PC: Worth the upgrade or not? Is a next-gen console better for gaming now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
Is PC worth the upgrade to play the next generation games like Crysis or Enemy Territory etc? Or are you just best off buying a next gen console for your gaming needs?

It seems that many big name PC titles are heading over to consoles now so my personal opinion is that it isn't worth upgrading anymore since it's so expensive but you don't really get that many games since Spore is now not exclusive, also Enemy Territory and Crysis is probably next.

What do you guys think though? PC: Worth the upgrade or is a next gen console the right way to go?
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Personally I wouldn't upgrade for a little bit. Let DX10 get on its feet.
blurb1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 blurb1324
Member since 2004 • 4551 Posts
I think it depends on what you're upgrading, and how much you're spending. For me, it'd be entirely not worth it.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts
if u have the money, why not
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
wait untile Intel lowers its C2D prices, and then upgrade.
afroTunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 afroTunder
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts
the new alienware/Dells are hella freaking expensive! 6,000 to 10,000 are you kidding me????

so i guess NOP, and BTW with PS3 you get all that powerhouse with an accesible price Plus better exclusives and a Blu-Ray player
Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Tony_aaaa
Member since 2007 • 475 Posts
Is PC worth the upgrade to play the next generation games like Crysis or Enemy Territory etc? Or are you just best off buying a next gen console for your gaming needs?

It seems that many big name PC titles are heading over to consoles now so my personal opinion is that it isn't worth upgrading anymore since it's so expensive but you don't really get that many games since Spore is now not exclusive, also Enemy Territory and Crysis is probably next.

What do you guys think though? PC: Worth the upgrade or is a next gen console the right way to go?
the-very-best
Depends on what is your current PC. If all you need is a video card, just wait for a little price war when ATI's DX10 cards come out (I'm not touching the ATI vs Nvidia video card argument) Hopefully, by then, decent vista support will ease the upgrade hassle. If your PC is a dog.....buy a new box if you can afford it. For me, I'd upgrade, but then I use my PCs for tons of stuff, so it's a no-brainer.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cobrax25
the new Dells are hella freaking expensive! 6,000 to 10,000 are you kidding me???? so i guess NOP, and BTW with PS3 you get all that powerhouse with an accesible price Plus better exclusives and a Blu-Ray playerafroTunder
you dont buy dell if you want a gaming PC. and PCs have blue-ray players too.
afroTunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 afroTunder
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts
if u have the money, why notway2funny
alot of it and i mean with 5 month of hard work if not more ;)
Cycloptis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Cycloptis
Member since 2004 • 18249 Posts
...so my personal opinion is that it isn't worth upgrading anymore since it's so expensive but you don't really get that many games since Spore is now not exclusive, also Enemy Territory and Crysis is probably next.the-very-best

I always thought of GUFU members as less than ignorant. I thought wrong.
santeri_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 santeri_15
Member since 2005 • 522 Posts

Depends on the person.

I personally prefer PCs because they can be used for much more than just games, and PCs do get quite a lot of great exclusives.

The cost isn't a problem, you just have to know what to buy, and where to buy it.

Also, I wouldn't say that Spore is no longer an exclusive. There will be a DS version, but the DS is a handheld system, and is therefore very limited. Spore will be very different on PC.

Crysis on the other hand is still a question. There will likely be a console version of Crysis at some point, but whether or not it's going to be the same as the one on PC is uncertain. Since development of a console version hasn't even started yet, it wouldn't be seen on the consoles for a while anyway.

Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tony_aaaa
Member since 2007 • 475 Posts
[QUOTE="afroTunder"]the new Dells are hella freaking expensive! 6,000 to 10,000 are you kidding me???? so i guess NOP, and BTW with PS3 you get all that powerhouse with an accesible price Plus better exclusives and a Blu-Ray playercobrax25
you dont buy dell if you want a gaming PC. and PCs have blue-ray players too.

Agreed, since the takeover, alienware sells overpriced junk with a fancy paint job. Dell sells plain junk with "diverse" tech support. If you want a gaming rig, there are dozens of outfits that outclass dellienware
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]...so my personal opinion is that it isn't worth upgrading anymore since it's so expensive but you don't really get that many games since Spore is now not exclusive, also Enemy Territory and Crysis is probably next.Cycloptis

I always thought of GUFU members as less than ignorant. I thought wrong.

"My personal opinion".

PC gaming is not for me. And consoles have much more big name titles now as well.

Just to make it clear though: I don't care if you think I'm ignorant.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
It depends on your preferences.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cobrax25
Its definetly worth it. UT3 and Quake Wars may be multiplat, but its well known what system there designed for. Your not gonna get their full potential on Consoles. Not to mention many other PC exclusives coming out. If you can, build your own PC (not as hard as often made out to be) or buy from a site like CyberPowerPC, which is cheap yet good.
verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
To the TC: You're better off using your PC for other functions and using your consoles for gaming. There is no 100% chance guarantee that games will always work on your pc.
Nonam3gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Nonam3gamer
Member since 2005 • 880 Posts
Well really, when it comes to PC games that have come multiplat such as Quake Wars or UT3, it's really going to be much better on the PC then consoles.

