Paramount: Transformers HD-DVD doesn't have enough space for High-Res Audio

This topic is locked from further discussion.

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 naughtydog360
Member since 2007 • 805 Posts

Blue-ray is showing lights, i guess it wont be long until Blu-ray wins this war...

When audio specs for 'Transformers' were announced, there was a collective sigh of disappointment from early adopters when High-Def-Digest learned that there would be no high-res audio tracks included on this disc. Given that this is such a flagship title for the studio, the decision was quite the head-scratcher.

Indeed, High-Def-Digest had the opportunity to attend a special 'Transformers' media event with Paramount late last week, and the question was asked almost immediately -- why no Dolby TrueHD or uncompressed PCM? The studio's answer was that due to space limitations on the disc, the decision was made to limit the audio to Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Surround only (here at 1.5mbps). Unfortunately, this confirms the long-held theory that the 30Gb capacity of an HD-30 dual-layer HD DVD disc has forced studios to choose between offering a robust supplements package (as they've done here) and the very best in audio quality.

At the moment, the same thing is happing in gamming. All Xbox games are using Normal Audio tracks while Playstation eXclusives r using High-Res Audio.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

HD-DVD is coming out with a 50GB disk soon i believe.

in anycase its academic- even BluRay disks dont really have a huge capacity- the next gen holographic disks will blow everything outta the water- since they can store hundreds of Gigs onto a single disk- so u can have the whole lord of the rings on 1 disk with extras & hi-quality audio too.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Call me when it actually heps the PS3 have better games
AdolescentDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 AdolescentDon
Member since 2005 • 9081 Posts

Not that this is really the point you were making but.. I bet most people couldn't tell the difference between normal audio and "High-Res" audio.

SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts

:| Well perhaps they should use the 51 Gig one then.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/20070909234615.html

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

Not that this is really the point you were making but.. I bet most people couldn't tell the difference between normal audio and "High-Res" audio.

AdolescentDon

I know I can't

Game13a13y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Game13a13y
Member since 2004 • 2860 Posts

i thought Blu-ray has already won?

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

Call me when it actually heps the PS3 have better gamesLonelynight
QFT

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

the dvd forum just recently finished the 50gb hd dvd disc...

Currently, Blu-ray has the advantage in maximum disc capacity, but in September 2007 the DVD forum approved the triple layer 51GB HD DVD-ROM disc. Titles using the 51GB HD DVD discs have yet to be released as its a preliminary specification

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

although...i do find this very odd, do you have a link to your source?

As its mandatory to put Dolby TrueHD aaudio on HD DVD discs...on Blu ray it is optional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats#Technical_Details

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50716 Posts
With this I can say with a lot more rage a big **** you to Paramount for going HD DVD exclusive.
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Bigger capacity HD DVD's> Blu-Ray.
ChrisMun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChrisMun
Member since 2003 • 1100 Posts
Meh. Not this again.
nicenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nicenator
Member since 2005 • 1938 Posts

So the transformers HD-DVD is a dual layer and its not enough?

Im really fed up of this format war now. Blu-Ray will always have the advantage of space (i believe they've already tested a working 100GB disc). I really don't get what Paramount was doing signing that contract to go HD-DVD exclusive.

ByFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ByFly
Member since 2006 • 1917 Posts

So the transformers HD-DVD is a dual layer and its not enough?

Im really fed up of this format war now. Blu-Ray will always have the advantage of space (i believe they've already tested a working 100GB disc). I really don't get what Paramount was doing signing that contract to go HD-DVD exclusive.

nicenator

Its probably alot cheaper working with hddvd than Blu-Ray... How about the HD-DVD 51 GIG version... dont expect 100GB version of blu ray is payable...

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

First off, the vast majority cannot tell the difference between heavily compressed mp3 vs PCM audio. Secondly, 1.5 Mbps 5.1 DD soundtrack is more than adequate for most people (Remembering that High-Def Digest, I love them, but they are professional nit-pickers and huge A/Vphiles)

And before you start bellyaching about how I am teh biased, I have a PS3 and 360 and I would prefer Blu-Ray to win, or at least a format win.

