PC Gamer magazine port begs for Nintendo on PC... again.

• 79 results
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

PC Gamer

True exclusives are a dying breed. Even notorious crossplay-hater and exclusive-haver Sony has capitulated, letting us play the likes of Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding and Days Gone on PC. Now platform owners talk about "console exclusives", because chances are the game will end up appearing in PC stores. Despite this, there's been no movement from Nintendo, which continues to despise sharing.

Nintendo being Nintendo, it's not really that surprising. It always likes to be difficult and has made a tradition out of doing its own thing. You can always tell when you're looking at a Nintendo game because its philosophy and design sensibilities are always clear as day, and rarely ape what the competition is doing. At every point, whether it's game prices or online multiplayer, Mario Corp does whatever it wants. But that would also give it an advantage if it started making PC ports.

One of the big risks for a platform owner considering opening things up is that it could devalue the console it depends on. The Switch has been a huge success, and we can expect another bump when Nintendo eventually launched the new version. It doesn't want PC ports to cannibalise all those potential Switch numbers.

Nintendo has said as much. "We are aware that many consumers play PC games," former Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima told shareholders in a 2017 Q&A. "However, we believe that the integrated hardware-software business is the best way for us to provide the surprises and new gameplay experiences that we want to achieve."

Kimishima went on to suggest that the PC wasn't even that lucrative, mostly based on what he saw at E3 that year. "In the past I have seen a number of exhibition booths at E3 where dozens of PCs lined the hall for consumers to try out network experiences. However, at E3 this year, there were not many gaming PC exhibits or VR exhibits, which captured significant attention last year."

E3 used to be a terrible place to gauge the popularity of PC games, and we now know he was way off base anyway. This year, we hardly saw a single game that wasn't coming out on PC, along with hundreds that will be PC exclusives. The actual numbers don't back up Kimishima's assessment either. GDC surveys consistently place PC at the top, as devs' platform of choice, while more than half of gamers play on PC.

Besides, Nintendo has been putting crappier versions of its big series on mobile for years, so it's not like it's entirely adverse to expanding what platforms it takes advantage of. Notably, however, these games don't compete with games on Switch, as they're designed specifically for mobile. Thanks to the accepted shady business practices, it's also a lot easier for a big publisher like Nintendo to make a fast buck when tossing something onto a phone.

Ultimately, though, I don't think PC ports would be the threat Nintendo expects. Microsoft and Sony have just been making increasingly large PCs for years, to the point that, now, it almost seems silly to own a powerful PC and a PS5 or Xbox Series X. This is especially true of the Xbox, where there's almost complete parity with PC. We don't have exact figures from Microsoft, but apparently the Xbox Series X and S marked the biggest Xbox launch ever. And it doesn't even have any system-sellers.

If Microsoft and Sony don't see it as a threat, Nintendo certainly shouldn't. Its consoles don't have anything that really compares. The Switch isn't just another PC, and like every Nintendo console before it—with the exception of the WiiU—it's loved for more than just the games available on it. Even a PC diehard like myself has to admit that there's nothing like the joy that comes from playing something on that lovely handheld. I'm still waiting for a reason to buy one of the latest generation of consoles, but I always know I'll buy whatever Nintendo is making.

Rather than cannibalising players, I suspect PC ports would only increase Nintendo's audience, and then help Switch sales. There are already several games that I've played on PC first, before buying the Switch version. Games like Stardew Valley, Into the Breach and Slay the Spire just feel better on a handheld, and the older I get, the more I enjoy playing games in my bed between leisurely naps.

Nintendo, you've got nothing to worry about. People just want to play your games. Go on and throw them a bone.

Wow... even when Nintendo is successful, people still ask Nintendo to go third party and pull a Sega. I have my views on why that should never happen, and not because of some "selfish" (irony) reason, more of a "it's complicated" and "audience isn't there" reason...

More I think about it, I've never seen a PlayStation or XBOX centric publication ask for this. PC Gamer might as well give up in asking.

Further ironic, Nintendo fans get slack for port begging, but when everyone else does it, especially towards Nintendo's own games, "listen to them".

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

PC Beggar race for a reason. Luckily a certain "simulation" is getting a lot of news recently about its ability to run Nintendo titles getting far, far better.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

Cool

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44031 Posts

Xbox does what Nintendont. lol :P

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Lol, they’re already playable on emulators and are far better than the Switch versions there.

PC is all three consoles combined at this point.

