PC gaming is still too expensive and that's a huge problem. It's not worth it anymore.

• 130 results
#1 Posted by joebones5000 (2097 posts) -

An average mid-range PC for 1080p gaming - $750, with Windows. Average console price $300, native or up-scaled 1080p.

I've been a PC gamer since 1994, but now I'm wondering if it's worth it anymore. PC graphics used to be so far ahead of consoles, but last gen all of that changed. The time has come to replace my fx 6300 / gtx 1050, and PC prices versus console aren't adding up for me. A mid-range PC for 1080p gaming is more than double the cost of a base-model console, and almost 2x the cost of the "pro" versions of these consoles. That in itself wouldn't necessarily be an issue, if a mid-range PC we substantially better than a console, but it isn't, not anymore.

I've played the Witcher 3 on PC and on a friends Xbox One, and while (60fps 720p/Medium) in the Witcher 3 looks and feels slightly better on my PC than it does on the xbox one most of the time, I had just as much fun playing it on the xbox one (900p/30 fps), upscaled to 1080p as I did on the PC. I really didn't notice the difference in frame rate at all.

I went to my local best buy and hopped on newegg for price matches, and as soon as I hit $500 in parts, which was very fast, I realized that it just wasn't worth the hassle when I could spend $300 on an Xbox or PS4 and be up and running in 20 mins without having to worry about anything.

With current prices, I'm just not seeing the benefit of PC over console, especially if you're not worried about anything other than playing the latest games with a controller and have no intention of using a mouse/kb.

I always resisted consoles, favoring the backwards compatibility, customization, and versatility of a PC, but it's just not worth it anymore. All I want to do is play a game here and there that looks good and is quick and easy to get into. There's no reason for a gaming PC anymore.

Now I see why console have become so popular. They rival PC graphics at a fraction of the cost.

#2 Edited by br0kenrabbit (15940 posts) -

If you're down for a few formulaic exclusives, more power to you.

But you're giving up the deep variety PC offers. Things like Total War, any kind of viable simulation (flight, tank, mech, sub, etc.), 4X (Civilization, Stelaris, Sins of a Solar Empire), RTS and TBS...

...remember: consoles have exclusive games. PC has exclusive genres.

#3 Edited by npiet1 (2070 posts) -

In the long term, PC's are cheaper because the games are cheaper. Plus most people have a PC anyway, they are used in more than just gaming. So really you just need to fork out the extra $50 for a better cpu and $300-1000 depending on the GPU you want. A $300 GPU will still play better than consoles.

#4 Posted by DrLostRib (4772 posts) -

cool story, bro

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#5 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4344 posts) -

PC gaming isn't just about graphical power, it's about customization, which will always give it the edge over consoles. The walled gardens hold consoles back, plus you can upgrade piece by piece instead of investing in a whole box. Plus, like the first response already said, there's a crapton of games that are more tailored for PC as well. There's no filter if you want the newest homegrown games fresh out the the gate.

#6 Posted by pyro1245 (4918 posts) -
@joebones5000 said:

With current prices, I'm just not seeing the benefit of PC over console, especially if you're not worried about anything other than playing the latest games with a controller and have no intention of using a mouse/kb.

That's fair. I will always favor PC for gaming. Not to mention I use my PC for several other hobbies.

I have always been a PC gamer, but I really liked consoles as well up until mid-gen 7 when they seemed to start adopting all of the negative aspects of PCs. Now to me they just seem like locked-down PCs that aren't as good as my real PC which offers many more options and quality of life features I've come to be used to.

I don't have a problem buying consoles to play exclusives. It's just never as good of an experience as I'd like it to be. Maybe I spoiled myself.

...Okay I lied. I do have a problem with exclusive games that run poorly due to hardware limitations and programming quirks like Bloodborne. I know it would run fine on PC because Dark Souls 3 has the same issues on consoles but runs fine on PC. This is really my main gripe with consoles. I'd buy a damn PS4 Pro if it ran BB any better, but it doesn't. Ugh... The lack of support for this game makes me sad. You know the community would have fixed it by now had it been released on an open platform. /rant

#7 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25195 posts) -

Can we play a game called, "How much can the TC lie?"

Or if the TC wants to be super lazy.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1VK-005B-000E1

It took me a whole 3 minutes to find this.

#8 Posted by NoodleFighter (10164 posts) -

We're already at the point where PC on high settings is night and day with consoles. Consoles graphics are the equivalent to medium/low settings of games nowadays.

