people being pulled off PS3 projects to work on Wii but its not core titles

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
IGN NVC podcast tidbits - publishers closely watching sales of core third party games, SD card storage fix coming, more buzz for Retro title, more dark games coming to Wii, hints at major I.P.s, reconfirmation of ExciteTruck dev working on a new Wii title January 26th, 2009

- No word on any publisher interest for Winter since petition
- Conduit sales are very important to not just SEGA, but other publishers in general
- other companies are looking to sales of de Blob and Deadly Creatures to see how they will approach the Wii in the future
- Nintendo should be announcing their SD card fix will come towards the end of March. Will arrive via a download, and is due to fix storage space issues.
- Gas Powered Games 'God Game' is MIA…no idea where the project stands right now
- U.S. release date should be coming for Fatal Frame IV (opinion)
- Retro has filled their art and game director positions from within, and a former Midway employee has become their Technical Director
- Retro's new project 'is going to be rad, epic, and cool' according to Matt
- still nothing official for a new Golden Sun, but the team behind the series still wants to make a new entry
- Retro has handled the Prime 1 and 2 'New Play Control' titles
- people being pulled off PS3 projects to work on Wii, but it's not the Wii titles core gamers want
- more dark games coming to Wii, possibly announced as early as April
- major I.P.s coming from publishers, check out Matt's top 10 games list for some hints
- still no word from Factor 5
- Conduit's biggest hurdle to overcome is their artists…the tech is better than their artists
- Developer of ExciteTruck (Monster Games) is working on another game, (SPECULATION) may be be another ExciteTruck, WaveRace, ExciteBike, or some type of racing game

I don't know what to think of this. There are many titles I have enjoied that so called core gamers don't like. I already know what some of the haters are going to say and part of me understands why they would say it.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

TEH CASUALS

But seriously, that sounds good IMO. I hope to see more devs jump on board to the Wii.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Terrific. Can't say I blame them, but as a core gamer, that kinda sucks for me. I can at least hope its people pulled from Lair like PS3 projects and put onto Wii projects like World of Goo....
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SpruceCaboose

TEH CASUALS

But seriously, that sounds good IMO. I hope to see more devs jump on board to the Wii.

Lionheart08
I would be all for it if it were games aimed at core gamers, since that is the area the Wii is most lacking.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

TEH CASUALS

SpruceCaboose
I would be all for it if it were games aimed at core gamers, since that is the area the Wii is most lacking.

Core games is such a subjective term though. If it's titles like DeBlob, I have no serious beef.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

Terrific. Can't say I blame them, but as a core gamer, that kinda sucks for me. I can at least hope its people pulled from Lair like PS3 projects and put onto Wii projects like World of Goo....SpruceCaboose

World of Goo was a multiplatform project not just a Wii project.

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 jharv
Member since 2007 • 1774 Posts
It's where the money is at. And during times like these can't say I blame them.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jade_Monkey

It's where the money is at. And during times like these can't say I blame them.jharv

yeah cause Wii third party games are known for being epic sellers....... The only thing they have going for them compared to PC/PS3/360 games are lower costs to make.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Terrific. Can't say I blame them, but as a core gamer, that kinda sucks for me. I can at least hope its people pulled from Lair like PS3 projects and put onto Wii projects like World of Goo....Jade_Monkey

yeah, but stuff like that might be a change since WoG is one of Wii's most downloaded games, and WoG on the PC has a 90% piracey rate. :(

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Terrific. Can't say I blame them, but as a core gamer, that kinda sucks for me. I can at least hope its people pulled from Lair like PS3 projects and put onto Wii projects like World of Goo....Jade_Monkey

cool all games will be wii pc great because that what i have
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SpruceCaboose

And? I was using the quality of the title to convey a point.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Terrific. Can't say I blame them, but as a core gamer, that kinda sucks for me. I can at least hope its people pulled from Lair like PS3 projects and put onto Wii projects like World of Goo....surrealnumber5

Not all games, I would love to see Metroid come to PC but I knw it aint going to happen. Just like Wii will never see Crysis.

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jharv

[QUOTE="jharv"]It's where the money is at. And during times like these can't say I blame them.Jade_Monkey

yeah cause Wii third party games are known for being epic sellers....... The only thing they have going for them compared to PC/PS3/360 games are lower costs to make.

Shaun White, Tiger Woods 09, No More Heroes, Zak and Wiki, Star Wars TFU (Sold more than PS3), Guitar Hero, not to mention Wiiware games. Now be gone.

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Terrific. Can't say I blame them, but as a core gamer, that kinda sucks for me. I can at least hope its people pulled from Lair like PS3 projects and put onto Wii projects like World of Goo....SpruceCaboose

And? I was using the quality of the title to convey a point.