Stay mad, peasants.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

PC gamer Mags has been doing that for years just to get clicks for revenue, so this is nothing new.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Well you can already play games at 4k.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2249 Posts

Those 2017 news, soo relevant in 2021….🙄🙄

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

The gaming market is changing and folks who are looking at gaming in the traditional way are going to get left behind. Mark my words.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@Pedro said:

The gaming market is changing and folks who are looking at gaming in the traditional way are going to get left behind. Mark my words.

I'm not ready to live in a Dystopia world😥

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Nintendo is to shit scared of piracy to put their games on the PC.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pedro

@davillain- said:

I'm not ready to live in a Dystopia world😥

What are talking about?

@gym_lion said:

Too late.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Pedro: Sorry, but I can't help but chuckle when you say things like this. 🤭

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58842 Posts

@gym_lion said:

They hate PC pirates almost as much as they hate their fanbase.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Must not be aware that Nintendo fans bring most of the games to PC themselves.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@gym_lion said:

They hate PC pirates almost as much as they hate their fanbase.

I believe Melee fans draw the most ire from Nintendo.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1392 Posts

@gym_lion said:

All in all Nintendo, since they develop their own games and put a lot of resources into, unlike Valve or MS for example, don't want to devaluate the Nintendo brand and everything associated with down to trash level. What would inevatibly happen. BigN is comparetively small and specialized, they cant be careless and simply shut down studio after studio when they dont make enough profit and leech off the work and creativity of others while giving a s*it about product value and market equilibrium, like Valve or MS for example. Remaining in their own little space in order to stay in full control.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fedor

@palasta said:
@gym_lion said:

All in all Nintendo, since they develop their own games and put a lot of resources into, unlike Valve or MS for example, don't want to devaluate the Nintendo brand and everything associated with down to trash level. What would inevatibly happen. BigN is comparetively small and specialized, they cant be careless and simply shut down studio after studio when they dont make enough profit and leech off the work and creativity of others while giving a s*it about product value and market equilibrium, like Valve or MS for example. Remaining in their own little space in order to stay in full control.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Luckily for them, the fans do their own "porting."

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Lol, they’re already playable on emulators and are far better than the Switch versions there.

PC is all three consoles combined at this point.

Stay mad, peasants.

The emulators are another big reason for Nintendo to release on pc imo. Most people won’t pirate if there’s a reasonable alternative, because of the hassle (it’s pretty easy, but still)

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Well yeah, why would Nintendo want to port to PC? If they're games where on PC they couldn't lock quality of life gameplay features behind $30 dollar toy figures (update, that toy is now around $60) and may be pressed to do 50% off sales for games on PC. Nintendo couldn't charge for their sub par online, and *gasp* think of the Mods! That's unacceptable for Nintendo, too much freedom for the consumer. You can't be the Kim Jong-Un of gaming and dictate content your base gets with an iron fist if you leave your own country.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@rmiller365 said:

*gasp* think of the Mods!

If the fans can actually mod an emulated game, imagine if it's a native port.

Loading Video...

Hell, you can port the mods into the Wii-U lol

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

This is really not a good look for us PC gamers. We have the money and can buy a Switch. There's no reason to port beg.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-611edca0d6021
@Pedro said:

Nintendo is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED! I TELL YA!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12902 Posts

@Pedro said:

I totally agree. While I own all the consoles and enjoy them, I am not blind to seeing how it's trending. I just enjoy playing great games. I think I will only be saddened the day I wouldn't be able to play them on my big screen. Hopefully that will always be a thing. My Switch is always docked, as I am not a portable gamer.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The article is written like a petulant child. The entitlement is oozing from the words. I'm thinking it would be funny to see Nintendo and then Sony give the PC user base the middle finger given how they act and either outright deny or cancel PC ports altogether.

It's obvious people today don't appreciate anything but simply demand and expect what was it... oh yeah... "capitulation". I'm betting the lack of appreciation will change soon though given what's going on in the world. We're on the verge of a third World War and when that happens, we'll all see nothing new created and only destruction. You'll miss being entitled assuming you survive it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#27 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@rmiller365 said:

Well yeah, why would Nintendo want to port to PC? If they're games where on PC they couldn't lock quality of life gameplay features behind $30 dollar toy figures (update, that toy is now around $60) and may be pressed to do 50% off sales for games on PC. Nintendo couldn't charge for their sub par online, and *gasp* think of the Mods! That's unacceptable for Nintendo, too much freedom for the consumer. You can't be the Kim Jong-Un of gaming and dictate content your base gets with an iron fist if you leave your own country.

