PC games have surpassed console games globally

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

Apparently according to some analysts.

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/pc-games-have-surpassed-console-games-globally/033849

The PC games market has now surpassed the console gaming sector in terms of revenues, an analyst has claimed.

DFC Intelligence owner David Cole told PCR: "On a global basis PC games have surpassed console games but the new console systems means consoles should show an increase.

"Among core gamers there is a heavy overlap with most console gamers also playing on a PC. The big difference is that consoles are now the luxury item and PCs are the necessity. Just a few years ago the reverse was true. This means PCs have the broader audience."

DFC previously predicted that PC gaming would eclipse console gaming by 2015, and earlier this year it said that the PC gaming market would exceed $25 billion in 2014.

The news comes after DFC published its latest quarterly paid-for report on PC gaming revenues and usage.

In terms of the most popular PC games, DFC says that MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena)titles and free-to-play games are continuing to perform strongly.

"The MOBA games League of Legends and Dota 2 dominate everything else by an order of magnitude in terms of more usage than other products," added Cole. "In the first part of 2014 we saw some signs that may change with the introduction of new titles and some increased play of games outside the MOBA category.

"But MOBA is dominant. Beyond that it is a nice mix of MMO, strategy and first person shooter.

"We can say that our top 20 list for 2013 had no titles released that year and in Q1 2014 we saw three new titles crack the list: DayZ, Rust and Hearthstone.

"PC player hours have also been remarkably consistent. We had expected hours to fall in 2013 because there were not any major new releases. However, hours were actually flat with 2012 which bodes very well for the market going forward as more triple-A titles are released."

Cole said that Europe has been a big driver of PC trends in recent years especially around free-to-play games, and that the big trend emerging from the US is likely to be more triple-A titles released for console and PC.

He also anticipates an increasing crossover between different platforms.

"There is a blurring of platforms where it starts to get hard to define what is a PC and what is a mobile device," Cole explained.

"Hearthstone was a great example of this as it released for both PC and iPad. Not all games fit that model but as we mentioned core gamers now tend to play on multiple devices."

Console gaming dying? Discuss!

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Dying? no

In trouble? hell yes.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

This really isn't going to go well. Predicting a few overly excited herms, a few extremely butthurt cows, one or two lems wanting to be in the discussion, and then suppaman100 will come in, mention GOTY, and we'll all argue about that for 3 pages..

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@melonfarmerz: No point in me coming back into this thread now that you've told me it's future.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 melonfarmerz

@gameofthering said:

@melonfarmerz: No point in me coming back into this thread now that you've told me it's future.

Implying every thread regarding PC doesn't end in the exact same way...

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@GiantAssPanda: At one point Console Gaming was over 80 billion a year, so I'm not sure how true this analyst is. I know console gaming revenue had dropped some do to the shortage of games at the end of last gen systems and the Wii being pulled from retailers. There hasn't be a whole lot of 5-6 million selling games on consoles in awhile. It does still have a lot of DD purchases though and I wonder if any of these figures are included. There are also a lot less game developers now then when the PS2 and Xbox were on the market. There used to be 100's of dedicate console game developers. Now we have more Indie developers it seems. Console gaming will start to grow again with the new consoles now on the market. 2014 should see a nice increase in sales across the board.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By melonfarmerz

@blackace said:

@GiantAssPanda: At one point Console Gaming was over 80 billion a year, so I'm not sure how true this analyst is. I know console gaming revenue had dropped some do to the shortage of games at the end of last gen systems and the Wii being pulled from retailers. There hasn't be a whole lot of 5-6 million selling games on consoles in awhile. It does still have a lot of DD purchases though and I wonder if any of these figures are included. There are also a lot less game developers now then when the PS2 and Xbox were on the market. There used to be 100's of dedicate console game developers. Now we have more Indie developers it seems. Console gaming will start to grow again with the new consoles now on the market. 2014 should see a nice increase in sales across the board.

Honestly, all that stuff you said about PS2 and back when console had 100s of dedicated devs, those were the glory days for consoles. IMO, consoles will still grow indefinitely along with the growth of gaming but that growth might resemble a radical function. The rate at which the growth occurs is slowing down and will be nowhere near what it was in the early and mid 2000s. That's not to say the console market will stop growing anytime soon though. There's simply too many people yet to get into gaming and when you want to start out with something easy to use and accessible, console wins 9 out of 10 times, regardless of whether or not that's a misconception.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@blackace: It will take a lot for the console market to grow again considering all 3 major companies in console gaming have been going through their share of hardships

let's not forget that there's also a lot of things console gaming has done that has turned people away from buying games (on-disc DLC, microtransactions, aliens colonial marines, AAA titles that flop, just to name a few)

Console gaming has become less convenient for the average joe since the end of last gen, ease of use ended when online became a thing

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

So in other words console were ahead before.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By melonfarmerz

@Sushiglutton said:

I'm pretty sure 100% of people on this forum knew that...

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Dying? no

In trouble? hell yes.

>Bigger than entire console market

>in trouble

Alrighty then.

Edit: nevermind -_-

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 melonfarmerz

@Vaasman said:

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Dying? no

In trouble? hell yes.

