Open Vs Closed platforms

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

aka Pc vs Consoles/Mac/Mobiles etc.

I'd like to have your guys' opinion on that. what do you prefer and why?

I always hated on Apple computers because of them being closed platforms that defy the concept of fiddling, upgrading and so on; there are also many pictures on the internet, like the so called gay tests:

but I had the possibility to try the Ipad, which I hate so much, and a Mac, that I'm recently using at the office and I gotta say that, this latter, for some aspects it makes things easier than Windows-based Pc's.

Still I'm a newbie to the Apple world, but let's go back to the OP.

are you guys more like win easy or win hard?

are closed platforms the way to go for the industry or open ones are?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
I heavily dislike closed systems, that being one reason why I am selling my Sony PlayStation 3. The PC just gives you SO MANY MORE options, many of them being free to boot. I am done with consoles and I would never get an overpriced Apple computer either.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

I personally hate closed systems. Ok, well not hate but I dislike them. I much better prefer an open platform.

Android Linux for Phone. PC and Linux for Desktop and Laptop Computing.

Closed System, do have their perks over open platforms. Things tend to be more organized and stuff, doesn't matter to me though.

Closed Systems however tend to be more expensive just for that perk. Ugh yuck.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I believe home computers like the Commodore 64 should make a return:

:P

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

They both have advantages. I bought a Macbook a few years ago because I was tired of crappy PC laptop hardware that would almost always fail in a year or so. I also got tired of Windows updating essentially slowing down the computer to the point where you have to upgrade.

The Mac was cool in a lot of ways, and not so cool in a lot of others. I suppose if you primarily used Macs you wouldn't miss a lot of the cool things you can do with a PC, but that wasn't me. Mac's are better for their design and functionality for the most part. Very rarely to programs crash on them.

On the other hand, basic compatability is gone once you start using a Mac. Sure, there are a lot of programs out there that basically make Macs compatable with almost anything you need from the PC world, but they are almost always expensive. Free programs are very uncommon on Macs, making them more expensive when you buy them and more expensive to use them.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Open platforms tend to play it fast and loose. There is more fun to be had, more freedom and you can do what you want in modding, more places to get games from or play on (Steam, Origin and Direct2Drive) but hackers and pirates can also have fun unless the game's publishers can try to police it, and with DRM's, everyone loses.

Closed platforms have more control, jerks and pirates can get banned and not as much worry for cheaters and piracy with good policing (especially by MS, who bans kids for playing early copies and using exploits), but it also takes away any freedom. Modding is not at all tolerated, game development has to go through the channels (so making your own indie game or flash game can't happen without a publisher or support), and everything just has a little extra layer of control in the servers and service.

Both have their pros and cons, sometimes I like to avoid an aimbotting jerk and go play Uncharted, other times I want to go play BF3 on a flight server. I do think that there is a good middle ground between control over cheaters and freedom for modders that consoles should try and go for.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

So long as I like the games, I don't really care if it's a closed or open system. If MS ported the upcoming Flight to its next-gen console and slashed the PC version, would I switch? Of, course.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
That's why I like my MacBook. It just works, damn near every time I use it. I really only have a problem every couple years or so.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#10 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I like both for different reasons.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
I like open systems better. I don't mind closed systems as long as they don't interfere with my open systems. That's basically why I despise M$.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

open systems are the best.

But they can also be the worst.