Outside of mods, why do people still game on pc?

• 64 results
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

With the advent of cross play and multiple platform releases it feels like pc gamers have the most to complain about.

Hackers, most major glitches/bugs are on pc, games are often bottlenecked graphically for console, less and less exclusive value, the competitive pc scene has all switched to controller.

Also let’s be honest there’s never been a more hive minded, neck bearded segment of gaming than pc gamers and there seems to be a culture of telling and not showing when people really break down why they are so hardline towards pc

😎

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@Mercenary848said:

Outside of mods, why do people still game on pc?

1. The largest selection of high scoring titles, by a large amount, each gen. The most number of highly actively played online games and gamers as well. For example, it had 120 more high scoring (8 and above) games over the next best system last gen at both MC and GS.
  2. Double to triple (and sometimes quadruple) the framerate in any given title vs PS5. This alone is like black and white vs color. On top of typically higher settings.
  3. A complete stronghold on competitive gaming and/or e-sports. PC makes up almost all of it. No system even begins to compare if you want to competitively game. Lower input lag, faster internet latency, 2-3 the fps and hz. Which brings me to your opposite day gas-lighting:
@Mercenary848 said:

the competitive pc scene has all switched to controller.

What are you talking about. The top/biggest competitive scenes use KB+M and more importantly use PC. Even fighting games, the last bastion for console's biggest competitive scenes, moved to PC. This isn't even fair for consoles.

@Mercenary848 said:

With the advent of cross play and multiple platform releases it feels like pc gamers have the most to complain about.

Nah gonna farm console kids with k/b with their sluggish tank controls at low fps and high input lag.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

You have more options on PC than any console. Freedom to play any game however you want too.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#4 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7200 Posts

Or like Ghost, so he can get free games.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45084 Posts

This thread will be locked because of the bias towards PC haha

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

I’ve always preferred console gaming and controllers to mouse and keyboard personally, so PC gaming has never appealed to me. I have a couple friends that try to talk me into it but I’m content with my PS5, don’t really have time to add more gaming systems into my life either lol.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

I know you're trolling, but I'll feed you.

I prefer PC because of mods.

Oh, you mean besides mods? OK, a few reasons:

1. Largest number of hardware options suiting a wide range of budget, requirements, and styles.
  2. Huge library of past, present, and future games that dwarfs the console library combined.
  3. Near-infinite backwards compatibility.
  4. Games cost less on PC than console on average. I probably spend 20-30 dollars per game.
  5. Home of independent and small-scale development, which IMO is far more enjoyable and more critical to the industry than AAA development (though we get AAA titles).
  6. In recent years, more once-console exclusive titles have been getting ported to PC.
  7. Wide range of peripherals. We not only have the vastly superior mouse and keybaord, but we also get: controller, flightsticks and throttles, racing wheels, weird gaming-specific setups, TrackIR, Tobii eye tracking, VR headsets of many manufacturers, and more.
  8. Best performance, even on mid-tier set ups.
  9. Ability to customize your setup; make it as vanilla and plain as you like, or get a clear case and RGB that thing up!
  10. Open platform; anyone can make a game for PC and doesn't need to pay fees to a console manufacturer. You could wake up tomorrow and decide to make the next Minecraft and host it on a website for download.
  11. Variety of storefronts to purchase games from: Steam, GoG, Epic Game Store, and all the publisher storefronts as well. Not to mention various key retailers.
  12. Mods.
  13. Ability to customize games: edit visual settings, edit files to add singleplayer cheats to your game (I won't lie: I cheat in Valheim because I'm not trucking that ore all the way across the world. Fly across!), and so on and so forth.
  14. Multipurpose. I can listen to a podcast, play a city-builder, alt-tab to look up good strategies, and check my email all with a few clicks on the same machine and in a matter of a few seconds. Super efficient and convenient.
  15. Home to the most genres of games. Some that are incredibly niche.
  16. Generally has access to the most early-access titles, betas, alphas, and more.
  17. Best community. Seriously where else can you log into a flight simulator and fly and A-10C on a server with an actual retired A-10C pilot? Squad up with a group of guys from across the world to play a tactical, squad-based shooter? Raid fantastical dungeons with a group of 24 other players? Play on a massive map with ~150 players with tanks and planes and helicopters and infantry? PC, and only PC.
@Mercenary848 said:

I personally am super-excited about cross-play and the fall of exclusivity. This is a victory for all gamers. It brings the community together.

