Overrated, overrated, overrated....let's change the subject

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

I feel like there's been like a huge sudden influx of overrated games threads for the past few weeks in the fourms on GS. Not only in System Wars but in other fourms like Primary Games Discussions, PC and Mac Games Board, EVERYWHERE like, "Your Overrated Games," "Most Overrated Video Game of All Time," "Overrated Systems," "PC Overrated Graphics," "Overrated @$$es," "Overrated this," "Overrated that" "Overrated your mom," good....lord. How about we perhaps, maybe, kind of, I don't know....CHANGE THE STUPID TOPIC?

Anyways, underrated. Underrated games, any? What are your personal underrated games of the past two gens (this includes the Xbox-360, Ps3, and Wii gen and the one before that just for the heck of it). Also, don't just use GS scores for determining something underrated like Skyward Sword or whatever use all the gaming sites and not just GS for your choices (Gamer Rankings, Metacritic, etc.). So, what are your underrated games?

I do't have many but here's just my quick list of games that come off the top of my head.

• Transformers: War for Cybertron (great game and great third person shooter and the fact that it's Transformers and takes advantage of the Transformers universe better than like the movie games before it)
  • Planetside 2 (it's good in terms of reviews but some people find the other two ((Tribes and Natural Selection 2)) a bit better than it but, honestly, imo, it was the best massively multiplayer first person shooter last year and yes I did play Tribes, have yet to play Natural Selection 2, and Planetside 2 kicks Tribes @$$)
  • Killing Floor (on par with Left 4 Dead and maybe even better)
  • Knights of the Old Republic 2: Sith Lords (before the mod I thought the game was great ((I didn't play the first game sadly but still it was great right off the bat)) and now with this new restoration mod it seems to have made a very significant improvement. May be my first downloaded mod just to see what all the fuss is about)
  • Sanctum (very fun tower defense/FPS hybrid)
  • Magicka (takes a while to get into and it did suffer from a not so good launch it has really cleaned up over time and it is really good, hard to get into the whole attack control scheme but if you can it is a lot of fun especially co-op)
#2 Posted by freedomfreak (50189 posts) -
I'll go with something recent. Black Knight Sword.
#3 Posted by el3m2tigre (4232 posts) -

Underrated threads are overrated.

#4 Posted by 15strong (2806 posts) -

I agree with TF2. Game should be re-reviewed and get a 10/10.

#5 Posted by moistsandwich (25 posts) -

Planetside 2 is the epitome of over rated.

#6 Posted by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -
TF2 is one of the most popular online multiplayer games of all time. It isn't underrated.
#7 Posted by locopatho (23176 posts) -
Tropico 3. Best city builder I've ever played. Mixes cold war politics with cIassic economic management. Great stuff.
#8 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6365 posts) -

Never saw the appeal of TF2 myself.

Planetside 2 looks good, I haven't got to play it yet but it's one of the few MMOFPS out there so deserves some leeway.

#9 Posted by 15strong (2806 posts) -

Tropico 3. Best city builder I've ever played. Mixes cold war politics with cIassic economic management. Great stuff.locopatho

I own it and have played a little. Sometimes those games have a learning curve that I just don't have the time to get adjusted to.

#10 Posted by locopatho (23176 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Tropico 3. Best city builder I've ever played. Mixes cold war politics with cIassic economic management. Great stuff.15strong

I own it and have played a little. Sometimes those games have a learning curve that I just don't have the time to get adjusted to.

The campaign was pretty good at introducing things slowly. But yeah it can get complicated. That just makes it fun tho :P
#11 Posted by -Patrick_92- (2168 posts) -

WipEout HD/Fury

#12 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

TF2 is one of the most popular online multiplayer games of all time. It isn't underrated.PannicAtack

Yeah, I was just, once agian, going back to GS and their score of the game. It really has gotten better since it was released (imo) and has really only gotten better for it but....yeah, that doesn't warrant UNDERRATED status.

Edited.

