PC already more powerful then even the NEXT set consoles.

• 84 results
#1 Posted by scatteh316 (6858 posts) -

Consoles are limited by power consumption.

PS3 at launch packed the fastest single PC GPU on the planet inside, the 7800GTX and the whole system pulled 200w of power while gaming, this was reduced over the years through die shrinks.

The 200w power consumption cap is still the killer and is what limited Sony's GPU choice for PS4 as it can use anything up to 180w+ while gaming.

7800GTX - 90w of power consumed

HD 7850 - 100w of power consumed

A top end R290x can use up to 300w+ of power by itself.

It will take YEARS for a ~100w card to offer the same performance that a 300w+ R290x offers today, for that high end performance to filter through to smaller, lower end devices.

So PS5 and Xbone.2 might only have GPU's no faster then the ultra high end GPU's we have today due to power demands and budgets.

The era of consoles launching with faster hardware then PC is truly OVER....

#3 Posted by scatteh316 (6858 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Maybe time for you to leave SW and go to the General forums?

#4 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:

@lostrib said:

#5 Edited by scatteh316 (6858 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@scatteh316 said:

@lostrib said:

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#6 Edited by ShepardCommandr (4796 posts) -

#7 Edited by BldgIrsh (3044 posts) -

/Sub-Forum

#8 Edited by ConanTheStoner (17032 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:

@lostrib said:

@scatteh316 said:

@lostrib said:

#9 Posted by m3dude1 (2241 posts) -

may god help you if you honestly believe ps5 wont have a more powerful gpu than a 290x,

#10 Posted by R3FURBISHED (12330 posts) -

@scatteh316: "can be" you forgot that part in your post. Everything is dependent upon what your hardware is.

#11 Edited by HitmanActual (815 posts) -

#12 Posted by topgunmv (10743 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:

PS3 at launch packed the fastest single PC GPU on the planet inside, the 7800GTX and the whole system pulled 200w of power while gaming, this was reduced over the years through die shrinks.

The 200w power consumption cap is still the killer and is what limited Sony's GPU choice for PS4 as it can use anything up to 180w+ while gaming.

It will take YEARS for a ~100w card to offer the same performance that a 300w+ R290x offers today, for that high end performance to filter through to smaller, lower end devices.

So PS5 and Xbone.2 might only have GPU's no faster then the ultra high end GPU's we have today due to power demands and budgets.

Actually the R290x eats up a little over 400 watts.

Also:

@lostrib said:

#13 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

i remember very well back in 09 how everyone was saying that next gen could never have a gpu more powerful than a gtx460...

#14 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Is this the goddamn PC forum? Tech specs are for nerds who never get any.

#15 Edited by lglz1337 (4942 posts) -

bla bla bla bla here we go again pc spreadsheet race and cannot provide a better looking game than the Order 1886!

#16 Edited by kinectthedots (3383 posts) -

Someone sure has an obsession with PS4 and it's power.

No one debates the fact that there are PC's more powerful than PS4 right now so what is this really about? Oh, are you are just another closet lem hiding behind PC?

The only problem with high end PC technology is that it is not really utilized by developers, modders have to step in and do the work to get closer to the real performance advantage that their GPU offers. That said, this is just another butthurt closet-lem hiding behind PC thread making an argument that no one was debating in the first place.

#17 Posted by Gaming-Planet (18540 posts) -

By then we will have 10-5nm transistor nodes. We could use graphene nanotubes to dissipate the heat. Heck, we might just replace Silicon with Graphene.

#18 Edited by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Is this the goddamn PC forum? Tech specs are for nerds who never get any.

i bet the chicks love your gummy buttons and analog sticks...so hawt

#19 Posted by blamix99 (2685 posts) -

okay...

#20 Posted by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

Yet most gaming PC's aren't even stronger than PS4 so LOL.

#22 Edited by edwardecl (2240 posts) -

You do realise those high end high power cards are not what most people buy right?

Of course if you overclock cards and add insane amounts of cooling you can have something faster than something else, it's not for everyone.

I thought the PS4 was 150W + USB power if used...

#23 Edited by gpuking (3914 posts) -

And this is why you're not the CTO of AMD or Nvidia, or ever will be. Different architecture, more die shrink, hell even different fabric would make the nextgen consoles leaps and bounds faster.

#24 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

I love PC Gaming but Power and Graphics has nothing to do with it.... But you never hear about the other stuff.... :(

#25 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161718 posts) -

Who the **** cares? Gaming is about entertainment and playing games.

#26 Posted by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

Sigh. .and yet, pc beggars will continue to beg and petition for ports of console games. I mean..a decade without a goty exclusive? That's sad.

#27 Posted by Bruin1986 (1629 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Sigh. .and yet, pc beggars will continue to beg and petition for ports of console games. I mean..a decade without a goty exclusive? That's sad.

