On a scale of 1-5 how much do you care about ray-tracing?

• 101 results
Posted by uninspiredcup (34263 posts) 11 days, 2 hours ago

Poll: On a scale of 1-5 how much do you care about ray-tracing? (104 votes)

5 (very High) 22%
Other options 28%
1 (very low) 50%

I see this pop up when talking about next gen, but I don't think I've ever cared about anything less.

#51 Posted by mojito1988 (3670 posts) -

-100. How about we just make some great games with great....gameplay?

#52 Posted by sakaiXx (5878 posts) -

I put it at 5.

#53 Posted by Pedro (35379 posts) -

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

How so?

Because it doesn't work like that.

#54 Posted by Heirren (2179 posts) -

@Pedro:

Well im asking because for example real time light reflection by itself could have a profound effect.

Unless im missing something and what im thinking is already possible amd just not happening.

#55 Posted by BaelNergal (568 posts) -

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

Well im asking because for example real time light reflection by itself could have a profound effect.

Unless im missing something and what im thinking is already possible amd just not happening.

Possible? Yes. Expensive beyond all measure? Yes. Capable of being run on anything except a literal supercomputer? No.

Avatar image for burntbyhellfire
#56 Edited by burntbyhellfire (451 posts) -

most of game development is faking effects.. current generation shaders do a pretty good job at faking realistic lighting without ray tracing which just adds a tad more on top of what exists at a significant cost to framerate... im the type of person who skips out on a 1440p monitor because i like the higher frame rates you get with a 1080p.. and i'd imagine if people like myself, and many professional gamers are sticking with a lower resolution for smoother, higher framerate gaming, that ray tracing will get similar sentiments

i wont go for ray tracing if it means i have to play at 60-75 fps for it

#57 Posted by Pedro (35379 posts) -

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

What profound effect would it have?

#58 Posted by Heirren (2179 posts) -

@Pedro:

Wow you really cant think of a single thing? You must be trolling me.

#59 Posted by warmblur (2753 posts) -

I care about ray tracing but like I've said in the past the biggest change I want to see next gen is the faces not to look like plastic hopefully it looks something like this.

Loading Video...

#60 Posted by Heirren (2179 posts) -

@warmblur:

Sub surface scattering.

#61 Posted by I_P_Daily (12269 posts) -

@subspecies said:

In terms of gaming it's hard to think of something I care about less than ray-tracing. Except maybe boring rehashed racing games.

@uninspiredcup said:

Racing games are definitely boring.

This coming from 2 people who one loves EVERYTHING psvr, and the other who's favourite fighting game is Street Fighter 598 lol. You two play the most boring games out there, so you really shouldn't talk.

But thanks for reminding me that there is worse garbage out there other than ray tracing.

#62 Edited by DaVillain- (37412 posts) -

^Looks like someone took it too personal all because someone said racing games sucks lol. Those 2 got you good.

#63 Posted by I_P_Daily (12269 posts) -

@davillain-: You know I love the banter dav, and since you have learnt that taking me on makes you look foolish I need some fresh food, now shoo run along little puppy :)

#64 Posted by DaVillain- (37412 posts) -

@i_p_daily: Don't get carried away. I was just surprise both Cup & Reduc trying to be sneaky mentioning racing genre sucks but seeing you here took me by surprise.

#65 Posted by Pedro (35379 posts) -

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

Wow you really cant think of a single thing? You must be trolling me.

Actually I am not. You said it would be profound. I simply asking for a use case in which it would be.

#66 Edited by I_P_Daily (12269 posts) -

@davillain- said:

@i_p_daily: Don't get carried away. I was just surprise both Cup & Reduc trying to be sneaky mentioning racing genre sucks but seeing you here took me by surprise.

I've been here since 2015 I know how this place works, and you know I love the banter, but reduc won't reply as she's "trying" turn over a new leaf but its just that VR has fried her brain, and cup loves fighting games but has been punched around the head some many times that the concussions are starting to have an effect :P

PS...why are you surprised to see me here???