#13 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Planetside 2 and Team Fortress 2 are not under-rated....

Mirror's Edge is under-rated.

Spec Ops: The Line is under-rated.

Fallout: New Vegas is under-rated.

Lost Odyssey.

Tales of Vesperia.

All five are five of my favorites, none of them are consistently mentioned.

#14 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

on overrated threads people mentions the absolute best games of a generation and on underrated threads people just mention bad games... You guys have the meanings of these words all twisted.

#15 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Planetside 2 and Team Fortress 2 are not under-rated....

Mirror's Edge is under-rated.

Spec Ops: The Line is under-rated.

Fallout: New Vegas is under-rated.

Lost Odyssey.

Tales of Vesperia.

All five are five of my favorites, none of them are consistently mentioned.

NeonNinja

My list.

I never played any of those forementioned games of yours.

So....yeah....

#16 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Catherine? I think it reviewed well but talk about it came and went and no one really seems to hold it in much regard anymore. I thought it was one of the most awesome games this entire generation. Loved every second of it.

#17 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

on overrated threads people mentions the absolute best games of a generation and on underrated threads people just mention bad games... You guys have the meanings of these words all twisted.

Gue1

Them's fighting words, good sir.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
#18 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Nier.

Deadly Premonition.

#19 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

Well there are plenty of PC games that are way better now than they were at release, but those don't really count.

I'm playing Civ V right now though, and it is actually a game that deserves a perfect 10 especially with this "Gods & Kings" expansion.

#20 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

Killing Floor

Spec Ops: The Line

Magicka

Hard Reset

Dark Messiah Might and Magic

Titan Quest

#21 Posted by megadeth1117 (1830 posts) -

Thank you for making a positive thread around here for once.

On topic,

Binary_Domain_Cover_Art.png

A Truly phenomenal game. Are his Yakuza games this good?

#22 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Thank you for making a positive thread around here for once.

On topic,

Binary_Domain_Cover_Art.png

A Truly phenomenal game. Are his Yakuza games this good?

megadeth1117

I wouldn't say "phenomenal",but underrated,yes.

It was surprisingly fun.

#23 Posted by clyde46 (49050 posts) -
Tropico 3. Best city builder I've ever played. Mixes cold war politics with cIassic economic management. Great stuff.locopatho
But the workers are soo lazy! I ask them to build a building and it takes 3 days! The workers in AoE take 30 minutes! if that.
#24 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19815 posts) -

I agree with you on the Transformers games. They're great and keep the spirit of the show intact.

Some of my other favorite underated games:

Skyward Sword
Gunlord
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Colors
Raiden IV
Klonoa
Rocket Knight
Phantom Houglass
Spirit Tracks

#25 Posted by locopatho (23176 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"]Tropico 3. Best city builder I've ever played. Mixes cold war politics with cIassic economic management. Great stuff.clyde46
But the workers are soo lazy! I ask them to build a building and it takes 3 days! The workers in AoE take 30 minutes! if that.

Yeah I have had my entire staff of builders executed from time to time.
#26 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

I agree with you on the Transformers games. They're great and keep the spirit of the show intact.

Skyward Sword -NOT underrated! it got lots of praise!
Gunlord
Sonic Colors - not underrated,it got the praise ir deserved
Raiden IV
Klonoa
Rocket Knight
Phantom Houglass -You kidding me? that thing is pretty meh. way too easy,super short,and it had pathetic dungeons
Spirit Tracks

Renegade_Fury

#27 Posted by GOGOGOGURT (4470 posts) -

Underrated and overrated are stupid and based on opinion. It's just a fancy word to make it sound like fact

#28 Posted by Blabadon (33030 posts) -

Of all time? Shadow of the Colossus.

Of this gen? Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Of last year? Sleeping Dogs.

Mainly talking about this site.

