Ouya 2.0 Due next year. Increased Specs, New Controllers,

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81750/ouya-20-console-coming-next-year-new-controllers-stealthily-coming

The Ouya 2.0 which will be a new system or so they say, and will feature new controllers and specs. Apparently, the Ouya will also be on par with COD, releasing a new Ouya system every single year.

I think this is a confusing and bad business decision, but the Ouya has manged to release in a lot of Europe this holiday (or will be) and will be carried by Target natiowide. The New Ouya 2.0 will also most likely be the same price maybe.

#3 Posted by barrybarryk (488 posts) -

If they unlock the bootloader, add recovery menu, up the specs to the tegra 4 and get nVidia to enable their streaming tech on it so you can stream PC games to one it'd be worth the upgrade. But if they're just going to rely on Android games it's just as pointless as Ouya 1.0

#4 Edited by _Matt_ (10433 posts) -

Soooooo the Ouya will essentially become a subscription service of £100 a year for android games?

Yyyyyeah. no thanks.

#5 Posted by barrybarryk (488 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

Soooooo the Ouya will essentially become a subscription service of £100 a year for android games?

Yyyyyeah. no thanks.

I'm pretty sure the older model wont just explode when the new one is released

#6 Posted by musicalmac (24890 posts) -

It's a good thing they're not relying on license fees, because nobody who owns one buys any games. Hint hint, nudge nudge, so on and so forth...

#7 Edited by foxhound_fox (96690 posts) -

What an irrelevant upgrade to such an irrelevant device.

#8 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/81750/ouya-20-console-coming-next-year-new-controllers-stealthily-coming

The Ouya 2.0 which will be a new system or so they say, and will feature new controllers and specs. Apparently, the Ouya will also be on par with COD, releasing a new Ouya system every single year.

I think this is a confusing and bad business decision, but the Ouya has manged to release in a lot of Europe this holiday (or will be) and will be carried by Target natiowide. The New Ouya 2.0 will also most likely be the same price maybe.

ouya said they were going to do this from the start - good job on their part. looks like it will end up being a success.

#9 Edited by Audacitron (971 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

So they basically just said "F U !!" to the people who bought the current Ouya. Mmmkay.

This was the plan all along. I think they might have even mentioned this during the original kickstarter.

Each successive iteration of Ouya is supposed to represent the best hardware they can deliver for $99 in that particular year. That's the deal, no need to take offense. Phones get better every year, so do laptops and tablets. Why not consoles too.

#10 Edited by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

@Audacitron said:

@Desmonic said:

So they basically just said "F U !!" to the people who bought the current Ouya. Mmmkay.

This was the plan all along. I think they might have even mentioned this during the original kickstarter.

Each successive iteration of Ouya is supposed to represent the best hardware they can deliver for $99 in that particular year. That's the deal, no need to take offense. Phones get better every year, so do laptops and tablets. Why not consoles too.

Different manufacturer, different development teams, you act like HTC releases a phone every year when they only release one every 2 years and rekin it with downgrades or slight up grades and put a different initial next to it. Comparing consoles to phones is dumb and makes no sense.

#11 Posted by Gaming-Planet (18609 posts) -

Tegra 4 I presume and it'll be before Project Logan.

#12 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

I've read that software sells pretty poorly on the system, so I'm guessing it won't last many more years.

#14 Edited by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -

It's about games not hardware ouya=doa

#15 Posted by Audacitron (971 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@Audacitron said:

@Desmonic said:

Different manufacturer, different development teams, you act like HTC releases a phone every year when they only release one every 2 years and rekin it with downgrades or slight up grades and put a different initial next to it. Comparing consoles to phones is dumb and makes no sense.

both play games. Apples and oranges maybe, but they're both fruit.

@Desmonic said:

@Audacitron said:

@Desmonic said:

As the sales and profits of the team behind Ouya will show, that model will never work with consoles. There is a reason why mobile gaming has grown like crazy yet hasn't managed to kill handheld gaming nor home console gaming. Infact this last gen (PS3, Wii, X360) was the gen with most sold consoles overall, by an increase of 30 million units or so (probably a bit more now, since these numbers are from early this year).

If the Ouya has difficulty gaining traction, it's as likely to be because they're operating on a tiny budget trying to carve out a slice of a very crowded marketplace. The odds are stacked against them from the start. But at least they're doing something different, providing an alternative. Maybe it'll succeed, maybe it won't, but it's worth a shot.

The obvious difference between smartphone/tablet gaming and console gaming is controllers with actual buttons. There are of course other differences, but they get smaller every year as developers get more ambitious. Time will tell how this plays out.

#16 Edited by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

instead of wasting money like that, send it to a country that needs it

#17 Posted by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

@Audacitron: That example can be used for freaking Pinball tables, you lost this one.

#18 Posted by kuu2 (10229 posts) -

Instead of a new system how about some new software for those of us that invested in the first console.

#20 Posted by bbkkristian (14971 posts) -

I'm sure the ten people who own it are pissed

#21 Posted by BranKetra (51726 posts) -

The fact the Ouya uses Android for games is disengaging. The Ouya 2.0 will most likely have the same game library. It would be a paperweight for me.

#22 Posted by Audacitron (971 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@Audacitron: That example can be used for freaking Pinball tables, you lost this one.

Wrong.

Again.

A pinball table is one game. A console is a gaming platform. And the fact that the Ouya uses the same operating system as phones makes it even more comparable.

#23 Edited by AHP1204 (25 posts) -

@Jakandsigz: Hey, it works for Apple. Why not this?

#24 Posted by Ghost120x (5229 posts) -

I guess they are doing this to essentially re launch the Ouya.

#25 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

What an irrelevant upgrade to such an irrelevant device.

Exactly. Wouldn't waste a dime on that.

#26 Posted by Heil68 (57699 posts) -

Useless garbage..

#27 Posted by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

2 month old thread.