>in trouble

Alrighty then.

Ya pretty sure he was referring to consoles lol.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

@Sushiglutton said:

You obviously haven't met the hermits ;)

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

@Vaasman said:

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Dying? no

In trouble? hell yes.

>in trouble

Alrighty then.

Ya pretty sure he was referring to consoles lol.

I got that a little too late. D:

Aint deleting the post tho.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

but that revenue comes from a few games in particular like league of legends, dota and shit like that. When it comes to games like dark souls, call of duty or batman they sell the most on consoles.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#17  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Nothing's dying.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

I wonder if there's a burger place in America where you can order a "Steven Spielburger".

Like, there has to be.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 melonfarmerz

@Gue1 said:

but that revenue comes from a few games in particular like league of legends, dota and shit like that. When it comes to games like dark souls, call of duty or batman they sell the most on consoles.

Pretty sure COD and FIFA account for a massive portion of console revenue.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blackace

@melonfarmerz said:

@blackace said:

Honestly, all that stuff you said about PS2 and back when console had 100s of dedicated devs, those were the glory days for consoles. IMO, consoles will still grow indefinitely along with the growth of gaming but that growth might resemble a radical function. The rate at which the growth occurs is slowing down and will be nowhere near what it was in the early and mid 2000s. That's not to say the console market will stop growing anytime soon though. There's simply too many people yet to get into gaming and when you want to start out with something easy to use and accessible, console wins 9 out of 10 times, regardless of whether or not that's a misconception.

It'll never be the same as it was back in 2000 because making big budget games cost millions now. It's a lot easier to have a smaller team and make the game on PC as there's no licensing fees and you don't have to worry about pressure from big time publishers. Then these teams just sell their games to Steam, Origin or a publisher and make their profit. It just cost a lot more to make a console game now. The profits are a lot lower then back when the XBox and PS2 were on the market. The huge recession didn't help either. There are still millions and millions of people out of work, that weren't back in early 2000. A lot less people with money to burn. PC gaming is growing because it's a lot cheaper now. Same with tablet and smart phone games. $2-$10 for a decent game is a good deal. When you have millions of people buying them, that market is going to grow. What will happen with game consoles is it will become more like STEAM and Origin. Actually it's already heading in that direction now. OnDemand games is just the beginning. Wait until these games start dropping in price like on STEAM.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Not surprising. F2P games have been able to exploit new markets where consoles are just too expensive to be viable for your average consumer.

There is a reason most F2P game's graphics are usually pretty simple or very scale able, they need to run the games on a very wide variety of hardware. A lot of the new markets that have been opened up usually aren't the ones that have a lot of money for large upgrades.

There is also much higher profit margins on the PC. Dev costs are a bit lower but the vast majority of sales are through DD where there's not a lot of overhead that comes with physical copies. This has helped pushed games into those new markets as well.

Console game revenues were higher than PC game revenues partly due to how expensive each game was. The markets that console thrive in can afford the more expensive games. Volume wise console gaming has always been more popular in most countries. That's changed slowly with the rise of Eastern Europe and South American gamers who much prefer the PC over consoles due to price and availability. Companies have also done a better job of localizing their games to these regions so piracy rates have fallen.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Enjoy your victory Hermits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

When like 70 percent of that revenue comes from MMOs and Facebook games I wouldnt exactly call that a victory

inb4madherms

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 melonfarmerz

@Vatusus said:

When like 70 percent of that revenue comes from MMOs and Facebook games I wouldnt exactly call that a victory

inb4madherms

Yup. F2P entitles Farmville and not LoL or DOTA or PS2 or TF2. The farmville type of game is solely mobile now. Thanks for the 5 year old misconceptions though.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
@Vatusus said:

inb4madherms

Two biggest money makers in the world for video games right now are League of Legends and World of Tanks. Neither is a MMO and World of Tanks is on the Xbox 360, though I don't think it's ever going to do as well as the PC version.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blackace

@Wasdie said:
@Vatusus said:

inb4madherms

Two biggest money makers in the world for video games right now are League of Legends and World of Tanks. Neither is a MMO and World of Tanks is on the Xbox 360, though I don't think it's ever going to do as well as the PC version.

Probably not, but Minecraft is probably bigger then World of Tanks and it has done very well on the XBox 360. We'll see how well it does on the PS3 next.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

Umm, what? No major new releases for PC in all of 2013?

@GiantAssPanda said:

"PC player hours have also been remarkably consistent. We had expected hours to fall in 2013 because there were not any major new releases. "

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Makes sense. The PC has a far wider array of games.

Avatar image for Sharp-Shooter89
Sharp-Shooter89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sharp-Shooter89
Member since 2012 • 128 Posts
@Sushiglutton said:

@melonfarmerz said:

@Sushiglutton said:

yes 360,ps3 combined was beating pc. 2 platforms vs 1, congrats on your victory corporate slave

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts
@Sharp-Shooter89 said:
@Sushiglutton said:

@melonfarmerz said:

@Sushiglutton said:

yes 360,ps3 combined was beating pc. 2 platforms vs 1, congrats on your victory corporate slave

3 vs 1

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GiantAssPanda

Kind of surprised that this didn't turn into a full blown sh*tstorm. And kind of disappointed as well since it's fun to watch nerds raging all over :P

System wars has matured?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#33 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

This really isn't going to go well. Predicting a few overly excited herms, a few extremely butthurt cows, one or two lems wanting to be in the discussion, and then suppaman100 will come in, mention GOTY, and we'll all argue about that for 3 pages..