The only parts you need to upgrade on your PC are the CPU and GPU and $500 is more than enough to get it ahead of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. For $500 you can upgrade to a Ryzen 5 CPU and RTX 2060 you'll be leagues above the Xbox One X in graphics. Hell you could probably cheap out and stick with your FX 6300 a bit longer.

For $750 nowadays you can build yourself a 1440p max settings gaming rig. A 1080p gaming rig can easily be built for $500.

#9 Posted by rmpumper (555 posts) -

Infinite backwards compatibility will always be worth the money, plus, you don't need to upgrade that often or get the best hardware to run new games.

I'm still on my 10 year old PC case, PSU and monitor, 6 year old 4770K, mobo and RAM, and a 4 year old 970, but can run most current gen games at 2x higher FPS at 1200p with higher settings than the base consoles AND I have all the BC for hundreds of my older games to run on the same system instead of having to keep outdated boxes all over the place in order to run good old games at shitty resolutions and framerates on their native systems.

#10 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15940 posts) -

@NoodleFighter said:

This is the difference the next gen of consoles will bring. Not more than that.

People expect the Holodeck every time a new console gen is announced, and it always falls flat. How many times have we gone back and made fun of pre-release trailers juxtaposed against the actual released game?

*cough*Killzone*cough*

#11 Posted by AJStyles (736 posts) -

@NoodleFighter: That’s your best example of “Night and Day”?

I honestly couldn’t tell the difference until I noticed the words on the bottom. Then I had to really pay attention.

Sorry bro, but if that is supposedly a “massive difference” then LOL. Not worth the extra $1000 for such a minor graphics upgrade.

#12 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15940 posts) -

@ajstyles said:

I honestly couldn’t tell the difference until I noticed the words on the bottom. Then I had to really pay attention.

Sorry bro, but if that is supposedly a “massive difference” then LOL. Not worth the extra $1000 for such a minor graphics upgrade.

#13 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25195 posts) -
@ajstyles said:

If you can't tell the difference, then you're just blind. How can you read the forums?

#14 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1208 posts) -

Yeah, this topic has been a yearly recurring thread from TC.

#15 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15940 posts) -

@jasonofa36 said:

Yeah, this topic has been a yearly recurring thread from TC.

Yeah, you're right: https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/the-biggest-problems-with-pc-gaming-33363455/

Mods should lock this as spam.

#16 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43765 posts) -

Ah the ol' "PC is only for the visuals" argument. So ignorant, so lame, so overused.

Yeah if you want to settle for the value machine, that's fine. Just remember that you get what you pay for. Sometimes people want to buy the Corvette and not the Camry.

#18 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6256 posts) -

$750 for 1080p gaming PC?... $750 is a 1440/60FPS PC.

$440 will get you 1080/60 or 1440/30 everything depends on the game and settings used:

$760 will get you 1440/60 or 4K/30 or 1080/144 depending on the game and settings used:

Its okay if you can't justify spending more than a console but stop exaggerating, a $750 is not a 1080/60 machine that can be done for MUCH less and if you were to play with the same rules as consoles medium settings at 30FPS... Then that $440 PC is a 1440 PC!

#19 Posted by KBFloYd (21722 posts) -

#20 Posted by Sevenizz (3611 posts) -

PC gaming is not a living room thing. Mouse and keyboard simply needs a desk and chair. I played WoW for years and I regulated myself to the basement. I became less social (well, with actual friends), and my family life suffered. When MS announced the Xbox One I decided to quit WoW and go back to the living room. I’m glad I did. Everything just got better and easier.

For those that claim they game on pc in their living room - you’re a liar. I’ve tried it and no set up makes it comfortable or possible for long sessions. It even a laptop. You simply cannot game with a mouse and keyboard from a couch or lazyboy.

#21 Posted by djoffer (1214 posts) -

Sure sure if you put up all of those terms( only new games, only controller etc etc) then sure consoles are probably better for you...

In general though, if you are an adult and 300$ in price difference matters (much) to you, your time would probably be better spend not gaming and working some more instead...

#22 Posted by thehig1 (7242 posts) -

If you buy more games than the latest fifa and call of duty you will end up saving money over the course of a year or two.

Also take into account not paying for xbox live or psn.

Games are generally cheaper at release on PC, (although not always, looking at you Epic games) and sales are more competitve.

#23 Posted by thehig1 (7242 posts) -

@Sevenizz: I play my PC in living room, majority of games I use x1 controller or Steam Controller.

The fact it loads up quicker, has access to all my games, along with Netflix, other streaming sites and my IPTV client for football its way more fit for purpose than a console in my living room.

