PC dominated by older titles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

"The PC gaming market is also dominated by older titles; Cole said there wasn't a single title released in 2013 that made the top 20 listof most played games for that year"

The vast majority of PC revenue seems to also becoming from MOBAs

"The growth in PC spending is being driven heavily by the explosive growth in MOBAs like League of Legends and Dota 2, Cole said. That certainly gels with what we found in our recent Steam Gauge analysis, which shows Dota 2 dominating in a number of gameplay statistics."

"releases like DayZ, Rust, and Hearthstone have managed to crack the popularity lists. PC gaming revenue growth has been especially strong in Europe and among free-to-play titles, Cole said."

So free to play, MOBAs and older titles LMAO YaY PC.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/analyst-pc-gaming-now-brings-in-more-money-than-console-gaming/

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

uh...

"though 2014 releases like DayZ, Rust, andHearthstone have managed to crack the popularity lists."

Also:

"wasn't a single title released in 2013 that made the top 20 list"

But:"The MOBA games League of Legends and Dota 2 dominate everything else by an order of magnitude in terms of more usage"

Except, "Dota 2 was officially released on July 9, 2013"

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

mathematically speaking it would have to be.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Isn't TLOU a "old game" that's coming to the Ps4 this month?

You, ps4hasnogames, and amazon angry should team up to make a anti-PC thread.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Sooo many games to play... have no worries waiting a year later for a sweet sale. No big deal

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@enzyme36 said:

Sooo many games to play... have no worries waiting a year later for a sweet sale. No big deal

because of that mentality is why PC gaming is dominated by F2P games.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

I'm not seeing the issue with high scoring and high skill based F2P games...whats the problem? Why is this a con?

I'm not seeing an issue with constantly supported and new content added to games for 10+ years, resulting on long life spans...Why is this a con?

@Gue1 said:
@enzyme36 said:

But PC gets most multiplats, and they play better on PC. So...ehh....

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I haven't played many "older" titles lately. Unless you consider Planetside 2 older, despite that getting new content each month.

On the PC games don't just fade out of existence after a few years. Sequels don't just come out and replace the original game. A game's shelf life on the PC can be over 10 years if supported properly by the devs or mods.

On the console when the sequel comes out the population for the original game basically dies. PC exclusives don't always have sequels. The dev just keeps working on the same game, patching it and expanding it in different ways. Team Fortress 2 is a great example. The game people play now is basically a whole new experience than the one that came out in 2007.

This is why PC gamers are also more loyal to games than console gamers. PC games tend to be supported by the devs and possibly modding community for long after their release.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BldgIrsh

@RoboCopISJesus: Probably because they have to pay to play online while the PC has f2p online games that don't cost a dime and play better than the games they currently have.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

@Gue1:

@Gue1 said:

@enzyme36 said:

Not at all... Im giving a reason why newer games dont really crack top whatever lists on PC. We all know that if we wait for a sale or two we will score a big deal.

I do not need to explain why F2P is popular.... people like free stuff.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

So playing older titles is a bad thing now...

Geez no wonder the used game market exploded, no one on consoles keeps their games

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@Shielder7 said:

The PC gaming market is also dominated by older titles; Cole said there wasn't a single title released in 2013 that made the top 20 list of most played games for that year

"which shows Dota 2 dominating in a number of gameplay statistics."

"releases like DayZ, Rust, and Hearthstonehave managed to crack the popularity lists."

Those 4 games are 2013+....

The OP is lying/twisting data again. He said pc was 2nd to last in software sales in another thread, when infact it has more than all consoles combined at the moment.

Why can't you just make fair threads and debate the facts, instead of doing this scumbag Fox News crap?

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Roler42

@RoboCopISJesus: Makes you wonder if the PC or a PC gamer killed his family or something

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

Isn't TLOU a "old game" that's coming to the Ps4 this month?

You, ps4hasnogames, and amazon angry should team up to make a anti-PC thread.

You want more threads like this one?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@roler42 said:

So playing older titles is a bad thing now...

Geez no wonder the used game market exploded, no one on consoles keeps their games

Generally I find that console gamers are much quicker to buy new titles than PC gamers. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that traditionally console devs have not had a way to support their games with patches or expansions before the modern consoles. Console games sold as complete packages. Games were usually high quality and would be feature complete on launch. Devs would then move onto the next game.

This is no longer really necessary since consoles are now connected to the internet and install games like PCs. This allows them to constantly update the older games with new content. Back with cartridges or disks you couldn't just keep the old files of the original game on the hard drive and install an expansion.

I think this mentality has changed a lot though. Season passes are basically long-term expansion packs of a game so players can keep playing the same game with new content over a period of time instead of just waiting for the sequel. However we haven't seen anything like Team Fortress 2 on the console. Maybe Destiny will be the first game people play throughout the entire generation on a console.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BldgIrsh

@ladyblue: I would hope that if they combined their "knowledge" of PC gaming. That they could make something interesting that is worthy of discussion.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I haven't played many "older" titles lately. Unless you consider Planetside 2 older, despite that getting new content each month.

