Ori Dev: PS5 SSD is nice but games will be priotized for lowest common dominator AKA last gen tech that is Series X.

• 117 results
sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

On paper, the SSD inside the PS5 has the edge over the next-gen SSD inside the Xbox Series X, but according to Mahler, it doesn’t make sense for third-party developers to adjust their titles around Sony’s SSD. Instead, the Ori creator believes that the majority of third-party devs will just develop for the lowest common denominator – e.g. the Xbox Series X and PC.

- Thomas Mahler, founder and creative director at Ori developer Moon Studios

Now I have no idea why an Xbox 1st party studios want to comment on this but it is likely due to Microsoft losing the narrative over its next gen product that they had to sent a 1st party director that don't even develop for PlayStation to damage control. PS5 SSD is so next gen its even more next gen than Series X that microsoft had to do damage controlling on the spark that is the almighty PS5 SSD.

Source:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/ori-dev-ps5s-super-fast-ssd-is-nice-for-first-party-titles-but-multiplats-will-be-developed-for-the-lowest-common-denominator/amp/

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

Moon Studios is not owned by MS.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I dig Moon Studios, but what do they know about AAA development?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Looks like somebody got paid.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts
@briguyb13 said:

Wait only AAA devs will be using the SSD, and Indies devs are somehow not allowed lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@sakaixx: Holy shit dude you're gonna need better bait LOL.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro

@briguyb13 said:

What does AAA development got to do with the point?

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cloud_Man
Member since 2020 • 201 Posts

Lol...

• PS3- Teh powah of cell processah
  • PS4- Muh GDDR 5
  • PS5- Teh savior of human race, teh SSD

Same rubbish, new gen. Over hyping, BS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@cloud_man said:

Lol...

• PS4- Muh GDDR 5

Yes cows are overhyping the PooS5, but think about this for a second, you Hermits have been hyping Star Citizen since 2013, and it still won't be out when next gen starts, so you of all people cloudemperium man shouldn't talk LOL.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#10  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts
@briguyb13 said:

Ori may not have the overall budget of a AAA game, but it certainly has AAA quality and polish. Thomas used to work at Blizzard. So, he is well aware of how AAA game development works. There are other employees at Moon Studios who used to work at AAA studios too. Besides, targeting the lowest common denominator is common sense when it comes to multiplat development. So, this is not some new revelation.

Developers do not have to be working on AAA projects to understand the technology anyway. There are many brilliant devs that work on smaller projects and often the best innovation comes from small teams.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

It’s all up to developers making choices about their design. From what I’ve seen there is plenty of flexibility to be had with both machines that workarounds wouldn’t be difficult to imagine or implement. And if developers know where their bread is being buttered, you can bank on them keeping their caretakers happy.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

@cloud_man said:

Lol...

• PS4- Muh GDDR 5

How quick people are to forget...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sakaiXx

@R4gn4r0k said:
@cloud_man said:

Lol...

• PS4- Muh GDDR 5

How quick people are to forget...

PS4 Gddr5 did make a PR impact over Xbox one though.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

It makes sense. Games are expensive to make and the way the loading in games work, is built into the core of the game. I could be wrong, but having the same game with two different methods of loading could be more trouble than it's worth.

I also expect any first party Sony ports to the PC will have longer than normal loading times as they throw in some shoddy work arounds, but that's conjecture. I just don't think loading is a simple thing. In the past it was the same on different devices, but held back by the storage mediums. Then again did cartridges allow for a different method of loading? I remember they allowed for some extra features such as the ability to blend audio as you moved from one section to the other, in the case of the N64.

Just thinking out loud. Could be wrong on most points.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Lol, you cows just can't get past the fact that the XSX is the more powerful console... lmao. Going to be a fun gen.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

@sakaixx said:

All that stuck in people's mind is that PS4 did 1080p in multiplats, while Xbox One only reached 900p.

If MS are smart they can play the same tune this gen and outplay Sony by saying they have a higher res or something...

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Experts have spoken!

