashed the same way. Overhand strikes and stabs are a result of holding a trigger or pushing the analog stick on the nunchuck. Aiming is clumsier than with an analog stick, and fishing really isn't that engaging.

Those As Seen On TV stores have been selling "Realistic" baseball, golf, fishing, etc games with motion sensing controls for years. At like 29.99 a pop, cheaper than a Wii game. The graphics are deplorable, and even though Sheep say that doesnt matter, those didn't exactly fly off the shelves. Nintendo just took those ideas and combined them into one console. There is no hardware inside the Wii that is specifically needed for motion sensing. It's all handled in the remote and transfered to the system wirelessly and interpreted the same as and analog stick would.

Because of this, MS and Sony could release a Wii mote tomorrow if they wanted. they just throw a gyro and a small chip in the exsisting controllers. The only catch is, for MS and Sony, only some of the developers would incorperate it into games, because only some people would buy it.

The demos of people using it to play Half Life 2 on the PC shows it's only the controller, the console isn't necessary. It could have been an accessory for the gamecube, but with Sony and MS launching brand new consoles, that wouldn't have worked. Then the wii mote would have died with the gamecube.

If the Wii becomes the dominant console this gen, or motion sensing gets incorperated into every game next gen, then the wii mote is not a gimmick. I just don't see that happening tho. They had motion sensing and tilt sensing controllers for years on the PC, no body bought them, most people didn't even know about them. The Wii is successful because of brilliant marketing on Nintendo's part, not because of some revolutionary design or technology or even the games.

I have one, because I am a gamer, and I like Mario and Zelda and all the Nintendo franchises, but it is the "toy" that sits next to my serious game consoles.

^^ to the poster above me, the sixaxis sucks and is even more of a gimmick than the Wiimote.

michaelareb0001

The thing about Wii is that it makes the motion sensing controller STANDARD, this is something Microsoft and Sony (sixaxis is a sad excuse for motion sensing control) cannot do.  This is also why the controllers didn't take off with the PC, there is no reason to buy a motion sensing controller when a joystick would do just fine.  The fact that Nintendo made this their defacto contoller (and the fact that the graphic capabilities of the system are no longer the selling point) forces developers to use the abilities present instead of putting a half-assed control feature for a niche market within a niche market of PC flight simulators.

Also the design of the controller allows for much more precise control than others like it before.  I'm not talking about the strength of the accelerometers, I'm talking about the fact that it frees both hands to move in seperate directions to control multiple aspects of a game (in addition to the fact that they have the two previous generational standards of control built in with the analog stick and direction pad). 

And remember, it's still early.  Developers are new to this technology, so around the time the big names start to master the capabilities of the cell or 360's 3 chip system we will start to see the real innovations in the controller department.  I personally love Zelda with the new controls after fighting with it for through the first dungeon, and while it may have been a GC title with a new control setup added on it proved two very important things right out of the gate. 1) Traditional games (specifically adventure) are possible on the Wii and 2) you can play a game on the Wii in a traditional manner and still have it work (i.e. not standing up and flailing your arms about).  And I don't know a single person who can experience the quick, precise aiming the pointer allows and honestly say they prefer the clunky analog stick aiming of old.
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
I think motion sensing is cool, but not needed. Your probably right about all next-gen consoles having motion sensing, I just hope we dont sacrifice rumble for that and maybe have a way to turn motion sensing off and on via the controller and/or system settings.
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

^^ yeah I understand, but seriously how is the controller shaking when I hit something that different from me swinging my arm to trigger a pre defined animation. It's addition to the gameplay is minimal. Maybe fun, but not something thats necessary for every game, and that's what fanboys want you to believe. Motion sensing= better gameplay.

At it's core, the only true innovations in gaming have come from the games themselves, regardless of hardware. If consoles and PCs are going to blur in the coming years, then the lowest common denomiator with prevail. Keyboard and mouse lack feedback, motion sensing and are still the prefered input devices in FPS's and RTS's. Inputting any sort of text with the Wiimote is a serious chore.

It's just to support my point, it's not about the controller or even the platform, it's anout the games. If a console blew air in my face when playing a flight simulator or standing in a field in Hyrule, it wouldn't change a damn thing.

michaelareb0001

You will eat those words when Metroid is released.  I've played the demo at E3, and while I know it wasn't perfect then I know people who can attest that FPS fans will drool when they see the final result (which I assume is even more refined then the last demo they had in september). 

