pc gaming is cheap if you only want cosole graphics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

here in nz ps3 $1200, x360 $720 + $40 for recaragbke battery pack

amd 64 3800x2 $105

320gb hdd $130

memory $60 per 1gig chip

7900gs $240/ 8600gt $205

mother board $100

case and p/s $50

dvd writter $45 

so $635 for a good gaming pc, so explain how pc gaming is expencive?  pkus $100 vs $130 for games or $130 vs $60 if you buy games on steam or dircet 2 drive, os $100 so even with all the hardare and os x360 cost just as much as a good pc.

what console fans don;t get is x360 still costs what it cost at launch while back then a dual core procesor costed you $800nzd while now it will cost you $150nzd for the same cpu, same goes for the gpu, ram etc etc pc prices drop very fas unlike console prices

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

1) Why in God's name did you include the rechargable battery packs, and WHY is the 360 listed at $720?

2) Are you True_Gamers_ alt?

oback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 oback
Member since 2004 • 7151 Posts
learn to type before you make threads.
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

ahhh boy you must think people are stupid...

A. You honestly think a cheap $50's case PSU voltage lines are gonan hold up to a dual core DX9/DX10 setup? I don't think so...

B. Where in the hell do you get 720 for a 360? It's 400 if you wanna include the HDD...and you don't need to spend $40 on a battery kit...but good try adding cost. You could argue the online costs, but what if somebody don't play online that much?

Face it, the PC has a higher wall on cost, your assumpion is that every gamer is spending what you throw on here. I build PC's as a hobby...facts are facts...consoles are a better value over a longer period of time. PC technology just moves to rapidly, and while they are more powerful, they are NEVER fully used to the potential due to lowest common denomintor.

Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Metroid_Time
Member since 2006 • 2225 Posts
Plus 50 dollars more and you can hook a 360 controller up to your computer in case you don't like keybaord/mouse.
Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Metroid_Time
Member since 2006 • 2225 Posts

B. Where in the hell do you get 720 for a 360? It's 400 if you wanna include the HDD...and you don't need to spend $40 on a battery kit...but good try adding cost. You could argue the online costs, but what if somebody don't play online that much?

Innovazero2000

-_- It's new zealand prices obviously. 

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37792 Posts
I never buy a case with a power supply. Power supplies should be bought separately. And yes, you could build that PC with a bunch of no name parts, but why? cheaping out on a crappy MB and a weak power supply will only hurt you in the long run. I would never build a PC with those specs. If you can't do it right don't do it at all. It will only wind up costing you more in the long run.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

I never buy a case with a power supply. Power supplies should be bought separately. And yes, you could build that PC with a bunch of no name parts, but why? cheaping out on a crappy MB and a weak power supply will only hurt you in the long run. I would never build a PC with those specs. If you can't do it right don't do it at all. It will only wind up costing you more in the long run.heretrix

It really steams me when people try to pull this kind of crap off. Adding stuff like BATTERY PACKS to the consoles and using the prices of cheap, inferior products for the PC...makes me ashamed to be a PC gamer.

makemeweak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 makemeweak
Member since 2005 • 1137 Posts
TC is right, as far as getting graphics on par with console games. It doesn't take much of a machine at all to run games in "HD". 1080p - it would be terrible if we had to limit our games on PC to resolutions as low as 1080p.  There isn't (and probably will never be) a console game that wouldn't run better on a PC (assuming it was optimized to do so). Plus, PC games encompass a greater variety of genres, which is a nice bonus. I think my wife might play 360 if it had a mouse and spider solitaire. Good thing it doesn't, though because then I would have to share.
Coldplay07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Coldplay07
Member since 2002 • 4513 Posts
People don't seem to understand that consoles cost a lot more in territories outside of the US. In NZ it's much better to just build a gaming PC. In the US, it's cheaper and more convenient to buy a console for most people.
SKOPY291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 SKOPY291
Member since 2005 • 209 Posts
Hey man... you forgot the price of Vista. I'd also factor in the convenience charge of having a console, for some people constantly upgrading their computer to get the most out of their gaming and then making sure everything works properly just isn't something they want, nor have the time to learn how to do. And as I said if you're upgrading your PC at least once a year to keep up with the changing suggested specs you're dumping more into a system which isn't an option for most PC gamers. Personally, I believe that you'll eventually spend more on a computer and that's okay because you can get a lot out of a computer.
SKOPY291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SKOPY291