On the PC games don't just fade out of existence after a few years. Sequels don't just come out and replace the original game. A game's shelf life on the PC can be over 10 years if supported properly by the devs or mods.

On the console when the sequel comes out the population for the original game basically dies. PC exclusives don't always have sequels. The dev just keeps working on the same game, patching it and expanding it in different ways. Team Fortress 2 is a great example. The game people play now is basically a whole new experience than the one that came out in 2007.

This is why PC gamers are also more loyal to games than console gamers. PC games tend to be supported by the devs and possibly modding community for long after their release.

This.

Just a testament of the longevity of PC games.

And the clear need for backwards compatibility, which consolites are ready to pay $50 per game to "have it".

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

How many times are you going to post this same link under different guises?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lostrib

Did this just get locked and then unlocked or am I seeing things?

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@lostrib: I was having connection issues with GS lol and I decided to let Wasdie continue his eloquent debating of the issue :P

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

PC isn't a platform dominated by fads.

Good things last, and that's great for the gamer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Wait a minute, you mean not every new game is automatically better than the older ones that are supported for years and have heavy emphasis on gameplay and competition? is this a foreign concept to consolites? ofcourse it is... you need a Halo collection to even bother picking up the "oh so amazing Halo 2 and 3" ... I wish I could say the same for Sony fanboys... who havn't really received any games that last more than 10 hours .... let alone years.

Free2play and Mobas... only now the most important genres in the industry, even taking over the MMO juggernaught. keep being 10 years behind the trends consolites.... you finally had online FPS games 10 years later... maybe in a few more years time you'l be past £40 10 hour cinematic shallow nonsense...

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Games don't get old on PC, they just get cheaper. :3

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

And the console market is dominated by multiplats that are more and more common on PC because, wait for it, PC is clearly a profiatble enough platform to make it worth. On PC, we just get everything because it's an open platform.

Only reason why any of your games are exclusives anyway is because Sony and MS payed for it. Otherwise, guess where'd they end up. If you don't believe me, Dead Rising 3.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Wasdie said:

pretty much this. Crusader kings 2 is a 2012 game and the developers are still pushing out expansion after expansion and dont plan on stopping anytime soon. PC gamers will be playing skyrim modded while console gamers will be waiting for the next elderscrolls

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Makes sense. The numerous run ins I've had with pc fanboys that tell me to check out their Steam accounts, they are dominated with older titles, titles that aren't graphically or technically taxing on the rigs power, and usually half, or more so of the titles they haven't even touched.

I think we're starting to see the hidden truths behind the numbers in the pc community...and the numbers don't seem to be driven, primarily, by anything but the Dota competition.

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

I'm disappointed at the anti-PC threads that have been popping up recently all of them are horrible.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@sam890 said:

I'm disappointed at the anti-PC threads that have been popping up recently all of them are horrible.

Making obvious bs can lead to that.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Roler42

@sam890: Considering how easy the previous ones were shot down, at this point consolites are getting desperate and i'd go as far as to think they all do this just hoping they can find something to spite hermits, lol

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AmazonAngry

"Right now, I can tell you that about 37 percent of the roughly 781 million games registered to various Steam accounts haven’t even been loaded a single time."

that really stuck out to me in that article because it totally falls in line with with what I keep seeing over and over again in Steam accounts.

Calling PC gamers gamers is almost an inaccurate description. They're more like collectors than gamers... Or even digital hoarders

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@sam890 said:

I am inclined to agree.

I vote we should make a rule that there is to be no bashing or criticizing of PC/hermits in SYSTEM WARS from hence forth..

Also only PC fans should be allowed to bash and criticize other platforms with fanboy stupidity while being free of any counter arguments from other groups...in SYSTEM WARS.

I also vote that we rename SYSTEM WARS to, "I am a hermit so I bash consoles but don't talk about my PC WARs"

Sounds like a sweet deal to me :D keh

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AmazonAngry

@sam890: I'm disappointed at the anti-PC threads that have been popping up recently all of them are horrible.

But all the anti Console threads are fine right?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

As long as most of the money is not coming from COD , Madden , FIFA etc (like on consoles) , it's worth it . DOTA 2 , LOL , WOW etc are all great games (Even though I believe that bigger userbase on steam and release of more games greatly increased revenue) .

On other hand , I think console sales are front loaded and then you don't see sales later after few months or years . On PC , sales are slow in the beginning but the game continues to sell for years to come because hardware improves and people come back to future proof titles after upgrading their rigs and they don't have to care about backward compatibility as well . Some others buy them when those games are on sale or whenever there is a new expansion .

People still purchase games like Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment from GOG , even after decades of their release . Such thing is not normal on consoles . Hell , even console games that vanished from shelves a long time ago have been kept alive by PC gamers . How .? Simple ... Emulators .

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sam890

@kinectthedots said:

@sam890 said:

I am inclined to agree.

I vote we should make a rule that there is to be no bashing or criticizing of PC/hermits in SYSTEM WARS from hence forth..

Also only PC fans should be allowed to bash and criticize other platforms with fanboy stupidity while being free of any counter arguments from other groups.

