Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

It's math.

Anyways...I just got done playing through RE7 in 4k/60hz/HDR with surround sound.

Holy crap...I've seen hdr on Forza (xbone) and Gears 4. But the combination of a 4k game with hdr is just amazing. RE7 is far and away the best looking game I've seen. The combination of darkness with detailed shadows, and bright lights, is just awe inducing. I haven't played Hitman since the hdr patch (pc) yet, and I'm going through Shadow Warrior 2 right now.

I'm just saying that hdr is a bigger change in fidelity than 4k from 1080p. The combination of both 4k/60hz as well as hdr is really a game changer. I can't wait for new games to support hdr and I have no doubt hdr is in the future for pc as well as consoles. Keeping my necessary 60hz+ as well as this incredibly sharp resolution, and amazing color gamut and contrast just really makes things amazing.

Here's to the HDR revolution! Thoughts?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I haven't even seen HDR yet. What a plebian.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts
@silversix_ said:

I game on a 4k monitor so chances are I won't see HDR for awhile too, so /pleb

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69431 Posts

I have yet to experience HDR for Gears 4 or Forza 3 :(. I have for Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian and it was nice but nothing to write home about.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Hence why I bought a 50" 4K UHD Vizio P model with WCG capable HDR last October. Incredible picture and I haven't even seen proper 4K or HDR output as I don't have a 4K player or PS4 Pro.

I figured I should get the TV first as it will be the most expensive part.

Still, even the upscaled bluray movies look incredible. Watched Avatar the other day and it was like my TV was a window I could step through.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#6  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

While HDR is nice and definitely worthwhile... Having RE7 run at 4K/60fps with HDR does not make it the best looking game. There are better looking games than RE7.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I'm waiting to see if the Bravia A2 will have HDMI 2.1 support. If not, I should get a better price on the A1 by the time it is announced.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17423 Posts

@Telekill said:

Hence why I bought a 50" 4K UHD Vizio P model with WCG capable HDR last October. Incredible picture and I haven't even seen proper 4K or HDR output as I don't have a 4K player or PS4 Pro.

Still, even the upscaled bluray movies look incredible. Watched Avatar the other day and it was like my TV was a window I could step through.

Im really hoping they re-release a 4K verison of Avatar.

I havent seen a movie look as good as Avatar so far on a 4K TV.

I have the Samsung KS8000

Ive been going back and replaying a ton of games in 4K and boy does it make a difference.

Replaying ME3 and Fallout 3 with 4K and surround sound is crazy

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@navyguy21 said:

Ive been going back and replaying a ton of games in 4K and boy does it make a difference.

Been telling that to the doofus on this forum but they claim unless you got a giant 70" and are sitting 2ft away from it, you won't notice the difference between 4K and 1080p. This comes from guys with either no 4K TV's or shitty 4K TV's coupled with a laughable PC.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Do I need a 10 bit monitor to get HDR?

I think I might have seen some RE7 HDR screenshots on steam and they look like paintings.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

It's math.

Anyways...I just got done playing through RE7 in 4k/60hz/HDR with surround sound.

Holy crap...I've seen hdr on Forza (xbone) and Gears 4. But the combination of a 4k game with hdr is just amazing. RE7 is far and away the best looking game I've seen. The combination of darkness with detailed shadows, and bright lights, is just awe inducing. I haven't played Hitman since the hdr patch (pc) yet, and I'm going through Shadow Warrior 2 right now.

I'm just saying that hdr is a bigger change in fidelity than 4k from 1080p. The combination of both 4k/60hz as well as hdr is really a game changer. I can't wait for new games to support hdr and I have no doubt hdr is in the future for pc as well as consoles. Keeping my necessary 60hz+ as well as this incredibly sharp resolution, and amazing color gamut and contrast just really makes things amazing.

Damn , im jealous !

What kind of monsterous PC you got and how much it costs in order to be able to play 4K/60hz/HDR with max settings ? I wonder. What kind of Monitor/TV you got for 4K gaming/HDR combo ?

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@demi0227_basic said:

It's math.

Damn , im jealous !

