On a scale of 1-5 how much do you care about ray-tracing?

  • 101 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for uninspiredcup
Posted by uninspiredcup (34354 posts) 15 days, 2 hours ago

Poll: On a scale of 1-5 how much do you care about ray-tracing? (104 votes)

5 (very High) 22%
Other options 28%
1 (very low) 50%

I see this pop up when talking about next gen, but I don't think I've ever cared about anything less.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#1 Posted by Ant_17 (12729 posts) -

1. It's pretty but it will loose the charm, much like shadows lost their charm.

Avatar image for subspecies
#2 Posted by Subspecies (674 posts) -

In terms of gaming it's hard to think of something I care about less than ray-tracing. Except maybe boring rehashed racing games.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (34354 posts) -

Racing games are definitely boring.

Avatar image for Pedro
#4 Posted by Pedro (35448 posts) -

Its great for what I do. Not sure how it benefits gamers.

Avatar image for heirren
#5 Posted by Heirren (2223 posts) -

Care is not a word i would use but ray tracing WILL drastically improve the dimension of the image.

Wait till its used on next gen assets.

The next step is sub surface scattering. Maybe well see that next gen or a faked version of it.

Avatar image for Pedro
#6 Posted by Pedro (35448 posts) -
@heirren said:

Care is not a word i would use but ray tracing WILL drastically improve the dimension of the image.

Wait till its used on next gen assets.

The next step is sub surface scattering. Maybe well see that next gen or a faked version of it.

You are really going to be disappointed.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#7 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31446 posts) -

I do believe ray tracing is the next big thing because good lighting is everything when it comes to graphics.

I do not care for ray tracing much myself as my priorities in graphics at the moment lay in bigger resolution and higher framerates.

I feel Nvidia can **** right off with the prices they are asking for RTX hardware.

Avatar image for heirren
#8 Posted by Heirren (2223 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@heirren said:

Care is not a word i would use but ray tracing WILL drastically improve the dimension of the image.

Wait till its used on next gen assets.

The next step is sub surface scattering. Maybe well see that next gen or a faked version of it.

You are really going to be disappointed.

I have a Switch. I dont get disappointed by game graphics.

I dont see myself buying either next gen console but the tech is always interesting.

Lighting is key. It adds a lot.

Avatar image for topgunmv
#9 Posted by topgunmv (10771 posts) -

I've heard the main benefit of ray tracing was that it made things easier on developers, and that just about everything it accomplishes visually can be faked with other methods with a much smaller performance hit, the caveat being it takes developers a lot more time.

Avatar image for Steppy_76
#10 Posted by Steppy_76 (2726 posts) -

I care about full ray tracing, but only when the hardware is powerful enough to not matter.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#11 Posted by with_teeth26 (9592 posts) -

From my limited understanding, it will have the biggest benefits to smaller dev teams who can't go over every level with a fine-toothed comb to create accurate/believable lighting scenarios.

right now its only really being used by big devs with a lot of resources who can already make games look amazing so the benefits aren't as noticeable.

however when it becomes easier to uses and hardware can support it better, it should allow smaller devs to create amazing looking games (at least lighting wise) with less effort

i'd put my current interest at a 3/5. has a lot of potential but its not there yet

Avatar image for xantufrog
#12 Posted by xantufrog (11611 posts) -

I care - ish. If it never happened, I'd be fine. But it's a logical next step and one of the untapped directions for pushing the envelope on increasingly incremental graphical fidelity changes in games

Avatar image for michaelmikado
#13 Posted by michaelmikado (383 posts) -

Its not important until cloud based path-tracing becomes a reality which is at least 5-10 years away.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#14 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31446 posts) -
@with_teeth26 said:

From my limited understanding, it will have the biggest benefits to smaller dev teams who can't go over every level with a fine-toothed comb to create accurate/believable lighting scenarios.

right now its only really being used by big devs with a lot of resources who can already make games look amazing so the benefits aren't as noticeable.

however when it becomes easier to uses and hardware can support it better, it should allow smaller devs to create amazing looking games (at least lighting wise) with less effort

i'd put my current interest at a 3/5. has a lot of potential but its not there yet

I do have to wonder how much effort it takes to implement ray tracing though, maybe it's just an engine limitation.

Because right now a lot of games are getting backwards compatible raytracing support with users just simply applying a new shader and done.

This is done by one person most of the time. results aren't flawless, but still really nice to look at:

And again Ray Tracing, and lighting in general, makes a huge difference.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#15 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31446 posts) -
@heirren said:

I have a Switch. I dont get disappointed by game graphics.

I dont see myself buying either next gen console but the tech is always interesting.

Lighting is key. It adds a lot.

When it comes to graphics what I'd like to see more of is tesselation. To add depth to flat surfaces:

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#16 Posted by jg4xchamp (61724 posts) -

1. An ugly game while not pretty to look at can still be an all time classic if the gameplay is lit. Plenty of pretty games out there that are absolute trash.

