Ok guys Assassin Creed Odyssey is worse than Origins WTF

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1844 Posts

And this is coming from a big fan of Assassin Creed. The game is worse than Origins. Yeah I said that.

I liked Origins though, despite it was too big for its own good. What ruins Oddissey for me are auto generated generic side quests, grind and difficulty. But let's go over Odyssey step by step.

Here's are my reasons why Odyssey is worse than Origins.

1. Side quests are far less detailed than Origins. I don't know what the press had been mumbling about. Side quests has not got improved, they got worse. Origins almost didn't have auto generated side quests, but it still had like 300 quests. And you know what, all of them were quite detailed and provided real reasons to help people. There are some really memorable quests from Origins. They were simple but memorable. Like for example 3 beggars and a ring. Those side quests if taken with moderation provided more lore and background history than main story itself. This is perhaps was the reason Origins main story was less memorable. Origins' side quests were really detailed, and some of them really well done. Odyssey instead has much less detailed side quests, actually almost all of them are just generic crap.

2. Controls. Controls got worse. Especially archery. Now to shoot a fucking arrow I need to press like 3 fucking different keys. To shot one fucking arrow. Instead of switching between arrow type, some genius had an idea that it would be more cooler to remove special arrows altogether and replace them with adrenaline bars and multiple key pressing. Shooting arrows was one of the best part of Origins. Now ruined because you can't shoot more than 4 special arrows at a time.

3. Crafting was much more interesting in Origins. They even dumbed down hunting. Instead of hunting special animals, now you hunt whatever and all animals provide soft skins. In Origins you had to hunt leopards to craft that special upgrade, to hunt some exotic animals. In Odissey it's all replaced with insane amounts of soft skin. Like 200-300. What the ****. No wonder so many animals went extinct today, if some greek fuucktard, hunted 300 different animals too upgrade his shoes.

4. Enemy autoscaling on hard difficulty. There is no sense of progress on hard, all enemies scale with you regardless. All of them still can kill you with 3-4 hits, meanwhile they are damage sponges themselves, taking some 10-15 hits to be killed. I understand keeping challenging difficulty is important. But how about increasing my damage, without increasing already the high damage of my enemies huuh?. Really guys, hard difficulty is boring. Normal difficulty is even more boring. On normal difficulty, all enemies two levels below you stop making any damage to you. You can literally stay still, and damage will be minimum. I want the same high damage from my enemies, but also my damage shod be increased if I outleveled them. But nooo, on hard difficulty, enemies start hitting like heavyweights and you, even with a legendary weapon, hit like with a spoon. Origins on hard was way more balanced and interesting to play.

4. Unreal grinding. No. UNREAL GRINDING. if you play on hard, I am scared of leveling up. You level up, all your enemies level up automatically, but your equipment becomes shit. You need to upgrade it or else you will make even less damage your were doing a level ago. WTF. And in order to upgrade you need resources. In insane quantities.

For the first time in my life I see a game with the worse grinding than a fucking MMO. It's a single player game, guys, with the biggest grinding i have ever seen in my life. Even World of Warcraft was way more entertaining.

And in order to get those resources, you MUST take auto generated side quests. The boring ones. Because oh no, yo want get resources from hand crafted side quests.

On hard difficulty, you play an assassin that with a hidden blade only does half damage unless you level up assassin skills to the maximum. But you can't level up to the maximum. Because fucking grinding. in a single player game.

Fook Assassin Odyssey. Fook the reviewers who say is the best than Origins and all previous Assassin Creed.

The main story is very good though. Exploration mode is a step in right direction. But grinding, auto-scaling difficulty that nullifies your upgrades and progress, boring side quests make this game very unbearable after a long play session.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

While I have not played the game; this isn't the first time I've seen these issues pop up for this game. One big thing that caused me to hold off on the game was that numerous reviewers stated the game feels like a chore; especially the side quests. I also did read that the main story is pretty good as well as the exploration.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

The fact everything scales with you is incredibly lame.

