Ok with less AAA games and more indies ?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

http://kotaku.com/missing-ps4-features-still-coming-sony-says-1592210608

"We've been saying that the number of AAAs might be getting smaller because the cost of development for AAAs is getting higher," he said. "But there are so many indie games and great games coming out almost every week or every other week. We're seeing it on PS4. I hope you're seeing it as well."

It seemed like it so far but this basically confirms that Sony is moving away from Bigger titles and want to move as many indies as they can. It seems like a solid business plan since being more powerful they will get the multi platform crowd and having more games overall is always a good thing. My question is after the ps3 was full of s many AAA titles are Sony fans happy with less AAA and more indies?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

There seems to be plenty of AAA titles lining up, including a few of my favorite series; Uncharted and Tomb Raider for example.

If the titles stop coming altogether though, I'll be pissed. If PS4 ends up like PSV, it will be the last PlayStation I buy.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I don't care too much particularly, because they still come in large numbers. I'm way too behind on the PS3 as it is.

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheRealBigRich

Tomb raider is multi plat though. Im talking about games you cant get any where else pc or Xbox one

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

I am not a Sony fan, but I am ok with more indies than AAAs. It's just economics. One takes a lot of money to develop, the other doesn't (...typically). It's not a knock on quality or graphical fidelity. A four man team made The Forest, and it looks better than most AAA games. Same with Legend of Grimrock. I was able to beat Diablo 3's main campaign three times in the same time span that it took me to complete Torchlight 2's main campaign once. Not to mention, back in the day games like Ikaruga were considered AAA console games, whereas now Ikaruga is an indie title only obtainable on XBLA and Steam.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Greatness waits

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

Greatness waits

Even worse for Xbone :( Been since Launch since we've seen a retail exclusive, unless you count Kinect(lol) Rivals.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Yeah sure but it sort of invalidates the need for a new generation of consoles (in most cases)

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

No. AAA games is where its all. Whats the point of next gen, when all it gets are smaller and less polished games? Without many AAA exclusives, why would I go with Sony rather than Xbone?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

no need to even ask them, sony fans love it! it's a perfect plan for the ps4! thank you lord kaz!

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheRealBigRich

I really look at all the games that are on PC now that didn't take long to make but there is so many of them that pc can say there are millions of games but how many are really high production

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Minishdriveby: seriously, why the hell did they make a $400 system and overstate "next gen", just to say "oh well there a bunch of indie games"!Indie games don't make the experiences we bought the system for.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@TheRealBigRich: I like multiplat titles too so as long as there are a few favorites like Naughty Dog games and the lineup already shown, I'm fine with fewer AAA exclusives. I don't have a hell of a lot of time to play these days anyway.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Whelp PS4 owners, I will see you all on Final Fantasy XIV. thank god it at least has this MMO that will pass the time till the next AAA.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#15 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@TheRealBigRich: i think they want to make unique titles, they will still make big games. But i think they will try to make more unique games like Journey

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

There are tons of third party AAA games coming. I been saying the lack of AAAE (production) on both consoles make it incredibly hard for a last gen gamer or a current gen PC gamer to buy a Xboxone or PS4.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Multiple threads on this topic. I say we keep it in this thread, if I had a vote.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Indie Games>>>>>AAA games

So im alright with this.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

@farrell2k: lmao wiiu. PS4/X1 will always have more AAA games than wiiu because of ninty's shit 3rd party support.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@farrell2k said:

If you care about the number of AAA games a platform will get you should buy a PC or a WiiU. Everyone else will be playing second fiddle to these platforms when it comes to great games.

he's talking about AAA budget games (i.e. big budgets) not AAA scores

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@TheRealBigRich said:

Tomb raider is multi plat though. Im talking about games you cant get any where else pc or Xbox one

Naughty Dog already trumps 1 hastily assembled team that couldn't restore Halo to its former glory and it probably also tops whatever output Black Tusk can make since Gears was constantly getting worse even with the brilliant devs who originally created it.

SSM, San Diego, MM, Suckerpunch, etc...

you really think even half of these devs are going to stop? You try to play the exclusives argument and champion xbox, you're gonna lose, especially since the only hyped to death as a must have game it had so far was multiplat day 1 and now even Dead Rising 3 is going multiplat.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Last time I checked, AAA had to do with review scores and not the price it cost to make the game.

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheRealBigRich

We all know that PC is the best the problem is a lot of people still console game just want to see how do sony fans feel about getting less AAA games than previous years

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22617 Posts

Kudos to Sony for nurturing indies the way the have been... kudos and continue!

Indies are far and away the most exciting thing in gaming right now and I see that creative gap widening over time. I chose ps4 first this gen partially based on indie devs wanting to publish with sony.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

The cows are now adopting the indies as a great genre... Jesus do they change opinions fast. When indies were largely exclusive to the PC they were all calling it trash and it plagues PC and that's all PC has. Now that's its also the same on their console, they cherish it and view it as a positive thing.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

I think the direction Sony's going, if they choose to go towards more indies, and less AAA, is stupid. Literally the only valid reason for having a console is to play AAA exclusives. Who buys a console to play indie games or multiplats only? PC does that better anyways.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@TheRealBigRich:

Plenty are high production. Look at any Sega or blizz game. Look at fortnight...elite...star citizen...

