PC highest seller in Ubisoft's Q1 2019/20 Financials

• 131 results
#1 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25463 posts) -

PC outsold PS4 in Ubisoft's Q1 2019/20 Financials

"Ubisoft has released its Q1 2019/20 Financial report, confirming that PC is now the company's top platform in terms of "net bookings", accounting for 34% of the company's business, exceeding PS4's 31%.

Part of this success comes from the continued success of Rainbow Six: Seige, which remains popular on PC, alongside titles such as The Division 2 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey, all of which have solid PC versions.

At the end of Ubisoft's 2018/19 financial year, Ubisoft stated that PC sales were up 79% year over year with UPlay generating 27% of the company's revenue when compared to 18% the previous year. Today, PC is a bigger earner for Ubisoft than PS4, showcasing the strength of the platform.

With the release of The Division 2, Ubisoft has seen UPlay sales for the franchise increase by a factor of 10x when compared to the series' previous outing. This is due to Ubisoft's partnership with Epic Games, which prevented the game's release on Steam, moving PC gamers to alternative storefronts where the publisher could benefit from an increased revenue share. High Season pass sales have also contributed to Ubisoft's sales growth on both PC and consoles."

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/pc_outsold_ps4_in_ubisoft_s_q1_2019_20_financials/1

Watch out, PS4; PC is the biggest seller for Ubisoft this year, and I'm sure that trend will continue onto other 3rd parties.

#2 Posted by Gatygun (1564 posts) -

Aint going to lie, i bought assassin creed origin for its benchmark ( yea lol ). Then i started playing i dig egypt history and was suprised how it entertained me.

Sadly never completed it.

#3 Posted by uninspiredcup (34420 posts) -

Unfortunate, would have thought PC gamers would have displayed better taste.

#4 Posted by DaVillain- (37589 posts) -

Bought the Division 2 PC this year and found the game to be so much better then EA's Anthem but yeah, Ubisoft seems to be treating PC players alot better then EA in my opinion.

Everyday, we see gamers coming to PC as ever before and for a very good reason.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#5 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3352 posts) -

It seems like every time I buy a GPU I’m given a free Ubi game. I buy a couple of GPUs a year too. Maybe I’ll play one of those games someday...

#6 Edited by BassMan (10578 posts) -

@davillain- said:

Bought the Division 2 PC this year and found the game to be so much better then EA's Anthem but yeah, Ubisoft seems to be treating PC players alot better then EA in my opinion.

Yeah, because they want quality and flexibility. Things that the consoles lack.

Only a fool would choose to play games like The Division 2 or AC: Odyssey on console at 30fps and inferior settings.

#7 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6856 posts) -

Ehh gave up on ubisoft games.

#8 Posted by NoodleFighter (10464 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95: @davillain-: This can be contributed to the growing Chinese premium PC gamer demographic. Assassin's Creed Odyessy sold the most in China on Steam for example. Rainbow Six Siege and The Division 1 China had the second largest playerbase on Steam. Ubisoft are already trying to get their games officially published in China which is why that Rainbow Six Siege censorship controversy came from.

#9 Edited by BoxRekt (2004 posts) -

The only ubisoft game I played this entire generation was Watch Dogs. After that I was good.

It's not like PC players have a lot of other options for single player AAA games this gen, so it's not that surprising.

Yea enjoy PC fans.

BTW I always hear PC's user base supposed to be like 3x larger than that of Playstation 4's, yet PC only managed 3% higher than PS4 here?

Guess the highly used user base argument get's swept under the rug when it's not an attempt to damage control PS4 sales.

#10 Posted by Fedor (5277 posts) -

The cows will be upset by this news. Aggressive damage control inc.

#11 Posted by lundy86_4 (53653 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

The only ubisoft game I played this entire generation was Watch Dogs. After that I was good.

It's not like PC players have a lot of other options for single player AAA games this gen, so it's not that surprising.

Yea enjoy PC fans.

BTW I always hear PC's user base supposed to be like 3x larger than that of Playstation 4's, yet PC only managed 3% higher than PS4 here?