It's still a great game, though.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

its not possible for side quests to be less detailed than origins since origins really only had 1 side quest that would would repeat over and over again. im sure its more of the same.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34567 Posts

Well, Origins sucked and made sure I wont even think about getting another AC game ever again. Don't really need anyone telling me Odyssey sucks or is great. I can see perfectly fine myself that it's a shitty game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

@m3dude1: I disagree with you and agree with TC. Origins had a lot of interesting side quests that made you want to explore, figure out the puzzle, find the best path or actually made you feel involved with the people. Origins had side quests that involved kids, farmers, mercenaries, satanists, old friends, poor people in need, people who got betrayed etc etc etc. Now I haven't played odyssey even though I plan on getting it, but that's bad news to hear. I think Origins was a very well balanced game but keeping in mind you like exploring the dense detailed world. Origins is easily a 9.5/10 for me let's see how odyssey turns out for me. When I finish the game I will write back here about the same points you criticised TC.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@jahnee said:

@m3dude1: I disagree with you and agree with TC. Origins had a lot of interesting side quests that made you want to explore, figure out the puzzle, find the best path or actually made you feel involved with the people. Origins had side quests that involved kids, farmers, mercenaries, satanists, old friends, poor people in need, people who got betrayed etc etc etc. Now I haven't played odyssey even though I plan on getting it, but that's bad news to hear. I think Origins was a very well balanced game but keeping in mind you like exploring the dense detailed world. Origins is easily a 9.5/10 for me let's see how odyssey turns out for me. When I finish the game I will write back here about the same points you criticised TC.

can you name any quests that were anything other than going to a bandit camp and bringing someone or something back?

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

@ivangrozny:

Your comment about side quests is just plain wrong.

I took a couple of the ambient quests in Megaris at the beginning, realised they were auto generated and then never touched them again until endgame.

The actual side quests are incredibly detailed and are some of the best content in the entire game.

The battle for Mykonos.

Hunting the Minotaur.

Hunting the fake Minotaur.

Battle of a hundred hands.

Just to name a few.

These are all side quests.

Never ran into any of the “grind” people are talking about. Pick up bounties that you complete just by playing the game and you’re always above recommended level for everything.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@ivangrozny: I can tell you didn't put much time into Odyssey. There's a quest where you're supposed to hunt around 10 legendary animals hidden in the world.

Also, do the Family Values quest.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

2. Controls. Controls got worse. Especially archery. Now to shoot a fucking arrow I need to press like 3 fucking different keys. To shot one fucking arrow. Instead of switching between arrow type, some genius had an idea that it would be more cooler to remove special arrows altogether and replace them with adrenaline bars and multiple key pressing. Shooting arrows was one of the best part of Origins. Now ruined because you can't shoot more than 4 special arrows at a time.

I am genuinely curious about this. What exactly is the control layout for archery? And which input (platform) were you playing?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

It's fun but, as I've been saying for what feels like years now, the game world is too damn big and too dilute.

@AdobeArtist said:
@ivangrozny said:

I am genuinely curious about this. What exactly is the control layout for archery? And which input (platform) were you playing?

He is complaining that instead of having access to ALL skills at one time, they've decided to have a four-slot "skill bar"; in other words, while your character might have access to six archery skills total, you can only have access to four of them at any one time. You get four slots for melee, and four slots for archery.

IMO it adds tactical depth to the game, but in a cheap way. It's fun, though; forces you to choose carefully. I play an assassin-warrior so I need to often swap out a more stealth-based skill for an active combat if I go from silently raiding a camp to full-on combat with a fort, for example.

As for gameplay mechanics, I am on PC and it's easy; I hold down right-click to bring up my bow, and then a hit 1-4 to toggle my skill, if needed. I then hold down primary click to draw the string. That's it. It's fairly intuitive. All arrows are shot the same way, think of toggling the skill as "loading" your bow with that skill; so for example if I use multishot, I press the corresponding key and I "Load" my bow with four arrows, drag my reticle over four enemies, then release by holding then releasing primary click.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

I disagree with just about everything the OP stated except the auto leveling. I think that does dull the sense of advancement a bit, especially in a game with so many leveled territories.

