Pachter: "PlayStation 5 Will Be Dead on Arrival..."

• 102 results
#51 Posted by getyeryayasout (12343 posts) -

I can't imagine PS5 launching at $800, but I have been wondering if Sony's mentions about PS5 being "niche" and "for the hardcore" aren't foretelling a higher than expected price tag.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#52 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3251 posts) -

@heirren:

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/how-many-subscription-services-are-you-willing-to--32292878/

That thread will give you a good representation of what I’m talking about.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#53 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4754 posts) -

I'm sorry but $800 bucks would be niche as ****. Sony getting baited into a dick measuring contest with MS over who can release the most powerful and expensive closed box would be one of the dumbest moves ever. So I'm writing this one off.

#54 Posted by Archangel3371 (28158 posts) -

Perhaps Sony is getting Pachter to put out that crazy number so that they can launch the PS5 at $600 hoping that they’ll just go, “Well at least it’s not $800.” Makes you think. 🤔

#55 Posted by Heirren (1596 posts) -

@goldenelementxl:

A thread. On system wars?

Ahhh hahahaha hahahahaaaaa ahhh hahahaha.

Cmon now. Even if accurate i thought you had actual numbers.

#56 Posted by dagubot (1339 posts) -

I would love to see it at $800 so that I can sit back and watch the outcry from everyone...lmao.

#57 Posted by Xabiss (2717 posts) -

Fanboys only use Patches when he fits their narrative. This guy I don't even get why people listen to him.

#58 Posted by BaelNergal (280 posts) -

If the PS5 is dead on arrival, I will eat whatever hat @zaryia picks.

There is no way this is going to happen. $600 I can see, but not $800.

#59 Posted by sakaiXx (5712 posts) -

Patcher doing some marketing work. He is using PS branding instead of including Xbox cause it generates click even though internal specs for both system is the same. Had he used Xbox nobody would bat an eye.

#60 Edited by ronvalencia (28082 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

PCIe gen 4 is 'spensive.

I don't think Sony is stupid enough to do that though. No doubt they remember the PS3 launch.

They will cut corners somewhere and get the price down to $500 or then it will really be DOA.

PC's many PCI-E Gen 4 trace lines on the PCB are not required on a game console.

Cheaper A520 and B550 motherboards are planned to be released next year. Read https://www.techpowerup.com/256547/asmedia-sourced-amd-b550-a520-chipset-motherboards-arrive-in-2020

According to DigiTimes, ASMedia will tape out its next-generation AMD-platform chipset silicon, and is on track to shipping its new chipsets to motherboard manufacturers by Q4-2019.

This would pin availability of the first motherboards based on these chipsets to at least Q1 2020. These chipsets not only feature PCI-Express gen 4.0 downstream lanes, but also boards based on these will be built to AMD's PCB requirements for the new platform, enabling a PCI-Express 4.0 x16 slot for discrete graphics, and revised CPU VRM and memory wiring specifications that improve overclocking over the previous generation platform. For now there are two SKUs in the works, the B550, which succeeds the B450, and the A520, succeeding the A320.

AMD's motherboard and chip-set partners are working on cost reduction issues.

When fleet PC's NAVI IGP+Zen v2 APU arrives, it's sync with cheaper A520 and B550 motherboard releases.

Michael Pachter shouldn't assume AMD is doing nothing for fleet PC markets.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#61 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3251 posts) -

@heirren: This is a sample of your peers. Then look st the PS4 software attach rates. The average PS4 owner has 9.6 games in almost 6 years. The Switch has been out 4 years less than the PS4 and has better exclusive sales. Cows claim “it’s because Sheep have nothing else to play” but the truth is clear. The average PS4/Xbox One fan only buys a couple games a year at most. Then take into account that only around 40% of PS owners pay for +. The numbers are all out there. If I wasn’t on mobile I would put them all here.

#62 Posted by Epak_ (10678 posts) -

Yup, a triumphant success it is then.

#63 Posted by Litchie (24040 posts) -

I'll never understand your fascination with Pachter. He's an idiot. Please stop giving him attention.

#64 Posted by True_Gamer_ (6745 posts) -
@goldenelementxl said:

@heirren: This is a sample of your peers. Then look st the PS4 software attach rates. The average PS4 owner has 9.6 games in almost 6 years. The Switch has been out 4 years less than the PS4 and has better exclusive sales. Cows claim “it’s because Sheep have nothing else to play” but the truth is clear. The average PS4/Xbox One fan only buys a couple games a year at most. Then take into account that only around 40% of PS owners pay for +. The numbers are all out there. If I wasn’t on mobile I would put them all here.

Espesially in Europe

Millions play ONLY ONE GAME and buy a console for ONE GAME ONLY aka the drug thats called football aka FUT aka FIFA

#65 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10365 posts) -

Pachter is about the worst predictor in human history. He predicted the Wii will do horrible.

