PC and Consoles on an even playing field?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MegamanX97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#1 MegamanX97
Member since 2003 • 1319 Posts

With the new generation here I want to focus on games over graphics. Is this a close race? Does PC have the better games, or do you feel consoles do? Is it more even now than ever before?

PC and consoles both have their exclusives. With the PC having solid RTS games like starcraft 2 that more then likely wont come to consoles, but Consoles having games like Mario, GTA 5 and Kill Zone. Also the debate that some games are just better with mouse and keyboard like FPS. Then you see games like Diablo 3 ported to console and people tend to have liked it more (some debate it was actually really meant for a console all along)

What do you guys think? If you only had a choice between a PC or a Console, focusing on games rather then specs, what would you end up choosing?

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Theres nothing appealing about pc gaming to me. A bunch of rts games, and indies(not meant as a negative, I like indies) that will more than likely appear on consoles.

Don't forget about consoles having better exclusives.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

PC all the way. More variety, excellent backwards compatibility, a multitude of stores selling digital content, and a handful of new exclusives just about every week. Nothing else competes with that.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I'd like to be able to say they are on an even playing field but pc is really leagues ahead of the consoles. A lot of people on here will disagree, so be it. But one thing I've learned over the years from owning both. My pc gets a hell of a lot more use then the consoles I've owned. Both are great in their own ways but for me PC takes the cake and eats it too.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

And now for a big ol' circle jerk about personal preferences...

sounds fun

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@MegamanX97 said:

With the new generation here I want to focus on games over graphics. Is this a close race? Does PC have the better games, or do you feel consoles do? Is it more even now than ever before?

PC and consoles both have their exclusives. With the PC having solid RTS games like starcraft 2 that more then likely wont come to consoles, but Consoles having games like Mario, GTA 5 and Kill Zone. Also the debate that some games are just better with mouse and keyboard like FPS. Then you see games like Diablo 3 ported to console and people tend to have liked it more (some debate it was actually really meant for a console all along)

What do you guys think? If you only had a choice between a PC or a Console, focusing on games rather then specs, what would you end up choosing?

PC has both games and gfx. Look at Gamespots or Metacritic yearly tallies. PC always has more aaa/aa.

Then look at multiplatform gfx and performance, almost always better on PC. D3 scored higher on PC and sold 10x more. The best gfx every gen is on PC as well.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@ladyblue said:

Not according to facts, so he actually can forget about it. Oh and PC has more genres than console. Unless you like 5 hour long movie games.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

Consoles are a great, perhaps the best, place to find games that are right for everyone. Something anyone can pick up and play for five hours, maybe even ten.

PC is where you go to find the game that is right for you. Something you personally will put a hundreds of hours into. Games you adore, but you can't recommend to more then one or two of your friends because they didn't aim to engage eight million for seven hours. They aimed to engage a million players for sixty. That is why PC gamers tend to be the most enthusiastic. They own a couple dozen games designed for a narrow audience they just happen to be a part of.

Consoles can never catch up there. It is the benefit of an open platform that is easy to develop for. Between that and Kickstarter/early access, a person can pander to any niche.

MegamanX97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By MegamanX97
Member since 2003 • 1319 Posts

@kittennose said:

Consoles are a great, perhaps the best, place to find games that are right for everyone. Something anyone can pick up and play for five hours, maybe even ten.

PC is where you go to find the game that is right for you. Something you personally will put a hundreds of hours into. Games you adore, but you can't recommend to more then one or two of your friends because they didn't aim to engage eight million for seven hours. They aimed to engage a million players for sixty. That is why PC gamers tend to be the most enthusiastic. They own a couple dozen games designed for a narrow audience they just happen to be a part of.

Consoles can never catch up there. It is the benefit of an open platform that is easy to develop for. Between that and Kickstarter/early access, a person can pander to any niche.

Great comment. I agree with you on this.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

So far next generation appears to be, what you have been playing before, but with Micro-transactions and an extra £10.

It's very exciting.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

So far the PS4 is doing very well against the PC in terms of graphics, give it 2 years though like always the consoles will show their age. Meanwhile people like me are upgrading to 2K/4K resolutions and GTX Titans. Come at me bro!

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@kittennose said:

True , and sometimes (actually most of the time) niche market is good . It is good to have something which is targeted for core gamers or fans of specific genre rather than bigger casual market for dumbed down experience .

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Naughty Dog , Quantic Dream, Remedy , and apparently Rockstar make games only for consoles.That means , screw the PC !