#24 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6676 posts) -

Consoles are so limited when it comes to variety of games.

#25 Posted by mojito1988 (3530 posts) -

Now that I am coming up on 40 years old, treating myself to a new PC every few years is one of my favorite things to do. When I was in my early 20s, it was not affordable, now it is nothing.

My point is that the word affordable really just depends on who you are and where you are in life.

#26 Posted by That_Old_Guy (1176 posts) -

With the next gen consoles setting up a standard for 8 cores, more powerful etc which why that’s the sentiment....the base for a CPU for a PC starting next gen will be pretty expensive.

The 8 core CPU’s now are kinda expensive and used to brute force good optimization even though a good quad core is enough right now.

But these new consoles are gonna hurt the spectrum of being able to buy cheap or really expensive when it comes to PC gaming.

That and with Ray Tracing supposedly being a thing...it only makes it worse.

#27 Posted by Howmakewood (5790 posts) -
@mojito1988 said:

Now that I am coming up on 40 years old, treating myself to a new PC every few years is one of my favorite things to do. When I was in my early 20s, it was not affordable, now it is nothing.

My point is that the word affordable really just depends on who you are and where you are in life.

aye, went through uni with one build pretty much, just swapping gpu out once. Afterwards been able to write pc parts down for tax deducts so dont really pay all that much for shit, not that I couldn't afford to but might as well get something back...

#28 Posted by Techhog89 (3709 posts) -

Neat.

#29 Edited by xantufrog (11161 posts) -

The same old tired stuff man. Who in their right mind buys a $750 rebuilt PC every 4-5 years like a console?

I don't know anyone who does.

You buy one once, and upgrade parts only as needed for the next 20 years. And unless you need the bleeding edge, those upgrades are typically comparable or less than a console. For example, at the start of this generation, someone who wanted X1 graphics in their old PC needed to spend only about $150. That's compared to a 500 piece of console hardware.

And then of course there's the issue that you use your PC for other things.... It's like complaining that a car is a really expensive boombox.

And then of course there's my oldest objection: PC has never been about the graphics for me. In fact, back in the day, 8- 16-bit consoles excelled in some graphical areas we struggled with on PC. And it was ok.

PC is about the customizeability of every aspect - play what you want, however you want, at whatever budget you want. It's many things to every person who uses it. From 30 years of BC to mods to graphics+performance settings to input options. It has entire genres missing from consoles. I simply cannot pass on that sort of thing for the sake of some one-time upfront hardware cost that vanishes rapidly as the years pass.

Oh and no way - TW3 at 25fps is freaking painful compared to 60fps. I'm convinced that is largely responsible for the gripes about its clunky controls by many people. Seriously, take your PC and cap it at 30 and prepare to throw your mouse at the screen

#30 Posted by Kali-B1rd (2031 posts) -

I call bullshit on this post, its every generic reason spouted by peasants for years. But the same old answers remain even in the age of diminishing exclusives.

#31 Posted by tenaka2 (17168 posts) -

The peasants are revolting.

#32 Edited by SecretPolice (35079 posts) -

Mighty Bang4YourBuck X1X 4K BC GP MonsterBox is the only way to go. It's good to be MasterRace. lol :P

#33 Edited by pelvist (7364 posts) -

If you were a real PC gamer since 1995 then you'd know you get a lot more for the money than just better graphics. If you are for real then get a console, they are cheap enough now.

#34 Posted by lundy86_4 (52639 posts) -

You should just stop being poor!

#35 Posted by DaVillain- (36003 posts) -

PC are as expensive as you want to make them but also keep in mind they do more than just gaming. If you are like myself and use a computer for work and other hobbies, it is incredibly easy to justify large budgets for a PC. If you are younger and just see it as a gaming machine, you are bound to be disappointed because a PC never ages as well as you'd like. What I mean by that is, I see people drop $2000 on a PC to run a game on ultra and freak out when it can't run a game on ultra in 2 years. If you are realistic with your investment then this isn't an issue but 9/10 it is.

I use my PC for more than just games you know. A PC these days if life so it's worth me to have the best that I can get. In the end, the keyword would be: totally worth it to me!!! A decent gaming PC that you can build for only $500 is somewhat more expensive than a current console, but not having to pay for online play/amazing deals on games that the consoles don't get closes the gap. Console gamers need to stop perpetuating these myths that it costs "$2000 or more to build a nicely decent gaming PC, conversely, no, you simply cannot build a quality, both in component longevity and performance gaming PC for $500-$700 without a single amazing deal/cutting major corners somewhere.

