ONLIVE fact.....may lead to epic phail....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

true onlive is supposed to b the netflicks version of video games. online support, fast forward, rewind and record.

UNFORTUNATLY the online service for onlive is regional. what i mean by that is unlike xbl and psn, if you have one friend that lives in say, florida and another friend that lives in Cali, the two of you will NOT be able to play online together.

they say the reason is because onlive reliese so heavily on its online servers obviously because its strictly an online service that they need 4 different servers to make sure the service runs lag free. theres a west coast server, an east coast server and two servers that govern thenorth and south regions inbetween. you can play and make friends with the peoplein your server area but if you have buddies or family further than that....youre outta luck

mdisen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 mdisen2
Member since 2005 • 1133 Posts

Laughable fail.

jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts
I just want to play single player games, I don't care about online "buddies" or "friends'. If I can play the latest games without lag which is a mega huge if that works for me.
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 slvrraven9
I just want to play single player games, I don't care about online "buddies" or "friends'. If I can play the latest games without lag which is a mega huge if that works for me. jdt532
thats ok but i hope theyre not expecint to win over the online community with this kinda service...obviously its going to be a battle. good idea for a service but for me....i can get the same games on another system and plkay with anyone. i just wonder what kind...if any exclusives itll get
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

[QUOTE="jdt532"]I just want to play single player games, I don't care about online "buddies" or "friends'. If I can play the latest games without lag which is a mega huge if that works for me. Vexx88
You got beat up in high school didn't you?

wish I had a /facepalm gif somewhere....

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts

From what I remember about OnLive, I believe the founder mentioned how low ping times between players on the same server would be, and then he also mentioned that players on different servers would experience typical ping times.

In other words, I am skeptical of what you are saying? Do you have a link or something to verify the region locking of online games?

cody3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cody3232
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

[QUOTE="jdt532"]I just want to play single player games, I don't care about online "buddies" or "friends'. If I can play the latest games without lag which is a mega huge if that works for me. Vexx88

Why cause he doesn't care about making gamer buddies?

jdt532

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jdt532
Member since 2003 • 4236 Posts

What? :| I just prefer single player games...

404-not-found

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 404-not-found
Member since 2009 • 1050 Posts

I wish there was some kind of device that allowed you to punch people through the internet.
xscott1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xscott1018
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts
well, something tells me that there will not be a lot of onLive for a while. it will be forgotten soon.
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 slvrraven9
[QUOTE="kimbokasteniv"]

From what I remember about OnLive, I believe the founder mentioned how low ping times between players on the same server would be, and then he also mentioned that players on different servers would experience typical ping times.

In other words, I am skeptical of what you are saying? Do you have a link or something to verify the region locking of online games?

im sorry i dont have a link. but i do have a source. it was in this months issue of Game Informer. the section that details the specifics of onlive... i think thisll b a pretty significant blow to its service. i can quote specificaly what it says and give you the page number if you want though....
keano3333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 keano3333
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts

You have no friends outside the internet, correct?????
XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts
[QUOTE="Vexx88"][QUOTE="jdt532"]I just want to play single player games, I don't care about online "buddies" or "friends'. If I can play the latest games without lag which is a mega huge if that works for me. 404-not-found

I wish there was some kind of device that allowed you to punch people through the internet.

that made me lol hard for some reason...
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

[QUOTE="Vexx88"][QUOTE="jdt532"]I just want to play single player games, I don't care about online "buddies" or "friends'. If I can play the latest games without lag which is a mega huge if that works for me. Filthybastrd

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=facepalm

On Topic: Movies have nothing to do with video games so I don't like it.

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts
I have a feeling it wouldn't be very popular anyways, it was just one of those superfluous announcements about XBL that Microsoft makes every year.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

true onlive is supposed to b the netflicks version of video games. online support, fast forward, rewind and record.