People don't seem to understand that consoles cost a lot more in territories outside of the US. In NZ it's much better to just build a gaming PC. In the US, it's cheaper and more convenient to buy a console for most people.Coldplay07

This is a good point... I wish I would have had the foresight to make a comment about that. I still believe that in the same time as a console cycle you could still end up paying more updating your computer to keep up then you would in a console. It all depends how much you're willing to spend in half a decades time

ball_of_air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ball_of_air
Member since 2007 • 2105 Posts

TC is right, as far as getting graphics on par with console games. It doesn't take much of a machine at all to run games in "HD". 1080p - it would be terrible if we had to limit our games on PC to resolutions as low as 1080p.makemeweak

Are you talking about 2560x1600?

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

[QUOTE="makemeweak"]TC is right, as far as getting graphics on par with console games. It doesn't take much of a machine at all to run games in "HD". 1080p - it would be terrible if we had to limit our games on PC to resolutions as low as 1080p.ball_of_air

I don't think many people game at that high a res.
ball_of_air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ball_of_air
Member since 2007 • 2105 Posts
[QUOTE="ball_of_air"]

[QUOTE="makemeweak"]TC is right, as far as getting graphics on par with console games. It doesn't take much of a machine at all to run games in "HD". 1080p - it would be terrible if we had to limit our games on PC to resolutions as low as 1080p.achilles614

I don't think many people game at that high a res.

Yeah, but it can be done.

Hater3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hater3000
Member since 2007 • 2310 Posts

The only problem in my case is find a good Nvidia Gforce and a new Intel Dual core or Quad core Extreme  but unfortunately there isn't a computer store near to where i live so i can only buy them on my vacations or by import.

Also that i only want it to play Crysis and WoW.

Macolele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Macolele
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts

amd 64 3800x2 $105

320gb hdd $130

memory $60 per 1gig chip

7900gs $240/ 8600gt $205

mother board $100

case and p/s $50

dvd writter $45 

so $635 for a good gaming pc, so explain how pc gaming is expencive?  pkus $100 vs $130 for games or $130 vs $60 if you buy games on steam or dircet 2 drive, os $100 so even with all the hardare and os x360 cost just as much as a good pc.

what console fans don;t get is x360 still costs what it cost at launch while back then a dual core procesor costed you $800nzd while now it will cost you $150nzd for the same cpu, same goes for the gpu, ram etc etc pc prices drop very fas unlike console prices

imprezawrx500
Cheap !!! LOL Im sure you have ever played Lost Planet or Dirt. In my mind, PC is cheaper because I can work and do all things which not console can do.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="Coldplay07"]People don't seem to understand that consoles cost a lot more in territories outside of the US. In NZ it's much better to just build a gaming PC. In the US, it's cheaper and more convenient to buy a console for most people.SKOPY291

This is a good point... I wish I would have had the foresight to make a comment about that. I still believe that in the same time as a console cycle you could still end up paying more updating your computer to keep up then you would in a console. It all depends how much you're willing to spend in half a decades time

Not really. You don't need to upgrade more often than every two years. So you will end up spending about 1800$ on hardware through whole console gen.Now...with PC you can use all you old accessories, with consoles you have to buy new pads, wheels, cables etc every time .On PC online gaming is free, on 360 you have to pay.But the biggest diffrence is in game prices. In Europe console games cost a bit aroufn 30$ more than PC ones. Even if you buy merely one game each month you will still end up spending around 2000$ more for console games than you would on PC for the same ammount of games. THat's more than enough for upgrades in 6 years

US and Japan are bassicaly the only places where console gaming is truly cheaper than Pc gaming(altough even there the diffrence is getting smaller). It's funny that people bash PCgaming for being expensive and yet in most poor or medium rich countries PCgaming dwarfs console gaming in popularity. 