Other than that, I think the gameplay is very fun. The powerful arrows being linked to adrenaline makes attacking forts even more strategic than Origins, since you could take out most enemies in Origins just sniping. You can't do that as much here in Odyssey so it changes your plan of attack a bit.

Overall, this might be my game of this gen of console, it's certainly rivaling HZD for me. It has fun gameplay, great graphics, some good characters (some of the quest givers are very well thought out and some are hilarious), I love the setting and time period, there are a large variety of things to do. I love a good game with a huge world, it means I can keep playing. I blew through Spiderman in 4 days (EVERYTHING except some of the random crimes were complete). I'm level 39 in Odyssey and there is still a TON to do and explore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

@m3dude1: That's a very two dimensional way of looking at it. For example in shooters you just got to shoot at their heads, but each attributing mechanic changes the approach so each situation is unique. Yes bringing back loot, people or treasure is key in this game. Yet here I was horse racing(mini game) after I beat my drunk old friend, or saving a dog from the kids that knocked me and this other dude out (plot twists in side quests, story evolves and builds), or stopping an aligator invasion in a town, or solving a puzzle quest with messages found, or looting unique caves and uncover their secret passageways, or some random crime scene that needs to be uncovered. There are many, many different things to do in this world that can be counted for as side quests. Gear building, building senu's vision, raiding guard locations, attacking those assassins that are after you, loot collecting, exploring secret locations and the list goes on. Bayek and his side quests and their original context there of feel very relatable and engaging. Couple that with the very unique locations and you can approach the mission the way you want even if the outcome is to bring 'something/someone' back. Mechanically there are enough tools and skills available to make each mission enjoyable but that depends entirely on the player. You can just plainly rush in sword fight everybody and retreive your item, sure, but then you are not playing RPG's to their full extend and fun potential, especially since it's about how you execute your mission and explore around the level design.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56035 Posts

Honestly though, this isn't what I called an Assassin's Creed game. More like, "Warrior's Creed" is a sense.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Eh, really it's your fault for being a fan of this series.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

I would not play a game like this on hard.

When your level and equipment are just as important if not more important then actual skill - I would just stick to normal and probably drop it to easy anytime something felt frustrating.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IvanGrozny

@mrbojangles25 said:

It's fun but, as I've been saying for what feels like years now, the game world is too damn big and too dilute.

@AdobeArtist said:
@ivangrozny said:

He is complaining that instead of having access to ALL skills at one time, they've decided to have a four-slot "skill bar"; in other words, while your character might have access to six archery skills total, you can only have access to four of them at any one time. You get four slots for melee, and four slots for archery.

IMO it adds tactical depth to the game, but in a cheap way. It's fun, though; forces you to choose carefully. I play an assassin-warrior so I need to often swap out a more stealth-based skill for an active combat if I go from silently raiding a camp to full-on combat with a fort, for example.

As for gameplay mechanics, I am on PC and it's easy; I hold down right-click to bring up my bow, and then a hit 1-4 to toggle my skill, if needed. I then hold down primary click to draw the string. That's it. It's fairly intuitive. All arrows are shot the same way, think of toggling the skill as "loading" your bow with that skill; so for example if I use multishot, I press the corresponding key and I "Load" my bow with four arrows, drag my reticle over four enemies, then release by holding then releasing primary click.

I am currently playing with the dualshock controller on my pc, and the controls are not very intuitive to say the least. If i remeber well, you must activate bow skills with right trigger, choose bow skill with, let's say a predatory shot, with a circle, then draw the bow with left trigger and shoot with the right button, or hold the right button to guide the arrow, all the while aiming with the left stick. Meanwhile in Origins, it was literally just draw the bow and shoot if i remember well. It's good to know that on mouse/keyboard the controls are better. I will switch to it next time.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

How the hell are you having trouble with the controls? Get good.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And here's me thinking people would have learned after Brotherhood and Revelations.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
@ivangrozny said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@AdobeArtist said:
@ivangrozny said:

I am currently playing with the dualshock controller on my pc, and the controls are not very intuitive to say the least. If i remeber well, you must activate bow skills with right trigger, choose bow skill with, let's say a predatory shot, with a circle, then draw the bow with left trigger and shoot with the right button, or hold the right button to guide the arrow, all the while aiming with the left stick. Meanwhile in Origins, it was literally just draw the bow and shoot if i remember well. It's good to know that on mouse/keyboard the controls are better. I will switch to it next time.