Guess the highly used user base argument get's swept under the rug when it's not an attempt to damage control PS4 sales.

Stop crushing on PC.

#12 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

I'm not surprised. PC gamers make up over 50% of all gamers. That's more than twice any individual console.

I'm really disappointed in the bad taste of the PS4 players, though.

Note the above figure isn't that impressive; mobile gamers are the largest market, not PC.

#13 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1312 posts) -

But PC gamers are filthy pirates and never buy their games!!!!1!

#14 Posted by dagubot (1371 posts) -

Cows won't like this!!!!!!

#15 Posted by NoodleFighter (10464 posts) -

@dagubot: Especially when a couple just were talking about how PC is dependent on consoles for AAAs because we don't buy games

#16 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@dagubot: Well, then they can mooove on over and stop trying to milk the idea they are some kind of sales leader.

#17 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -

@fedor said:

The cows will be upset by this news. Aggressive damage control inc.

you were a few minutes late

#18 Posted by BassMan (10578 posts) -

@jasonofa36 said:

But PC gamers are filthy pirates and never buy their games!!!!1!

Oh shit. I am doing it wrong then. I better ask the developers for refunds.

#19 Posted by Fedor (5277 posts) -

@drlostrib: Lol, indeed I was.

#20 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25463 posts) -

@boxrekt: What was that? I couldn't hear you over the Sony fanboy cries of shame over those dwindling sales.

#21 Posted by pyro1245 (5162 posts) -

Wow you'd think those games would sell better on consoles.

#22 Posted by pelvist (7426 posts) -

The Division was the last UBI game I played. I got it free with a video card, I think it was the GTX980. That game was crap.

#23 Posted by sakaiXx (5930 posts) -

All I know is Division 2 bombed on console and only meet target on pc. Great move from ps4 owners (and those that somehow have xbox one).

Bad move from pc mustards suckered into buying the game, season pass and dlc.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#24 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4924 posts) -

Cool. I remember when Yves Guillemot was dragging ass when it came to PC gaming and doing proper ports and now I'm sure he's all in. Glad it's paying off. Now if only they can work on their MTX, but that's wishful thinking.

#25 Posted by R-Gamer (462 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95: Meh not really. A series like Rainbow 6 or Ghost recon will always be bigger on PC. Any quarter where Assasins Creed is released will be dominated by the PS4.

#26 Posted by R-Gamer (462 posts) -

PS4 beat PC for the total 2018-2019 fiscal year.

36% to 27%

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/05/15/1825430/0/en/UBISOFT-ENTERTAINMENT-Ubisoft-reports-full-year-2018-19-earnings-figures.html

Enjoy one quater herms.

#27 Posted by DaVillain- (37589 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

Yea enjoy PC fans.

#28 Posted by xhawk27 (11357 posts) -

What are you PC gamers going to say about the next gen Consoles since they will be doing 60fps in every game.

#29 Posted by ButDuuude (1399 posts) -

@pyro1245: Actually, they do. Look at the chart again lol

#30 Edited by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

Yea enjoy PC fans.

Dude. This is Ubisoft. It's effectively a competition to see which system has the worst taste in games. Being behind by only 3% on leading it is not something to brag about.

Just like winning it isn't something to brag about.

The big winner of this round is the Switch.

#31 Edited by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

PC gamers sure enjoy MTX filled games. This is totally expected, since the most popular games on steam are all filled with mtx, ubisoft games are in line with what PC gamers like.

#32 Posted by ellos (2058 posts) -

But attach rates......

#33 Edited by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -
@calvincfb said:

PC gamers sure enjoy MTX filled games. This is totally expected, since the most popular games on steam are all filled with mtx, ubisoft games are in line with what PC gamers like.

so playstation gamers are the same?

#34 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -
@xhawk27 said:

What are you PC gamers going to say about the next gen Consoles since they will be doing 60fps in every game.

but will they?

#35 Edited by sakaiXx (5930 posts) -

@drlostrib: Division 2 bombed on consoles. We still not fully sold our souls to mtx like the pc mustards.