And rarely do we get games that look absurdly good but have excellent: read excellent, not good, not fine, not mediocre, but excellent gameplay.

Avatar image for heirren
#17 Posted by Heirren (2223 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@heirren said:

I have a Switch. I dont get disappointed by game graphics.

I dont see myself buying either next gen console but the tech is always interesting.

Lighting is key. It adds a lot.

When it comes to graphics what I'd like to see more of is tesselation. To add depth to flat surfaces:

Thats an old technique, and i believe ray tracing might contradict it as from my understanding it is casting shadows from actual in game objects.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#18 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3349 posts) -

I'm a 2 and I own a RTX 2080Ti. Ray tracing has been pretty meh so far.

Avatar image for Litchie
#19 Posted by Litchie (24134 posts) -

I don't know.. 2? Will be a while until I own a PC good enough to care about it.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#20 Posted by with_teeth26 (9592 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:
@with_teeth26 said:

From my limited understanding, it will have the biggest benefits to smaller dev teams who can't go over every level with a fine-toothed comb to create accurate/believable lighting scenarios.

right now its only really being used by big devs with a lot of resources who can already make games look amazing so the benefits aren't as noticeable.

however when it becomes easier to uses and hardware can support it better, it should allow smaller devs to create amazing looking games (at least lighting wise) with less effort

i'd put my current interest at a 3/5. has a lot of potential but its not there yet

I do have to wonder how much effort it takes to implement ray tracing though, maybe it's just an engine limitation.

Because right now a lot of games are getting backwards compatible raytracing support with users just simply applying a new shader and done.

This is done by one person most of the time. results aren't flawless, but still really nice to look at:

And again Ray Tracing, and lighting in general, makes a huge difference.

Loading Video...

thats great! that means the benefit is already there for devs if its that easy to enable, with the limitation just being more on the hardware side.

hopefully the next gen of cards can handle it better.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#21 Posted by PC_Rocks (2556 posts) -

5 because while it's not there yet but you can actually create whole gameplay scenarios/encounters around it. Survival horror games can benefit greatly from it.

Avatar image for BassMan
#22 Edited by BassMan (10559 posts) -

With the current tech.... 2/5. The RT cores are a major bottleneck. Most games are only applying RT for a single function and the performance is still not good. When the tech is fully capable... 5/5.

@R4gn4r0k: That Force Unleashed 2 video is funny. I love how the HUD is being reflected. LOL, that is what happens when a hack based off screen space information is implemented. It is not accurately tracing how the rays are interacting with all the elements of the scene. It can still look good at times, but I think they went a little overkill on that implementation. Almost all the floors look like they have some crazy layer of clear coat and polish. hehe

Avatar image for davillain-
#23 Posted by DaVillain- (37519 posts) -

For me right now, it's 5/5.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#24 Posted by BoxRekt (2004 posts) -

Until they can do it without massive performance cost 1.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#25 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31446 posts) -

@heirren: Tesselation of is still fairly recent in games. With recent examples like Rise and Shadow of the tomb raider. Where it was used for deformation of snow and mud.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#26 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19156 posts) -

Meh... I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person.

Avatar image for bgres077
#27 Posted by bgres077 (12679 posts) -

I'm not even sure what ray tracing is at the moment. Need to see some games with it before I can say.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#28 Posted by pyro1245 (5152 posts) -

I think the way it looks is not even the biggest deal about ray tracing.

Sure it looks awesome, but it can apply to more than lighting and it gives developers an ease-of-use benefit.

5 - keep pushing the new techs.

Avatar image for heirren
#29 Edited by Heirren (2223 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k:

Ray tracing i think is a visual effect that can potentially affect gameplay in that developers can more easily apply the way ai reacts to lighting conditions........buuuuuuuut maybe im full of sht here.

Tesselation i thought was done last gen on consoles, as well as the pc.

Avatar image for Pedro
#30 Posted by Pedro (35448 posts) -

@heirren: All baked lighting in games are ray traced. This is why folks would be disappointed. The only difference now is that it's real time.

Avatar image for heirren
#31 Posted by Heirren (2223 posts) -

@Pedro:

Which makes things different.