In fact PC has the most vs any one console any gen.

PC has the most high scoring games as well...Indy or otherwise

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheRealBigRich

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Last time I checked, AAA had to do with review scores and not the price it cost to make the game.

really I never knew that I always thought it had to do with production value. Isnt Minecraft like the biggest selling game and that's a indie.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

He means in general, not just for PlayStation.... I'm good with more AAA and more indies.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

IndieStation 4 confirmed.

So PS4 is trying to be basically a PC but it fails of course for being closed and cuz there's already the mighty PC with the actually superior multiplats, tons of indies and glorious PC exclusives.

PS Vita is the living example of what the PS4 will end up being.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AmazonTreeBoa

@TheRealBigRich said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Isnt Minecraft like the biggest selling game and that's a indie.

Yes.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

It's got nothing to do with what Sony (or MS) want, it comes down to what games publishers make.

Personally I think the whole thing is a bit overblown in the short term and once all publishers are focusing full time on gen 8 hardware you'll never notice a difference.

Long term the idea of 800 people working 3-5 years on one game and blowing 100 million in ads isn't very sustainable, and at best stagnates the industry. It's here where I hope the success of smaller indie devs shows larger publishers some better ways forward.

y7jzdgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By y7jzdgy
Member since 2014 • 38 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Indies are far and away the most exciting thing in gaming right now and I see that creative gap widening over time. I chose ps4 first this gen partially based on indie devs wanting to publish with sony.

What a joke! So where were you last gen when MS were pushing all the indie love with XNA? Yeah hypocrisy. Sorry, but I don't share your view of indies being "far and away the most exciting thing in gaming right now" I think that it's just a bunch of senseless fanboy hullabaloo over nothing just because it's now Sony that are doing it. I don't know any sensible gamer who would spend hundreds of dollars on a console to play mostly indie games. Pure garbage.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

AAA games != AAA budgets

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

That's the way the industry's heading. Better get used to it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#39  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38030 Posts

Indies are great. But I haven't seen many indies that I couldn't have played on 360 or PS3. New hardware is bought for the new visuals, number of enemies, possibilities with AI that devs can now do imo. I understand from a business standpoint why Sony is saying this, but I still think its a slight negative for these new gen consoles. But 3rd party are usually the bulk of my library every gen so..........

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#40  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49566 Posts

When multipats end up dominating everyone's libraries, why does it matter?

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I'm okay with less AAA production as long as the releases are more spread out and the games are of higher quality. My biggest fear is that AAA production is stagnating because publishers' fears determine games' creative direction.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#43 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Good thing i love indie games, but i see alot AAA games in the horizon too.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Could care less, I want games, AAA or not, I want good games, glad i'm not picky, gives me plenty of options :)

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@y7jzdgy said:

@TheEroica said:

What a joke! So where were you last gen when MS were pushing all the indie love with XNA? Yeah hypocrisy. Sorry, but I don't share your view of indies being "far and away the most exciting thing in gaming right now" I think that it's just a bunch of senseless fanboy hullabaloo over nothing just because it's now Sony that are doing it. I don't know any sensible gamer who would spend hundreds of dollars on a console to play mostly indie games. Pure garbage.

eroica is an xbox shill, so to see him writing something like this is surprising to say the least. lol

And people yoshida is talking about aaa games in general not just sony 1st party's... Bigger gaps between aaa game releases because of cost. Gaps like the one we are having right now with a bunch of aaa games pushed back to 2015.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@TheRealBigRich said:

what difference does it make if its multiplat or not, an AAA game is still an AAA game.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@TheRealBigRich said:

Non PC or xbone games on PS4

as of 2014 and E3 announced.

Infamous SS

Little Big Planet 3

MLB: The Show

Drive Club

The Last Of Us remastered

Guilty Gear Xrd Sign

Helldrivers

Samurai Warriors 4

The Witness

The Order 1866

Bloodborne

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Let it Die

It's crious you say no PC games since lemming have been hanging on to nothing but a multiplatform cross PC game this entire year. But It doesn't really matter so why don't you show us xbone games you can't get anywhere else on Playstation or PC to compare?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

No I'm not okay. I buy new hardware to play games that take advantage of that hardware. Indie game are fine and dandy to play here and there but I still have yet to find one that grabs me for hours and hours on end like AAA games do. Indie games just dont fill my gaming needs. If Sony stops developing great quantities of AAA, it'll probably be their last console I buy. To play indie games I have the PC

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheRealBigRich

The reason I brought up whether its Multiplat or not is cause to me even though games look and play better on ps4 you don't usually choose a console because of the the multiplats. You usually pick whichever console that has the better first party games at least that's what I did. I never said Sony doesn't have first party AAA games but I just wanted the reaction from people that see that there wont be as many 1st party AAA games as usual

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@geniobastardo said:

So what's the difference between PC and consoles.....

NONE

Both are getting awesome games now, YEAH!

Sorry, but there is a HUGE difference and it amuses me that you believe there isn't. PC doesn't just play games. It does so so so much more. I won't even bother getting into the obvious difference in graphics and physics. But yeah, lets go with your story of "NONE".