On "kiddy" games...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 matthayter700
Member since 2004 • 2606 Posts

I haven't posted on Gamespot in a while, and I haven't posted on System Wars in much, much longer... but I remember from a while ago that on this site, especially here on System Wars, a common argument was that certain games (or the consoles they were on) were "kiddy" and therefore not for adults. Why, exactly?

The main form I'd see this argument in was stuff like "look how many E-rated games Gamecube has, that console's obviously for kids, other consoles have more mature games"; but ESRB ratings are supposed to be a measure of how appropriate the games are for kids, not how inappropriate they are for adults. And why exactly would "appropriate for kids" imply that something is less mature? Would those who apply this to video games apply it to, let's say, movies, and imply that it's immature for adults to watch G-rated Disney movies too?

That particular argument, of course, since applied to Nintendo would seem to most often be put forth by fanboys of non-Nintendo systems, but even some Nintendo fanboys' counterarguments shared the same underlying flaw; such as the sarcastic "more kiddy kidtendo games" posts that showed screenshots of its most graphic, violent games... but does graphic violence really imply maturity? I'd think there's more to maturity than that...

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
believe it or not, they still argue about that see? war doesnt change
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
There's plenty more to maturity than blood... but you don't see that in "kiddy" games, either. I mean, where's the Mario game where he finds that someone has manipulated his entire life specifically so that he'll kill Bowser? Where's the Zelda game that asks you to decide whether it's worth letting an entire ship full of people die so that he can stay undercover? Where's the Sonic game where you have to choose whether it's easier to kill a colony infected by mind-controlling spores to save yourself from being attacked by the colonists? You're just not going to see Nintendo go anywhere near those themes. And while they all involve life or death, it's not the blood and guts that makes them "mature".
matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 matthayter700
There's plenty more to maturity than blood... but you don't see that in "kiddy" games, either. I mean, where's the Mario game where he finds that someone has manipulated his entire life specifically so that he'll kill Bowser? Where's the Zelda game that asks you to decide whether it's worth letting an entire ship full of people die so that he can stay undercover? Where's the Sonic game where you have to choose whether it's easier to kill a colony infected by mind-controlling spores to save yourself from being attacked by the colonists? You're just not going to see Nintendo go anywhere near those themes. And while they all involve life or death, it's not the blood and guts that makes them "mature".lowe0
Actually, Sonic Adventure 2 deals with concepts like secret military/government weapons projects, the idea of an evil scientist finding out about them and using them to extort the world into surrendering to his empire, and the idea of a vengeful professor programming some space colony to impact Earth and wipe out all human beings because of his hatred towards them, if I recall correctly. Those are some pretty heavy themes for a "kiddy" game. I can't think of any other game I've played that uses the phrase "weapons of mass destruction" during a cutscene. Nitpick aside, though, I guess what you're saying is that it's not the blood that's argued to be the "mature" aspect of "mature" games, so much as the dark themes. Fair enough, but I think that point should then be argued more clearly, rather than through simplistic "lamecube sucks cuz its teh kidday" arguments, which is the way I recall this subject being handled last time I was here at system wars...
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

To be honest I stopped caring about maturity and kiddy when I started realizing I game to feel young and have fun. I would rather have people peg E games with kiddy and be ignorant about it then try and defend the depth behind sonic. I don't really care. Also, if E rated stuff like Sonic (of old) and Mario are kiddy, then I'd rather be the guy who knows what he likes then is scared to look immature. I will continue to feel all fuzzy while playing SMG and let people judge my maturity on how I conduct myself. I no longer care.

Duxsox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Duxsox56
Member since 2009 • 1186 Posts

Yes, unfortunately games are still bashed by ignorant fools as being too "kiddy".