#29 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19815 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Skyward Sword -NOT underrated! it got lots of praise!
Gunlord
Sonic Colors - not underrated,it got the praise ir deserved
Raiden IV
Klonoa
Rocket Knight
Phantom Houglass -You kidding me? that thing is pretty meh. way too easy,super short,and it had pathetic dungeons
Spirit Tracks

GreekGameManiac

I disagree. They don't get enough, and especially on this site.

Phantom Hourglass was good enough for me. Not the best Zelda, but fun, and it was way better than its prequel, Wind Waker.

#30 Posted by mysticstryk (1709 posts) -

Two Worlds

Gran Turismo 5

Killzone (all of them)

Mount & Blade

#31 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Phantom Hourglass was good enough for me. Not the best Zelda, but fun, and it was way better than its prequel, Wind Waker.

Renegade_Fury

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It got nothing on TWW.

#32 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

IMO NewVegas is one of the absolute most underrated games ever.

I wish Obsidian didn't have so many damn bugs.

#33 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19815 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

GreekGameManiac

It got nothing on TWW.

It's not hard to top WW when every other Zelda does. In PH's case, it handled the sailing, pacing, and currency far better, and the dungeons were not barren wastelands filled with nothing. So sorry I'm going to have to LOL back at you. :)

#34 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Mirrors Edge is not underrated. At all.

Fallout NV got an 8.5 on PC right? That's a pretty good score for the game.

An actually underrated game is FEAR 2.

#35 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

It got nothing on TWW.

It's not hard to top WW when every other Zelda does. In PH's case, it handled the sailing, pacing, and currency far better, and the dungeons were not barren wastelands filled with nothing. So sorry I'm going to have to LOL back at you. :)

jackie-chan-wtf.png

#36 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

I just remembered another underrated game that I forgot. Sanctum! Such a good FPS/Tower Defense Hybrid and just like a lot of other PC exclusive games that got patches and updates that made the game better but even at the start it was still such a good game. Can't get into the multiplayer, though, weird.

Magicka

BPoole96

That, too! Though it did take multiple updates and patches after release to make it a bit better and it had a very odd and hard to get into control scheme it was still really good.

Edited.

#37 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19815 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

It got nothing on TWW.

GreekGameManiac

jackie-chan-wtf.png

2ymeltw.gif.

#38 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

It got nothing on TWW.

GreekGameManiac

jackie-chan-wtf.png

NO ARGUING, DAMMIT!

He's got his underrated games, you've got yours.

Don't make me smack you with this ruler.

#39 Posted by Vatusus (8408 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned

Lollipop Chainsaw

Dragon Age II (I dont think it deserves all the hate it got but I respect their opinions)

Vanquish

Heavenly Sword

Super Stardust HD

#40 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
The only thing I have seen a huge spike in in the last few weeks are troll thread and not good troll threads either. Most are something you would expect a second grader to write. They have no thought put in them and are a waste of bandwidth and causes the mods headaches. They can't enjoy the site because just locking ignorant threads has become a full time job for them. This place has went from system wars to troll wars. As for overhype threads, I don't see them all that much.
#42 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Planetside 2 is the epitome of over rated.

moistsandwich

Tribes Ascend: 87.94%

Planetside 2: 84.78%

Natural Selection 2: 81.69%

I beg to differ.

[spoiler] I know Natural Selection 2 is lower therefore making it the more underrated of the three but....didn't play it. LOL. [/spoiler]

#43 Posted by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -

Binary Domain: In a year with Halo 4, Max Payne 3, and the forum gamer circle jerk for story telling that was Spec Ops The Line: Binary Domain was the more entertaining shooter: True Story.

Tribes Ascend: Unlike Planetside 2: Tribes Ascend is actually is really f*cking awesome. Dare I say the best MP shooter of the year. More importantly probably good enough to be in a top 5 of this gen(multiplayer shooter) discussion.