UNFORTUNATLY the online service for onlive is regional. what i mean by that is unlike xbl and psn, if you have one friend that lives in say, florida and another friend that lives in Cali, the two of you will NOT be able to play online together.

they say the reason is because onlive reliese so heavily on its online servers obviously because its strictly an online service that they need 4 different servers to make sure the service runs lag free. theres a west coast server, an east coast server and two servers that govern thenorth and south regions inbetween. you can play and make friends with the peoplein your server area but if you have buddies or family further than that....youre outta luck

slvrraven9

How so... your saying that onlive will have separated server that will have no communication between them?

I haven't heard about this... where did you get this info?

SeanDiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 SeanDiff
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts

[QUOTE="Vexx88"][QUOTE="jdt532"]I just want to play single player games, I don't care about online "buddies" or "friends'. If I can play the latest games without lag which is a mega huge if that works for me. Filthybastrd

Quoted for truth. But this is fail, it would be hard to get an online game in some unplayed game like UT3, heck it's hard to get a game as it is and you can play against the whole world.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

OreoMilkshake

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=facepalm

On Topic: Movies have nothing to do with video games so I don't like it.

LOL, ya it's not hard, but people are just lazy.

OnLive seems like a good thing, but I'm not interested in it.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

i just want to play single player campaigns as well, i don't game online, i would rather have a beer and a conversation with my friends, and trust me , i didn't get beaten up at school.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 delta3074
I have a feeling it wouldn't be very popular anyways, it was just one of those superfluous announcements about XBL that Microsoft makes every year.Z0MBIES
onlive has nothing to do with XBL
c02z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 c02z
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts
[QUOTE="Vexx88"][QUOTE="jdt532"]I just want to play single player games, I don't care about online "buddies" or "friends'. If I can play the latest games without lag which is a mega huge if that works for me. 404-not-found

you know that might be a new good idea, I buy the punching device and place next to me so when anyone get mad at me , they only need to do click my name then i get black eyes. amazing :)
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 delta3074
[QUOTE="c02z"][QUOTE="404-not-found"][QUOTE="Vexx88"] You got beat up in high school didn't you?

you know that might be a new good idea, I buy the punching device and place next to me so when anyone get mad at me , they only need to do click my name then i get black eyes. amazing :)

no way, i would be getting punched all the time,lol
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 slvrraven9
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="slvrraven9"]

How so... your saying that onlive will have separated server that will have no communication between them?

i already stated where i got it. but to answer your question, yes. and when you think about it it does make sense. although i have no idea how many servers it would take to run a total onling gaming service totally lag free, apparently its 4 but to have a service TOTALLY lag free? i can imagine the stress those servers would take if it had a crapload of people playing on any given night. God forbid one of those servers happen to crash.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#26 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Online just seems hard to believe it will actually work.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="slvrraven9"]

slvrraven9

i already stated where i got it. but to answer your question, yes. and when you think about it it does make sense. although i have no idea how many servers it would take to run a total onling gaming service totally lag free, apparently its 4 but to have a service TOTALLY lag free? i can imagine the stress those servers would take if it had a crapload of people playing on any given night. God forbid one of those servers happen to crash.

Bah, i'll wait for link... taking your word on gamespot is worthless.

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 kimbokasteniv
Member since 2004 • 3892 Posts
[QUOTE="slvrraven9"] im sorry i dont have a link. but i do have a source. it was in this months issue of Game Informer. the section that details the specifics of onlive... i think thisll b a pretty significant blow to its service. i can quote specificaly what it says and give you the page number if you want though....

Well, if I assume it is true, then I think it may be a problem. But I am not sure it will be as big as a problem as you are predicting. For instance, when playing COD4, all of the servers I play on are physically close to me (in the same state, or 1 or 2 states away). So if the same were to happen on OnLive, I am not sure I would even notice. Of course, like you said, if I knew someone across the country, and wanted to play online with them, then this would not be possible. That could be a problem, although, people may look past it if OnLive is priced right. Otherwise, I think the real make or break will be the amount of lag when playing a game. If it works like they claim it works, I think people will be willing to make some compromises.
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
thats funny. but no if anythign it will doom consoles
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

I belive Regional refers to different continents such as North America and Europe.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 slvrraven9
if you read all the other posts i told you where i got the info. it wasnt online it was in this months issue of gameinformer that details all the specifics of onlive. so i cant give you a link but i can quote the column word for word and who published it....