makemeweak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 makemeweak
Member since 2005 • 1137 Posts

Hey man... you forgot the price of Vista. I'd also factor in the convenience charge of having a console, for some people constantly upgrading their computer to get the most out of their gaming and then making sure everything works properly just isn't something they want, nor have the time to learn how to do. And as I said if you're upgrading your PC at least once a year to keep up with the changing suggested specs you're dumping more into a system which isn't an option for most PC gamers. Personally, I believe that you'll eventually spend more on a computer and that's okay because you can get a lot out of a computer. SKOPY291

You wouldn't need Vista to match the graphics of console games, just XP or Linux. Also, you wouldn't need to upgrade to keep on the same playing field as consoles, only if you wanted something that could do better. I believe TC's point is that console quality graphics don't require a huge investment, not that PC gaming isn't expensive to upgrade.

Avatar image for Jin_the_samurai
Jin_the_samurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jin_the_samurai
Member since 2006 • 623 Posts

My gaming PC cost me around $1,500s, I asked experts if I could get a good gaming PC with $700-$800 and almost all of them said no which is already more expensive than consoles. With $600 invested in a gaming PC you can not get graphics like the PS3, nor with a $400 gaming PC can you get graphics like the 360. Overall consoles are just plain out cheaper and you don't need to worry about running a game but in the end if you pimp out your PC you can get amazing results that are beyond consoles like Crysis.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
It's cheap if you only want to play FPS, RPG and RTS. Sadly i like a lot more games than that and there is no way you can build a nice PC with the price of a 360.
SKOPY291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SKOPY291

[QUOTE="SKOPY291"]Hey man... you forgot the price of Vista. I'd also factor in the convenience charge of having a console, for some people constantly upgrading their computer to get the most out of their gaming and then making sure everything works properly just isn't something they want, nor have the time to learn how to do. And as I said if you're upgrading your PC at least once a year to keep up with the changing suggested specs you're dumping more into a system which isn't an option for most PC gamers. Personally, I believe that you'll eventually spend more on a computer and that's okay because you can get a lot out of a computer. makemeweak

You wouldn't need Vista to match the graphics of console games, just XP or Linux. Also, you wouldn't need to upgrade to keep on the same playing field as consoles, only if you wanted something that could do better. I believe TC's point is that console quality graphics don't require a huge investment, not that PC gaming isn't expensive to upgrade.

I did miss that part about console graphics... I still believe it is a valid point... perhaps not as much for this board as I originally thought

dimar19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dimar19
Member since 2006 • 4608 Posts

Epic said GeOW possible on PC in five years.

LOL at hermits

Taz720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Taz720
Member since 2006 • 826 Posts

1) Why in God's name did you include the rechargable battery packs, and WHY is the 360 listed at $720?

Verge_6

Yeah he likes to make the same topic every week:?

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 imprezawrx500

Verge_6

they are new zealand prices. what are you going to play with when you have flat batteries?

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 imprezawrx500

[QUOTE="heretrix"]I never buy a case with a power supply. Power supplies should be bought separately. And yes, you could build that PC with a bunch of no name parts, but why? cheaping out on a crappy MB and a weak power supply will only hurt you in the long run. I would never build a PC with those specs. If you can't do it right don't do it at all. It will only wind up costing you more in the long run.Verge_6

It really steams me when people try to pull this kind of crap off. Adding stuff like BATTERY PACKS to the consoles and using the prices of cheap, inferior products for the PC...makes me ashamed to be a PC gamer.

and the 360 has the best hardware ever, you can't play your 360 with no power in your controller

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 imprezawrx500

Hey man... you forgot the price of Vista. I'd also factor in the convenience charge of having a console, for some people constantly upgrading their computer to get the most out of their gaming and then making sure everything works properly just isn't something they want, nor have the time to learn how to do. And as I said if you're upgrading your PC at least once a year to keep up with the changing suggested specs you're dumping more into a system which isn't an option for most PC gamers. Personally, I believe that you'll eventually spend more on a computer and that's okay because you can get a lot out of a computer. SKOPY291

add another $120nzd then

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Don't ever buy a cheap power supply. Trust me. :o