You're right about the software being the source of true innovation, but this new hardware opens up so many new doors to existing types of gaming and may even create new ones that weren't possible before.

Think about it. You have the pointing ability of a mouse with the same 2 or so button interface, and directional ability in your other hand... and you still have 3dimensional movement in both hands left over (and rumble for a more tactile gaming experience).  That's a more complex game controller than either the keyboard mouse or control pad no matter how many ways you slice it. (typing excluded, but its still better than the control pad in this department)
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
[QUOTE="michaelareb0001"]

^^ yeah I understand, but seriously how is the controller shaking when I hit something that different from me swinging my arm to trigger a pre defined animation. It's addition to the gameplay is minimal. Maybe fun, but not something thats necessary for every game, and that's what fanboys want you to believe. Motion sensing= better gameplay.

At it's core, the only true innovations in gaming have come from the games themselves, regardless of hardware. If consoles and PCs are going to blur in the coming years, then the lowest common denomiator with prevail. Keyboard and mouse lack feedback, motion sensing and are still the prefered input devices in FPS's and RTS's. Inputting any sort of text with the Wiimote is a serious chore.

It's just to support my point, it's not about the controller or even the platform, it's anout the games. If a console blew air in my face when playing a flight simulator or standing in a field in Hyrule, it wouldn't change a damn thing.

TacoJelly

You will eat those words when Metroid is released. I've played the demo at E3, and while I know it wasn't perfect then I know people who can attest that FPS fans will drool when they see the final result (which I assume is even more refined then the last demo they had in september).

You're right about the software being the source of true innovation, but this new hardware opens up so many new doors to existing types of gaming and may even create new ones that weren't possible before.

Think about it. You have the pointing ability of a mouse with the same 2 or so button interface, and directional ability in your other hand... and you still have 3dimensional movement in both hands left over (and rumble for a more tactile gaming experience). That's a more complex game controller than either the keyboard mouse or control pad no matter how many ways you slice it. (typing excluded, but its still better than the control pad in this department)

I'm warry to hype an FPS after what happened to Red Steel, but I doubt Nintendo would mess up one of their main IPs
mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

[QUOTE="Pangster007"][QUOTE="-Spock-"]I'm all for it. Actual player interaction is the next step towards VR and total immersion. So long as all the next-gen consoles still advance in graphics too, I would see it as a good thing in bringing more reality to games.-Spock-
I agree. I haven't been this excited in gaming for a long time. Next generation is when things will really shine. High definiton detail with motion sensing immersion is the way to go.

Even though Nintendo say their next console will output in HD, i'm still a little worried. They've only mentioned HD support, but not anything about the actual graphics. I don't want to play Pong in HD. :?

I love how people act like the wii has Pong style graphics. Open your eyes weirdo.

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
Nintendo always makes the prototypes, then the "other guys" copy/redesign and all is well.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
Thus far, it is a gimmick. And i say that as a Wii owner. Ask anyone who likes the system why they like it, and they say the way you control it. Never the games. It really hit home when a friend of mine who's as casual as they come said "that's neat, but it'd get old after a while." Right now there are no games on the Wii for gamers which actually take advantage of the controls. The only "real" game is a port of Zelda. Everything else is cheap fun to get a kick out of the wii mote.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

At it's core, the only true innovations in gaming have come from the games themselves, regardless of hardware.

michaelareb0001
That is not necessarily true. People are using and are wanting too see the "I do not play games because of the controller" to much. In my opinion its just another excuse people use to bash the Wii. Originally invented by Mark Rein and we all know why. And it is simply not true, why? Because every major leap in console gaming was done at a time when a new for of playing games was presented. To put it simple, when N64 came out, if you were to ask me why at the time I preffered the form of controls for SM64 then any game at that time for PS1, I would instantly say the truth. Because of the controller and the analog that came with it! That later and even today is used for gaming.
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#59 jdknight21
Member since 2006 • 3282 Posts
Please don't call rumble a gimmick.  It can be very immersive and touch is the strongest sense for some.  I actually find myself appreciating the use of rumble in most games.