Hold on.... now I get that holding right trigger is for arming the bow and going into aim view, while left trigger is for pulling the string (basically arming the shot), which is how archery has been done in all games on console, and similarly on PC using the left and right mouse buttons.

And now there's the added archery skill selection, basically deciding on how the arrow (or multiple) is fired, instead of arming a different bow for the attack type. OK, so that IS new.

BUT... are you really telling me after going into holding the bow/aim view and arming the shot.... that there's a separate button for firing it?? And not simply.... releasing the string (releasing the trigger) that in itself should fire the arrow? Is THIS how Ubi has it set when the formula for "pull and release" which is how bows actually work, and was already established by them and every other developer??

Am I reading this right??

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By IvanGrozny

@AdobeArtist said:
@ivangrozny said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@AdobeArtist said:

Hold on.... now I get that holding right trigger is for arming the bow and going into aim view, while left trigger is for pulling the string (basically arming the shot), which is how archery has been done in all games on console, and similarly on PC using the left and right mouse buttons.

And now there's the added archery skill selection, basically deciding on how the arrow (or multiple) is fired, instead of arming a different bow for the attack type. OK, so that IS new.

BUT... are you really telling me after going into holding the bow/aim view and arming the shot.... that there's a separate button for firing it?? And not simply.... releasing the string (releasing the trigger) that in itself should fire the arrow? Is THIS how Ubi has it set when the formula for "pull and release" which is how bows actually work, and was already established by them and every other developer??

Yep, you are correct. If you release the left trigger, you just stop the drawing. You shoot with the right button. It required me some muscle memory retraining to get accustomed to that.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7219 Posts

Enjoyed origins I have heard odyssey has more of a grind which worries me.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AdobeArtist  Moderator
@ivangrozny said:
@AdobeArtist said:
@ivangrozny said:

Yep, you are correct. If you release the left trigger, you just stop the drawing. You shoot with the right button. It required me some muscle memory retraining to get accustomed to that.

That is just mind boggling. So illogical and incongruous to emulating bow mechanics in games. In Shadow of the Tomb Raider, releasing the string prematurely also means not firing the arrow. The reason for this being that you're required to pull all the way before releasing to fire the shot. There's 5 bows in the game (that I know of), each uniquely spec'd for the attributes of Damage, Draw Speed, Fire Rate, and Hold Time. And you can't release early to fire off a quicker shot, even at the sacrifice of the full damage of the arrow from the bow. Nope, it's gotta be a full pull or no fire at all. So the only way to get faster firing is to equip a bow rated for higher Draw Speed and of course Fire Rate. It's the players choice of high impact OR sustained firing.

@mrbojangles25 can you verify that on PC it's just "pull and release", with the added skill selection during the arming?

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Of course Odyssey is worse!

Only good thing in odyssey is the gorgeous graphics. The rest is just meh, or downright rubbish.

The combat does not work as well as in Origins, the game forces you to grind way too much, the map conquest is plain boring chore...

While I loved exploring the map in Odyssey, the main game itself was so f-ing boring chore that I quit.

Now I'm replaying Origins again. Its just so much better in every way.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

If its worse than origins. it maybe worst in series because origins is imo worst AC game ever. its not like series was good to begin with except black flag which was good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#26 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

None are good. You keep buying it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:
@ivangrozny said:
@AdobeArtist said:
@ivangrozny said:

@mrbojangles25 can you verify that on PC it's just "pull and release", with the added skill selection during the arming?

It's pull and release.

