Overwatch going free-to-play for a week

This topic is locked from further discussion.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

Details from official website.

From November 20th to the 26th, Overwatch will have a free trial. First Destiny 2, now Overwatch. Looks like Activision Blizzard are a little desperate for players.

Not my thing, so I'll pass. Still, anyone here interested?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

I'll pass.

Gameplay looks okay, but the whole microtransaction/lootbox system seems geared towards making people junkies.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

CasualWatch.

It started in fall 2016 and has been continuing since. The no-skill players demanding characters to hard counter the skilled players. (Or nerfing their said characters)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

I'll pass.

Gameplay looks okay, but the whole microtransaction/lootbox system seems geared towards making people junkies.

Yeah... I just don't feel like subjecting myself to ActiBliz's manipulative psycho-battery.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I think they've done that before somtime, no? Anyway, at least Overwatch is fun. The lootboxes are just cosmetic, which is something. Still don't like it, but I get plenty stuff without paying anything. Destiny, however.. hot diggedy damn what a pile of poop. It stole 8 hours of my precious gametime and turned it into boredom. Not cool.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

I been enjoying Overwatch since launch of May 2016. The game is 2 years old, I guess Blizz is trying to get the one's who have yet to play Overwatch it seems.

WhatAFailure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts
@Litchie said:

I think they've done that before somtime, no? Anyway, at least Overwatch is fun. The lootboxes are just cosmetic, which is something. Still don't like it, but I get plenty stuff without paying anything. Destiny, however.. hot diggedy damn what a pile of poop. It stole 8 hours of my precious gametime and turned it into boredom. Not cool.

They've had free weekends from time to time. I believe this is the first "Free Week" they've done. Since they're getting hardcore into eSports now, they probably want to hook more new fans.

@R4gn4r0k said:

I'll pass.

All of it is cosmetics though. In order to get decent at the game where you really know multiple characters and maps, you need 50-100 hours. By that time, you'll have earned a shit ton of stuff for free (you get XP for playing and free Lootbox for every level you go up).

If you want all the cool costumes and emotes but only want to invest 10-20 hours, you probably aren't going to be the type that plays Overwatch to care enough about those cosmetics.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

I'll pass.

It's actually a good system, 100% cosmetic and you can earn it in game. And all content has been free so far.

But the lootboxes in Destiny 2 are troubling, since the game charges for DLC/Expansions almost as much as a subscription game. You shouldn't make people pay for cosmetics if the game is $160+

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Hands down the best MP game this gen.