I am happy to be able to play on PC the same games my friends play on console. Valheim co-op!

@Mercenary848 said:

Hackers, most major glitches/bugs are on pc, games are often bottlenecked graphically for console, less and less exclusive value, the competitive pc scene has all switched to controller.

Eh, the hacking is blown out of proportion. Really not a big issue in my experience.

Graphics are less important than ever. We've reached the point of diminishing returns. And how is being bottlenecked by consoles a PC problem? Sounds like a console problem. Up your game, consoles!

Console exclusive value is dropping, not PC.

People wanting to game on PC with a controller is a positive; people can choose what they want to game with, as opposed to being forced to use a controller (lame).

You're literally making an argument for why consoles are less important, not PC.

@Mercenary848 said:

Also let’s be honest there’s never been a more hive minded, neck bearded segment of gaming than pc gamers and there seems to be a culture of telling and not showing when people really break down why they are so hardline towards pc

Well now you're just stereotyping and being mean.

Why, if I didn't have a WoW raid scheduled in 10 minutes that wasn't scheduled to last five hours and wasn't stuck in my mom's basement, I'd grab your head and rub your face in my neckbeard!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12937 Posts

I didn't think anyone gamed on PC anymore. They are probably a tiny number of people. Everyone likes to game on console and mobile now.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

There are several reason I have mainly switched to PC gaming and mods isn't even one of them really. The games are generally cheaper, gamepass is cheaper, free online play, extensive library stretching decades back, and what do you mean the competitive scene has switched to controller? I have a Series X controller I often use with PC so.... I also have a VR headset and you can't get that on an Xbox.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

As others have said, it comes down to freedom.

for me specifically:

Performance is really important to me, these days I really prefer to play games at 80+fps if I can in most cases without sacrificing visuals. Some console games allow for this, but not a lot, and being able to fine-tune graphics settings to get the visuals/performance you want is important to me.

Most people complaining about performance issues tend to have weaker PCs - there is the odd badly optimized game but I struggle to think of the last time I didn't play a game on PC due to bad performance personally since I upgraded my CPU a year ago. I guess I avoided Callisto Protocol in part due to that, but it also didn't sound like a very good game. I don't have a top of the line PC either, just a decent one.

I also still prefer to play most games on a mouse + keyboard, especially first person games. I still do fine in competitive FPS games online against people using controllers with auto-aim, even though I'm at a disadvantage. It feels like it's cheating/not much fun using a controller for those games.

The argument about cross-play/exclusives cuts both ways. with cross-play, PC hackers effect all platforms! also, while PC gets less big exclusives, so do consoles. Everything on Xbox comes to PC day-1, and Sony exclusives are now coming to PC a couple years later and I'm fine waiting so I can play those games with the performance/control method I find most comfortable.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

Why wouldn't I? Its the best machine to play games on and the best ecosystem (since it's open) to buy into. I can use the controller I want, on the hardware I want while using the service I like.

I know, when i buy a PC game, it will work not only on my current PC but on future PCs too. I can also play that game on a range of devices: from a beastly desktop to a more moderate laptop to something like a Steam Deck or Aya Neo.

I mean the only reason i have a console (the switch) is the exclusives. That's it. There is no other reason for me to play a game on a console. I keep purchases on that only to exclusives basically. I have no reason to pick up a multiplat for a switch or any other console.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

This thread will be locked because of the bias towards PC haha

SolidCoper

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KvallyX

I like gaming from my couch, and I don't want to deal with hardware upgrades and drivers and updates all the time. SCREW PC.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17422 Posts

Larger selection of games

Cheaper games

Higher settings

Higher framerate

Higher resolution

Community support

Configuration tweaks

Control options

Community fixes to problems developers ignore

Infinite backward compatibility

Play retro games with community patches and fixes

Choice of form factor

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

I jumped back into PC gaming a couple years ago, after spending nearly two decades as a console gamer. Everything is way easier now than it used to be. Haven't had compatability issues with anything yet, even some old 90's games I still have on CD (though I'm sure I'll hit a few snags if I dive deaper into my back catalog). Maybe not quite plug and play, but pretty damn close.