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I think consoles have an edge with exclusives, but PC is the way to go for multiplatform titles.

milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Not a fair fight for consoles, since they need to gang up to even try to come close to what PC has to offer in terms of games.. And then PC has almost exclusive genres, mods, lots of possible control schemes, community input... Superior graphics and performance are only an additional bonus.

And really, console exclusives have gone downhill over the last 10 years. The need to appeal to the smallest common denominator can be felt in every "major" console exclusive's gameplay.. Sad evolution, but fortunately gaming is still alive and kicking on the PC platform.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

So far next generation appears to be, what you have been playing before, but with Micro-transactions and an extra £10.

It's very exciting.

Same here, can't wait to pay more for day one DLC and what not, to get the same amount of content I used to get when I bought a game at full price.

@IgGy621985 said:

I think consoles have an edge with exclusives, but PC is the way to go for multiplatform titles.

PC lost a bunch of exclusives because consoles are more like PC than ever before.

And PC got a bunch of multiplats and console games because of the rise in development costs.

Since 90% of the games I'm interested in are multiplats I'll surely be sticking with PC for a while before getting an Xbone or PS4, because they are seriously lacking exclusives at the moment.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@elkoldo said:

Naughty Dog , Quantic Dream, Remedy , and apparently Rockstar make games only for consoles.That means , screw the PC !

There are more Remedy games on PC than on consoles . Their every game made for Xbox 360 is on PC as definitive version . Not on PS3 though .

Quantum Dream are shitty developers .

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IgGy621985

@R4gn4r0k said:

PC lost a bunch of exclusives because consoles are more like PC than ever before.

And PC got a bunch of multiplats and console games because of the rise in development costs.

Since 90% of the games I'm interested in are multiplats I'll surely be sticking with PC for a while before getting an Xbone or PS4, because they are seriously lacking exclusives at the moment.

PC started to lose shitload of exclusives and developers already past-gen, thanks to Microsoft and 360.

Thankfully, things are getting better in the past several years, but developers are still more prone to consoles with blockbuster exclusives.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k

@IgGy621985 said:

PC started to lose shitload of exclusives and developers already past-gen, thanks to Microsoft and 360.

Thankfully, things are getting better in the past several years, but developers are still more prone to consoles with blockbuster exclusives.

Yeah Microsoft closed or redirected a lot of PC centric studios to Xbox development. Started happening since the original Xbox

The only reason why a developer like Crytek makes an Xbox exclusive is because of the massive amounts of money Microsoft pays for that. Same with all first and second party exclusives, there is a lot of money being put into them and MS and Sony want them to sell consoles, so there is no way there'll be a PC version.

You'll never see a big publisher like EA, Ubisoft or Activision/Blizzard make a game exclusive to one system, other than PC: Simcity, Anno, WOW, ...

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

PC. To say that they have no exclusives is kind of silly. I upgraded my PC just so I could play upcoming games like, The Forest, Routine, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Which, by the way, none of those games are RTS. I'm not a ignorant child that has hate for a gaming system, but at the moment there is simply no games on current gen systems worth playing and I don't see any coming out for a long time. Also, most games that look truly exciting are multi plats. There is no need for me to purchase a console yet.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k

@Cloud_imperium said:

@elkoldo said:

There are more Remedy games on PC than on consoles . Their every game made for Xbox 360 is on PC as definitive version . Not on PS3 though .

There are also more Rockstar games on PC than on PS3, PS4, XBone or Xbox 360 ...

And seeing through which lengths Remedy has gone to get Alan Wake on PC, I'm pretty QB has a good chance of seeing a PC release as well.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Luckily the quality of blockbuster exclusives tend to be a let down.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cloud_imperium

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

There are also more Rockstar games on PC than on PS3, PS4, XBone or Xbox 360 ...

And seeing through which lengths Remedy has gone to get Alan Wake on PC, I'm pretty QB has a good chance of seeing a PC release as well.

It will be , after few months for sure .

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

No because PC isn't getting the good games these days.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IgGy621985

@R4gn4r0k said:

The only reason why a developer like Crytek makes an Xbox exclusive is because of the massive amounts of money Microsoft pays for that. Same with all first and second party exclusives, there is a lot of money being put into them and MS and Sony want them to sell consoles, so there is no way there'll be a PC version.

You'll never see a big publisher like EA, Ubisoft or Activision/Blizzard make a game exclusive to one system, other than PC: Simcity, Anno, WOW, ...

Yeah, pretty much. I think Crysis 1 was one of the last of those.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

PC no contest. Most of those saying console are clueless console only gamers that are on the outside looking in, but have never actually stepped foot in to really know wtf they are talking about.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@KungfuKitten said:

Luckily the quality of blockbuster exclusives tend to be a let down.