Sounds like a sweet deal to me :D

No i'm not saying that i'm saying at lease have a legitimate argument.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostrib

@amazonangry said:

@sam890: I'm disappointed at the anti-PC threads that have been popping up recently all of them are horrible.

But all the anti Console threads are fine right?

no, all those $400 PC threads are a load of shit

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Roler42

@kinectthedots: I'd recommend you to eat a snickers, you sound way too upset over videogames

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BldgIrsh

@amazonangry: You are waiting for a response. So I will respond. You are welcome.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kinectthedots

@amazonangry said:

But all the anti Consolel threads are fine right?

Realize you are in the new "I am a hermit so I bash consoles but don't talk about my PC WARs" forum and never speak ill of PC or it's holy followers again.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

what exactly counts as a PC gamer anyway? is someone who plays solitaire on their PC a PC gamer?

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Roler42

@SolidGame_basic: geez you guys are extra bitter today

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

@sam890 said:

I am inclined to agree.

Also only PC fans should be allowed to bash and criticize other platforms with fanboy stupidity while being free of any counter arguments from other groups...in SYSTEM WARS.

I also vote that we rename SYSTEM WARS to, "I am a hermit so I bash consoles but don't talk about my PC WARs"

Sounds like a sweet deal to me :D keh

still waiting on those games on PC where jaggies are an unfixable issue. still...

He is disappointed with the quality of debate people like YOU and amazonangry your friend over there offer, not that you actually say anything negative, its just the negative stuff you usually say is so full of s*it it reaks of desperation.

We know its very hard for consolites to have any good ammunition, but at least go out with some dignity.

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sam890

@kinectthedots said:

@amazonangry said:

But all the anti Consolel threads are fine right?

Realize you are in the new "I am a hermit so I bash consoles but don't talk about my PC WARs" forum and never speak ill of PC or it's holy followers again.

What are you talking about ? I bash every system including PC.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@amazonangry said:

"Right now, I can tell you that about 37 percent of the roughly 781 million games registered to various Steam accounts haven’t even been loaded a single time."

that really stuck out to me in that article because it totally falls in line with with what I keep seeing over and over again in Steam accounts.

Calling PC gamers gamers is almost an inaccurate description. They're more like collectors than gamers... Or even digital hoarders

As usual biased console noob fails to mention small yet important facts which change the whole argument because is that not what they always do?

steam started in 2004 games were not tracked till 2009 THATS UPTO 5 YEARS WORTH OF GAMEPLAY THAT DO NOT HAVE HOURS TRACKED. I have 100+games that have no hours played yet i have completed...Also it does not track hours if you are offline it also does not include games completed (obviously) on Origin,GOG,Uplay and all other services that are not steam

why don't you try using actual facts...full facts so you do not constantly fail so hard.

You morons debate like 5 year old children.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RoboCopISJesus

@amazonangry@kinectthedots , @Shielder7

I think everyone knows you guys are just baiting and have no legitimate argument against pc.

Shielder has yet to get back to me on why MOBA or F2P games don't "count".

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

@amazonangry said:

While yes, a lot of PC gamers do buy a lot of games from sales and not play them but there are other reasons for such a high amount of unplayed games. For example, I buy most of my games on PC from bundles and a decent number of these bundles only give a single key for all the games. A single key means that even if I bought a bundle of 10 games simply to play 3 of them, I'll have those 7 games on my steam account that I have no intention of even touching.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lostrib

@naz99 said:

@amazonangry said:

As usual biased console noob fails to mention small yet important facts which change the whole argument because is that not what they always do?

steam started in 2004 games were not tracked till 2009 THATS 5 YEARS WORTH OF GAMEPLAY THAT DO NOT HAVE HOURS TRACKEDi have 100+games that have no hours played yet i have completed...why dont you try using actual facts...full facts so yopu do not constantly fail so hard.

Yeah, according to steam I only have 1.2 hours in HL2 even though I've completed the game

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kinectthedots

@roler42 said:

@kinectthedots: I'd recommend you to eat a snickers, you sound way too upset over videogames

I am not the one crying that no one should pick on my preferred platform and act like something is wrong because someone did in, wait for it....SYSTEM WARS.

You should take the snickers for yourself. It seems hermits have gotten a little to complacent in their egos and forgot the forum they have chosen to take part in.

Just a reality check guys. Stop QQing because someone said something bad about your precious PC and actually debate the topic like every other group does and stop playing the victim role.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lostrib

@kinectthedots said:

@roler42 said:

I am not the one crying that no one should pick on my preferred platform and act like something is wrong because someone did in, wait for it....SYSTEM WARS.

You should take the snickers for yourself. It seems hermits have gotten a little to complacent in their egos and forgot the forum they have chosen to take part in.

Just a reality check guys. Stop QQing because someone said something bad about your precious PC and actually debate the topic like every other group does and stop playing the victim role.

he never said no one should pick on PC. He just said that the threads have been of shitty quality

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#50 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

It looks like free-to-play is the future of gaming, by the look of things.