DarkCloud79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkCloud79
Member since 2006 • 997 Posts

Will the HD DVD readers already out for the 360 be able to play the 51G HD DVD?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox  Online

Will the HD DVD readers already out for the 360 be able to play the 51G HD DVD?

DarkCloud79

Don't see why not, but the HD DVD for the 360 is gimped I think because it can't play any of the high end DTS or Dolby.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox  Online

First off, the vast majority cannot tell the difference between heavily compressed mp3 vs PCM audio. Secondly, 1.5 Mbps 5.1 DD soundtrack is more than adequate for most people (Remembering that High-Def Digest, I love them, but they are professional nit-pickers and huge A/Vphiles)

And before you start bellyaching about how I am teh biased, I have a PS3 and 360 and I would prefer Blu-Ray to win, or at least a format win.

SpruceCaboose

If you have the right equiqment and set everything up right, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Speaking for myslef atleast, I will never go back to anything not DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD if I can help it.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

Chutebox

If you have the right equiqment and set everything up right, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Speaking for myslef atleast, I will never go back to anything not DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD if I can help it.

I am sure there are people who would tell the difference. I am talking the majority. I can tell the difference between HD video and film transfers. Would the majority though? No.

Just like the majority is fine with heavily compressed mp3 audio on their iPods.

If it came down to video quality or an HD Audio track, I could easily see why they'd choose video quality, as that is what most HD enthusiasts want.

A Dolby Digital track will be loud and sound great. Maybe not compared to the discrete ability of Dolby TrueHD, but it would sound more than good enough, and mose HD-DVD owners will want Transformers as a visual demo disc that shows why HD is the way to go. Its not so much about sound, as the video being impressive.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox  Online
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

SpruceCaboose

I am sure there are people who would tell the difference. I am talking the majority. I can tell the difference between HD video and film transfers. Would the majority though? No.

Just like the majority is fine with heavily compressed mp3 audio on their iPods.

If it came down to video quality or an HD Audio track, I could easily see why they'd choose video quality, as that is what most HD enthusiasts want.

A Dolby Digital track will be loud and sound great. Maybe not compared to the discrete ability of Dolby TrueHD, but it would sound more than good enough, and mose HD-DVD owners will want Transformers as a visual demo disc that shows why HD is the way to go. Its not so much about sound, as the video being impressive.

Oh no, I agree. For people really not into it I would be surprised if they can hear a difference. But if you think about it, is the HD DVD really worth it then if you're only getting 1/2 of the HD experience? When I get a Blu Ray(I don't have a HD DVD player), I want both 1080p and HD sound. I think consumers will get really ripped off if they buy the HD DVD version.(got a little off topic there)

batistafan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 batistafan99
Member since 2006 • 2592 Posts
link?
naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 naughtydog360

in anycase its academic- even BluRay disks dont really have a huge capacity- the next gen holographic disks will blow everything outta the water- since they can store hundreds of Gigs onto a single disk- so u can have the whole lord of the rings on 1 disk with extras & hi-quality audio too.

CwlHeddwyn

You never heard ?

100 Gig Blu-ray CDS are confirmed and guess what ? They also confirmed that they run on Current players, including the PS3.. all they need is a Firmware update.

HDDVD is going go to go through hell, we also dont know if the 51 GB HD DVD disk would only need a firmware update to the drives or a totally new drive ;)

If the 51 GB HD DVD needs all new HD DVD drive, and you own a HD-DVD player then get ready to cash in for a new one :p

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts
While this does show limitations, dont even pretend its a big deal. The loss rate on 1.5mbs dolby 5.1 is around 3%. The overall final difference is practically nonexistent.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
This is not relating to gaming.
Pripyat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pripyat
Member since 2007 • 991 Posts

I think consumers will get really ripped off if they buy the HD DVD version.(got a little off topic there)Chutebox

The HD-DVD version is the only HD version available.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8283 Posts

http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-74839.aspx

Hehe it's true.. First I thought it was some kind of a forum post.