This ^^

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_imperium
@Sushiglutton said:

Yeah consoles like PS , Xbox , Nintendo platforms combined together against single platform PC were a bit ahead . Now PC is ahead even if you combine all of them . I think that's something .

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@GiantAssPanda said:

Kind of surprised that this didn't turn into a full blown sh*tstorm. And kind of disappointed as well since it's fun to watch nerds raging all over :P

System wars has matured?

Nah, the only thing that is at risk of dying is GameSpot's System Wars. The only major posters that are still here either don't have an account at GAF or simply don't care for the site.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Dying? no

In trouble? hell yes.

increasing sales, more devs, more aaa/aa games.

in big trouble.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jankarcop

@Vatusus said:

inb4madherms

1. Last time we had a detailed chart, Facebook games only made up 10% of entire PC gaming revenue.

2. Whats wrong with MMO? Am I missing something here? Should I exclude movie-game titles from console sales?

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

If you look at the rest of the neogaf thread you ripped this from, you would have seen that this is misleading and pretty much false.This is from last year before new consoles launched

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/x360-aaron-greenberg-industry-growth

The analyst is including facebook farm crap and chess and checkers or whatever people play in the web browser. And, there's a lot of shitty f2p and foreign games that earn a lot of revenue in Asia because they can't get consoles over there. They barely started lifting restrictions on consoles in China like last year.

I don't think pc gaming is dying, it's just changing because the average pc gamer is not playing the same games as the average one from 10 years ago because of growing foreign markets and traditional pc gamers aging out of the market and moving on to other hobbies. The market will continue reflect that.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

I wish console gaming collapses once again just to show that corporations can't shove everything down our throat.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Glorious Master Race, that is all.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cloud_imperium
@Jankarcop said:

@Vatusus said:

inb4madherms

1. Last time we had a detailed chart, Facebook games only made up 10% of entire PC gaming revenue.

2. Whats wrong with MMO? Am I missing something here? Should I exclude movie-game titles from console sales?

They just forget that most of console revenue is based on crap like COD , rip offs like Subscription fees , Season Passes , On disc DLCs and so on .

So sad that even GTA V couldn't help consoles to fall behind PC .

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jankarcop

@mr-powers said:

If you look at the rest of the neogaf thread you ripped this from, you would have seen that this is misleading and pretty much false.This is from last year before new consoles launched

http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/x360-aaron-greenberg-industry-growth

The analyst is including facebook farm crap and chess and checkers or whatever people play in the web browser. And, there's a lot of shitty f2p and foreign games that earn a lot of revenue in Asia because they can't get consoles over there. They barely started lifting restrictions on consoles in China like last year.

I don't think pc gaming is dying, it's just changing because the average pc gamer is not playing the same games as the average one from 10 years ago because of growing foreign markets and traditional pc gamers aging out of the market and moving on to other hobbies. The market will continue reflect that.

Bullshit. Your link is 1 year old, the OP's is 1 day old. GTFO here with your yearly sports rehashes, nintendo casual garbage, and movie-games that are not even games. We count those, yet we can't count MMO and F2P which score AAA? **** off.

Consolites, spreading lies and misinformation.

Avatar image for deactivated-585ea4b128526
deactivated-585ea4b128526

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-585ea4b128526
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

It is 2014, there is nothing a pc can do, that my iPhone cannot. And the quality of pc games is just getting sad.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By melonfarmerz

"There is nothing a pc can do, that my iPhone cannot" you realize consoles are weak PC's. So you kind of called out both groups there. Nonetheless, you are a good example of why a basic understanding of tech can go a long way... You're technologically illiterate.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GiantAssPanda

@joehult said:

It is 2014, there is nothing a pc can do, that my iPhone cannot. And the quality of pc games is just getting sad.

Yes. When I think of iPhone games, quality is the first word that comes to my mind.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45999 Posts

@joehult said:

With a mentality like that I expect a very sad future indeed. Not for PC gaming, for gaming in general.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@GiantAssPanda said:

System wars has matured?

Trolls usually don't show up in threads like these , where they can't hide behind lies and are exposed .

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#48  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Pretty impressive actually, considering they are factoring all 3 major console manufacturers vs PC. Very positive news for the health of PC gaming.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@joehult said:

those video and image editing on a tablet are a pure pleasure especially when we talk about 1080p video. Let alone all that quality gaming on ipad

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cloud_imperium

@joehult said:

Pretty sure you are enjoying games like DayZ , ArmA 3 , Starcraft 2 , COH , FEAR , Swat 4 , STALKER , Crysis etc plus superior multiplatforms on you iPhone right now because you said your iPhone can do anything PC related .