My system was $550, so low end by Master Race standards, but it plays gen 8 games at 1080p 60fps no problem. When it does start to struggle in a few years, I'll replace the gpu and be back in business. No need to transfer files and update accounts. Right now, I see no reason to go back to console, except Switch for Nintendo exclusives.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@kvallyx said:

I didn't think anyone gamed on PC anymore. They are probably a tiny number of people. Everyone likes to game on console and mobile now.

you must not follow gaming news much, PC gaming is growing faster than consoles

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Way more options and games. Better graphics and performance. It's the superior way to experience gaming.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KvallyX

@howmakewood said:
@kvallyx said:

I was just joshing.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KvallyX

@navyguy21 said:

Infinite backward compatibility

Didn't take long for someone to bring up Halo again!!!

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mercenary848

@SolidGame_basic: It’s crazy how pc gamers are the ones who always like they are too good to debate

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

To make consolites such as yourself b*tthurt.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mrbojangles25

@judaspete said:

I jumped back into PC gaming a couple years ago, after spending nearly two decades as a console gamer. Everything is way easier now than it used to be. Haven't had compatability issues with anything yet, even some old 90's games I still have on CD (though I'm sure I'll hit a few snags if I dive deaper into my back catalog). Maybe not quite plug and play, but pretty damn close.

My system was $550, so low end by Master Race standards, but it plays gen 8 games at 1080p 60fps no problem. When it does start to struggle in a few years, I'll replace the gpu and be back in business. No need to transfer files and update accounts. Right now, I see no reason to go back to console, except Switch for Nintendo exclusives.

It really is easier.

Everyone complaining about hardware and drivers and cost is making an argument from the early 2000's.

Been a PC gamer my whole life. Been building my own PC's since I was 16. It was a pain in the ass.

But now? If you can build LEGO's and operate a screw driver, you can build a PC. Sometimes there's some initial troubleshooting but honestly you can solve all that with ease.

@kvallyx said:
@howmakewood said:
@kvallyx said:

I was just joshing.

Nah, you're trying to cope with inferiority.

It's OK man. There's nothing wrong with liking Twinkies and other processed junk food crap. Some of us just prefer finer things like a nice pastry from a local bakery. And that's OK too!

You don't have to feel bad about liking crap. Just own it and move on.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mercenary848

@mrbojangles25: Haha I am just ribbing, most of my friends are pc gamers. My logic behind the console bottleneck(and I agree consoles should step it up graphically if they are gonna charge full price) is that it still defeats the purpose in a lot of ways to have a suped up pc but most of the games are optimized for this PS4.5 era we have been in a weird limbo in.

Also I’m a Nintendo fanboy lol

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 910 Posts

It's gotta be nice to not have to pay an additional $10 a month/$60 a year to play online multiplayer.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KvallyX

@mrbojangles25 said:

It really is easier.

Everyone complaining about hardware and drivers and cost is making an argument from the early 2000's.

Been a PC gamer my whole life. Been building my own PC's since I was 16. It was a pain in the ass.

But now? If you can build LEGO's and operate a screw driver, you can build a PC. Sometimes there's some initial troubleshooting but honestly you can solve all that with ease.

@kvallyx said:

I was just joshing.

It's OK man. There's nothing wrong with liking Twinkies and other processed junk food crap. Some of us just prefer finer things like a nice pastry from a local bakery. And that's OK too!

Actually, no I was just kidding. My end game is to build a PC and dump my consoles.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

It's 2023 and some people still speak of PC gaming as if we're only playing with KB + M. I play almost exclusively with a controller because that's how I'm comfortable playing and PC gaming gives me that choice and so many others.

All the reasons why I love PC gaming have been stated here. I play games my way and with almost no restrains.

I can game on my monitor, I can game on my 4K TV, I can game anywhere on my Steam Deck. All with the same library of games.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

You guys are seriously answering a blatant troll?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mrbojangles25

@kvallyx said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

It really is easier.

@kvallyx said:

I was just joshing.

Actually, no I was just kidding. My end game is to build a PC and dump my consoles.

We are all just joking. It's System Wars after all. Woe to anyone that takes this shit serious.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KvallyX

@mrbojangles25 said:
@kvallyx said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

It really is easier.

@kvallyx said:

I was just joshing.

We are all just joking. It's System Wars after all. Woe to anyone that takes this shit serious.