#66 Edited by Macutchi (6798 posts) -

e3 show host: "say something wild the resetera forums are going to talk about."

pachter: "ps5. $800. have you seen the specs?"

host: (deadpan) "well they're not going to charge $800."

pachter: "i hope not"

1 month later.

system wars: "pachter: ps5 dead on arrival!"

#67 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10016 posts) -

@Litchie said:

I'll never understand your fascination with Pachter. He's an idiot. Please stop giving him attention.

Loading Video...

Thats all we have to say about michael patcher.

#68 Posted by DaVillain- (36951 posts) -

@baelnergal said:

If the PS5 is dead on arrival, I will eat whatever hat @zaryia picks.

There is no way this is going to happen. $600 I can see, but not $800.

And if PS5 were to be $800, then you might as well spend that kind of money building a PC cause for $800, it'll blow PS5 out of the waters. But really, $800 for a console is a dead zone.

#69 Posted by ButDuuude (1356 posts) -

His opinion is as good as anyone’s opinion on this forum...

#70 Posted by Litchie (24040 posts) -
@ButDuuude said:

His opinion is as good as anyone’s opinion on this forum...

I'd say our guesses are better, since we are gamers. And aren't wrong all the time.

#71 Posted by ButDuuude (1356 posts) -

@Litchie: You’re probably right.

#72 Posted by I_P_Daily (12045 posts) -

C'mon Pachter is a moron, and the first time I ever heard of him was when some idiot posted something from him on here.

#73 Posted by npiet1 (2318 posts) -

Even if it cost $800 to make, they aren't going to sell for more then $500. They will take the loss because of the 140 million or so PS4 sold. Then recoup the loss on game sales, like they have done over and over again.

#74 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25849 posts) -

This is very concerning, we could be looking at the downfall of an industry giant. Paccers is a wise man who knows what he is talking about.

#75 Posted by tormentos (29198 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

Yeah and compare 3rd party sales on switch vs the PS4 and see what you get.

How many pay for Nintendo online?

40% of the PS4 user base is as much PS4+ as switch sold hell i think even more.

#76 Posted by SecretPolice (35338 posts) -

Well duh...

:P

#77 Posted by Heirren (1596 posts) -

@goldenelementxl:

I only have a switch.

#78 Edited by BoxRekt (1812 posts) -
@goldenelementxl said:

@heirren: This is a sample of your peers. Then look st the PS4 software attach rates. The average PS4 owner has 9.6 games in almost 6 years. ...

That's some glorious spin bud.

That 9.6 games for PS4 is the HIGHEST attach rate of any console EVER. Stop it with the misinformation.

Also your so called "evidence" doesn't have anything to do with buying games or systems! That thread was on PSN and XBL onlinesubscription which SHOULD be free anyway, and not even PC gamers want to pay to play online. FAIL

Wow and you had to go back 3 YEARS to dig up that weak submission of evidence lol.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#79 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24277 posts) -

You do realize this guy is saying stuff like this for attention, right?

#80 Posted by emgesp (7832 posts) -

Nobody is releasing a $600 console let alone a $800 one. People need to start using some common sense.

#81 Posted by Heirren (1596 posts) -

@emgesp:

People built a habit of buying 700+ dollar phones every year or two. Lol.

#82 Posted by tdkmillsy (3133 posts) -

Surely with both PS5 and next Xbox using similar insides, they should be about the same price. It would be interesting if both where at the $800 level but I really don't see it.

#83 Posted by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

I don't understand if his job is to make actual predictions, or to say things that gives him media attention. He is pretty good at the latter, but awful at the former. Anyway how can he predict, one year in advance, that Sony will price their next console so stupidly that it will be dead in the water? Seems kind of arrogant...

#84 Posted by Pedro (34958 posts) -

@heirren: Phones are multi purpose devices that is used significantly more than consoles. They are mobile PCs on the go. So, comparing the two doesn't make sense.

#85 Posted by Heirren (1596 posts) -

@Pedro:

Sure it does. The flagship phones dont do much more than the mid range, and its an unnecessary purchase when an older phone works just fine. An iphone 7 still functions just fine.

Game consoles have become many peoples media hubs, especially for parents who can kill two birds with one stones by having the hub double as a game machine as well. People use them for games, streaming, and hard disk media playback. These are products that last almost ten years. People see the value and the interface is much faster than say, a samsung bluray player woth streaming capabilities.

#86 Posted by Icarian (1869 posts) -

Oh, Sony. A console and serious gamers.. cant't deny I chuckled a little.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#87 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29128 posts) -

The last time Sony won a gen, they released the next one at $600.

It's like winning the gen makes you stupid.

See also, Wii then Wii U, and Snes then N64.

#88 Posted by Pedro (34958 posts) -

@heirren: None of what you stated makes consoles comparable to phones. There is a reason why phones sell in the billions and not millions and it's not because they are similar to consoles. So, taking the phone market and applying its strategy to consoles is a rather foolish venture.