I know that Xbox360 fanboys LOOOOOVE hating on both Ratchet and Clank and especially Little Big Planet for being too kiddy, even though they are both great games which can be enjoyed immensely by any age.

uyiop0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uyiop0t
Member since 2009 • 615 Posts
Well, games that are "kiddy" can come across as "cartoony," and perhaps people above a certain age are not going to want to play those games, because they might seem like something that would be on a Saturday morning cartoon. It's not that a "kiddy" game is inappropriate for people above a certain age, it's that peoples' tastes change as they get older and so will their taste in games.
matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 matthayter700
[QUOTE="Duxsox56"]

Yes, unfortunately games are still bashed by ignorant fools as being too "kiddy".

I know that Xbox360 fanboys LOOOOOVE hating on both Ratchet and Clank and especially Little Big Planet for being too kiddy, even though they are both great games which can be enjoyed immensely by any age.

Again, I don't think it's fair to single out fanboys of any particular console for this. See my earlier point about Nintendo fanboys' counterarguments sharing the same flaws. I doubt it's even necessarily a fanboyism-centric subject so much as a pseudo-maturity subject. Though for what it's worth, the responses to this thread were generally more intellectual than I expected them to be. From what I recalled about system wars, when posting this topic I almost expected the responses to be mostly among three basic categories: 1. "OMG how could u compar us ppl who liek MATURE games to kidtendo sheep, their rong were rite" 2. "OMG how could u compar us ppl who see how MATURE Nintendo gaems are, to $ony cows and M$ lemmings, their rong were rite" 3. "LOLOLOLOL this is system wars LOGIC DOESNT APPLY HERE N00B" If that happened, my opinions would've been closest to option 3... but instead, this thread's responses so far have turned out to be surprisingly rational. Either I've misremembered System Wars or it's changed. o.o
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
I don't care. The distinction means nothing to me. I still play Ratchet & Clank, Pokemon, Zelda and games like that that are aimed at a younger audience and more often than not they provide more pure fun and soul than many a "mature" title has failed to do.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc30280b8881
deactivated-5fc30280b8881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5fc30280b8881
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts

Well, games that are "kiddy" can come across as "cartoony," and perhaps people above a certain age are not going to want to play those games, because they might seem like something that would be on a Saturday morning cartoon. It's not that a "kiddy" game is inappropriate for people above a certain age, it's that peoples' tastes change as they get older and so will their taste in games.uyiop0t

At which point we get into the western society's stigma of animation being good only for children's stuff and slapstick humor. If western animation in general is so stigmatized (and the stigma upheld by western cartoonists), it could pass over to video games. Frankly, you don't see western devs do stuff like Mario and Sonic and so on much at all. They're afraid of being colourful without the justification of humor (see Overlord).

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

The artstyle and storyline of videogames do not indicate difficulty, its actually the inverse that is the most likely indicator. I play games for the challenge, so it means nothing to me.

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

To be honest I stopped caring about maturity and kiddy when I started realizing I game to feel young and have fun. I would rather have people peg E games with kiddy and be ignorant about it then try and defend the depth behind sonic. I don't really care. Also, if E rated stuff like Sonic (of old) and Mario are kiddy, then I'd rather be the guy who knows what he likes then is scared to look immature. I will continue to feel all fuzzy while playing SMG and let people judge my maturity on how I conduct myself. I no longer care.

ActicEdge
What he said!! That sums up my thoughts and feelings on this matter perfectly!! Who cares if a game is considered kiddy? as long as its fun its all good in my books. Hell half the "mature" games out there don't even appeal to me because they don't look like I would enjoy them or have fun playing them. Take any FPS for example. I refuse to buy them because I don't enjoy playing them but I am all over NSMBWii. and for the record I am 28
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

I just enjoy games that are fun, don't care about about graphics or art sty1es. If the game isn't fun, then there is no point in playing it.

Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
[QUOTE="92GreenYJ"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

What he said!! That sums up my thoughts and feelings on this matter perfectly!! Who cares if a game is considered kiddy? as long as its fun its all good in my books. Hell half the "mature" games out there don't even appeal to me because they don't look like I would enjoy them or have fun playing them. Take any FPS for example. I refuse to buy them because I don't enjoy playing them but I am all over NSMBWii. and for the record I am 28

Exactly, games like Boom Blox are fun and the game is rated E
92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
I don't care. The distinction means nothing to me. I still play Ratchet & Clank, Pokemon, Zelda and games like that that are aimed at a younger audience and more often than not they provide more pure fun and soul than many a "mature" title has failed to do. Silent-Hal
The irony here is i still feel this way about the movie industry too. Most "kid or family" movies are way better than anything Hollywood has been churning out for mature audiences. I still go see every new Pixar and Disney movie, Dreamworks animated movies, etc.
Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
I dunno, havnt seen someone yell "kiddy game" in awhile.
13C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 13C
Member since 2010 • 1024 Posts

believe it or not, they still argue about that see? war doesnt changefunsohng

oh really. Solid snake says it does. :o

13C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 13C

Made for teh kiddies

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
well i just like to bring up this thread when people talk about kiddy in gaming http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26696581
13C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 13C

well i just like to bring up this thread when people talk about kiddy in gaming http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26696581surrealnumber5

fixed

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

My assumption about the whole "kiddy" games argument is that a good amount of those who say that are immature kids who think that the bloodier games you play, the manlier you are.

I do not know if Mingebags are still present in system wars.

matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 matthayter700

My assumption about the whole "kiddy" games argument is that a good amount of those who say that are immature kids who think that the bloodier games you play, the manlier you are.

flashn00b
That's the impression I got about this as well; I would think that the ones who really are more mature would appreciate games that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"]believe it or not, they still argue about that see? war doesnt change13C

oh really. Solid snake says it does. :o

And Ron Pearlman says it DOESN'T!

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Sure, some games can be kiddy, but if it's a fun game with great gameplay and a blast to play, it's irrelevant whether it's kiddy or mature. I like playing GTA 4 as much as I like to play Mario or Pokemon, and does that make me more "mature"? As far as I'm concerned, I only care about playing a great game, rather than to boost my testosterone levels to hid my low self-esteem.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
I think it's common knowledge around here (at least it should be by now) that most 5-12 year olds are playing Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2... since when are kids playing E-rated games anyway?
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

believe it or not, they still argue about that see? war doesnt changefunsohng
Snake wasn't right!? :o

matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 matthayter700
Sure, some games can be kiddy, but if it's a fun game with great gameplay and a blast to play, it's irrelevant whether it's kiddy or mature. I like playing GTA 4 as much as I like to play Mario or Pokemon, and does that make me more "mature"? As far as I'm concerned, I only care about playing a great game, rather than to boost my testosterone levels to hid my low self-esteem.hiphops_savior
So I take it you're saying that people dismiss certain games as "kiddy" because they have low self-esteem or something?
primitive013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 primitive013
Member since 2003 • 1422 Posts
my 6 yr old daughter loves kiddy games
eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts
[QUOTE="lowe0"]There's plenty more to maturity than blood... but you don't see that in "kiddy" games, either. I mean, where's the Mario game where he finds that someone has manipulated his entire life specifically so that he'll kill Bowser? Where's the Zelda game that asks you to decide whether it's worth letting an entire ship full of people die so that he can stay undercover? Where's the Sonic game where you have to choose whether it's easier to kill a colony infected by mind-controlling spores to save yourself from being attacked by the colonists? You're just not going to see Nintendo go anywhere near those themes. And while they all involve life or death, it's not the blood and guts that makes them "mature".

I dont know, Zelda has played host to some of the most mature story telling in videogaming. The themes and concepts embedded in Majora's Mask give the game a melancholy atmosphere that develops into something quite chilling. I used to think, as a child, that I just didnt like the game. Then I realised that it just scared me. Nintendo are quite capable of exploring mature themes without the M Rated trappings.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#30 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I haven't posted on Gamespot in a while, and I haven't posted on System Wars in much, much longer... but I remember from a while ago that on this site, especially here on System Wars, a common argument was that certain games (or the consoles they were on) were "kiddy" and therefore not for adults. Why, exactly?

The main form I'd see this argument in was stuff like "look how many E-rated games Gamecube has, that console's obviously for kids, other consoles have more mature games"; but ESRB ratings are supposed to be a measure of how appropriate the games are for kids, not how inappropriate they are for adults. And why exactly would "appropriate for kids" imply that something is less mature? Would those who apply this to video games apply it to, let's say, movies, and imply that it's immature for adults to watch G-rated Disney movies too?