Star Craft II was GOTY quality, it's just that RTS is considered a niche genre today because of the extremely high skill cap.

Shame really.

#28 Posted by MonsieurX (36672 posts) -

Cool story

#29 Posted by tormentos (26626 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

Sadly you can't do that on Intel integrated graphics or 560TI which is what most of steam have mostly...hahahaha...

That say PC is a never ending next gen.

#30 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (6607 posts) -
@amazonangry said:

Stanley Parable won a couple of GOTY last year from a few magazines. Also, no game of the decade for consoles? Sad.

See how stupid the argument is?

#31 Posted by Telekill (7320 posts) -

The animal pics are the best part of this thread and the main reason I keep coming into threads like this.

#32 Posted by MonsieurX (36672 posts) -
@deadline-zero0 said:
@amazonangry said:

Stanley Parable won a couple of GOTY last year from a few magazines. Also, no game of the decade for consoles? Sad.

See how stupid the argument is?

But it's an indie,they don't count!!!11

#33 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (7870 posts) -

That might be less of an issue in future. both AMD and Nvidia are dealing with power consumption. The Maxwell GPUs offer twice the performance per watt. The standard GTX750Ti uses 60watts and the top variant of partner cards (overclocked GPU and RAM) use upto 75 watts and perform like cards that uses twice as much power.

The next series of Nvidia cards using Maxwell will be interesting.

#34 Edited by thehig1 (6148 posts) -

@deadline-zero0: exactly spot on,

so what actually won game of the year last year because there are plenty of different magazines and websites that do it.

#35 Posted by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

@MonsieurX:

Last goty pc exclusive on GS was WoW.

Pc came is dead last in gen 7 for goty exclusives.

#36 Posted by MonsieurX (36672 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

@MonsieurX:

Last goty pc exclusive on GS was WoW.

Pc came is dead last in gen 7 for goty exclusives.

Yet,there's more active subs in WoW than PS4 buyers

LOL

#37 Edited by SuddenlyTragic (976 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:

So you're basing all of this on power consumption? Aren't Nvidia's new Maxwell-based GPU's supposed to be very power efficient and use less power than previous lines of graphics cards?

#38 Posted by sam890 (1108 posts) -

I love how these console peasants are pulling stats on gaming PCs from Steam.

#39 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (6607 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

so what actually won game of the year last year because there are plenty of different magazines and websites that do it.

Pretty much. I always prefer scores from official reviewers and even users. If i remember, black ops 2 also won a goty. This is why i feel awards, even HF2 winning GOTD, are pointless.

#40 Edited by Truth_Hurts_U (9703 posts) -

Well let's do some math here.

PS3 GPU is 192 GFLOPS.

PS4 GPU is 1.84 TFLOPS.

PS4 GPU is 9.58 times more powerful then PS3's.

PS3 is 7 years old on PS4 release. Which means 9.58 divided by 7 = 1.369 of power growth per year.

If PS5 was to release in 5 years. 1.369 (growth) x 5 years = 6.845 times in power.

PS5 will be 1,840 (GFLOPS) x 6.845 (growth) = 12.595 (TFLOPS) in GPU performance.

12.59 TFLOPS is enough for 4K resolution. Since 4K is 4 x 1080p. PS5 GPU is almost 7 times powerful.

#41 Posted by CTR360 (8365 posts) -

i love my ps4

#43 Posted by -CC- (2046 posts) -

It really just depends on how long this Gen last. Lots can change between now and 2020ish. Of course by then a high end PC will stomp the new consoles and there will be another topic about this. So the next xbox to be called the Xbone2020?

#45 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (22034 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

Yet most gaming PC's aren't even stronger than PS4 so LOL.

Maybe. But, there are more stronger PCs than there are PS4s. Maybe next year for the PS4. But, not right now.

#46 Posted by thehig1 (6148 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@thehig1 said:

Pretty much. I always prefer scores from official reviewers and even users. If i remember, black ops 2 also won a goty. This is why i feel awards, even HF2 winning GOTD, are pointless.

I agree, and it becomes frustrating on System Wars when its constantly used as ammo for someone to support their system of choice and troll others

#47 Posted by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

@MonsieurX: well...well yes. Wow has been out for 10 years. :-\

#48 Edited by clr84651 (5630 posts) -

Trucks are more powerful than even the next set of cars to release. PCs & consoles are different. Shouldn't be compared.

Do you want to drive a truck or a car? Do you want to play on a PC or a console? \thread

#49 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

sony always finds ways to surprise us tc.

This gen the PS4's the only console with unified fast memory, gpgpu that doesn't trade quality for performance, the only true hsa system on the market right now.

#50 Edited by KungfuKitten (24410 posts) -

Let us celebrate the end of (MS and SONY) console gaming.