Patcher: Sony Will Drop The Price of PS4 PRO If Xbox Scorpio Is $399

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for tigerbalm
Tigerbalm

1118

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

The PlayStation 4 Pro launched a full year ahead of Microsoft’s release of the Xbox Scorpio later this year. On the one hand, that means that Sony was unable to make the Pro as powerful as the Scorpio, because of costs and tech available. On the other, however, it means that Sony is in a position to cut the price of the Pro and undercut the Scorpio when it launches.

Furthermore, Microsoft’s press conference at this year’s E3 is taking before Sony’s. Given that Microsoft will most likely announce a release date and price for the Scorpio at their conference, Sony will be in a position to react accordingly as far as cutting the PS4 Pro’s price is concerned. That is exactly what Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter thinks will happen at E3 this year.

Speaking to GamingBolt, Pachter said that Microsoft prices the Scorpio at $399, Sony will respond by cutting the Pro’s price., “PS4 Pro’s price will drop if Xbox Scorpio is $399. If Scorpio is more expensive, [then Sony have] no reason to cut the Pro’s price.”

I do think that a smaller price cut for the PS4 Pro may be guaranteed nonetheless. With that said, Pachter may be right, too- Pro is not the mass market mover, so Sony doesn’t have any reason to unnecessarily cut its profit margins from the hardware unless it has a compelling reason to.

Source: http://gamingbolt.com/sony-will-drop-the-price-of-ps4-pro-this-e3-if-xbox-scorpio-is-priced-at-399-michael-pachter

I personally feel that Sony doesn't have anything to worry about. I'm thinking the Scorpio will be at least $499.00.

Avatar image for Syferonik
Syferonik

3060

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Syferonik
Member since 2006 • 3060 Posts

Even if they do, it'll be by $50. That's nowhere near enough to compete with Scorpio's specs. But this won't happen because Scorpio will be $500.

Avatar image for lrdfancypants
lrdfancypants

3850

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

They're already selling a gold PS4 for $249.

That's pretty cheap for gold.

Avatar image for sHaDyCuBe321
sHaDyCuBe321

5769

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Can Sony afford to lower it?

Avatar image for jtothamtothap
JtoThaMtoThaP

1016

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

Good....lower it.

Avatar image for loe12k
loe12k

3465

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

Lower it to 250, i buy the console right now.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
hrt_rulz01

21112

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 21112 Posts

More and more I'm thinking Scorpio being $399 is unrealistic... especially at launch. I'm thinking $499.

Avatar image for loe12k
loe12k

3465

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@lrdfancypants said:

They're already selling a gold PS4 for $249.

That's pretty cheap for gold.

Should be $199 and same for xbox one.

Avatar image for xhawk27
xhawk27

11692

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 11692 Posts

I am thinking the Xbox Scorpio is going to be priced at $449.99 Consoles have never had a price like that before. They never had mid-gen new hardware either. ;)

Avatar image for enzyme36
enzyme36

5176

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5176 Posts

Why if? Either do it or dont

IF means they can afford to sell it at that cost, but continue to stick it to their fans instead. What xbox is doing should be irrelevant... but I guess we dont live in and do business in a vacuum

Avatar image for lrdfancypants
lrdfancypants

3850

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@loe12k: but it's gold!

It takes a lot of Troy ounces to make a gold PS4!

Avatar image for nathanbats
nathanbats

1057

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#12 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

Don't need an analyst to figure that out

Avatar image for Shewgenja
Shewgenja

21456

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#13 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Real talk, they are probably weighing a $50 price drop with a game bundled or a full $100 drop depending on Scorpio's pricing.

Avatar image for navyguy21
navyguy21

16207

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#14 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 16207 Posts

If MS markets the Scorpio right, it wont matter if Sony drops the price.

MS needs to sell it as the next big then, like a new console launch.

Anything else and you are relying on the masses to educate themselves.

........good luck with that lol.