What kind of monsterous PC you got and how much it costs in order to be able to play 4K/60hz/HDR with max settings ? I wonder. What kind of Monitor/TV you got for 4K gaming/HDR combo ?

It wouldn't be cheap, that's for sure!

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@thereal25 said:
@AzatiS said:
@demi0227_basic said:

It's math.

Damn , im jealous !

It wouldn't be cheap, that's for sure!

i never heard anyone before that plays RE7 kind of game at 4k/60fps/HDR enabled lol.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Lol RE 7 in anything but PSVR is a joke.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Juub1990

@Gaming-Planet said:

I think I might have seen some RE7 HDR screenshots on steam and they look like paintings.

In reality yes. You need a 10-bit panel to have 1.07 billion colors compared ton 16.8 million for 8-bit. So for true HDR yes, 10-bit is needed.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts
@Pray_to_me said:

Lol RE 7 in anything but PSVR is a joke.

No that's just you making a pathetic attempt to try and convince people the console cludge you experience is superior.

How many years have you been here trying to defend a console purchase? You could have spent a tiny fraction of that time and earned enough to buy a top end PC every year.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts
Loading Video...

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gaming-Planet
@Juub1990 said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

In reality yes. You need a 10-bit panel to have 1.07 billion colors compared ton 16.8 million for 8-bit. So for true HDR yes, 10-bit is needed.

Wow, that's a huge gap in contrast.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@Pray_to_me: derp

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Hah RE7 should be played in PSVR :D

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
@Juub1990 said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Wow, that's a huge gap in contrast.

It is. To answer the original question though, 10 bit is not necessary for HDR. HDR will necessitate 10 bit color depth. Hmm...let me try again. HDR is 10 bit at least, but the HDR contains higher contrast than 10 bit. So...10 bit depth is ONE of the features of HDR, but HDR is MORE than just 10 bit content and display. The brights are bright, and there's a level of depth in the shadows that brings detail to life that you CANNOT at all see on a regular panel. Imagine being in a dark room with 1 window open during the daytime and you have a view outside...it's bright out, and you can see detail in the shadows in your room. The greater contrast is far better for visual fidelity than even the step from 1080p to 4k. It adds a layer of fidelity that's impossible to understand without seeing it in your home (big box stores are so bright, and the displays so poorly calibrated...really...in the home, it's NUTS to see for the first time).

If people are looking at "HDR" pictures (A poster above mentioned it didn't look good) on a standard monitor/tv, you are NOT seeing HDR. Because it HAS to be on an HDR screen for you to see the difference. Just like a 4k picture on a 1080p monitor...it doesn't matter. Your still looking at 1080p.

To the other poster that claimed RE7 isn't the best looking game out right now...you're wrong. You need to see it in 4k/60hz HDR. It's absolutely astounding. Screenshots on a normal monitor/tv won't do it justice. I'm not claiming it's technically the most advanced looking game...I'm saying it LOOKS the best out of any game experience I've seen...well above Crysis 3 in 4k, or Tomb Raider, etc.

Lastly...yeah, my setup was a bit. I'm running 1070's sli (RE7 supports sli through Nvidia Inspector) with 16gb Ram/4790k @4.8ghz, off an 850 pro. My surround sound is an Onkyo 7.1 THX setup with Klipsch Reference setup, Towers in front, smalls in surround, and a BIG damn subwoofer. I have my desk next to the home theater with a Swift Rog monitor, and a separate Yamaha Receiver powering Polk Reference Bookshelves (Schiit Stack separate DAC/Headphone Amp powering Beyerdynamic DT990's at 600ohm if I need cans). Both my home theater and desk speakers run to the same sub as this is my man cave, damnit. I only run 1 signal to the sub at a time and there's no need for 2 subs in my room. Anyways...that's some of the stuff I have have, since you wanted to know. Oh yeah...TV is Sammy 65 inch curved HDR...I forget which model. It's not the fancy Quantum Dot one though...it's the step below. The Quantum Dot one's are really sweet, but were 3x the price at the time I purchased mine for the same screen size. It still hurts your eyes to look at a "sun" in HDR though.