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

That developer is probably right about only ps5 exclusives taking advantage of the sdd but thats 75% of the reason im choosing the ps5 anyway. It's definitely not so i can play call of duty, battlefield, and assassins creed at slightly higher resolutions. Kind of weird that a 1st party developer would say that. I guess Microsoft is getting worried about the reveal tomorrow.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By faponte13
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

@cloud_man: @R4gn4r0k:

You 2 are not remember ps4/xboxone generation right. The PS4 was clearly more powerful but the fanboys kept saying wait till directx updates and the cloud are up and running. Eventually when that didn't pan out they just rebought a $500 console 4 years later and said look we told you it was gonna be more powerful eventually. Now I can play that same game you are playing but at 4k.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I thought the Ps5 was the lowest common denominator 🤷🏻‍♂️.

xHedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xHedon
Member since 2018 • 293 Posts

@sakaixx said:

On paper, the SSD inside the PS5 has the edge over the next-gen SSD inside the Xbox Series X, but according to Mahler, it doesn’t make sense for third-party developers to adjust their titles around Sony’s SSD. Instead, the Ori creator believes that the majority of third-party devs will just develop for the lowest common denominator – e.g. the Xbox Series X and PC.

- Thomas Mahler, founder and creative director at Ori developer Moon Studios

Now I have no idea why an Xbox 1st party studios want to comment on this but it is likely due to Microsoft losing the narrative over its next gen product that they had to sent a 1st party director that don't even develop for PlayStation to damage control. PS5 SSD is so next gen its even more next gen than Series X that microsoft had to do damage controlling on the spark that is the almighty PS5 SSD.

Source:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/ori-dev-ps5s-super-fast-ssd-is-nice-for-first-party-titles-but-multiplats-will-be-developed-for-the-lowest-common-denominator/amp/

Last gen tech? Why lie?

Xbox first party? Why lie?

The PS5 doesn't need a CPU, GPU or RAM, because it has an SSD?

LOL GTFO.

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

That has been true for game development for a vast, vast majority of titles since around when the XBOX 360 came out and all of the sudden PC devs realized they could massively expand their user base by making the game with weaker PC derived hardware in the console in mind.

And wait, is the big hardware breakthrough of this gen the storage on one of the systems? It never ceases to amaze me what you people will grab onto to proclaim the superiority of a system that was obsolete to high end PC's before it even came out.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

@faponte13: "Kind of weird that a 1st party developer would say that. "

Kind of wierd that you think it's a 1st party developer talking....guess you're feeling a little insecure about the ps5.

Moon studios is not a 1st party studio.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

When did Moon Studios become first party? Also he's not wrong though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Hope Sony didn't sink too much money r&d for this.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

All of this is delivered to developers without them needing to do anything. Even the decompression is taken care of by the custom silicon. "You just indicate what data you'd like to read from your original, uncompressed file, and where you'd like to put it, and the whole process of loading it happens invisibly to you and at very high speed," Cerny explains.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-specs-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

There is a PROBLEM with this,sony didn't leave to developers how fast data is loaded,so it doesn't matter if you want fast loading or not,it is there period is hardwire into the system it self.

I think the reason sony did this is simple when sony introduce Blu-ray MS actually blocked developers by policy from having extra content on PS3 disc,and it was pretty simple games must have parity on disc with PS3 versions if not MS would refuse your game,back then the 360 had close to 10 million units basically by the time the PS3 launch,so they were able to do that.

This time sony apparently is no running any chances,the speed is there if you just want faster leading that is what you are going to get,if you don't want it you will get it either way because that is the way the machine is done,now developer can push it even harder but probably would not be able to stop how fast the machine load its data.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tormentos
@i_p_daily said:
@briguyb13 said:

Wait only AAA devs will be using the SSD, and Indies devs are somehow not allowed lol.

Dude indie games are small in size for a reason,they will not need huge data loading most indie games with some small exeptions will be small compare to something like COD.

Case in point Ori and the Will of the Wisps is 10.5GB,man COD is what 13 times bigger?

But i guess he doesn't known that how fast data is loaded on the PS5 is not up to developers,the speed is there were ever you like it or not,what they can create with such speed is different.

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Lol, you cows just can't get past the fact that the XSX is the more powerful console... lmao. Going to be a fun gen.

It sure will when i quote downplaying 40% advantage and now over hyping what ever 18+% more power gives you.🤣

@R4gn4r0k said:
@sakaixx said:

All that stuck in people's mind is that PS4 did 1080p in multiplats, while Xbox One only reached 900p.

If MS are smart they can play the same tune this gen and outplay Sony by saying they have a higher res or something...

YOu don't see many lemmings hyping the xbox one X power now right? Thats because those who claim to see no difference from 1080p to 720p were exposed as soon as they started to hype the xbox one X,and anyone who hype power next gen that downplayed the PS4 stronger hardware is going to get it..😂😂

You can't downplay 40% more power and now come and hype 18% more power as something game changing is just stupid and lol worthy.

