PC gamer like myself , should hold off on up dating WIN 10 ( Engadget)

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I’m So glad that I saw this today. Looks like MS is at it again with there poor quality, but this time with WIN 10 wiping user data. Why has MS gone to sh$t , with the XB1, XB1x and now this :( this is just down right embarrassing

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/05/windows-10-october-update-1809-delete-data-wipe-user-profile/

Microsoft's latest Windows 10 update — referred to as the October Update or 1809 — may come with quite a few exciting new features, but could also wipe profiles with all the associated documents, music, pictures and other data. A number of reports detailing the issue have appeared on Reddit and Microsoft's support forums. Many of them apparently haven't been able to recover the deleted files.

The only possible solution that has surfacedon the forums so far is to locate and disable a group policy that deletes user profiles when they reach a certain age. This can be done by running the gpedit command in the Windows search bar and navigating to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/User Profiles and disabling the Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restartfeature.

Microsoft has yet to begin pushing the Windows 10 October Update to the public, so the only people experiencing the issue are likely to be those who forced it via Windows Update. Given the circumstances, it'd definitely be wise not to rush the update and wait for guidance from the company itself.

We've reached out to Microsoft and will update this article should we receive a response.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts
@daredevils2k said:

I’m So glad that I saw this today. Looks like MS is at it again with there poor quality, but this time with WIN 10 wiping user data. Why has MS gone to sh$t , with the XB1, XB1x and now this :( this is just down right embarrassing

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/05/windows-10-october-update-1809-delete-data-wipe-user-profile/

Microsoft's latest Windows 10 update — referred to as the October Update or 1809 — may come with quite a few exciting new features, but could also wipe profiles with all the associated documents, music, pictures and other data. A number of reports detailing the issue have appeared on Reddit and Microsoft's support forums. Many of them apparently haven't been able to recover the deleted files.

The only possible solution that has surfacedon the forums so far is to locate and disable a group policy that deletes user profiles when they reach a certain age. This can be done by running the gpedit command in the Windows search bar and navigating to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/User Profiles and disabling the Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restartfeature.

Microsoft has yet to begin pushing the Windows 10 October Update to the public, so the only people experiencing the issue are likely to be those who forced it via Windows Update. Given the circumstances, it'd definitely be wise not to rush the update and wait for guidance from the company itself.

We've reached out to Microsoft and will update this article should we receive a response.

While it's unfortunate, it seems the people who are having these issues downloaded the update knowing that their could be issues and that the update isn't complete yet, atleast that's the impression i get from the fact that MS didn't push the update to the public yet. Similar to the insider program on xbox.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

I'm fine, just formatted my PC before installing the new update.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Doesn't affect me. I deleted Windows and installed Linux years ago. :)

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

lol M$ can't do anything right.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56190 Posts

And that's why windows updates are stupid and why I have them turned off lol.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

We are moaning about an un-released bug? you guys live under a rock or what?

@davillain- said:

Oh don't be that guy..... apply your bloody updates, majority of them end up being Security Patches.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56190 Posts

@kali-b1rd said:

We are moaning about an un-released bug? you guys live under a rock or what?

@davillain- said:

Oh don't be that guy..... apply your bloody updates, majority of them end up being Security Patches.

TC doesn't need to know that lol.

When it comes to W10 updates, I always make a copy of my files before the updates are applied. I like to play it safe and be ahead of the game ;)

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

lol so it didn't come as Windows 10 auto-update...ah huh?...yea just click check update...just updated usual Windows Defender stuff...nothing else..scare mongering much?.. :P

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61504 Posts

Was it pulled? Doesn't even show as an optional update for me.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17861 Posts

I've installed the update on multiple machines (laptops and desktops) with no issues other than the usual 'Windows 10 update reverting AMD GPUs attached via HDMI to YCbCr' issue.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Unless you want DirectX 12, then you're shit outta luck on Windows 7.

I haven't had a single fucking problem with Windows 10 on two laptops since it came out.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61504 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Unless you want DirectX 12, then you're shit outta luck on Windows 7.

I haven't had a single fucking problem with Windows 10 on two laptops since it came out.

Yeah, W10 has been flawless for me. My new PC has had zero crashes since I built it over a year ago, runs W10 and acts as a gaming PC and HTPC... As such, when i'm at home, it's always running.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

does this issue affect offline/local user accounts?

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

I hate Windows 10 with all my soul. I avoid booting into it as much as possible. Now that Steam released proton i see the day when i could delete my Windows partition for good in the horizon. That will be happy times.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@zappat said:

I hate Windows 10 with all my soul. I avoid booting into it as much as possible. Now that Steam released proton i see the day when i could delete my Windows partition for good in the horizon. That will be happy times.

But with some games the performance boost from DX12 is worth it.

TrapStar400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TrapStar400
Member since 2018 • 12 Posts

Maybe they should stick with what they know, and thats developing good operating systems. As far as consoles go, they pushed their way thru the door and made a name for themselves over the past few years.. but they're not my goto console when it comes to gaming that's for sure.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

Is this a publicly released update, or one of those beta updates?

I'm getting a bit of confusion with this story between 'auto-update' and 'manual update' and beta update when it comes to the word publicly released.

They mention version 1809, I only had access to version 1903.

Edit: It's okay, I get it now, the update has been pulled.

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-has-pulled-windows-10-october-2018-update-users-files-go-missing