One of the best devs/publishers ever is coming back

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

Taken from Kotaku:

Sierra Interactive used to be one of the great developers (and publishers) in the world of PC gaming. They've been dead for a while now, but this teaser website put up by Activision suggests a return (at GamesCom) is imminent.

What kind of return that would be is anyone's guess. We could get a full-blown revival, with new games in classic franchises, since Activision owns most of Sierra's old properties.

Or we could get an Atari-like deal, where just the label lives on and we get a bunch of re-releases (not the worst news).

Or...well, you don't need me to bring up the less desirable possibilities. The ones involving app stores and *shudders*.

Are you excited? I don't expect much but it's cool the brand has made a comeback.

FYI, Sierra specialized in developing adventure games, such as King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Phantasmagoria and Gabriel Knight series (all of them huge PC classics). They were also a prolific publisher with games ranging from Half-Life 1 through SWAT 3 to Aliens vs Predator 2 under their belt.

#3 Posted by parkurtommo (28295 posts) -

Well let's hope Activision doesn't **** it up.

#4 Edited by AdrianWerner (28437 posts) -

I wonder what is it. Sierra brand is mostly adventure games, because Activision has actually sold most of the valuable non-adventure IPs

#5 Posted by Sollet (8074 posts) -

I really like their games back in the day, so this is cool news indeed!

#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (32920 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Or we could get an Atari-like deal, where just the label lives on and we get a bunch of re-releases (not the worst news).

Are you excited? I don't expect much but it's cool the brand has made a comeback.

FYI, Sierra specialized in developing adventure games, such as King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Phantasmagoria and Gabriel Knight series (all of them huge PC classics). They were also a prolific publisher with games ranging from Half-Life 1 through SWAT 3 to Aliens vs Predator 2 under their belt.

Or slap it on one of their biggest money making franchises (CoD/Skylanders) like Infrogrames did Atari and Dragon Ball Z.

#7 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

Nothing but bad vibes from this.

#8 Posted by getyeryayasout (11233 posts) -

The earliest part of my Apple II days were defined by Sierra and Borderbund, great times.

#9 Edited by Snugenz (13388 posts) -

Great dev, strange though that there's a Homeworld remaster on the way and now a Sierra revival could be in the works.

P.S Not suggesting that Sierra will be publishing it as the I.P was sold.

#10 Edited by super600 (32339 posts) -

I have a funny feeling that this won't be something everyone on this board will like. Code from the sierra site was posted on gaf and some of the code points to activision creating a digital store to compete with EA's origin.Activision may also use the sierra name to port some of sierra's old games to multiple different platforms.

#11 Posted by super600 (32339 posts) -

@santoron said:

Nothing but bad vibes from this.

I had the same thought when I looked up more info about this.

#12 Posted by illmatic87 (17850 posts) -

Back in the day

Sierra > LucasArts

#13 Posted by nutcrackr (13029 posts) -

Wish it was anybody but Activision. However this clearly means Activision does not have full confidence in their money earners.

#14 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14291 posts) -

Really liked their games but I am not expecting much ATM because they may not have all those key people now . And anything related to Activision is not a good sign .

#15 Posted by DocSanchez (4147 posts) -

This is good news. But anyone suggesting they outdid Lucasarts is kidding themselves. Sam and Max, Day of The Tentacle, Monkey Island. Come on, let's not kid ourselves.

Still, there is something to be said for old school adventures coming back, even in 3D.