I don't think the xbox series X has enough power to create the kind of gaps the PS4 had over the xbox one,the xbox one X did have them vs the pro because it was 45% stronger,had 4GB more of memory faster CPU and much higher bandwidth,that is not the case now.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7133 Posts

@cloud_man said:

Lol...

• PS4- Muh GDDR 5

cell was powerful but shitty to develop for. it did what they wanted it to towards the end its just it took them to long to get use to.

i think the worse lie out of them all and the most funny one was from Microsoft. xcloud will make your xbox one have the power that equals 3 xbox ones.

the cell was hyped by sony alone. the ssd is being hyped by other people like tim sweeny or john carmock and third partys as well. look at last of us or god of war 3. if the ps3 was easy to develop for it would of blown away the 360. sorry just facts the cell was a monster for its time. it even helped cancer research in a huge way. instead of getting results in 3 months it took 3 days instead.

the ssd is not what is being hyped and not just sony is hyping it. it is the o/i put that decompresses any where from 9 to 22 gigs of kraken to 5.5 gigs and then the i/o put does the checks in to system memory ram. instead of going through the cpu or gpu to check in. again that is 9 to 22 gigs of assets from ram every second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ehDRCE1Z38 even this guy had to apologize to tim. this also tells you why its ahead of pc. because of the bottlenecks you pc guys seem to forget.

go ahead watch it.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2063 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@cloud_man said:

Lol...

• PS4- Muh GDDR 5

cell was powerful but shitty to develop for. it did what they wanted it to towards the end its just it took them to long to get use to.

i think the worse lie out of them all and the most funny one was from Microsoft. xcloud will make your xbox one have the power that equals 3 xbox ones.

the cell was hyped by sony alone. the ssd is being hyped by other people like tim sweeny or john carmock and third partys as well. look at last of us or god of war 3. if the ps3 was easy to develop for it would of blown away the 360. sorry just facts the cell was a monster for its time. it even helped cancer research in a huge way. instead of getting results in 3 months it took 3 days instead.

the ssd is not what is being hyped and not just sony is hyping it. it is the o/i put that decompresses any where from 9 to 22 gigs of kraken to 5.5 gigs and then the i/o put does the checks in to system memory ram. instead of going through the cpu or gpu to check in. again that is 9 to 22 gigs of assets from ram every second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ehDRCE1Z38 even this guy had to apologize to tim. this also tells you why its ahead of pc. because of the bottlenecks you pc guys seem to forget.

go ahead watch it.

I sure hope Sony are paying you.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tormentos

lol people downplaying Cell and thinking having 120% faster ssd would do nothing.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

"The SSD" is going to become a bigger meme fail than "The Cloud".

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Any of you guys actual developers, or just of the arm chair variety?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gifford38

@sonny2dap said:
@gifford38 said:
@cloud_man said:

Lol...

• PS4- Muh GDDR 5

go ahead watch it.

I sure hope Sony are paying you.

what is funny sony aren't claiming the ssd will make ps5 more powerful than the series x. thats the fanboys. all sony is saying it will be a game changer meaning how they use storage space is the game changer. no more long empty corridors or hundreds copys of assets etc.

no that fact is all game company's had lied or said something that could happen that ends up never happening.

sony comes out and says 100% faster than hhd and hyped it to be a game changer. now everyone is laughing at sony.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26086 Posts

Last gen tech would mean any device running spinning hard drives, such as PC users who haven't upgraded to SSDs.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tormentos

@fedor said:

This is absurd i remember a time here were hermit would brag about how fast leading was on their PC compare to consoles,not only from SSD,since the days of just disc,as it is well know that even 5200rpm disc are much faster than disc are loading games.

Now all of the sudden the PS5 has a very fast ssd but not only that it also fixed bottlenecks that have cause pitfalls on PC for years do to having hundreds of different hardware configurations and some how it means nothing and nothing will happen.

The way i see it you hermits here are green with envy,you can't see console have something good or better than what you have,because it fast spark damage control or other form of stupidity or insecurity.

Man the PS5 SSD will not change the world but it sure bring a change to how things are make which is great,i don't see why hermits need to feel left out or upset,again it was in consoles that multicore CPU usage in games was popularise,fact is the xbox 360 and PS3 used more thgreads on their CPU on 2006 than PC games did for some years,it mean nothing and changed as soon as adoption rate grew,fast SSD even faster than the PS5 are on PC,but the pipeline has bottlenecks.