#67 Posted by NoodleFighter (10441 posts) -

@burntbyhellfire: @with_teeth26: I keep seeing people say that you can fake effects that look almost as good but I have yet to find any title that can even come close to what the RTX titles are doing.

#68 Edited by WitIsWisdom (5294 posts) -

I didn't vote because there was no negative 17 option. *edit* upon closer inspection I voted for "other options" however that makes it look as though I care more than I do.. so I want a recount..

Honestly though, I don't know much about it.. I was listening to something the other day though and it said something about eliminating pre-baked lighting and allowing lights to work properly on and off and to be shot out. If THAT was because of this, then I give it about a 4, but I'm sure its not. For some reason back on the PS2 lights could be shot out, doors opened and closed, etc. but for the most part those things seem to be all but impossible these days.

#69 Posted by ButDuuude (1383 posts) -

I don’t want my next gen console without it.

#70 Posted by Heirren (2179 posts) -

@Pedro:

Anything man. Simple sht too like walking around at night with a shiny sword in a stealth game. Now the player would have to take visual cues into account along with the audio. General things like light reflecting through corridors past the players vision, in game.

Many possibilities. Plus i make these with my eyes half closed.

#71 Edited by ronvalencia (28192 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

Loading Video...

Microsoft declared "hardware acclerated raytracing" with Xbox Scalett.

"Hardware acclerated raytracing" fits well with rential hardware acclerated raytracing render farm Azure cloud business plans.

#72 Edited by ronvalencia (28192 posts) -

@NoodleFighter said:

Here is an indie game made by one person that also uses ray tracing.

Loading Video...

"Bright Memory" game is powered by Unreal Engine 4 DXR (RTX hardware).

#73 Posted by getyeryayasout (12382 posts) -

Who's Ray Tracy?

#74 Posted by Pedro (35379 posts) -

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

Anything man. Simple sht too like walking around at night with a shiny sword in a stealth game. Now the player would have to take visual cues into account along with the audio. General things like light reflecting through corridors past the players vision, in game.

I am sorry, but you are going to be disappointed.

#75 Edited by Random_Matt (4287 posts) -

If I did not keep up to date with what is going on in the tech world I would not even know what it is. Hmm, sounds like the gamers in the masses, strange I know.

#76 Posted by Heirren (2179 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@heirren said:

@Pedro:

I am sorry, but you are going to be disappointed.

No, i wont, because i dont care.

The potential is there, thats what im saying.

#77 Edited by FinalFighters (3200 posts) -

Well HDR had been a real "game changer" for me in both movies and games, more so then 4k resolution. So if Ray tracing is anything like that then im going with Very high (5).

#78 Posted by ocinom (1009 posts) -

1/2, cause that's what Raytracing does to your fps. High FPS>>>>>>reflections you won't notice

#79 Posted by osan0 (15452 posts) -

about a 3.

It's nice to see. It's good that nvidia have put it in the spot light and are getting other companies to shift on it. It will be interesting to see other implementations of it from AMD and intel.

But its not a must have thing for me right now. I have no interest in actually getting an RT capable graphics card from anyone (from an RT standpoint even the mighty 2080Ti is crap: first gen implementations and all that). It doesnt make me get interested in games like battlefield which use it.

Like all tech: it's just another tool in the toolbox. It gives devs more capacity to deliver the vision they want to deliver.

#80 Posted by bussinrounds (3159 posts) -

I have no clue to what it even is.

That mean I'm in the negatives ?

#81 Posted by Heirren (2179 posts) -

@bussinrounds:

Think of it like a physics engine for light.

#82 Edited by xantufrog (11608 posts) -

@bussinrounds: in real life, light beams bend and bounce around the environment. When you shine a light at a tree, the light hitting it actually scatters adding light and color to other parts of the environment. Because of this, the illumination AND color of every surface in the entire scene is the result of countless light beams bouncing and blending around surfaces.