I like the quality of a lot of console exclusives. Exclusives are the only reason I still buy consoles.

It's just a shame that some people equate marketing budget to quality of the game. Like for example a really well known, well marketed game on console is amazing quality. And a hidden gem on PC is instantly crap because it's not well known.

I can appreciate games for what they are worth. And not for how well marketed or well reviewed they are.

@IgGy621985 said:

Yeah, pretty much. I think Crysis 1 was one of the last of those.

I really liked the Crysis series, all 4 of them. When Crytek announced that the series would be done and they would be moving on to F2P games, as that was the future according to them, I instantly lost any interest.

Their games have also been of very poor quality lately. Though their engines are still great and its good to see that Cyengine 3 is quite popular.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@MegamanX97: the comment on Diablo is stupid.... for many many reasons. the only reason people ever said the console version is better because it launched with the real-money-acution-house removed and an improved loot system.... all of which is the same on the PC now, only with the propr non-lan only online and eve more features.

RTS, MMO, Sim , kickstarters like Star Citizen, sadly games like Day Z ..... the now biggest online genre out there MOBA's ....

You cant convince people, but PC is objectively light years ahead. consoles always playing catchup.

Took them nearly 10 years to trend online shooters.... 10 years after the WoW-boom they are now starting to see some MMOs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@IgGy621985 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

IT depends what you mean? considering there are numerous PC exclusives out there that are playing in the millions on a daily basis.... 5-10 years after their creation... is that not what "real quality" is about? what is a "Block-buster exclusive" ... just a 10 hour flashy game that has a ridiculous budget and wants to be a movie?

I mean.... look at the sad reality of Sony's current "exclusives" ... gran turismo has taken a nose dive in relevance/quality. Little Big Planet is about the only creative one left. the 4 spammed franchises of last generation were Killzone, Resistance, Uncharted and god of war ... (which the latter also took a quality nose dive.).... andnow Last of Us will be milked... none of these franchises i might add ARE THE BEST IN THEIR RESPECTIVE GENRES IN GAMEPLAY.

Are games like DoTA, LoL, WoTs, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, ect not the "real blockbusters" here... 500k+ people playing them at peak years after their creation.... because of the gameplay.

no... there are not more console exclusives and there never have been... just big budget flashy games appealing to casuals (not specifically a bad thing.)... but the idea that these GAMES are higher quality because of their PRESENTATION is a joke.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BattleSpectre

It's so nice to actually see PC and Console fans getting a long in a thread for once..... lol.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@MegamanX97: the comment on Diablo is stupid.... for many many reasons. the only reason people ever said the console version is better because it launched with the real-money-acution-house removed and an improved loot system.... all of which is the same on the PC now, only with the propr non-lan only online and eve more features.

When did this happen for the PC? I might just have to buy this game now. I loved Diablo 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@MBirdy88 said:

When did this happen for the PC? I might just have to buy this game now. I loved Diablo 2.

awhile back, and its got an expansion now... and a new adventure mode which is apperently really good.

make no mistake... its the version to get.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

I did build a gaming PC recently.....but I still really don't see any games worth purchasing on the PC that aren't available on consoles. The games are underwhelming.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Wait a minute. If it's all about games, what games are on the PS4 and XB1 right now that warrant a purchase of a console over a gaming PC? Everyone keeps bringing up Naughty Dog. You know that you will be waiting until Summer-Holiday 2015 right? Greatness Awaits I know. And the fact that PC has far superior versions of all multiplats must count for something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

It's so nice to actually see PC and Console fans getting a long in a thread for once..... lol.

This must change.

#lolconsoles

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

I did build a gaming PC recently.....but I still really don't see any games worth purchasing on the PC that aren't available on consoles. The games are underwhelming.

Ditto, at least currently. There's piles and piles of random indie games on Steam that I've been enjoying, but very few big name games that blow my mind. I reckon Civ and Total War are the only amazing exclusive series I've gained. Meanwhile I'm glad I have a PS4 and WiiU for Sony and Nintendo 1st party, Bungie, Rockstar, Platinum Games, Kojima Productions games.

At least I didn't have to get an X1 for Titanfall though ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@LJS9502_basic said:

we get it, you like shallow blockbuster games with little to no cooperative or competitive value.... and same old same old.

Built a gaming PC... didn't like any games... then why do it in the first place.

@PonchoTaco wish granted :D

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BattleSpectre

@PonchoTaco said:

@BattleSpectre said:

This must change.