#36 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1312 posts) -

Oooh, the damage control. I like it.

#37 Edited by I_P_Daily (12362 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@davillain- said:

Only a fool would choose to play games like The Division 2 or AC: Odyssey on console at 30fps and inferior settings.

You need to get some new material bass as this rinse & repeat stuff is stinking up the place

#38 Posted by DrLostRib (5022 posts) -
@sakaixx said:

@drlostrib: Division 2 bombed on consoles. We still not fully sold our souls to mtx like the pc mustards.

evidence indicates otherwise

#39 Edited by sakaiXx (5930 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@sakaixx said:

evidence indicates otherwise

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/05/16/ubisoft-reveals-the-division-2-did-not-meet-sales-expectations-on-ps4-and-xbox-one/amp/

#40 Posted by djoffer (1430 posts) -

Gotta admit Ubisoft have released quite a few quality lately, so have definitely contributed to those numbers! The division 2 was great, so was far cry!

#41 Posted by BassMan (10578 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@BassMan said:
@davillain- said:

You need to get some new material bass as this rinse & repeat stuff is stinking up the place

No need for new material. I will always shit on any game that runs at 30fps. Console frame rates are the gift that keeps on giving. LOL

#42 Posted by KBFloYd (21892 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

not confirmed yet.

#43 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31487 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Unfortunate, would have thought PC gamers would have displayed better taste.

Seems like senseless hate to be frank.

Anno and Assassin's Creed are solid franchises.

#44 Posted by PC_Rocks (2559 posts) -

Stop lying, cows told me PC gamers don't buy premium games and all revenue comes from shitty F2P games.

Then you realize, PC is the highest earner for Ubisoft - a company PC gamers despise as cup pointed out above. I wonder what's the situation is at Bethesda, SEGA etc.

#45 Edited by victordamazio (16 posts) -

Yeah, I'm loving this damage control.

Their excuse is that Ubisoft games suck, and being the best costumer for Ubisoft games is not something to be proud of, but at this rate, it's a matter of time for more companies to have PC as their most profitable platform, eventually, this can happen with even some japanese companies like Bandai Namco or Capcom.

#46 Posted by NoodleFighter (10464 posts) -

@pc_rocks: I wouldn't be suprised if PC is SEGA's top earner either. Especially since Total War: Three Kingdoms is a big hit even bigger than Total War Warhammer with nearly the double the player count peak at launch and selling a lot more in the same time span. Plus they've been porting their Japanese games over non stop and have been pleased with the PC versions sales.

#47 Edited by warmblur (2821 posts) -

Far Cry 5 is great don't care what anyone says just wish Ubisoft would bring back Splinter Cell. Ubisoft do deserve hate for there graphic downgrades and greedy tactics though.

#48 Posted by XVision84 (16332 posts) -

@boxrekt: Don't be jealous Boxy, inferior graphics at 30fps is still playable. There's no shame in that!

#49 Posted by NoodleFighter (10464 posts) -

@victordamazio said:

Yeah, I'm loving this damage control.

Their excuse is that Ubisoft games suck, and being the best costumer for Ubisoft games is not something to be proud of, but at this rate, it's a matter of time for more companies to have PC as their most profitable platform, eventually, this can happen with even some japanese companies like Bandai Namco or Capcom.

It's already happening. Capcom has stated earlier this year that the sales ratio of the PC versions of their games is constantly improving and is now a high priority. PC is the second largest platform for Monster Hunter World. Not only that but Resident Evil 2 Remake and Devil May Cry 5 were also huge hits on Steam and top sellers.

Bandai Namco is also showing more interest in PC. The Dark Souls franchise is successful on PC and most of their PS4 games that aren't on other consoles are on PC. They're currently developing an Online Action RPG for PC called Blue Protocol.

#50 Posted by DaVillain- (37589 posts) -

@i_p_daily: BassMan isn't wrong what he's saying.

Yep, I'm console gamer who's trap inside a PC hardware's body ;)