Real time ray tracing simulates this. So the lighting and color have the potential to be more realistic - especially when moving and impermanent light sources are involved (e.g., flashlights, explosions, reflections from animated water, reflections from moving metallic objects, car headlights, a moving sun being dynamically occluded by moving clouds and moving leaves, etc). Because pre-baked lighting won't accurately modify and reblend lighting and color from these dynamic features.

#83 Posted by Jacanuk (18711 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Where is -5 "not at all since I am not a potato" :D

#84 Posted by bussinrounds (3159 posts) -

Oh cool. Sounds like alot of effort for something that's not gonna really make me enjoy a game any more than I would have anyway though.

#85 Edited by WhatAFailure (406 posts) -

Every time I see videos of ray-tracing posted, I have to squint hard just to spot the differences many times.

Yeah, in some areas the changes are obvious, but a majority of the time you're like "That's it? This is being hyped as the next level of gaming?" Perhaps, as devs become more familiar with it, we'll get more dramatic examples (would love to see this in Naughty Dog's hands next gen). But right now it's not really wowing me.

#86 Posted by xantufrog (11608 posts) -

@bussinrounds: yeah unless the AI is programmed to respond to the dynamic lighting or something then it's pretty much eye candy

#87 Posted by DarthBuzzard (187 posts) -

Current raytracing solutions? Probably a 3.

A full raytracing or pathtracing pipeline? 5.

#88 Posted by lundy86_4 (53598 posts) -

In time, it's gonna be amazing. As-is, meh. I won't even utilize it on my RTX2080.

#89 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1307 posts) -

I literally have work that involves Ray Tracing lol, so I care about it very much.

#90 Posted by Phreek300 (656 posts) -

While I do not own a RTX card I have seen it in person at Microcenter on a 2080ti. My thought is meh....It's cool I guess. But really not worth the performance hit at this time. I see it like I see VR. It is a generation too early. Not saying it doesn't add to the game, just not enough to pay 1,200.00 for the privilege of having it.

#91 Posted by Jag85 (13595 posts) -

Graphics - 4/5

Gameplay - 2/5

#92 Posted by Zero_epyon (13320 posts) -

Around a 3. It looks really cool, but I don't like the performance hit. When hardware improves, then I'll be more interested.

#93 Posted by lundy86_4 (53598 posts) -

Once performance hits acceptable levels, it's gonna be great. I've been playing Metro Exodus and really enjoying the game, but tried RTX and it tanked my fps by 20-30 at 4K. Definitely not acceptable ATM.

#94 Posted by MirkoS77 (14341 posts) -

I don’t even know what it is.

So 0?

#95 Posted by NoodleFighter (10441 posts) -

Another indie game gets ray tracing support

Loading Video...

#96 Posted by appariti0n (2796 posts) -

I care, I do think it's a major necessary technology to further push realistic visuals in games.

Not a chance in hell I'm paying the price Nvidia is asking right now though.

#97 Edited by Gatygun (1557 posts) -

All these reflections look fake as hell and really jarring. that's not how any floor would look like sorry.

This is how a floor with real lightning looks like.

These reflections they do almost look like they walk over a water area. It's extremely bad looking.

The performance hit is also bad of raytracing the cards are simple not up for the task and won't be for another generation atleast.

U don't need raytracing to create good lightning ac origin for example has tons of good lightning and natural lightning without any need for raytracing. A game that pushes good lightning will barely make a difference with raytracing that its noticable.

Those tech demo's and demo's in general are absolutely ridiculous looking.

( I specially like these comparison video's that don't even push on RT off AF upwards which makes everything blurry just to make RTX look better its a joke )

Left side is like he walks on a mirror / water surface. It looks extremely unreal and that's what every raytracing demo does. The right side also got a downgrade on visual department by not even bothered to push AF forwards as example which makes everything a blurry mess. So yea this whole comparison is laughable and exactly showcases you why raytracing simple isn't anything special at this point in time.