I never ever joke. I am posting on this forum right now.....butt naked....at my desk at work. All 1" of me exposed.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Isometric RPGs.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Spent $1200 on a PC, which isn't a lot considering what's out there. Hooked it to my 75" tv. Sounds goes out every few minutes for about 10 seconds. Found no way to fix it. Hate having to use a m/kb to start a game up. Hate having to open steam launcher, takes too long. Bought a PS5 and will never go back to PC, unless it's to play a few gamepass games I can't get on PS5. Everything just works 100% of the time. Grab a controller, and hit a button, and the game starts right where I left off at. Don't even need to turn the TV on, as the PS5 will do that to as an option. The "freedoms" on PC are cool, but they aren't without cost. I've never used a mod that I know of, and couldn't tell you how to use one, and really don't care to learn. I just wanna play the game the way it was meant to be played and the same way as friends and reviewers play it.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2405 Posts

Played Horizon on PlayStation 4 years ago and thought it would play way better with a mouse and keyboard and better performance. I am now playing it again with a mouse and keyboard and better performance. This is so common for me. I play a minority of games with a controller. The controller never really evolved. The basic design is as it was in 1997, not intended for the kinds of games we play now. Games then commonly had either lock on targeting or fixed camera angles to make up for the poor aiming. What wasn't improved in the PC controls of Horizon is item navigation. There's that whole number row, but you can only assign four weapons, as on a D-pad. You cycle through items with Z and X. Could have assigned those to the number row as well, with an alternator key. Then again, the kinds of games I really want wouldn't use so many buttons anyway. We're just stuck in pseudo-RPG hell.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

This has got to be the dumbest thread I've ever seen.

I mean, if you're an avid gamer, why the hell would you not want to game on PC? Better graphics, better performance, humongous library, mods, freedom to do whatever the hell you want, endless backwards compat, great sales, peripherals galore, and on and on.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Let's see:

-3 monitors kek

-Flight sim hardware (yoke, pedals, gauges and radio panel)

-TrackIR

-Turn environment density all the way up so no magic appearing objects and foliage 30 feet in front of you

-144hz

-I have four decades of games I can play, and the games I buy now won't be useless when new hardware releases.

-Alt+tab

-8TB total storage

-Strategy games

-No tax to play with other players

-Games are cheaper

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7200 Posts

@nod_calypse: And for only x10 the cost.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

There are only 3 reasons: free games, free music, free movies, free = illegally downloading 🤴

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Man, so many reasons.

The biggies for me.

- Game selection. Gets almost everything that comes out. Can play most older games, console and arcade included. Can even play these classics online with stuff like fightcade, amazing netcode. Even the newer Nintendo stuff tends to run better on PC, if not day 1, then within months. Just about anything I'd want to play is on one system.

- Performance. Not at the whim of a developer or a closed systems specs. More often than not, come out way on top.

- Controller choice. MKB, the full range of modern controllers, classic pads, arcade sticks, etc.

Don't use mods all too often, but they're a nice difference maker at times. Not a graphics snob either, but it's a nice bonus.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1244 Posts

Because I want to. What are you gonna do about it?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38793 Posts

Most of them are hackers. They buy a 4090 to hack faster.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

Shits and giggles.

FredSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FredSC
Member since 2023 • 57 Posts

why do they prefer to play on keyboard and mouse instead of console controller? 👀

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Easier to connect and interact with friends

Don't have to pay extra for online

Best version of most games

After I got a high end PC over the pandemic, I bagged up my PS4 and only use it as a set up at local Fighting game gatherings/tournaments. I also feel no need to upgrade to PS5 until I'm going to have to bring a console to play SF6 at locals

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#46 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17801 Posts

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

There is so much gamers can do with playing games on the PC that other posters had already touched about in this thread, but still home consoles are still relevant and have yet to go the way of Blockbuster Video. What is keeping home consoles alive? Perhaps if the PC platform can copy the plug-and-play feature of home consoles, have high-end PCs be competitively-priced with home consoles, laws that outlaw console exclusives (e.g. no more Legend of Zelda game exclusively on a Nintendo system), or shread its geeky image (so to appeal to non-geek gamers like myself).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38793 Posts
@BassMan said:

The only reason you're saying this is because you're a hermit, and you don't want to admit how pointless your pc is when the x/ps5 exists.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@nod_calypse: And for only x10 the cost.

Well, I mean, shit. You get what you pay for.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

Because PC is closest thing to Xbox