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]

naughtydog360

You never heard ?

100 Gig Blu-ray CDS are confirmed and guess what ? They also confirmed that they run on Current players, including the PS3.. all they need is a Firmware update.

HDDVD is going go to go through hell

Maybe now they could make Heavenly Sword 14 hours instead of 7.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]I think consumers will get really ripped off if they buy the HD DVD version.(got a little off topic there)Pripyat

I know that. What I mean is they aren't getting the full HD experience theyshould get when they buy a blu ray or HD DVD movie. Thus, they are getting ripped off.

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 naughtydog360
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"][QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]

Pro_wrestler

You never heard ?

HDDVD is going go to go through hell

Maybe now they could make Heavenly Sword 14 hours instead of 7.

More disk place doesnt mean longer hours, it means more space for developers. Better sound qualitly and bigger textures ;)

naughtydog360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 naughtydog360

[QUOTE="Pripyat"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]I think consumers will get really ripped off if they buy the HD DVD version.(got a little off topic there)Chutebox

I know that. What I mean is they aren't getting the full HD experience theyshould get when they buy a blu ray or HD DVD movie. Thus, they are getting ripped off.

paramount should make the HD-DVD disc transform into a blu-ray

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

At the moment, the same thing is happing in gamming. All Xbox games are using Normal Audio tracks while Playstation eXclusives r using High-Res Audio.

naughtydog360
Proof?  Post the sampling rate, bit depth, and compression algorithm (if any) with bit rate in use in some multiplat and PS3 exclusives.  Otherwise, you're just making this up.
Xolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xolver
Member since 2005 • 2052 Posts

Aren't there already Octi-layered BR discs on the works?

For the people who go "doesn't mean they make better games", well guess what? It does.

First, sound matters even for unexperienced people. Look at FFVII's PC and PS1 versions. Also, when I hear music from anywhere other than my house, I go "doesn't this sound a bit weird to you?" (and all I have is two speakers and a subwoofer, all crappy).

Second, I already said this in another thread, the space only makes the games IMPROVE. It can't make them worse, no matter what. So while people may find "game X" better than "game X sequel", there's no reason for them not to like "game X better soundtrack and CGI" better than the original. Kapich?

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

Maybe now they could make Heavenly Sword 14 hours instead of 7.Pro_wrestler

And maybe if M$ implemented HD DVD then Halo 3 could actually be in HD instead of upconverted and actually next gen.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chutebox  Online
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

lowe0

Proof? Post the sampling rate, bit depth, and compression algorithm (if any) with bit rate in use in some multiplat and PS3 exclusives. Otherwise, you're just making this up.

360 isn't capable of running DTS-HD MA(PS3 isn't atm either) or Dolby TrueHD. This is a known fact.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Chutebox  Online
[QUOTE="naughtydog360"]

lowe0

Proof? Post the sampling rate, bit depth, and compression algorithm (if any) with bit rate in use in some multiplat and PS3 exclusives. Otherwise, you're just making this up.

360 isn't capable of running DTS-HD MA(PS3 isn't atm either) or Dolby TrueHD. This is a known fact.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
lol, this is really funny imo.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Pro_wrestler"]Maybe now they could make Heavenly Sword 14 hours instead of 7.hiryu3

And maybe if M$ implemented HD DVD then Halo 3 could actually be in HD instead of upconverted and actually next gen.

HD DVD component for 360 is movie only, I'm almost 100% sure it can't play games or can't in the future.

MahlerFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MahlerFreak
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts
The engineer who did the master theatrical audio said the DD+ soundtrack is transparent to the studio master. I believe you'll find that in the rest of the quote from TC.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

Ummm can you even have high-res audio? Considering the term resolution as applied to HD means:

The fineness of detail that can be distinguished in an image, as on a video display terminal.