#44 Posted by Granny_Spanked (1341 posts) -
How about some downloadable titles? Gotham Imposters, Toy Soldiers, flower, infamous: festival of blood, Joe Danger, etc.
#45 Posted by Some-Mist (5631 posts) -
the sea will claim everything - it hasn't even been rated by GS. It's the most intelligent, humorous, and quirky point and click adventure I've played all gen. It only has two scores on metacritic (90 and 80), but it was a 10/10 game for me. qasir al-wasat - it's like metal gear meets muramasa: the demon blade. very little talk about this awesome stealth puzzle game. sin & punishment: star successor - it could be because it's on the Wii, but this is honestly one of the best games I've played all gen. ofc it came from treasure, the developer behind ikaruga, radiant silvergun, alien soldier, and gunstar heroes.
#46 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Binary Domain: In a year with Halo 4, Max Payne 3, and the forum gamer circle jerk for story telling that was Spec Ops The Line: Binary Domain was the more entertaining shooter: True Story.

Tribes Ascend: Unlike Planetside 2: Tribes Ascend is actually is really f*cking awesome. Dare I say the best MP shooter of the year. More importantly probably good enough to be in a top 5 of this gen(multiplayer shooter) discussion.

jg4xchamp

Yeah PS2 is quite unremarkable from my playtime with it, whereas Tribes has been epicly fun. Not too mention quite a skillful game too.

#47 Posted by Clock-w0rk (3378 posts) -

Klonoa

Renegade_Fury

You sir are f*cking awesome.

#48 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

I feel like there's been like a huge sudden influx of overrated games threads for the past few weeks in the fourms on GS. Not only in System Wars but in other fourms like Primary Games Discussions, PC and Mac Games Board, EVERYWHERE like, "Your Overrated Games," "Most Overrated Video Game of All Time," "Overrated Systems," "PC Overrated Graphics," "Overrated @$$es," "Overrated this," "Overrated that" "Overrated your mom," good....lord. How about we perhaps, maybe, kind of, I don't know....CHANGE THE STUPID TOPIC?

Anyways, underrated. Underrated games, any? What are your personal underrated games of the past two gens (this includes the Xbox-360, Ps3, and Wii gen and the one before that just for the heck of it). Also, don't just use GS scores for determining something underrated like Skyward Sword or whatever use all the gaming sites and not just GS for your choices (Gamer Rankings, Metacritic, etc.). So, what are your underrated games?

I do't have many but here's just my quick list of games that come off the top of my head.

• Transformers: War for Cybertron (great game and great third person shooter and the fact that it's Transformers and takes advantage of the Transformers universe better than like the movie games before it)
  • Planetside 2 (it's good in terms of reviews but some people find the other two ((Tribes and Natural Selection 2)) a bit better than it but, honestly, imo, it was the best massively multiplayer first person shooter last year and yes I did play Tribes, have yet to play Natural Selection 2, and Planetside 2 kicks Tribes @$$)
  • Killing Floor (on par with Left 4 Dead and maybe even better)
  • Knights of the Old Republic 2: Sith Lords (before the mod I thought the game was great ((I didn't play the first game sadly but still it was great right off the bat)) and now with this new restoration mod it seems to have made a very significant improvement. May be my first downloaded mod just to see what all the fuss is about)
  • Sanctum (very fun tower defense/FPS hybrid)
  • Magicka (takes a while to get into and it did suffer from a not so good launch it has really cleaned up over time and it is really good, hard to get into the whole attack control scheme but if you can it is a lot of fun especially co-op)
Goyoshi12
Tribes ascend and natural selection are not MMOFPS. Tribes ascend is an FPSMOBA and I havent played NS2 but I think it's also one of those. comparing PS2 with T:A or NS2 is like saying that Uncharted is a better game than battlefield because it's in third person, and then saying that you can compare them because they both have guns and terrorists.
#49 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

OB-47

Yeah PS2 is quite unremarkable from my playtime with it, whereas Tribes has been epicly fun. Not too mention quite a skillful game too.

So how does it feel to compare 2 completely different games?
#50 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

lightleggy

So how does it feel to compare 2 completely different games?

The discussion here is centered around shooters. Both are shooters. Never said they were similar.