How to shoot a "quick shot" (standard, unpowered shot):

1. Hold right click to equip and aim bow

2. Aim, while holding right click

3. Tap left click to fire a weak, quick arrow

How to shoot a "powered shot" (standard, charged shot)

2. Aim, while holding right click

3. Hold down left click to charge shot, then release to fire.

How to shoot a bow-skill shot:

2. Select corresponding key (1-4) to select skill while holding right click

3. Aim, while holding right click

4. Either tap (for quick shot) or hold (for charged shot) left click to fire.

How to cancel your shot:

1. Release right click to cancel bow shot at any point, even when you have a charged shot qued up.

It works exactly how you think it should. As I said, intuitive. The only slightly (slightly!) weird thing is that your bow skills are not one-offs; in other words, after you use the bow skill, it remains selected so you might find yourself using the same skill twice in a row if you don't release right click. It can be a little frustrating when you do a powerful attack and want to do a quick follow-up standard shot but accidentally waste the adrenaline on a skill shot. Not a big deal, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I got in on the Project Stream beta. I’m more interested in the performance of the service than actual Assassins Creed though.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

I disagree. Having played both in depth, I personally like Odyssey a lot more.

kalashnjkov19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kalashnjkov19
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
@WitIsWisdom said:

Odyssey is more like RPG than Origins and definitely more addictive but Origins has better atmosphere and feels more AC.

OP already said he is a big fan of Assassin Creed.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

@kalashnjkov19 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

Odyssey is more like RPG than Origins and definitely more addictive but Origins has better atmosphere and feels more AC.

Fair enough, but I still feel that Odyssey is a better game. I feel it has the better atmosphere. However, I must say that YES Origins feels more like classic AC, but that's mainly because Odyssey takes place before there was rules.. so to speak. I can see where one might prefer the more contained assassin instead of a mercenary that can pretty much do whatever he pleases, but that is one of the things I like most about the game... the fact it removes some minor annoyances. I love the fact that if some random NPC pisses me off that I can just kill them now... lol. You also get more choices in Odyssey and can help who you want to help at the time.. or just say screw it and be in it for yourself. Also, yes, Odyssey feels much more like an RPG, but that is another thing I really like about it. It's like playing The Elder Scrolls mixed in with AC... In my opinion you can't go wrong there. I love the exploration, and everything there is to find, I also love how they didn't stick to such a realistic script but still get the historical parts across well. My biggest complaint is actually in the fact that the main character tries to have sex with every person they run into... lol

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:
@kalashnjkov19 said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

Fair enough, but I still feel that Odyssey is a better game. I feel it has the better atmosphere. However, I must say that YES Origins feels more like classic AC, but that's mainly because Odyssey takes place before there was rules.. so to speak. I can see where one might prefer the more contained assassin instead of a mercenary that can pretty much do whatever he pleases, but that is one of the things I like most about the game... the fact it removes some minor annoyances. I love the fact that if some random NPC pisses me off that I can just kill them now... lol. You also get more choices in Odyssey and can help who you want to help at the time.. or just say screw it and be in it for yourself. Also, yes, Odyssey feels much more like an RPG, but that is another thing I really like about it. It's like playing The Elder Scrolls mixed in with AC... In my opinion you can't go wrong there. I love the exploration, and everything there is to find, I also love how they didn't stick to such a realistic script but still get the historical parts across well. My biggest complaint is actually in the fact that the main character tries to have sex with every person they run into... lol

These games have gotten so much better. I already have 30 hours in Odyssey and I put 38 into Origins. I never put that much time into the old games. I just wish they'd get rid of that Animus garbage. No, I don't want to go back to the "real" world and listen to their stupid stories.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

For a second, considering the original poster, thought this thread read "Ok guys Assassin Creed Odyssey is worse because it has a woman as a lead"

TeamworkGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TeamworkGaming
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

I'm actually nobody ever talks about the incredibly terribly horrible voice acting. I don't even listen to the the npcs anymore.

I actually hate Alexios, he sounds and acts like a fucking barbarian. And yeah.. he's got a persona of a fucking monkey.

Can't belive I created this account just to post this.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Your fault for buying ass creed. All of those games are trash. Have some shame.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@teamworkgaming: i can't believe you bumped a 9 month old thread. Please don't necro post