You called it a Wii project ignoring the fact it was available on PC. I was just pointing out that it could be bought and played on PC as well as Wii.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

and world of good >>>>>> lair
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

Jade_Monkey

Not all games, I would love to see Metroid come to PC but I knw it aint going to happen. Just like Wii will never see Crysis.

as long as its one, the other or both i am happy braid 2 here i come
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="jharv"]It's where the money is at. And during times like these can't say I blame them.jharv

Shaun White, Tiger Woods 09, No More Heroes, Zak and Wiki not to mention Wiiware games. Now be gone.

theres a lot of high selling games on the wii. hell that lame star wars game, the one with Darth Vader apprentice recently sold 1 million.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
It's where the money is at. And during times like these can't say I blame them.jharv
I wonder what this is going to say for the PS3 2010 lineup. Before any ask companies are not going to pull many projects that are already half way done. Using the PSP has a model it makes me fear what may happen to the PS3 if it says third. Well it become a GC? We will not know though for some time to come.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpruceCaboose

You called it a Wii project ignoring the fact it was available on PC. I was just pointing out that it could be bought and played on PC as well as Wii.

Jade_Monkey
It was a Wii project. It was coded for a Wii as well as a PC, making it both a PC and a Wii project, thus validating what I said. There was no error on my part.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jharv
[QUOTE="jharv"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

Rahnyc4

Shaun White, Tiger Woods 09, No More Heroes, Zak and Wiki not to mention Wiiware games. Now be gone.

theres a lot of high selling games on the wii. hell that lame star wars game, the one with Darth Vader apprentice recently sold 1 million.

Yeah I added it there. The guy was just trolling. Guitar Hero also sold more on Wii than any other platform.

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="jharv"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

Rahnyc4

Wow, the Wii has 5 good selling third party games ? Well I guess I was so wrong in every way. 5 good selling games out of 29 pages of Wii games on this site. I don't count Wiiware games. If you can't put out a new game that sells but need to rerelease old stuff to sell then I consider that fail.

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jharv
[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"][QUOTE="jharv"] Shaun White, Tiger Woods 09, No More Heroes, Zak and Wiki not to mention Wiiware games. Now be gone.Jade_Monkey

Wow, the Wii has 5 good selling third party games ? Well I guess I was so wrong in every way. 5 good selling games out of 29 pages of Wii games on this site. I don't count Wiiware games. If you can't put out a new game that sells but need to rerelease old stuff to sell then I consider that fail.

Fail on so many levels almost sig worthy.

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jade_Monkey

jharv

Why ? If a company can't put out good new titles for gamers but rely on rereleasing older games that were good then how is that not fail on therir part ?

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jharv
[QUOTE="jharv"]

Jade_Monkey

Why ? If a company can't put out good new titles for gamers but rely on rereleasing older games that were good then how is that not fail on therir part ?

It's funny cause you have no idea what Wiiware is.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SpruceCaboose

Jade_Monkey
Using the admittedly poor VGChartz, the Wii has 25 retail 3rd party games with 1 million or more in sales. That is not all that bad, actually. More than the PS3 has, about half what the 360 has.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="jharv"]

Jade_Monkey

Wiiware are original games. You are thinking of the Wii's Virtual Console games. The VC and WiiWare are two different things.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"][QUOTE="jharv"]

SpruceCaboose

Wiiware are original games. You are thinking of the Wii's Virtual Console games. The VC and WiiWare are two different things.

So Wiiware would be the equivilent of XBL ?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#29 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

Jade_Monkey

Yes.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SpruceCaboose

Jade_Monkey
XBL is more akin to WiiWare and the VC together, since XBL has both new and retro games on it. But more or less, yes.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
Which projects are they being pulled off of? What developers specifically? Where did they get their sources?
opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts

Shaun White, Tiger Woods 09, No More Heroes, Zak and Wiki, Star Wars TFU (Sold more than PS3), Guitar Hero, not to mention Wiiware games. Now be gone.

jharv

most of those games only reached around 500k in sales the only one that reached a million was star wars, while good sales that's not really enough to make them stand out sales wise.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SpruceCaboose
Which projects are they being pulled off of? What developers specifically? Where did they get their sources?TheGrat1
Click the links and find out.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]Terrific. Can't say I blame them, but as a core gamer, that kinda sucks for me. I can at least hope its people pulled from Lair like PS3 projects and put onto Wii projects like World of Goo....goblaa

yeah, but stuff like that might be a change since WoG is one of Wii's most downloaded games, and WoG on the PC has a 90% piracey rate. :(

they might be 82% piracy rate, but this still doesn't change the fact that PC World of Goo is giving them half of all their revenues.

An without PC as games platform World of Goo would never be created to begin with. Remember..this is PC game, they've decided to bring it to Wii only when it was bassicaly almost done on PC

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="jharv"]

opex07

most of those games only reached around 500k in sales the only one that reached a million was star wars, while good sales that's not really enough to make them stand out sales wise.

A game selling a million units puts it in the upper echelons. Most games fall well below a million units.
opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 opex07
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] A game selling a million units puts it in the upper echelons. Most games fall well below a million units.