That's why we are called the Master Race. The poor console gamers couldn't even afford an average computer and despite I'm devoted to PC, I hardly consider myself a Master Race, I'm a gamer for the most parts cause I do own PS4/Nintendo Switch for exclusive games.

#36 Edited by pyro1245 (4918 posts) -
@Sevenizz said:

PC gaming is not a living room thing. Mouse and keyboard simply needs a desk and chair. I played WoW for years and I regulated myself to the basement. I became less social (well, with actual friends), and my family life suffered. When MS announced the Xbox One I decided to quit WoW and go back to the living room. I’m glad I did. Everything just got better and easier.

For those that claim they game on pc in their living room - you’re a liar. I’ve tried it and no set up makes it comfortable or possible for long sessions. It even a laptop. You simply cannot game with a mouse and keyboard from a couch or lazyboy.

Tell that to my HTPC with 4 DS3 controllers ready to go. Steam Big Picture actually works very well for the 'living room console experience'. Plus I have the shared library and saves in both places. I have an X1X, Switch, and PS4 out there too, but the HTPC gets plenty of use with SP and MP games.

I don't play K&M games in the living room, that's what my main rig with the 144Hz monitor is for.

Before I got a good job I only had one PC. I put it in the living room and you're damn right I set up my chair and table with K&M in there and gamed like that for probably 2 years.

And I think the notion of always being laid back in the living room is flawed. Some games are sit-up-and-focus-games, and some games are relaxing games.

#37 Posted by DaVillain- (36003 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

You should just stop being poor!

I know right. People are so poor, all they have is money lol.

#38 Posted by AdobeArtist (25111 posts) -
@joebones5000 said:

I really didn't notice the difference in frame rate at all....

Now I see why console have become so popular. They rival PC graphics at a fraction of the cost.

Credibility lost... if it was ever there to begin with.

Not being able to see the difference between 30 and 60 fps is like not being able to see the difference between grayscale and full color visuals.

#39 Posted by lundy86_4 (52639 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

I only play my PC in the living room. It's hooked up to my Samsung Q8.

#40 Posted by DocSanchez (5212 posts) -

Always been this way I am afraid. You are paying for whqt you get. Consoles are a convenience thing which is why they are so popular. PCs are freedom. Freedom to be massively OP.

#41 Posted by dxmcat (2563 posts) -

sorry, fast food cant really compete with a home cooked meal.

you are a clownshoe if you think so.

#42 Posted by GarGx1 (10928 posts) -

Just spend a bit over £2k for a new laptop, so for me PC gaming is definitely worth it.

Lol @ 720p 60fps on anything.

#43 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15940 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

It doesn't sound like the location you game in is the issue, it sounds like you just game way too much.

Hobbies aren't lifestyles. Get a life.

#44 Posted by with_teeth26 (9468 posts) -

"pc gaming is too expensive and complicated" = "i'm too poor and stupid for PC gaming"

#45 Posted by BassMan (10029 posts) -

So, you don't care about quality and just want the basic bitch experience.... a console sounds perfect for you.

#46 Posted by Fedor (4599 posts) -

OP is a broke kid stealthy e-begging for shekels.

#47 Posted by remiks00 (3809 posts) -

Lol, Same old tired anti-PC threads masked as blog posts from trolls. I see SW's hasn't changed much. XD

#48 Posted by appariti0n (2750 posts) -

@joebones5000: Yeah.... my mobo and CPU are 9 years old now, yet can still run any modern AAA at 1440p over 60 fps. PC is only more expensive when you're starting from absolute scratch.

#49 Posted by XVision84 (15785 posts) -

TC's right. I ran a blindfolded test comparing 144fps on my PC and 30fps on my ps4. Couldn't tell the difference.

#50 Posted by sleepnsurf (3152 posts) -
@NoodleFighter said:

We're already at the point where PC on high settings is night and day with consoles. Consoles graphics are the equivalent to medium/low settings of games nowadays.

The only parts you need to upgrade on your PC are the CPU and GPU and $500 is more than enough to get it ahead of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. For $500 you can upgrade to a Ryzen 5 CPU and RTX 2060 you'll be leagues above the Xbox One X in graphics. Hell you could probably cheap out and stick with your FX 6300 a bit longer.

For $750 nowadays you can build yourself a 1440p max settings gaming rig. A 1080p gaming rig can easily be built for $500.

Sorry but that is a bad comparison. RDR2 on the X looks miles above most PC games and PS4 Poo. Bad sample. Look at Far Cry 5, it looks just as good on a $400 X as it does a $1000 computer.