PC Gamer: Deus Ex is the best game of all time

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

PC Gamer has listed Deus Ex as its number one game of all time in its latest issue.

Taking the top spot in the mag for the second year on the trot, Deus Ex takes praise from the mag's staff and contributors who reminisce about their time with the game more than ten years ago.

"Deus Ex has a lot of elements to it, but they're well-chosen," says section editor Tom Francis.

"It's rare that it's just you versus some enemies; bot loyalties are flexible, civilians can be on either side, and every evil base seems to have at least one scientist or mechanic waiting to defect."

Following closely behind the FPS is World of Warcraft in second position, Oblivion in third, Team Fortress 2 takes the number four spot and Half-Life 2 takes a surprising fifth.

Source

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Horrible list. Quake 3, BF2, and UT 2004 have to be in the top 5.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
As a PC gamer, let me be the first to say that magazine sucks ass.
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

Man, I need to play me some Deus Ex, but i'm so **** at PC games it's scary. Keybpard and Mouse confounds me.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts
id agree with number 1. it is the best game ever made imho. also its a RPG not a FPS. i cant comment on WOW as i havent played it (yea a PC gamer who has never played WOW....we do exist :P). i dont agree with oblivion at third. it was a good and enjoyable game but id put morrowind there long before Oblivion. cant comment on TF2 either. HL2? dam fine game indeed.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

Man, I need to play me some Deus Ex, but i'm so **** at PC games it's scary. Keybpard and Mouse confounds me.

-Snooze-
Hook up your console controller and go to town on those suckas.
The_RedLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_RedLion
Member since 2009 • 1942 Posts
They need to play console games asap
-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

mrmusicman247

Can I do that? Deus Ex is pretty damn old ...

Eh, may as well give it a shot.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mNcyVZsUp3k/TDAg9rHpRbI/AAAAAAAAAC8/JIgLR7ZVm0k/s1600/Deus+Ex.jpeg

Oblivion at 3 is pretty lol-worthy and I can't imagine why they need to re-rank games every year (or rather, I can't imagine a reason beyond it's a license to print pageviews), but good on them for recognising a great game.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 millerlight89

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

-Snooze-

Can I do that? Deus Ex is pretty damn old ...

Eh, may as well give it a shot.

Even if you could by using Xpadder, the interface is too complex for a controller.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Oh, PC Gamer likes Deus Ex? Surprising.
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

As a PC gamer, let me be the first to say that magazine sucks ass.millerlight89

As a PC gamer, let me be the first to say that I thoroughly enjoy this magazine.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Was a good start to their list... And then they failed hard.

Anyway, I can't respect a "best ever" top 5 list which doesn't include X-Com UFO Defense

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"]As a PC gamer, let me be the first to say that magazine sucks ass.Raymundo_Manuel

As a PC gamer, let me be the first to say that I thoroughly enjoy this magazine.

Oh, that doesn't surprise me one bit.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Deus Ex is certainly on my top 10 of all time, but in my opinion it's not the best ever. But the rest of the list... Oblivion, seriously? With X-COM, System Shock, Thief, Civilization and Total War out there? :lol:

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Boomshaffted
Member since 2009 • 721 Posts
Eh, Deus Ex was a good game, but I wouldn't give it anywhere near #1. Though, got to chuckle... How will PC gamers react to their holy-grail magazine rating Oblivion #3, ahead of Half Life 1 and 2, Team Fortress 2, etc etc.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Wow deserves to be in top 5. There is a reason why it's considered a crack and 12 million peoples pay monthly. It revolutionized the mmo genre.