I'm personally waiting until NVIDIA gets some competition in DX10 to lower prices and for the E6420 processor to come out before I build my new computer which should be a reality by about June. But hey, that's just me :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5c009341336cd
deactivated-5c009341336cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c009341336cd
Member since 2004 • 1855 Posts

u could get sumthin like a 8600ultra for 180$ and run dx10 at high wen it comes out, so its less expensive then all next gen consoles,

plus pc games pwn all

StonedCaO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StonedCaO
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
the new alienware/Dells are hella freaking expensive! 6,000 to 10,000 are you kidding me????

so i guess NOP, and BTW with PS3 you get all that powerhouse with an accesible price Plus better exclusives and a Blu-Ray playerafroTunder
Dells and Alienwares (or any pre-built PC for that matter...) are for people who don't know their way around PCs. For around 1200 you could build a PC that beats the PS3 into a pulp. All that with HD capabilities - computer monitors have been HD since CRTs. If you wanted HD on a console, you'd have to shell out for an expensive-as-hell HDTV. And in terms of graphics, last gen DX9 Cards (nVidia's 7 Series and ATi's x19XX cards) already outclassed the PS3's graphics capabilities. With mainstream DX10 cards (like nVidia's 8600 ultra) around the corner, a mid-range PC can make the PS3 look like a plaything. If you had the money for an ultra-high end video card like ATi's upcoming R600 or nVidia's 8800GTX, you'd never want to look at console graphics again (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating, but there is THAT much difference). So go PC. It's more or less the future of gaming. Keyboard and mouse FTW!
primetime2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 primetime2121
Member since 2004 • 3953 Posts
[QUOTE="afroTunder"]the new alienware/Dells are hella freaking expensive! 6,000 to 10,000 are you kidding me????

so i guess NOP, and BTW with PS3 you get all that powerhouse with an accesible price Plus better exclusives and a Blu-Ray playerStonedCaO
Dells and Alienwares (or any pre-built PC for that matter...) are for people who don't know their way around PCs. For around 1200 you could build a PC that beats the PS3 into a pulp. All that with HD capabilities - computer monitors have been HD since CRTs. If you wanted HD on a console, you'd have to shell out for an expensive-as-hell HDTV. And in terms of graphics, last gen DX9 Cards (nVidia's 7 Series and ATi's x19XX cards) already outforbidden So go PC. It's more or less the future of gaming. Keyboard and mouse FTW!

made a new account just to type that propaganda ??
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I think there is a better question to ask and that is do you console people buy your console for the PC/Console games?
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

the-very-best

Tell me is it worth being ripped off €60 per game when one can buy games on PC that cost €25-€30?

PS: I live in Europe and dont care about USA/AUS/NZ/Canada....
AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AgentVX
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

I am a PC gamer first and foremost.

I would definately wait for upgrading your PC right now.

Get a console as it would do your gaming needs for the next while.  Wait until DX10 cards come down in price, wait for DX10 games start to really flood the market, and wait until at least service pack 1 comes out for Vista.

I have a moderately powered PC right now, and I am definately waiting a good year or so before I even think of making the DX10 jump.

But then again, that just my opinion.  People needs are different, so you might think otherwise.

StonedCaO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StonedCaO
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

made a new account just to type that propaganda ??

Nah, I've had this account for a while. Just new to the forums. And besides, it doesn't get any truer than that.
trix5817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trix5817
Member since 2004 • 12252 Posts

the-very-best

Do you get Supreme Commander? No. If that is all that came out this year, I would be happy. When consoles get an RTS anywhere near the quality and depth of PC RTS's, you let me know.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaddyDC650
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts

the-very-best
Don't do it. Not only are the Vista based graphic drivers (especially Nvidia's) complete garbage but so are the creative sound card drivers which do not currently support surround sound in games when running Windows Vista. Wait till summer or the end of the year before you plunk down some serious cash.
Dave_NBF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dave_NBF
Member since 2005 • 1974 Posts

I prefer pc gaming to my 360 and ps3 for CS:S alone however I will give a short answer that would actually contradict my love for PC gaming.

Short run-the value proposition is not quite attractive enough right now if you just want to compare a "next gen experience."  I know people will new egg a barebones system for about 1200 bucks (cpu, gpu, hd, ram, case, fans, etc) but the problem is that it may be more "powerful" on specs but I don't know if you can get Gears of War quality from that.  I think gears of war would make dx10 conroe systems cringe.  The 360 and ps3 still have room to grow and typically PC's need to be upgraded to get new games to run at the resolution you like.

Again I prefer PC's but with vista in its infancy, dx10 in its infancy and crysis not even out yet....wait until games are out that actually need this hardware.  The consoles are a better value proposition ATM...oops I guess that wasn't a short post.

VScalar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VScalar
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts
I prefer console gaming naturally, but couldn't live without a decent gaming PC.  I don't like the death of a thousand cuts, so I tend to do big projects every few years rather than constantly running the upgrade hamster wheel.
buckfush311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 buckfush311
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
I have no need to upgrade and my system is over two years old. I'll upgrade when I have to but PC gaming will always be better than console gaming if only because of mouse and keyboard + online games.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts
Of course 2007 has potentail to be one of the best gaming years of all time and its all on the PC, almost anyway.