MS needs to go all out and make it clear that Scorpio is a leap over Pro. Go on late night shows, commercials, partnerships, etc

I think the mistake Sony made with the Pro is marketing it as a PS4..........just better.

Apple fools people into getting a brand new phone 6mos latter because they make you feel like your old iphone is a piece of shit.

Avatar image for Nike_Air
Nike_Air

19663

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19663 Posts

I think they are planning $50 pricecuts for Slim , Pro , and PSVR sometime this year regardless of what Microsoft is doing.

Avatar image for GameboyTroy
GameboyTroy

9387

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#16 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9387 Posts

The PS4 Pro is selling "way ahead of expectations", says Sony.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/06/ps4_pro_selling_way_ahead_of_expectations_says_sony

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

10902

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#17 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 10902 Posts
@Shewgenja said:

Real talk, they are probably weighing a $50 price drop with a game bundled or a full $100 drop depending on Scorpio's pricing.

That will probably happen but I don't see them dropping it by $100 even if Scorpio is $400. Sony has the software advantage - there's no way Microsoft matches it in 2017/2018 - so keep the price in the $350-$400 range to make a larger profit per unit. Sony honestly shouldn't be worried about Scorpio outperforming the Pro, they should be worried about Scorpio or the One S outperforming the standard PS4. The standard PS4 is a behemoth; it still sells like crazy compared to the Pro and One S even though it has a multitude of disadvantages. No 4k? - Meh. No HDR? - Meh. No BC? - Meh. 30fps? - Meh. The list goes on.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
ronvalencia

29612

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@tigerbalm said:

The PlayStation 4 Pro launched a full year ahead of Microsoft’s release of the Xbox Scorpio later this year. On the one hand, that means that Sony was unable to make the Pro as powerful as the Scorpio, because of costs and tech available. On the other, however, it means that Sony is in a position to cut the price of the Pro and undercut the Scorpio when it launches.

Furthermore, Microsoft’s press conference at this year’s E3 is taking before Sony’s. Given that Microsoft will most likely announce a release date and price for the Scorpio at their conference, Sony will be in a position to react accordingly as far as cutting the PS4 Pro’s price is concerned. That is exactly what Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter thinks will happen at E3 this year.

Speaking to GamingBolt, Pachter said that Microsoft prices the Scorpio at $399, Sony will respond by cutting the Pro’s price., “PS4 Pro’s price will drop if Xbox Scorpio is $399. If Scorpio is more expensive, [then Sony have] no reason to cut the Pro’s price.”

I do think that a smaller price cut for the PS4 Pro may be guaranteed nonetheless. With that said, Pachter may be right, too- Pro is not the mass market mover, so Sony doesn’t have any reason to unnecessarily cut its profit margins from the hardware unless it has a compelling reason to.

Source: http://gamingbolt.com/sony-will-drop-the-price-of-ps4-pro-this-e3-if-xbox-scorpio-is-priced-at-399-michael-pachter

I personally feel that Sony doesn't have anything to worry about. I'm thinking the Scorpio will be at least $499.00.

https://www.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio

Personally, I'd say Pachter's $399 estimate is probably on the money, with $449 and $499 versions for bigger hard disk drives (HDDs). We'll doubtless find out Project Scorpio's price at E3 during June 2017.

BY JEZ CORDEN

Avatar image for SOedipus
SOedipus

13551

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13551 Posts

Is Pachter still relevant (was he ever) these days? I thought he went crumbling down with GT.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

33395

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 33395 Posts

I really don't get why people quote Pachter.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

12151

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#21 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

so ps4 pro price increase confirmed?

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
hrt_rulz01

21112

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#22 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 21112 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

I am thinking the Xbox Scorpio is going to be priced at $449.99 Consoles have never had a price like that before. They never had mid-gen new hardware either. ;)

Yeah that's the price I'm leaning towards.

Avatar image for lifelessablaze
lifelessablaze

1066

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#23 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

lifelessablaze: Scorpio will be retailed at $599.99