Oblivion vanilla is just mediocre but I think they put it there because of the mod capability. It represents the spirit of pc gaming, a canvas where modders can paint in freely.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Deus ex is getting that award all the time.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
That list seems pretty off, but Deus Ex is an amazing game.
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts
Eh, Deus Ex was a good game, but I wouldn't give it anywhere near #1. Though, got to chuckle... How will PC gamers react to their holy-grail magazine rating Oblivion #3, ahead of Half Life 1 and 2, Team Fortress 2, etc etc.Boomshaffted
See, the Game in your sig (Planescape: Torment) should be #1) And Oblivion is a damn good game (mods required).
Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Boomshaffted

Wow deserves to be in top 5. There is a reason why it's considered a crack and 12 million peoples pay monthly. It revolutionized the mmo genre.

Oblivion vanilla is just mediocre but I think they put it there because of the mod capability. It represents the spirit of pc gaming, a canvas where modders can paint in freely.

edidili

Do people around here actually understand what "revolutionize" means? I *seriously* doubt it based on how I see it thrown around inaccurately around here. Something that is revolutionary inspires new ideas, causes things that come after it to change in its image or react strongly against it.

Wow was - is - an EQ clone. Anyone who played the original EQ and then moved on to WoW can see the EQ development team that WoW hired fingerprints all over it. It brought next to nothing new to the table, and anything that emulates WoW is essentially emulating what WoW directly ripped off, the original Everquest. That being said, WoW was a complete and well rounded package that was easy to get into and a lot of fun. They brought next to nothing new to the table with it, but they did a bunch of already done things right and become the dominant player in MMO's as a result.

But revolutionary? No moreso than a new GTA or Call of Duty. It followed an existing formula, did it really well, and profited.

That being said, it certainly deserves a very high spot on that list. You don't need to be doing something new or revolutionary to be excellent, and WoW has without a doubt become a force in PC gaming that's second to none.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

edidili

Surely you can understand there are way better examples of modding than Oblivion.

How it managed to get into a top five of anyone, let alone a wannabe PC gaming magazine, is beyond me.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Eh, Deus Ex was a good game, but I wouldn't give it anywhere near #1. Though, got to chuckle... How will PC gamers react to their holy-grail magazine rating Oblivion #3, ahead of Half Life 1 and 2, Team Fortress 2, etc etc.Boomshaffted

As far as I know Oblivion rates very high on their reader's choice too.

And well....I don't think any reasonable person cares. Are we supposed to expect everyone else's opinion to conform 100% to ours?I would put Half Life 2 in all 5 of the top 5 spots, but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit because someone else wouldn't do the same.

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Boomshaffted

[QUOTE="edidili"]

N30F3N1X

Surely you can understand there are way better examples of modding than Oblivion.

How it managed to get into a top five of anyone, let alone a wannabe PC gaming magazine, is beyond me.

Got to ask... If PC Gamer, the premier PC gaming publication for over 15 years now, is a "wannabe PC gaming magazine," what's a REAL PC gaming magazine?
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 N30F3N1X

What are you talking about? The magazine management decided to call the magazine PC Gamer.

It isn't anyone's holy grail magazine, it's a self entitled name.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 N30F3N1X

Got to ask... If PC Gamer, the premier PC gaming publication for over 15 years now, is a "wannabe PC gaming magazine," what's a REAL PC gaming magazine?Boomshaffted

There isn't.

misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 misiufraggle
Member since 2009 • 653 Posts

I don't know if Deus Ex is the best game of all time (there are alot of games I've not tried), but it is definately the best game I've ever played.

I still play through Deus Ex once every year or so even now - and I was still finding secrets and different possibilities on my 5th and 6th play though. I managed to complete the game with Paul Denton still alive at the end for the first time last year, after probably a dozen play-throughs.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Though, got to chuckle... How will PC gamers react to their holy-grail magazine Boomshaffted

Since when is PC Gamer a holy grail magazine?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Horrible list. Quake 3, BF2, and UT 2004 have to be in the top 5.i5750at4Ghz

Those 3 are far from the best games of all time.

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Boomshaffted

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"]Eh, Deus Ex was a good game, but I wouldn't give it anywhere near #1. Though, got to chuckle... How will PC gamers react to their holy-grail magazine rating Oblivion #3, ahead of Half Life 1 and 2, Team Fortress 2, etc etc.N30F3N1X

What are you talking about? The magazine management decided to call the magazine PC Gamer.