Back to the subject, I think if I experienced RE7 on a lesser setup, it wouldn't of had the impact. Jack cutting off my leg in 4k/60hz/hdr is gruesome indeed! PSVR is crap, crap, crap. Tried it, and VERY unimpressed. Maybe in another gen or 2 they'll not have such crap hardware and graphics. What's the point of VR if it looks like shit? Admittedly, it'd be a game changer to have HDR tech in VR with big boy hardware to push it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Thought HDR was just an instagram filter until I saw what it did to New Vegas. The shadows became pitch black, it's pretty awesome.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I've yet to see HDR, but what i've "heard," is that PC is behind... So far...

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gaming-Planet

@demi0227_basic:

Thanks for the info. Would really like to try HDR 4k.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts
@lundy86_4 said:

I've yet to see HDR, but what i've "heard," is that PC is behind... So far...

It is, less HDR supporting titles, tho since Shadow Warrior 2 it has started showing up on new titles too for PC and you are pretty much tied to playing from TV as HDR monitors aren't out yet

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

do hdr monitors even exist?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

do hdr monitors even exist?

Yeah Acer and Asus are making ones this year. Expect to pay at least $1,000 for them.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

I'll just stick to my 1440p monitor and I do have RE7 on PC and playing it 1440p/60fps is all I'm gonna do.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

Just watched a 4k Deadpool Blu-Ray on my OLED tv. It was like looking at real life. Good lord it is great. HDR looks amazing in movies. I'm still on the fence with games. It has to be adjusted a lot to make it look good. Resident Evil 7 brightness slide was helpful, just time consuming since the perfect blacks drop the detail at times.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'm about to take the plunge myself. Just ordered an LG 65" OLED C7. Basically the best TV out and the best panel to be used this year. Haven't seen HDR outside of a show room (show rooms sucks), so I'm very excited. I was never excited for 4k, but I think HDR + 4k + OLED = heaven.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#33  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm about to take the plunge myself. Just ordered an LG 65" OLED C7. Haven't seen HDR outside of a show room (show rooms sucks), so I'm very excited. I was never excited for 4k, but I think HDR + 4k + OLED = heaven.

I am tempted to buy the B7, but I am going to hold off until they have full HDMI 2.1 support. Hopefully next year's model has it, but I am willing to wait longer if necessary. I am not going to spend that kind of money on a TV and not get exactly what I want. Adaptive Sync is a must, especially since 4K/60fps is so hard to sustain at max settings. At least LG finally fixed the input lag issue with their OLED TVs.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KHAndAnime

@BassMan said:
@KHAndAnime said:

I'm about to take the plunge myself. Just ordered an LG 65" OLED C7. Haven't seen HDR outside of a show room (show rooms sucks), so I'm very excited. I was never excited for 4k, but I think HDR + 4k + OLED = heaven.

I am tempted to buy that same TV, but I am going to hold off until they have full HDMI 2.1 support. Hopefully next year's model has it, but I am willing to wait longer if necessary. I am not going to spend that kind of money on a TV and not get exactly what I want.

I'm just going to buy another TV whenever that happens. There's always going to be something better around the corner. Running newer games at 4k, maxed, at over 60 FPS isn't the easiest thing to do anyways, so I'm not that concerned about high refresh rate at the moment. There's already more than enough incentive to upgrade. PS4 Pro, Scorpio, movies, and most content isn't necessarily going to take advantage of that high refresh rate or variable refresh rate anyways (Pro and Scorpio doesn't have HDMI 2.1). Life's short. I'm not going to spend a year or 2 waiting around with a dinky 50" Plasma when there are amazing 65" OLEDS floating around. These last few months have already been really difficult for me. HDMI 2.1 as a standard is pretty far off to be basing your current purchases off of. Unless it's like an A/V receiver or something.

These OLED screens are jaw-droppingly beautiful. It can't be overstated.

Adaptive Sync is a must, especially since 4K/60fps is so hard to sustain at max settings. At least LG finally fixed the input lag issue with their OLED TVs.