Oookayyy... um, we need alternate terms for Godwin's Law.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58842 Posts

@Telekill said:

The article is written like a petulant child. The entitlement is oozing from the words.

To be fair that's 98% of gaming articles. 102% if it's Kotaku.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@Telekill said:

The article is written like a petulant child. The entitlement is oozing from the words. I'm thinking it would be funny to see Nintendo and then Sony give the PC user base the middle finger given how they act and either outright deny or cancel PC ports altogether.

It's obvious people today don't appreciate anything but simply demand and expect what was it... oh yeah... "capitulation". I'm betting the lack of appreciation will change soon though given what's going on in the world. We're on the verge of a third World War and when that happens, we'll all see nothing new created and only destruction. You'll miss being entitled assuming you survive it.

Your response reads more like the petulant child that you are complaining about. 🤷‍♀️

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro
@wonderwinner said:

Really? Tell me more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@Pedro said:
@wonderwinner said:

Really? Tell me more.

@Pedro said:

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Telekill

@Pedro: Come on Pedro. You're well aware that the PC userbase has been entitled and demanding even before they started that Master Race BS. They appreciate nothing and it's obvious.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@Telekill said:

@Pedro: Come on Pedro. You're well aware that the PC userbase has been entitled and demanding even before they started that Master Race BS. They appreciate nothing and it's obvious.

You keep using the word entitled and it is not applicable. Wanting something is not being or thinking that you are entitled. Your reaction to the article was particularly extreme man.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro
@wonderwinner said:
@Pedro said:
@wonderwinner said:

Really? Tell me more.

@Pedro said:

You draw that conclusion from my comment. Some things really are beyond your understanding.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@Pedro said:
@wonderwinner said:
@Pedro said:
@wonderwinner said:

Really? Tell me more.

@Pedro said:

You draw that conclusion from my comment. Some things really are beyond your understanding.

@Pedro said:

lol

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@wonderwinner: And you continue to demonstrate that my comment is beyond your understanding. 🤷‍♀️

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@Pedro said:

@wonderwinner: And you continue to demonstrate that my comment is beyond your understanding. 🤷‍♀️

@Pedro said:

lmao

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@wonderwinner: You embarrassing yourself...again. 😆

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Telekill

@Pedro: My reaction was based on the verbiage used in the article. Perhaps the author should rethink his writing style.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

@Telekill said:

@Pedro: My reaction was based on the verbiage used in the article. Perhaps the author should rethink his writing style.

Man, you went as far as WW3. 😐

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Fedor

I doubt Nintendo will willingly bring their games to any platform other than their own. Thank goodness we have Jimmy Ryan (my boi) bringing those precious PS exclusives over. A true visionary.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Telekill

@Pedro: Because that's what's on the horizon. If you take a look, Russia is threatening the UK. China is threatening... well... everyone. Australia is looking for help from America to hold off China and we definitely need to work together to stop the communists. Then we even have the French president (the country known for waving the flag of surrender) getting in the face of the American president and wagging his finger, shaming him. WW3 is more than likely coming soon and when that happens, we'll all miss arguing over video games. That's the correlation I was drawing in reference to PC gamers being entitled as they will have nothing soon enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

@nintendoboy16: We could change it to the Lex Luthor or Red Skull of gaming if a fictional character is needed. The comparison just applies to basically any governing body that silences any unwanted request while simultaneously squeezing as much use out of their subjects as possible.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@Telekill said:

@Pedro: Because that's what's on the horizon. If you take a look, Russia is threatening the UK. China is threatening... well... everyone. Australia is looking for help from America to hold off China and we definitely need to work together to stop the communists. Then we even have the French president (the country known for waving the flag of surrender) getting in the face of the American president and wagging his finger, shaming him. WW3 is more than likely coming soon and when that happens, we'll all miss arguing over video games. That's the correlation I was drawing in reference to PC gamers being entitled as they will have nothing soon enough.

😐😑

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Telekill

@Pedro: I take it you haven't been looking much at world affairs. Time to start paying attention my friend. That's where I'll leave this tangent.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

@Telekill said:

@Pedro: I take it you haven't been looking much at world affairs. Time to start paying attention my friend. That's where I'll leave this tangent.

I have and I don't share you views.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

Nintendo makes money hand over fist.

They simply don't need the cheetos crowd.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fedor

@Telekill said:

So according to you all gamers are entitled and will soon have nothing.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Fedor

@casey-wegner said:

Nintendo makes money hand over fist.

They simply don't need the cheetos crowd.

Have you seen the average Nintendo fanboy, Casey?

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

But PC already has all nintendo games.