Avatar image for Pedro
#32 Posted by Pedro (35448 posts) -

@heirren: Not really. At the moment the sample count is too low to be better than a high quality bake. I am not sure how they are going to implement it in a meaningful way to gamers. Most of its "advantages" would be invisible to the average and seasoned gamer.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#33 Posted by xantufrog (11611 posts) -

@Pedro: the biggest difference that I've seen in the demos is for particle effects/explosions/fire. RT ray tracing allows this non-baked moving light source to flood the screen in a much more dynamic and natural way. IMO it's quite noticeable in those instances

Avatar image for heirren
#34 Posted by Heirren (2223 posts) -

@Pedro:

No, theres definitely a difference and real time, id imagine, would do wonders on how ai would react to environments, next gen.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#35 Posted by xantufrog (11611 posts) -

@heirren: I'm picturing a proper sequel to Thief - where lighting and sound was so important to the stealth and interactions with AI. Real time ray tracing could add a whole other level to this, where illumination from the player (and the AI - e.g., what their torches illuminate and in different settings - e.g., near a reflective vs light absorbent surface [water/steel vs cloth tapestries]) could elevate the immersion of the simulation to a new level

Avatar image for speeny
#36 Posted by Speeny (1880 posts) -

1. I don't care. :P

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
#37 Posted by NoodleFighter (10454 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@with_teeth26 said:

From my limited understanding, it will have the biggest benefits to smaller dev teams who can't go over every level with a fine-toothed comb to create accurate/believable lighting scenarios.

right now its only really being used by big devs with a lot of resources who can already make games look amazing so the benefits aren't as noticeable.

however when it becomes easier to uses and hardware can support it better, it should allow smaller devs to create amazing looking games (at least lighting wise) with less effort

i'd put my current interest at a 3/5. has a lot of potential but its not there yet

I do have to wonder how much effort it takes to implement ray tracing though, maybe it's just an engine limitation.

Because right now a lot of games are getting backwards compatible raytracing support with users just simply applying a new shader and done.

This is done by one person most of the time. results aren't flawless, but still really nice to look at:

And again Ray Tracing, and lighting in general, makes a huge difference.

Here is an indie game made by one person that also uses ray tracing.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for Pedro
#38 Posted by Pedro (35448 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@Pedro: the biggest difference that I've seen in the demos is for particle effects/explosions/fire. RT ray tracing allows this non-baked moving light source to flood the screen in a much more dynamic and natural way. IMO it's quite noticeable in those instances

That is true but that's not a going to make much of a difference to player experience. Are these demos in game or are they standalone?

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

No, theres definitely a difference and real time, id imagine, would do wonders on how ai would react to environments, next gen.

Ray tracing has nothing to do with AI. Its simply mimicking the behavior of light.

Avatar image for Pedro
#39 Posted by Pedro (35448 posts) -

@NoodleFighter said:

Here is an indie game made by one person that also uses ray tracing.

Loading Video...

These "made by one person" claims are mostly false because they acquire assets from third parties.

Avatar image for heirren
#40 Posted by Heirren (2223 posts) -

@Pedro:

In real time, which would allow for more dynamic ai

Avatar image for baelnergal
#41 Posted by BaelNergal (570 posts) -

If the 1-5 were in degrees Celsius, how much I care would be 0 Kelvin.

This is "teh teknologee revolushion" #284. It'll have as big of an impact as all of the others: Not very much beneficial, maybe quite a bit harmful.

Avatar image for Pedro
#42 Posted by Pedro (35448 posts) -

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

In real time, which would allow for more dynamic ai

No. It doesn't. Where are you getting this information? Rays for AI is already cast without hardware acceleration. AI is not made better because of rays because rays don't have logic.

Avatar image for heirren
#43 Posted by Heirren (2223 posts) -

Rays for ai?

Avatar image for Pedro
#44 Posted by Pedro (35448 posts) -

@heirren said:

Rays for ai?

I conclude that you don't know how these things work. :)

Avatar image for heirren
#45 Posted by Heirren (2223 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@heirren said:

Rays for ai?

I conclude that you don't know how these things work. :)

It was an honest question, because if all the lighting was real time ray tracing it would make a difference, potentially.

Avatar image for Pedro
#46 Edited by Pedro (35448 posts) -

@heirren said:

It was an honest question, because if all the lighting was real time ray tracing it would make a difference, potentially.

Lighting in games for possibly the past 2 decades relied on baked lighting to create good lighting. This bakes lighting was generated by ray tracing. Because its baked, the number of rays can be significantly higher than the real time application. This is why the current solution relies on denoising to improve the quality of low rays. The advantage of realtime is that developers don't have to bake lighting but it comes at the cost of quality and performance.

Avatar image for npiet1
#47 Posted by npiet1 (2475 posts) -

Isn't ray tracing just more realistic light?

If so, I care somewhat, light travel is pretty important for a realistic image, but without other things. The graphics won't improve that much. From OP's video there's a clear image difference in light. Enough to make me want it.

Avatar image for heirren
#48 Posted by Heirren (2223 posts) -

@Pedro:

So its like a real time light simulation. More dynamic. More potential reactions, on the fly, from ai. No?

Avatar image for Pedro
#49 Posted by Pedro (35448 posts) -

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

So its like a real time light simulation. More dynamic. More potential reactions, on the fly, from ai. No?

Nope.

Avatar image for heirren
#50 Posted by Heirren (2223 posts) -

@Pedro:

How so?