Again what does it serve you to have a car that can hit 200mph when you are riging in a straigth line and there is a red line on every block you drive by making you stop.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@tormentos said:
@fedor said:

This is absurd i remember a time here were hermit would brag about how fast leading was on their PC compare to consoles,not only from SSD,since the days of just disc,as it is well know that even 5200rpm disc are much faster than disc are loading games.

Now all of the sudden the PS5 has a very fast ssd but not only that it also fixed bottlenecks that have cause pitfalls on PC for years do to having hundreds of different hardware configurations and some how it means nothing and nothing will happen.

The way i see it you hermits here are green with envy,you can't see console have something good or better than what you have,because it fast spark damage control or other form of stupidity or insecurity.

Man the PS5 SSD will not change the world but it sure bring a change to how things are make which is great,i don't see why hermits need to feel left out or upset,again it was in consoles that multicore CPU usage in games was popularise,fact is the xbox 360 and PS3 used more thgreads on their CPU on 2006 than PC games did for some years,it mean nothing and changed as soon as adoption rate grew,fast SSD even faster than the PS5 are on PC,but the pipeline has bottlenecks.

Again what does it serve you to have a car that can hit 200mph when you are riging in a straigth line and there is a red line on every block you drive by making you stop.

What a hilarious response. "I'm not saying it's going to change the world" goes on to say how it's going to change gaming as a whole. You can't make up this kind of over hype.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

I was told that this isn't how game development works...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@tormentos said:
@fedor said:

I've been using SSDs since the days of PS3 Prime. Look, it's nice to have on next-gen consoles now, but not gonna be revolutionary, its gonna make games load faster.

Is this gonna be one of your tantrums tormentos? This looks like another episode of damage control.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

@tormentos said:
@fedor said:

First things first, for the 56th time where are the sources for GDDR is better than DDR for CPUs?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

The hype for the PS5 SSD is phenomenal. Now I am reading that it can do things that are impossible on any other platform. I can't wait for instantaneous loading and games that cannot be accomplished on anything besides the PS5. This going to be fun.😎

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bluestars

Put the ps5 SSD in a pro and hey presto next gen

Da power of da SSD hah

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@bluestars said:

Put the ps5 SSD in a pro and hey presto next gen

Da power of da SSD hah

No!😐

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

This is the exact quote:

The super fast PS5 SSD is nice for first party [sic], but it won't make any economical sense to heavily adjust your games to suit one particular platform.”

^ I agree with this if we think of it in terms of game design. Multiplatform games won't change the fundamental game design on one platform vs another.

The truth is, the SSDs on both the XSX and, PS5 enable changes in game design. Which is great!

BUT ...

The PS5's SSD speed is still a "free" performance boost. You don't *need* to adjust a single thing. It's File I/O.

You ask for anything off of storage and, you get said speed / performance. You don't code for or, against "free" performance.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sakaiXx

@Pedro said:

The hype for the PS5 SSD is phenomenal. Now I am reading that it can do things that are impossible on any other platform. I can't wait for instantaneous loading and games that cannot be accomplished on anything besides the PS5. This going to be fun.😎

Ride the PS5 SSD hype train BABY!

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bluestars

@Pedro:

NO.....damn I thought with the PS5 SSD being able to close the 3tflop advantage the series X has in da power department Next gen (according to cows)then my sarcastic tongue in cheek dig at Sony fanboys may have been possible

HAH

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness: Performance boost as in better FPS? Higher resolution? Better AI? Cause these are what I would consider performance boost, not faster loading screens.

I_own_u_4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 I_own_u_4ever
Member since 2020 • 647 Posts

If I made this thread it would be spam and said we already had this thread and would be insta locked.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@i_own_u_4ever said:

If I made this thread it would be spam and said we already had this thread and would be insta locked.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@i_own_u_4ever said:

Nah! Its more along the lines that you are obnoxious.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gifford38

@kingtito said:

@Nonstop-Madness: Performance boost as in better FPS? Higher resolution? Better AI? Cause these are what I would consider performance boost, not faster loading screens.

i think people ask to much.

ps5 we get a better gpu, cpu, 3d audio, more functions and better controller, no load speeds, easier to develop for, better compression over the ps4. will equal better everything you said above.