This is for example without raytracing, add raytracing towards the mix and everything would be a mirror. Completely unrealistic looking.

#98 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6477 posts) -

Using the worst example of Ray Tracing from a visual perspective?... Reflection is a small part of ray tracing the real impact from ray tracing is global illumination.

In terms of visuals Ray Tracing is the it thing and yes when it comes to thinking about future projects using ray tracing I am very excited, imagine a Racing game with Ray Tracing or a Red Dead Redemption 3 in 4-5 years time.

I care because unlike some people here I'm not a inbred moron who thinks game have peaked.

#99 Posted by SaltSlasher (1227 posts) -

I rather tech push to the future, rather than find ways to make same old always work.

Bleeding edge sucks, but worth the investment, so in a few years we have it on the cheap.

#100 Edited by NoodleFighter (10441 posts) -
@Gatygun said:

All these reflections look fake as hell and really jarring. that's not how any floor would look like sorry.

This is how a floor with real lightning looks like.

These reflections they do almost look like they walk over a water area. It's extremely bad looking.

The performance hit is also bad of raytracing the cards are simple not up for the task and won't be for another generation atleast.

U don't need raytracing to create good lightning ac origin for example has tons of good lightning and natural lightning without any need for raytracing. A game that pushes good lightning will barely make a difference with raytracing that its noticable.

Those tech demo's and demo's in general are absolutely ridiculous looking.

( I specially like these comparison video's that don't even push on RT off AF upwards which makes everything blurry just to make RTX look better its a joke )

Left side is like he walks on a mirror / water surface. It looks extremely unreal and that's what every raytracing demo does. The right side also got a downgrade on visual department by not even bothered to push AF forwards as example which makes everything a blurry mess. So yea this whole comparison is laughable and exactly showcases you why raytracing simple isn't anything special at this point in time.

This is for example without raytracing, add raytracing towards the mix and everything would be a mirror. Completely unrealistic looking.

That has more to do with developer implementation than ray tracing itself. You picked a comparison video of a game that doesn't even use ray tracing natively and was implemented by a modder. Bassman even points out the flaws in the implementation of it such as not accurately tracing all the elements in the environment and even the HUD being reflected.

Battlefield V actually does a pretty good job at utilizing ray traced reflections. They've designed how things reflect based on materials so not everything is just a straight up mirror and instead reflects like to their real life counterparts. For example how they handle reflections on marble floors is very similar to how marble floors reflect in real life. There are even subtle ray traced reflections you likely wouldn't notice as much such as plants reflecting sunlight or wet bricks reflecting the color all around them.

With a proper implementation of ray traced reflections it can actually improve the lighting in that Assassin's Creed screenshot since it would reflect the light peering in more properly based on its material. Even better if they used ray traced lighting. Metro Exodus shows how much of a leap ray traced global illumination can make over standard global illumination.

Loading Video...

I have yet to see non ray traced games have lighting of this level

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Using the worst example of Ray Tracing from a visual perspective?... Reflection is a small part of ray tracing the real impact from ray tracing is global illumination.

In terms of visuals Ray Tracing is the it thing and yes when it comes to thinking about future projects using ray tracing I am very excited, imagine a Racing game with Ray Tracing or a Red Dead Redemption 3 in 4-5 years time.

I care because unlike some people here I'm not a inbred moron who thinks game have peaked.

I'm pretty sure ray traced shadows is the worst example it's differences aren't as noticeable as reflections and global illumination and I believe it really only works well if you have ray traced lighting/global illumination as well. This video does a pretty good job at showing how well Battlefield V uses ray traced reflections.

Loading Video...

I'm remembering how at the end of last gen people we're saying video game graphics weren't going to get much better than Crysis and PS3 exclusives and we already hit the limit but here we are with games still showing tons of room to grow and easily night and day different from then last gen game graphics kings. They used the old polygon comparison pic even though there is more to graphics than polygons and even then high polygon counts are needed for more complex structures than just a person. Even their polygon comparison as proof of diminishing returns was proven wrong.