Nothing will use adaptive sync until next-gen. We are talking 5+ years here. NVIDIA hasn't even talked about supporting it. I'm not going to base my TV purchase off the minority of games I can run above 60 FPS, or very distant speculation. You're going to be waiting behind a long time.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@silversix_ said:

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KHAndAnime

@ShepardCommandr said:
@silversix_ said:

I'd say go to Best Buy and just check out a Magnolia showroom there, but HDR is best viewed in a dark room ;)

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17423 Posts

@Pedro said:

I have yet to experience HDR for Gears 4 or Forza 3 :(. I have for Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian and it was nice but nothing to write home about.

HDR support on standard PS4 has been average at best, its not full HDR

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Juub1990
@navyguy21 said:

Yeah I was wondering what the hell people were smoking when they kept telling me HDR was a bigger deal than 4K for games.

I played Ratchet and Clank on my KS8000 which I'm sure has almost full HDR and while it does look nicer I could do without. I compared the HDR to my non-HDR monitor and the difference really wasn't as big as some people claimed. Kinda suspect many of them hadn't actually experienced it and simply parroted what others before them had said.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Been wanting to get a monitor upgrade for a long time now. Still waiting. Because of something that will happen here in a month or 4. I wonder if we'll see HDR monitors become kind of a standard by that time.

Performance is quite important for me so I think I'd still rather go 2k ultrawide over 4k even on a high end machine...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@navyguy21 said:

Yeah I was wondering what the hell people were smoking when they kept telling me HDR was a bigger deal than 4K for games.

I played Ratchet and Clank on my KS8000 which I'm sure has almost full HDR and while it does look nicer I could do without. I compared the HDR to my non-HDR monitor and the difference really wasn't as big as some people claimed. Kinda suspect many of them hadn't actually experienced it and simply parroted what others before them had said.

So what your saying is, I'm not missing anything while I still play 1440 monitor? Cool.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Juub1990

@davillain-: I have no idea how you got to that conclusion but alright.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46254 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Thanks for the info.

My next monitor will definitely be a 10bit 21:9 monitor.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

I game on a 4k monitor so chances are I won't see HDR for awhile too, so /pleb

Don't feel bad. I'm still doing 1080p @ 60 Hz. Can't move up until my display fails. /dinosaur. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I much prefer RE7 in VR to 4K HDR. And I love HDR in console and PC games. But for a horror game like RE7, the PS4 Pro and PSVR is the way to go. Hopefully the Sony exclusive deal is only a year or so, because I would love to see RE7 on PC with the Vive.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@navyguy21 said:
@Telekill said:

I have the same TV. Never thought to play ME3 on it. Now I'm going to have to try. I also modded the textures so it should look even better!

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Juub1990
@Zero_epyon said:

I have the same TV. Never thought to play ME3 on it. Now I'm going to have to try. I also modded the textures so it should look even better!

I beat ME and ME2 on it and started ME3. They do look nicer in 4K but the huge problem is that the textures are still low-res so you end up with these high-definition characters with terrible ground textures. At least in 1080p they are more even.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zero_epyon

@Juub1990 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

I beat ME and ME2 on it and started ME3. They do look nicer in 4K but the huge problem is that the textures are still low-res so you end up with these high-definition characters with terrible ground textures. At least in 1080p they are more even.

Right. I noticed this when I got my 1440p monitor a while back. I modded the textures almost immediately after. Makes a world of difference.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Juub1990
@Zero_epyon said:

Right. I noticed this when I got my 1440p monitor a while back. I modded the textures almost immediately after. Makes a world of difference.

I did the same too. Problem is Mass Effect isn't as mod friendly as TES or even Dark Souls. Applying new textures wasn't exactly hard but downloading them to the game took a while. I downloaded a huge patch that contained retextures even for characters. Took like 1h to get everything installed by the game. Also needed to avoid conflicting texture patches or other mod conflicts.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zero_epyon

@Juub1990 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

I did the same too. Problem is Mass Effect isn't as mod friendly as TES or even Dark Souls. Applying new textures wasn't exactly hard but downloading them to the game took a while. I downloaded a huge patch that contained retextures even for characters. Took like 1h to get everything installed by the game. Also needed to avoid conflicting texture patches or other mod conflicts.

Yes I remember all of that. It was a pain to do. But it's certainly worth it.