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 imprezawrx500

Don't ever buy a cheap power supply. Trust me. :o

PS3_3DO

true but it doesn't take much relablity to match the amazing relability of the 360. When the 360's stop breaking down then I may get one. the 360 p/s is much worse than even a generic p/s, not to mention its terrable cooling system, a headsink off a radeon x300 for its gpu :lol: 2 tiny 40mm fans which hardly move air unless you want a screming noise. A power brick should be able to be chucked in the cable mess but not with x360

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

LOL at hermits

dimar19
But UT3 has "Gears Plus Graphics" and it is coming out sooner than 5 years.;)
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
[QUOTE="dimar19"]

LOL at hermits

smokeydabear076
But UT3 has "Gears Plus Graphics" and it is coming out sooner than 5 years.;)

LOL at hermits

dimar19

lets not forget epic also said the 360 is a "low to mid end" PC.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

My gaming PC cost me around $1,500s, I asked experts if I could get a good gaming PC with $700-$800 and almost all of them said no which is already more expensive than consoles. With $600 invested in a gaming PC you can not get graphics like the PS3, nor with a $400 gaming PC can you get graphics like the 360. Overall consoles are just plain out cheaper and you don't need to worry about running a game but in the end if you pimp out your PC you can get amazing results that are beyond consoles like Crysis.

Jin_the_samurai

But with a $400/$600 upgrade, you absolutely can.

That's what buying a console is. An upgrade. You ditch the Xbox and buy a 360.

projectpat2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 projectpat2007
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

amd 64 3800x2 $105

320gb hdd $130

memory $60 per 1gig chip

7900gs $240/ 8600gt $205

mother board $100

case and p/s $50

dvd writter $45

so $635 for a good gaming pc, so explain how pc gaming is expencive? pkus $100 vs $130 for games or $130 vs $60 if you buy games on steam or dircet 2 drive, os $100 so even with all the hardare and os x360 cost just as much as a good pc.

imprezawrx500

This is better:

CHENMING CMUI-601AEB-W Black 1.0mm SECC Server Computer Case - $50.99
BIOSTAR TForce965PT LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard- $51.99
Leadtek PX8800 GTS TDH 320MB Extreme GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - $259.99*
Topower/Epower ZUMAX ZU-500W X2 500W 20/24pin ATX V2.0 Power Supply - $35.95 -
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4300 1.8GHz 800MHz 2MB LGA775 CPU, OEM - $104.00 (ResellerRatings)
ASUS Silent Square 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - $13.99
PNY 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $49.99*

SAMSUNG Black 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology - $26.99
Maxtor DiamondMax 21 STM3320820AS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $69.99
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium - $64.99
Ideazon MERC Gaming Keyboard - $17.90 (ResellerRatings)
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse PC Gaming w/ Adjustable Weights - $39.20*

Total Price: $730.02

• Chenming AE-601 full tower case (Chenming AE-601 Review)
  • Intel P965: The Double Mint Twins Gone Wild
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS (The GeForce 8800 GTS with 320 MB memory)
  • 500W power supply with +12V rails combined @ 38A (eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5)
    • ||http://forums.guru3d.com/images/icons/icon2.gifMore
  • OC friendly E4300 processor (Intel Core 2 Duo E4300: Affordable and Highly Overclockable)
  • ASUS Silent Square CPU cooler (ASUS Silent Square CPU Cooler: New Candidate for Super Cooler Title?)
  • 2GB PC2 5300 memory (Intel Core 2: Is high speed memory worth its price?)
  • DVD burner
  • 320GB SATA II hard drive (Benchmark Results of 17 Hard Drives)
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (Vista Upgrade Limitations Workaround)
  • Ideazon MERC keyboard (ZBoard MERC Gaming Keyboard Review)
  • Logitech G5 mouse (Logitech G5 Laser Mouse Review)