That particular argument, of course, since applied to Nintendo would seem to most often be put forth by fanboys of non-Nintendo systems, but even some Nintendo fanboys' counterarguments shared the same underlying flaw; such as the sarcastic "more kiddy kidtendo games" posts that showed screenshots of its most graphic, violent games... but does graphic violence really imply maturity? I'd think there's more to maturity than that...

matthayter700

Ironically, the only period in my life when I specifically desired violent games was when I was around 10 years old. For a kid, violence in games and movies was kind of a taboo, and we all know that forbidden fruits taste the best.

I think it's rather pathetic, though, that people seem to equal graphic violence with maturity. Maturity shines through in gameplay, not in how much blood you shed. In this sense, many M-rated games can actually be rather childish, as they offer mindless, cheap violence to cover up the lack of decent gameplay. Sophisticated gameplay will shine through despite of its cosmetics. Those cosmetics can also be deceiving. Obviously this goes for classic examples of cartoony fluff meeting violent outbursts such as with Conker's Bad Fur Day, but also for the Paper Mario games, which are seemingly cute, but contain incredible amounts of depth in terms of both gameplay and writing. Often these games will contain references or jokes which will only be understood by a more mature audience.

That being said, I think the connotation between violence and maturity has been constructed by teenagers who are in some way insecure about their own maturity, and look to compensate it by playing supposedly mature games. All in all, people who purposely avoid great games because they feature 'cartoony' graphics are only disadvantaging themselves.

matthayter700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 matthayter700

I dont know, Zelda has played host to some of the most mature story telling in videogaming. The themes and concepts embedded in Majora's Mask give the game a melancholy atmosphere that develops into something quite chilling.lowe0
I haven't played much of Majora's Mask, though from what I've played I think an advantage that game and Ocarina of Time share is the sheer variety of styles within each game, and the changes between them; that's probably more effective than something that's constantly "intense." For example, with Mortal Kombat, its "intensity" is in its shock value, and even that doesn't last long. But in the N64 Zeldas, it's cutesy one minute, apocalytic the next... and I find that kind of rapid change in style much more impactful than a consistently "intense" style... anyone else notice that?

eveileb-ekam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 eveileb-ekam
Member since 2009 • 1578 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"]I dont know, Zelda has played host to some of the most mature story telling in videogaming. The themes and concepts embedded in Majora's Mask give the game a melancholy atmosphere that develops into something quite chilling.matthayter700

I haven't played much of Majora's Mask, though from what I've played I think an advantage that game and Ocarina of Time share is the sheer variety of styles within each game, and the changes between them; that's probably more effective than something that's constantly "intense." For example, with Mortal Kombat, its "intensity" is in its shock value, and even that doesn't last long. But in the N64 Zeldas, it's cutesy one minute, apocalytic the next... and I find that kind of rapid change in style much more impactful than a consistently "intense" style... anyone else notice that?

Yes, actually, I completely get what you are saying. There is a certain unease in both of those games that has not been shared by later Zeldas. The Shadow Temple and the Well seriously freaked me out as a child. Hopefully Nintendo can return to that. I am sure they are looking at the successes of the other games when building Zelda Wii.
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
To be honest, I haven't heard of the term "kiddy games" here on GS in a long time. I'm not sure where all those arguments went, but I think it's because people mostly argue about graphics and best exclusives now.
Blade8Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Blade8Aus
Member since 2006 • 1819 Posts

but seriously a full on gory game does look pretty sweet...

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
The argument is stupid beyond belief. I could care less on what the rating is. I play what I'm interested in. Simple.
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

The " to much Kiddy games " argument has now developed in the " to much crappy shovelware " argument , keep up will ya ?

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

When you're 14-17 years old, you think that maturity means "more blood". When you reach adulthood you realize that it's childish to think that "more blood" would be mature. A mature person isn't afraid to admit that he or she can be immature.