I'm aware of that and that is why games that sale a million or so stand out while those games would be more commonplace.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jharv
[QUOTE="jharv"]

opex07

Shaun White 840, 000, Tiger woods 750, 000, Zak and Wiki 540, 000 (Which I find to be really good for a IP with NO hype), Star Wars over a million and Guitar hero best sold on Wii platform. Only Zack and wiki was around 500k.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jade_Monkey

Shaun White 840, 000, Tiger woods 750, 000, Zak and Wiki 540, 000 (Which I find to be really good for a IP with NO hype), Star Wars over a million and Guitar hero best sold on Wii platform. Only Zack and wiki was around 500k.jharv

He was right in saying only one of them reached 1 million.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]Which projects are they being pulled off of? What developers specifically? Where did they get their sources?SpruceCaboose

Clicked the link and it was basically the exact same thing the TC posted. I dont want to have to download the podcast so if anyone could expand on these claims it would be greatly appreciated. Seeing as it is coming from a pro-nintendo site i'm taking this with a grain of salt.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="jharv"] Shaun White 840, 000, Tiger woods 750, 000, Zak and Wiki 540, 000 (Which I find to be really good for a IP with NO hype), Star Wars over a million and Guitar hero best sold on Wii platform. Only Zack and wiki was around 500k.Jade_Monkey

And he missed the other 24. Point is, the Wii's 3rd party sales are not nearly as bad as the haters try to portray. In fact, 3rd party sales seem more healthy on the "casual" Wii than on the "core" PS3. I am not saying its any better or worse, but the reality is the Wii moves software, and even software that does not have Nintendo as developer or publisher.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="TheGrat1"]Which projects are they being pulled off of? What developers specifically? Where did they get their sources?TheGrat1

Clicked the link and it was basically the exact same thing the TC posted. I didnt want to download the podcast so if anyone could expand on these claims it would be greatly appreciated. Seeing as it is coming from a por-nintendo site i'm taking this with a grain of salt.

It came from IGN originally. As for their sources at IGN, I am not about to listen to a podcast, so good luck with that.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jharv

[QUOTE="jharv"] Shaun White 840, 000, Tiger woods 750, 000, Zak and Wiki 540, 000 (Which I find to be really good for a IP with NO hype), Star Wars over a million and Guitar hero best sold on Wii platform. Only Zack and wiki was around 500k.Jade_Monkey

You are missing the point. You stated third parties don't sell well on the Wii. 3/4 of the multi-platforms on the list the Wii sold the most of (Shaun White, Tiger Woods, Guitar Hero). The other one the Wii sold more than the PS3 version (Star Wars forced unleashed). Zack and Wiki sold exceptionally well for a IP with no hype.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jade_Monkey
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="jharv"] Shaun White 840, 000, Tiger woods 750, 000, Zak and Wiki 540, 000 (Which I find to be really good for a IP with NO hype), Star Wars over a million and Guitar hero best sold on Wii platform. Only Zack and wiki was around 500k.jharv

You are missing the point. You stated third parties don't sell well on the Wii. 3/4 of the multi-platforms on the list the Wii sold the most of (Shaun White, Tiger Woods, Guitar Hero). The other one the Wii sold more than the PS3 version (Star Wars forced unleashed). Zack and Wiki sold exceptionally well for a IP with no hype.

What do you consider good ? 500000 ? How many 3rd party Wii games out of the 29 pages here on gamespot sold more than 500000 ? I don't care if a game had no hype, that was someones choise who is not me so I give them no breaks for it.

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 opex07
[QUOTE="opex07"][QUOTE="jharv"]

jharv

Shaun White 840, 000, Tiger woods 750, 000, Zak and Wiki 540, 000 (Which I find to be really good for a IP with NO hype), Star Wars over a million and Guitar hero best sold on Wii platform. Only Zack and wiki was around 500k.

no more heroes was like 300k something, zack and wiki was well below 500k as well selling only 35k in the states, and tiger isn't to far off from 500k so I just went with that number.

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jade_Monkey

For being someone who "Sits at the adult table." You spell like a 14 year old.

jharv

Real nice of you to make fun of my disability. Feel better ?

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jharv
[QUOTE="jharv"][QUOTE="opex07"]

opex07

no more heroes was like 300k something, zack and wiki was well below 500k as well selling only 35k in the states, and tiger isn't to far off from 500k so I just went with that number.

Well obviously 300k isn't bad if they're coming out with a sequel. ;) Zack and Wiki sold well. Tiger Woods sold more on Wii than other platforms.

Polaris_choice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Polaris_choice
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="jharv"]It's where the money is at. And during times like these can't say I blame them.jharv

If i recall TFU unleashed actually sold better on PS3 and it should as the Wii version was garbage as are pretty much all there multiplats.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
[QUOTE="jharv"][QUOTE="opex07"]

opex07

That article is almost a year old.

zack and wiki is at 540K right now.

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jharv

No. Unless you got some other proof besides stating the Wii's version "garbage."

PS3's.