Ori and the Will of the Wisp Switch Port (DF)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

Seems like Moon Studios did a great job with the Switch port. For the most part the framerate is stable and the visuals, while compromised is done in a manner that marginally affects the visual quality. The video also shares some useful information for the folks who believe that games has to be made with the weakest system in mind and shows how some developers manage their scaling processes.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Sounds like they did a good job with this port. 👍

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pedro

@girlusocrazy said:

So if MS stops supporting the One it will be out of ineptitude? I wonder why they made the Series S for 1080p if they could have just kept selling the One and One X.

I guess developers have no excuses not to port their current and future games to Switch. RE7 should have been an easy port and not streaming only.

You didn't think that one through. Feel free to revise.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Moon studios are a great dev team.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

glad it was a good port. I still need to play the first one... but it's on the list

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

They did a good job and I know the game is more demanding then it seems, its still not like some of the other switch ports if we are honest. I think there is a misunderstanding with these scaling this and that arguments. The usual forum discourse demands binary answers. Of course technically every game can be scaled. Folks just have to understand that. Some think that it is easy just turn things down here and there. There is work to be done in some cases it takes more effort.

It is feasible for people including digital foundry to wish that all efforts be put in to new hardware. Utilize not only there power differences but there new make ups to push the design. If the weaker consoles have to be left out so be it. Perhaps port scale or whatever later. First push the game with new hardware right away. Some dev have the same concerns some don't. Sometimes it all marketing. 343 for example will tell you now nothing was held back. It was built to take advantage of new hardware from the get go. Then for Halo Infinite 2 say without thinking about developing for older consoles we were able to really push things this time blah blah.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

This will probably be 4th Switch game for me this year, Moon Studios is really good at their job. Must be because they are not a 1st party studio, I mean imagine if this is made by 343i. Ewww.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

@xantufrog said:

glad it was a good port. I still need to play the first one... but it's on the list

I would recommend playing it in order. If you play the latest then the old then your experience of the old one may be disappointing because they changed a lot with the game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Pedro: thanks - that was the plan. The first is on GP, so I figured I'd start there when I wasn't drowning under unfinished games

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I play it on PC, it's definitely a well done, and challenging platformer.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

With games like Diablo III running well on the Switch, the system is very capable of running quality ports of current gen games; it all ultimately comes down to the skill of the dev team and the amount of effort they put into scaling it onto the system.

If a single game turns out to be a bad port, let's take The Outer Worlds for example, it really says something more about the team that did a crappy job more than the system itself.

I'm glad the Ori games are great ones. I'll have to check them out at some point.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jaydan

@Pedro said:
@xantufrog said:

I would recommend playing it in order. If you play the latest then the old then your experience of the old one may be disappointing because they changed a lot with the game.

I was thinking of just playing the second one since I'm trying to save money right now. If I do just go for the second entry, my main concern: is it a continued story or is it a fresh template that you don't really need to play the first one to be familiar with certain things?

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@jaydan said:

I was thinking of just playing the second one since I'm trying to save money right now. If I do just go for the second entry, my main concern: is it a continued story or is it a fresh template that you don't really need to play the first one to be familiar with certain things?

You can skip it, if you really want to, but it is a continuation of the first. You'll be wondering who this is and why that is happening etc.

The first game shouldn't be missed and really prepares you for what's to come. The second game changes up some of the formula and gets a bit easier as well, so if you want a real challenge, play the first game.. first.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jaydan

@briguyb13: hmm we'll see. With a lot of games, it will probably be an impulse buy.

I don't mind playing a later entry in the series as long as I'm not completely lost in what's going on. I suspect it wouldn't be like watching the third Lord of the Rings being completely lost because watching the first two are completely necessary to know what's going on.

@girlusocrazy: Diablo III is a PC game that got ported over to the consoles. The point is people would have never expected a game like that to run as well as it does on the Switch.

Not all ports have been created equal, though. The Switch has its share of bad ones as well, which goes to my point in the Switch's capability ultimately boils down to the efforts of the dev team putting them on the system.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jaydan

@girlusocrazy: You're missing the point that I'm trying to make over the Switch handling such ports as well as they do boiling down to developer effort.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#22 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17798 Posts

It's a potato game. Of course it can be optimized for potato hardware.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Awesome... about to start playing this. Can't wait.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I really need to get on playing this and the original.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I've been working through this on the Switch, and perhaps I've been spoiled by the PC, but it runs markedly worse. It's supposedly 60, but I'm getting consistent stutters and drops to the point at times I cease playing. Not small issues.

Not really to complain further as it's wonderful to have this on the go at all in compliment to the original (especially after MS and Moon alluded a Switch port was unlikely), but the Switch's limitations unfortunately rear their head here. Hopefully a patch will soon arrive to help mitigate.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Irrelevant side scrolling indie game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@MirkoS77 said:

I've been working through this on the Switch, and perhaps I've been spoiled by the PC, but it runs markedly worse. It's supposedly 60, but I'm getting consistent stutters and drops to the point at times I cease playing. Not small issues.

Not really to complain further as it's wonderful to have this on the go at all in compliment to the original (especially after MS and Moon alluded a Switch port was unlikely), but the Switch's limitations unfortunately rear their head here. Hopefully a patch will soon arrive to help mitigate.

Are you playing it on the Lite or the "big" Switch?

If you are experiencing framerate issues, then DF video maybe inaccurate. 😮

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Pedro said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Are you playing it on the Lite or the "big" Switch?

If you are experiencing framerate issues, then DF video maybe inaccurate. 😮

Regular.

Though to be fair I've been noticing issues with Mario Allstars as well, so it could be something with my system. I haven't watched DF's video yet.