It isn't anyone's holy grail magazine, it's a self entitled name.

No, no. This is the PC gaming magazine that's been the industry standard since the early 90's when their demo discs were something every serious PC gamer at the time waited for each month. I've seen it discussed in dozens for forums since I started forum going in the late 90's. They're widely known as a quality publication with high standards and relatively fair reviews. Thanks for your two cents on the matter though.
Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Boomshaffted

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"] Though, got to chuckle... How will PC gamers react to their holy-grail magazine MetroidPrimePwn

The early 90's. There hasn't been a more widely read or more widely respected PC gaming magazine, ever, and I invite you to name one for me.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 N30F3N1X

No, no. This is the PC gaming magazine that's been the industry standard since the early 90's when their demo discs were something every serious PC gamer at the time waited for each month. I've seen it discussed in dozens for forums since I started forum going in the late 90's. They're widely known as a quality publication with high standards and relatively fair reviews. Thanks for your two cents on the matter though.Boomshaffted

You can spin it how you want. It doesn't matter - their name is a self entitled one and noone gives them credit for being a holy grail of some sort. No amount of snide talk will change that.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Tough one - hard to decide between the original System Shock and Deus Ex. The original System Shock gets a serious ding for its horrendous interface, though. I'd swap in Thief II over Oblivion though.
Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Boomshaffted

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"] No, no. This is the PC gaming magazine that's been the industry standard since the early 90's when their demo discs were something every serious PC gamer at the time waited for each month. I've seen it discussed in dozens for forums since I started forum going in the late 90's. They're widely known as a quality publication with high standards and relatively fair reviews. Thanks for your two cents on the matter though.N30F3N1X

You can spin it how you want. It doesn't matter - their name is a self entitled one and noone gives them credit for being a holy grail of some sort. No amount of snide talk will change that.

What "snide talk"? I'm simply explaining to someone, obviously unaware, that this has been the most well known and respected dedicated PC gaming magazine since the early 90's. To this day I still see people referencing PC gamer reviews and content in PC focused forums.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"] Though, got to chuckle... How will PC gamers react to their holy-grail magazine Boomshaffted

The early 90's. There hasn't been a more widely read or more widely respected PC gaming magazine, ever, and I invite you to name one for me.

And this makes it a "holy grail" how...???

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dakan45

See, the Game in your sig (Planescape: Torment) should be #1) And Oblivion is a damn good game (mods required).lordreaven

Well, i played that and while the story was good, it was a weak game/rpg in comparison with oblivion, i mean you got a preset character that you cant change and waht you do in that game is pretty damn linear. Well, i played that and while the story was good, it was a weak game/rpg in comparison with oblivion, i mean you got a preset character that you cant change and waht you do in that game is pretty damn linear.

No, no. This is the PC gaming magazine that's been the industry standard since the early 90's when their demo discs were something every serious PC gamer at the time waited for each month. I've seen it discussed in dozens for forums since I started forum going in the late 90's. They're widely known as a quality publication with high standards and relatively fair reviews. Thanks for your two cents on the matter though.Boomshaffted

I agree, these guys know what they talk about. Its just that pc gaming has changed so much nowadays that you have 2 options, either play it "niche" like most pc gamers in these forums and ignore the new games. Or play along and cut the new games some slack. Besides, its a game magazine, it has to review new games. If they bash every new game from a bigdeveloper, then they will go out of business. Its just the way things are.

Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Boomshaffted

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"][QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]

MetroidPrimePwn

And this makes it a "holy grail" how...???

By being the most widely read and respected PC gaming publication. Ever.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 N30F3N1X

What "snide talk"? I'm simply explaining to someone, obviously unaware, that this has been the most well known and respected dedicated PC gaming magazine since the early 90's. To this day I still see people referencing PC gamer reviews and content in PC focused forums.Boomshaffted

So what? Their name is still self entitled, and noone acts as if the magazine is a holy grail.