#89 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29128 posts) -

@howmakewood said:

Its amazing how someone still pays him.

I'm sure he makes a lot of people a lot of money on the daily.

These little video game predictions are just to upset the children who don't know anything about the world of business or finance.

#90 Posted by sirk1264 (5997 posts) -

Considering it will have a zen 2 cpu and a Navi gpu, I wouldn’t be surprised if it did cost like 500-600 dollars. 800 sounds a little high. These next consoles won’t come cheap imo unless Sony and Microsoft are willing to take a loss on the system.

#91 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (29128 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

@heirren:

1 - Console gamers don’t like to spend more than $399 for consoles.

2 - Console gamers bitch about $60 games and micro transactions.

3 - Recent polls on this site have illustrated how many of you don’t actually have the online subscriptions. I wonder if that’s why so many here claim to hate multiplayer games and love narrative driven single player games

Gamers in forums, comment sections, reddit, and twitter are not representative of what gamers really want or what they really do.

I mean nobody here claims to play fortnite and yet....billion dollar game.

This is why any claims that a majority of "gamers" hate something is ludicrous and often a straight up lie.

#92 Edited by Heirren (1596 posts) -

@Pedro:

Lol im sorry, what? What is it that you are trying to say?

#93 Posted by jaydan (2306 posts) -

Michael Pachter talking about video games is the same as a religious person talking about metal music.

#94 Posted by Fedor (5159 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide: You're talking to someone that loves Fortnite btw.

#95 Posted by I_P_Daily (12045 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

I’m on my phone so I can’t link at the moment, but there are multiple outlets now reporting that the PS5 may be a premium device that is targeting enthusiasts. A “premium” console will most likely be $500+. And using places like this board for reference, we all know console gamers don’t like spending money.

And hey, Pach nailed his Switch Lite prediction. Maybe he’s going on a hot streak

Really?

My last 3 console purchases each cost $600 or more, games here are generally around the $70-$90 range, I pay for Xbox live, so you look pretty clueless right now. I mean you play Fortnite so you of all people shouldn't be talking about others being cheap.

Truth be told hermits are the cheap ones as they spend hundreds & thousands on their PC's and buy all their games on the cheap (even steal them) and bitch about how we pay for online, so when you look for a pic of cheap, a hermit should be front & centre.

Have a nice day :)

#96 Posted by Pedro (34958 posts) -

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

Lol im sorry, what? What is it that you are trying to say?

The mobile phones market is NOT equivalent to console gaming market. You cannot use the practice for phone pricing for console gaming.

#97 Posted by Pedro (34958 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@goldenelementxl said:

I’m on my phone so I can’t link at the moment, but there are multiple outlets now reporting that the PS5 may be a premium device that is targeting enthusiasts. A “premium” console will most likely be $500+. And using places like this board for reference, we all know console gamers don’t like spending money.

And hey, Pach nailed his Switch Lite prediction. Maybe he’s going on a hot streak

Really?

My last 3 console purchases each cost $600 or more, games here are generally around the $70-$90 range, I pay for Xbox live, so you look pretty clueless right now. I mean you play Fortnite so you of all people shouldn't be talking about others being cheap.

Truth be told hermits are the cheap ones as they spend hundreds & thousands on their PC's and buy all their games on the cheap (even steal them) and bitch about how we pay for online, so when you look for a pic of cheap, a hermit should be front & centre.

Have a nice day :)

You spending more on consoles does not reflect the average console gamers' budget and you know this.

#98 Posted by PSP107 (17480 posts) -

@rmpumper said:
  1. Pachter is an idiot
  2. Xbox will be as expensive as PS5
  3. Exclusives will determine, which console will sell more, just like this gen

Well MSoft out the gate shot themselves in the foot with the Xone reveal.

#99 Posted by Heirren (1596 posts) -

@Pedro:

You missed the point

#100 Edited by WESTBLADE (469 posts) -
@PSP107 said:
@rmpumper said:
  1. Pachter is an idiot
  2. Xbox will be as expensive as PS5
  3. Exclusives will determine, which console will sell more, just like this gen

Well MSoft out the gate shot themselves in the foot with the Xone reveal.

If Microsoft didn't do such a huge ****-up with Xbox One and Sony immediately didn't use the backlash for their own propaganda, Sony (the whole company) would go bankrupt a long time ago... Most people not seem to be aware of this, so just saying.

All i can say in relevance to this topic is; LOL @ Pachter. I remember this guy having his own ''show'' on gametrailers . com (RIP). He did some good predictions though (Sony following MS with a 'pay to play online' subscription AKA PS+, etc.), but also said a lot of wrong assumptions, that sounded like he's talking outta his ass.

But anyways, 800 dollars/euro for a console that should stay somewhat relevant for next 5+ years SHOULD be alright. In all honesty, you console-only gamers are incredible cheapskates, expecting a ''big firework" for the price of a "matchbox"...