#lolconsoles

What did you say? Put em' up Put em' up!

lol. Fanboys can all go die a horrible slow painful death in my opinion, and then I'll piss on their graves. Yes I've just gone full retard.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

we get it, you like shallow blockbuster games with little to no cooperative or competitive value.... and same old same old.

Built a gaming PC... didn't like any games... then why do it in the first place.

Such butt hurt man. Shallow blockbusters? No I just happen to like good games. I just don't really see any for computers that aren't available elsewhere. But hey.....whatever you need to tell yourself to stop from crying. Maybe you can save up and buy some consoles and not be so bitter.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

@ladyblue said:

Theres nothing appealing about pc gaming to me. A bunch of rts games, and indies(not meant as a negative, I like indies) that will more than likely appear on consoles.

It's annoying when posters regurgitate some of this ignorant twaddle and pass it off as a genuine opinion instead of only using it to troll. The latter I can somewhat respect; the former is just annoying,

Onto topic, PC wins all day.

More genres/variety (and AAA developed exclusives therein {ARMA3,Simcity,Civ 5,Total War, Reaper of Souls,Tribes Ascend etc} none of which are "RTS or indie" though there are those too (Starcraft 2 etc- I dont play any indie games), better graphics, better gameplay/performance, more exclusives, 95 % or more of AAA multi-plats this gen and by far the best version of those, mods, customizbility (game however you want with what every you want wherever you want), stellar upcoming exclusives like Star Citizen, The Forest, Elite Dangerous, Routine etc.

All of this on one platform. Realistically if you're gaming on a single console platform or even a couple you'll only get about 4 or 5 really top quality, critically acclaimed games that you wouldn't on PC. While PC is getting the same (except they arent all 3rd person cover shooter movie games). Everywhere else you're getting taken to the cleaners by PC Gaming.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Not gonna be even until pc starts gettting some goty exclusives and stops missing out on the biggest titles of the generation.

Consoles always win.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Need consoles to play the best games the industry has to offer.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@locopatho said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Ditto, at least currently. There's piles and piles of random indie games on Steam that I've been enjoying, but very few big name games that blow my mind. I reckon Civ and Total War are the only amazing exclusive series I've gained. Meanwhile I'm glad I have a PS4 and WiiU for Sony and Nintendo 1st party, Bungie, Rockstar, Platinum Games, Kojima Productions games.

Have you tried the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series yet? It's definitely worth a try whenever it goes on sale. Even if you don't end up liking the game, you would have to be completely soulless to not appreciate its atmosphere.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By 7MDMA

@xboxdone74 said:

Not gonna be even until pc starts gettting some goty exclusives and stops missing out on the biggest titles of the generation.

Consoles always win.

You've just proved my point. The only argument for console over PC is a handful of critically acclaimed exclusives (which lack replayability btw) so basically NG games (Uncharted 2 and TLOU). I'm sure we all know the sublime proper version of GTA V is releasing later this year on PC. Everywhere else it's a wash in every respect. I'm not really sure about the big Xbox/Wii exclusives but you can play the likes of Mario Galaxy 2 on your PC as well as earlier generation console titles and Gears of War/Halo Evolved. The AAA blockbuster exclusives on those platforms are later versions of those games (rehashes and sequels.) I can definetely see Sony having the edge over the other console platforms though- more, better exclusives and IP.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

PC all the way. Best exclusives, best multiplats, best graphics, best controls, no disk-swapping, multiple monitors, cheaper games, player-owned servers for most games, mods, free online multiplayer, support for thousands of input/control devices...

It just doesn't get any better.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By 7MDMA

@Heil68 said:

All 2 of them? And ask yourself: do they have a lot of replayability or are they more like cinematic events that you only experience a few times.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@7mdma said:

@Heil68 said:

All 2 of them? And ask yourself: do they have a lot of replayability or are they more like cinematic events that you only experience a few times.

I own everything because I dont want to miss any great games. no matter what your justification is, consoles are worth owning.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@locopatho said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Have you tried the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series yet? It's definitely worth a try whenever it goes on sale. Even if you don't end up liking the game, you would have to be completely soulless to not appreciate its atmosphere.

Oh yeah Stalker is very cool, I was on about the upcoming gen :)

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 7MDMA

@Heil68 said:

@7mdma said:

@Heil68 said:

I own everything because I dont want to miss any great games. no matter what your justification is, consoles are worth owning.

I do agree to some respect but this thread is about a direct comparison between the platforms. Anyway, its too early for me to consider owning gen console at this point. I'll probably wait a good couple of years before doing so, depending on whats released.