Their opinions are as good as anyone else's, just different because of the context they're put in, which is getting enough people talking to fuel their business.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"]Horrible list. Quake 3, BF2, and UT 2004 have to be in the top 5.Wasdie

Those 3 are far from the best games of all time.

So are most of the games in their top five. Three of them are flat out wrong, the other two are debatable.
Boomshaffted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Boomshaffted

[QUOTE="Boomshaffted"]What "snide talk"? I'm simply explaining to someone, obviously unaware, that this has been the most well known and respected dedicated PC gaming magazine since the early 90's. To this day I still see people referencing PC gamer reviews and content in PC focused forums.N30F3N1X

So what? Their name is still self entitled, and noone acts as if the magazine is a holy grail.

Their opinions are as good as anyone else's, just different because of the context they're put in, which is getting enough people talking to fuel their business.

Sorry, but a respected long term publication's opinion is worth exponentially more (in both how it will affect the world and to a lesser degree how we should value it) and just any schmoe of the street's opinion.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 N30F3N1X

Sorry, but a respected long term publication's opinion is worth exponentially more (in both how it will affect the world and to a lesser degree how we should value it) and just any schmoe of the street's opinion.Boomshaffted

Fair enough.

Oblivion being third in a "best of" list is still an atrocity and any PC gamer with his head on his shoulders would tell you that.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I don't know if Deus Ex is the best game of all time (there are alot of games I've not tried), but it is definately the best game I've ever played.

I still play through Deus Ex once every year or so even now - and I was still finding secrets and different possibilities on my 5th and 6th play though. I managed to complete the game with Paul Denton still alive at the end for the first time last year, after probably a dozen play-throughs.

misiufraggle

I'm on my 5th playtrough my self, first played Deus Ex just two years ago expecting a overrated game.

God, was i wrong. Wile i can't even replay HL2 due it being simply boring to tears(now this i consider a extremely overrated game), i can still replay Deus countless times. Bad AI, bad voice acting, clunky FPS mechanics, but there's something that keeps me going, that most games i played don't. I can't put my finger on it.

By far, top 5 material, it begs to be replayed.

gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

Its in my top 5 for sure, soo many good memories

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts
i remember reading the PC gamer mag in the library while volunteering. its sad that all of their elite writers are gone cough "Dan morris" the cigar smoking dude. but what the heck didn't they named half life 1 as their greatest like in 2006 or something like that ?
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
almost finished with my first playthrough Great game..really was ahead of it's time.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
I have it on this laptop. Got it for a ridiculously cheap price from GFWL, and played it for 5 minutes before realising it felt like it had aged terribly. I may try it again, probably not though.
gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

I have it on this laptop. Got it for a ridiculously cheap price from GFWL, and played it for 5 minutes before realising it felt like it had aged terribly. I may try it again, probably not though.Ravensmash

yes the character models werent great even for their time

I played this after Shenmue and even on my (then) brilliant PC with a mighty GeForce 3, the character models still looked pretty average

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
But revolutionary? No moreso than a new GTA or Call of Duty. It followed an existing formula, did it really well, and profited.Boomshaffted
I did check this because of a SW thread - the term 'innovation' does include iteration. You don't have to create something brand new to innovate or to revolutionize. I would say that WoW's initial focus on making things easy and approachable was totally at odds with the prevailing UO/EverQuest wild west or grindfest style of MMO gaming at the time, and that is representative of what is so revolutionary about the game. It took what was initially the nerdiest of the nerdy and made it into something relatively commonplace.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

It is a very good game, but CERTAINLY not the best game. I don't see how anyone could say it is honestly. They can personally enjoy it the most, but it has problems that are evident.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dakan45

It is a very good game, but CERTAINLY not the best game. I don't see how anyone could say it is honestly. They can personally enjoy it the most, but it has problems that are evident.

NaveedLife
Yeah like the fact that you need to stand still for 5 seconds to aim if not more. Seriously?